Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

helicarrier
    http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc48...ssius1.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; width:400px; height: 350px; border:1px solid #333333;">

Cassius Lestrange
    :I feel like, I would like to be somewhere else doing something that matters and I'll admit here, while I sit here my mind wastes away and my doubts start to gather

Cash still hadn't found his cat and now he had to go meet Faline Prewett at the carnival. Faline Prewett, his betrothed. Faline Prewett, better known as Not Eli. She was also a gryffindor, the younger sister of one of the boys on the Hufflepuff team. He was not enthused.

He gave up on looking for Aelius, told Bucket to let him know if she turned up, and walked there. He was, he had been told, to find the Prewett girl and her chaperone (or whatever, he hadn't really been paying attention to the instructions in favor of freaking out.)

The governess apparently had brown hair, and Not Eli was a redhead. If he hadn't been a seeker he would have doubted his ability to find them in the crowd, but he was, and he had a lot of experience with sighting things that may or may not have wanted to be spotted.

He wandered for a few minutes before spotting them and, sighing, decided he might as well do what he was supposed to.

Cassius faked a smile. "Miss Prewett?" he inquired, trying not to sound like he resented her existence. "I'm Cassius Lestrange." She probably knows that already, the arrogant quidditch player aspect of his personality piped up. Still, it was good to be... polite?

I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    • Even though Faline had a lot of things that she would rather be doing, heading to the carnival was a good replacement. She was also alerted to that she would meet her betrothed, a certain Mister Cassius Lestrange four years her senior. But, she was to marry him without question after graduation in several years. She had a long way to go yet, but meeting Cassius sooner rather than later was beneficial for both of the young students. Faline was dressed in simple summer dress with her hair in a rather relaxed style. It was summertime for the almost twelve year old, and that meant as much rule breaking as was possible. She was still a girl and Faline took full advantage of that fact.

Faline just wanted to ditch her governess, but Cassius was supposed to look for both her and Mrs. Louisa Bennett. Mrs Bennett was not exactly the nicest person Faline knew, but Faline most certainly hated being around her. She was such a fun-sucker. At every attraction that the eleven year old wanted to see, her governess told her how dangerous it was, or the tricks behind how the performers did things. It was not a good day thus far. Then, Faline heard a masculine voice address her. Holding up her hand to her governess, she turned and saw the boy who introduced himself as Cassius Lestrange. "How do you do?" she inquired, forcing her tone to be polite as she went down into an awkward curtsey. "This is Mrs. Bennett, Mister Lestrange," she introduced her governess.

"Enjoying your day, Mister Lestrange?"
    http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc48...ssius1.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; width:400px; height: 350px; border:1px solid #333333;">

Cassius Lestrange
    :I feel like, I would like to be somewhere else doing something that matters and I'll admit here, while I sit here my mind wastes away and my doubts start to gather

Cassius nodded to the governess, who looked vaguely as grumpy as his own had. (Of course, his had a reason - Cash's obsessions with mysteries had, as a child, sometimes resulted in his constructing elaborate murder-schemes that he forced her to put up with. Also, he doubted the Lestranges were at all easy to work for.) He felt a spark of pity for Faline, thought it faded quickly because, again, she was not Eli. Ugh.

"I must say that it's been rather uneventful so far," he said pleasantly, "although my cat is missing again, which is a tad concerning." It would have been more if she didn't pull this sort of thing every few months. He was, however, worried simply due to the fact that Tiberius was in the house and in Cash's head Tib was a serial murderer.

"And how has yours been, Miss Prewett?" he inquired in turn. He wished the governess wasn't there so he could at least call her by her first name. Miss Prewett made him feel like he was his father or Tiberius, a feeling Cash did not appreciate. He missed the safe familiarity of the dorm.

set by MJ!

• Cassius had spoken of a cat. Faline liked cats. Well, in truth, Faline liked most animals, not just cats. She felt the need to pipe up about the cat, but he started talking again, so she kept quiet. She just looked up at him with a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. He soon, however, inquired about her day. She looked up at her governess with clear disdain in her eyes, but she fought and won over her emotions to be hidden. She looked over to her betrothed and swung her arms back and forth. "It has been rather boring, I must admit," Faline said in her tiny, girlish, eleven-year-old voice.

