Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
The Language of the Flowers was a popular method to express feelings where words might be improper, but did you know other means of doing so? Some ladies used their parasols, as well as their fans, gloves, and hankies to flirt with a gentleman (or alternatively, tell them to shove it!). — Bree ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Brigit Langley for Fletcher Langley.
The Matchmaking Menace
This boy, then. He wasn't new. Wasn't one of the worst people in the common room, those rotten rich boys - like Mr. Jailkeeper - who could not fathom a world beyond their own farts. Was a good working class lad, so he'd heard. Had a bit of a weird looking face, and a bit of a weird thing for preaching. Still.Aubrey Davis in The Under-Sofa
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Post 3+ times in three or more class threads during the course of a school year. Must all be done with the same character, be they a professor, student, or school portrait or ghost!
>
<

Much Too Long
February 19, 1889 - Riley Home, Wellingtonshire, Hogsmeade

@Calliope Riley

The cold of February lingered, hampering social calls and events, and leaving Seraphina quite annoyed at the lack of activity. She could easily admit that the snow was beautiful and that she didn’t mind the cold with the charms and magic at her disposal, but that she did mind being cooped up in the house. Now that the holidays were done even the hunts had paused as society seemed content to huddle in their find homes and mind their own business. Of course this meant that Seraphina felt the desire to do just the opposite of just that.

The Riley home was not far from the Nott home making the short carriage ride through the streets of Wellingtonshire rather short, Seraphina hardly even felt a chill in her nose by the time she was let into her friend’s home and her cloak and muff collected from her. It was only moments later when she was shown into Calliope’s sitting room.

Calliope, it is so good to see you!” Seraphina greeted with a large smile. It had been much too long since she had seen her friend.
"Seraphina, my dear!" Calliope said, and once she had swanned into the room and greeted her friend, she waved her on impatiently to sit and dropped onto a chaise longue herself.

"How do you do?" She declared keenly, smiling over at the girl. Whilst she found a great many girls younger than her irritating, Seraphina was close enough in age to evade this pitfall, high enough in birth to be a useful connection, and of alike temperament enough to be an entertaining guest. Besides, Calliope enjoyed getting to play sage and worldly older-sister to girls like this - still debutantes, still pretty and youthful (and stupid for it) - who might appreciate her patronage more than her own sisters by blood ever had.

"I've not heard anything of you in Witch Weekly lately, so I have little enough idea of your recent exploits! You must fill me in on whatever mischief you are up to these days," Calliope teased with a lazy laugh, as though it was a joke. It wasn't: she did use gossip to keep up with her friends as much as her enemies. But of course Seraphina was too clever to let herself get slandered willy-nilly by the likes of the magazine. (Just her brother, then. Calliope could not say she had ever been particularly interested in the brother - but if there was gossip to be had there, she would just have to tease that out too.)

Seraphina had first met Calliope during Hogwarts. It had only taken her moments to place her as part of the right set and as such she felt completely at ease with Calliope, or as much as she ever did with anyone, after all she was all too aware of the way of the world.

She gracefully dropped