She looked up at the old governess again. "Although all my fun has been ruined," she paused. "Mrs. Bennett has given all the secrets to most of the acts and has disappointed my expectations. I have thought about going and seeing some of the animal acts, but there has hardly been anything interesting thus far. I am sorry about your cat," she murmured. Whenever Cassius addressed her, she felt older, wiser, and not as if she was eleven years old. She smiled again and kept waving her arms in the childish manner. She had yet to grow up and Faline knew that her governess was growing angrier by the minute. "What does your kitty look like, Mister Lestrange?" Faline asked softly, batting her large green eyes. "'Cuz I have a kitty, too! His name is Maximus and he's a tabby..."
    OOC: Faline's kitty for reference. x)
    Cassius glanced at the governess and smirked. "Well, that is a shame," he said, turning back to Faline. Governesses were, in his opinion, universally grumpy fun-killers. (Of course, he wasn't about to say that around a governess. Maybe if he ever wrote the redhead a letter.)

Cash genuinely smiled at her when she asked him about his cat. "I like that name," he said. "Her name is Aelius, but my roommates at school usually just call her The Cat," he explained. "She's mostly black."

He realized, on a distant level, that he had decided that he liked Faline. Damn. Resenting her had been a bit easier. "Maybe we can get them to meet someday," he said, wondering loosely how well Aelius played with cats she was not forced to coexist with in the Lestrange house.
    set by MJ!

• As her betrothed talked about his cat, Faline smiled. "She seems adorable!" the eleven year old squeaked with enthusiasm. The redhead kept rocking back and forth on her heels and looked to Mrs. Bennett. The woman had a look of displeasure on her face but Faline looked back to Cassius, continuing to rock back and forth on her heels. Faline was probably ruining her new shoes, but the eleven year old did not care. She was bored and the situation with Cassius Lestrange was forever awkward as she had no idea what to say or do. This was their first meeting and certainly the start of their getting to know each other.

He then voiced a suggestion. Faline stopped rocking on her heels and looked back from her governess to her betrothed and back again. "Well, uhm," she started. "Maximus isn't very social and," she paused, "he scratched one of my roommate's kitties and I can't take him back to school no moreà" Faline looked at Cassius. "I swear I didn't know he would do it! It was an accident!" Faline started rocking on her heels as if to relieve the pressure she felt from the incident. It was an accident. Faline did not intentionally set Maximus out on a mission to go scratch another cat. It just sort ofà happened.

Faline looked up to Cash. "I am sorry," she swung her arms around her in a childish way. She was embarrassed and she could feel Mrs. Bennett's eyes burning through her. "I need to practice my etiquette more," she mused out loud and Faline stopped rocking. "Pardon my manners, Mister Lestrange!" she exclaimed rather suddenly. "But maybe we could go play some carnival games to pass the time? Standing here talking is a littleà strange."
    It took most of Cash's control to not laugh out loud at the story. The corners of his lips quirked up and his shoulders shook for a second, but he managed it. The Lestrange house made him good at that.

He needed to see Eli soon.

"I'm sure it was, Miss Prewett," he said, voice level. She was the same age as Cornelia, roughly. He wasn't sure that he entirely believed that. Faline just seemed younger than his sister. It was weird, but not something he wanted to concern himself with at the moment. What he wanted to was, well-

Mostly quidditch, actually. He wasn't sure what to do to absolve her of her etiquette failings so he just nodded, because as a child he had been just as energetic. (When he wasn't subdued in the library or his room with a stack of books, that is.)

"I agree," he said simply. "Lead the way, Miss Prewett." Games were fun. Game required a lot less talking and a lot more... concentration on the games. Yes. Good.

He didn't like this.
    set by MJ!

• Faline was struggling to be mature. She knew she would be forced to practice etiquette and all her feminine duties the moment she returned home until she was forced to sleep and then the moment she woke up next she would be stitching and rehearsing etiquette lines and rehearsing her French. Oh did she hate having to fake maturity around people. When she was alone in her dormitory she was as childish as she could be. She was for a different age. She did not want to grow up. She wanted to be eight years old, immature, and as na´ve as possible for her entire life. Faline most certainly was not thinking of being married away to the boy four years her senior standing right in front of her.

"This way!" she exclaimed heading off to the direction of one of the stalls that had a carnival game. The four foot two inch tall girl could just barely stand comfortably to look at the games. She pointed at the carnival game of chance involving memory. "Let's play this one, Mister Lestrange!" she happily suggested. Faline was going to start trying to act her age. She wanted to impress Cassius, not scare him. She wanted to make her parents proud, not embarrassed. Faline had work to do. This would not end up well, but she would be twelve in the eyes of the present, not the baby of the future.
    Cassius followed her. She was rather tiny, this Prewett girl. That was good, he supposed: Cash very likely wasn't going to get much taller. Not that he wanted to marry her. He didn't. If it had been at all possible to marry Eli, he would have done that. It was a shame that he couldn't. And Cash thought that maybe having a betrothed would take some of the suspicion off of him, even though nobody really was suspicious. After all, he was a Lestrange.

And Lestranges didn't do things like that.

Shit, he was going to have to tell Eli about Faline Prewett.

Not tonight, though. Tonight he was going to play a game with his very young betrothed. "Okay, Miss Prewett," he said, fishing in his pockets for the bronze coins the game required. He handed them to the carnie running the stand and glanced at the redhead. Was her brother on the Hufflepuff quidditch team?

Damnit, that wasn't on topic. He tried to pay attention to the game instead. He wasn't very good at this sort of memory thing - he was the sort of person to act first and worry later. But damn it, if he could remember the weird little things Eli did, he could remember this stuff long enough to at least compete with an eleven-year-old child. If only because she wasn't a Ravenclaw.
    set by MJ!

Thread-bombing. ;D Feel free to totally ignore Eli if you'd rather.

<style type="text/css">.notes { opacity:0.0; font-family: 'Open Sans Condensed', sans-serif; font-size:14px; color: white;text-align: right; height: 170px; width: 300px; padding: 50px; text-transform: uppercase; line-height: 130%; background-color:#000; -webkit-transition: opacity .6s linear; -moz-transition: opacity .6s linear; -o-transition: opacity .6s linear; }.notes:hover { opacity: .78 }</style>
    http://greenobles.com/data_images/mitch-...wer-02.jpg);">

tag: cash & faline

place: carnival

time: midday

Though nothing Will keep us together

We could steal time Just for one day

We can be Heroes For ever and ever

What d'you say

We Could Be Us ;; just for one day

Eli should have been out working--that was, playing on the streets and hoping for spare coin--but for some reason, at least at this stage of the summer, the allure of the Carnival was irresistable. They wouldn't let him play anywhere here--he had tried last summer, and some of the bigger Carnies had chased him off. They had their own musicians and their own customers, regardless of whether Eli could play better than any of the Carnie musicians (which he could). The Carnies, though, had a family loyalty and a devotion to their Circus, and little appreciation for a fine artist.

Even though he didn't have a single coin to spare, Eli was wandering the booths, looking at the games, eying the merchandice, and gazing up longingly at the posters advertising the shows; he could see them if he managed to sneak under the bleachers and peer through paying customer's legs, but most of the ladies had too many skirts and he couldn't really see, and any unobstructed view had a ticket price associated with it--too much for a boy with no coin to waste on a trifling amusement.

Out of the corner of his eye, Eli spotted Cash, and raised his arm to wave, but caught himself just beforehand. He hadn't been expecting to see Cash, and his face had burst out into a smile at the very sight of him, but he remembered that Cash, being a Lestrange, rarely went out alone. Sure enough, when he bothered to look, his best friend--his love--had some very small girl in tow, and an older woman, and maybe even more people that Eli couldn't see. The girl was probably family, he assumed--not one of the Lestranges who was in school, since Eli had met all of those, or if not met them, been able to pick them out of a crowd, and this redhead was unfamiliar--but he knew that Cash had another sister at home, and it made the most sense for him to be out with another family member. And Eli made a point of not meeting any of the Lestranges and associating himself with Cash--because he knew what every one of them would think of someone like him.

Still, the girl didn't look the part of a Lestrange; none of the other siblings he'd met had that red hair, or those freckles, or that particular facial structure--but whether she was a Lestrange or a Potter or a Peverell or only one of the other million pureblood clans, she was Pureblood, none the less, Eli was sure of it. Which meant she was Cash's family, and probably just as unlikely to disapprove of him.

Still, his heart ached to see Cash again--it had been almost a week, a long time for boys who slept mere feet from each other every night. Biting his lip, Eli wondered whether it was worth the risk to try and get Cash's attention.

thanks!
    I was late for this * late for that
    late for the love of my life
    but when I die alone * when I die alone
    when I die, I'll be on time

• Out of the corner of her eye, Faline saw a boy of about Cassius' age, but she paid no mind. They could be classmates for the boy certainly did not seem to be a carnie for he was not dressed in any weird costume. Faline seemed to understand the memory game and did well, but she was easily bored. "Mister Lestrange," she started. "You seem distracted and I apologize for my previous terrible behavior. She wanted to act her age, not younger as she had previously acted. She had manners, Faline knew this. Cassius probably knew that Faline had etiquette courses and the act of rocking back and forth on her heels was a coping mechanism, but one that was inappropriate for her display in public.

She looked over to her betrothed and smiled out of the corner of her mouth. "I am sincerely apologetic, Mister Lestrange. It was inappropriate for me to act that way and I will no longer act as if I have no manners. I am not a heathen child and I hope you will forgive me," she felt the eyes of her governess lose its heat. Faline was apparently doing something right. She wanted to make Cassius approve of her in a way that would be acceptable in all high society. She was embarrassed at varying degrees and she knew that she embarrassed her parents at certain formal scenes. With the betrothal to Cassius, Faline was certain that it was a plot to make Faline grow up and it was working.

Oh boy did she need to be a twelve year old; a real twelve year old; a girl that would make her parents proud and make Cassius love her. That would be the day. She wanted to make a statement to her parents. She was grown up enough. This night at the Summer Solstice Festival would certainly make her realize that she was growing up and making everything to make her parents happy was going to happen. Faline would do it. She had to.
    <style type="text/css">.notes { opacity:0.0; font-family: 'Open Sans Condensed', sans-serif; font-size:14px; color: white;text-align: right; height: 170px; width: 300px; padding: 50px; text-transform: uppercase; line-height: 130%; background-color:#000; -webkit-transition: opacity .6s linear; -moz-transition: opacity .6s linear; -o-transition: opacity .6s linear; }.notes:hover { opacity: .78 }</style>
    http://greenobles.com/data_images/mitch-...wer-02.jpg);">

tag: cash & faline

place: carnival

time: midday

Though nothing Will keep us together

We could steal time Just for one day

We can be Heroes For ever and ever

What d'you say

We Could Be Us ;; just for one day

Before he'd had time to think things through in any sort of fashion, Eli saw the girl, the little redhead, turn to say something to Cash, and though he couldn't really tell what she was saying or whether Cash was responding, there was something familiar about the scene. What was it?

The sun caught the glint of fire in the little girl's hair. Her fingers fidgetted aimlessly, like someone who was bored, or perhaps nervous. Her clear eyes gazed up at Cash with--oh, yes, that was the familiar part of the scene. Someone looking at Cash with longing, blushing for Cash, focused on Cash. Being Cassius' best friend had given Eli a first-hand view of any girl who'd ever liked him, and they had been many: middle class girls who liked his last name and the wealth associated more than they did his personality; shy girls who would watch the Quidditch games with the same keen attention Eli always did; bold Ravenclaws who would form study groups and include Cash because they wanted to make sure he passed Transfiguration. Eli had seen them all, and most faded throughout time, especially when Cash seemed rather oblivious and uninterested.

So whichever category this little girl fit into, she was definitely giving Cash those eyes, and he was walking with her and talking with her and taking her to a Carnival, which was more attention he'd given... well, any girl in the past. Doing it because he had to, or because he actually liked this one? Either way, he was encouraging that little spark.

Eli felt sick. He didn't want to watch this. The Carnival could wait for another day. He would go find his violin, and play somewhere--somewhere he couldn't possibly run into Cash. Or maybe he'd hit the road and hitch onto the backs of carriages all the way to London and spend his summer there. Whatever he was doing, he wasn't going to stay here any longer, he thought as he turned to leave.

thanks!
    I was late for this * late for that
    late for the love of my life
    but when I die alone * when I die alone
    when I die, I'll be on time

ooc: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cash had masked the art of pretending to pay attention when people were talking to him and he didn't care. (When pressed, he would have said he learned this in his first year Transfiguration class.) It came in handy when he was talking with his mother. It was also useful now - because he caught sight of Eli, and thought his heart stopped a little bit. He was excited to see him, because this was Eli and he liked him a lot, but there was also the tiny red-headed problem beside him. Ballocks. Maybe he and Claude could form a club - the 'betrothed to women we don't want to be betrothed to' club. It was a shame that Tiberius hadn't taken this one, although Cassius supposed that she was too much of a Gryffindor for him.

Eli was leaving. He wasn't sure how he felt about that, really, but decided that it might as well be a good thing. Faline and Eli did not co-exist in his head well, for obvious reasons. He dismissed it, decided to pretend none of it had ever happened, and went back to actually paying attention to his betrothed.

"It's quite alright, Miss Prewett," he said, half-smiling at her. She was certainly something. He supposed if she wasn't his betrothed he may have even tried to befriend her. No, probably not. She was a Gryffindor.

"What's your favorite class?" Cash asked, a spontaneous sentence. He hoped to Merlin that it wasn't Transfiguration.
    set by MJ!

• Faline just watched Cash. It was then, as she was watching him, she noticed how short he was in comparison to some of the other boys she knew. Although in complete honesty she was short, too. She was barely over three feet high and she was almost twelve! She was doomed to forever be short, but, in hindsight, Faline was getting taller much to her own pleasureà but the growing was well, slow-going. The redhead looked down and around before setting her eyes on her governess who gave her a stern look of displeasure. Apparently she was not behaving the way a proper eleven, almost twelve, year old should act.

"I like Charms," Faline said, trying to act more delicate for her chaperone slash governess lady. "I also enjoy Potions, well," she paused, "I do not have a specific favorite I suppose. I like all of my classes. There is something interesting in each of them. I believe I have an affinity," she struggled for that one, "for Charms and Potions first and foremost." Faline looked out of the corner of her eye to Mrs. Bennett, seeking a curt nod of approval. She got it, barely. Faline turned her eyes back to Cassius.

"Perhaps it is time for us to part ways for the night, Mister Lestrange. I need to do some review before I forget all of my school lessons. Missus Bennett says that I need to practice everything from school before bed. I will be tested on it before school starts in September. I apologize for leaving so abruptly!" Faline curtsied and took Mrs. Bennett's hand firmly and followed her governess lady and headed for the exit, preparing herself mentally for the reprimanding to come.
    Charms and Potions. That wasn't bad. Cash wasn't terrible at Charms, he just didn't really care about the class. Potions, though, he was good at, and it wasn't bad that his future wife was interested in the class... It was bad that she was very likely his future wife, though. That was weird. He didn't want to have a wife ever, especially not some tiny redhead.

He watched as she left, quirking an eyebrow. "Goodbye, Miss Prewett!" he called after her. Well, apart from a few blips, that had been mostly painless. Huh. At least he hadn't gotten an annoying betrothed.

Cash went to buy a candied apple and then went home, still thinking rather hard.
    set by MJ!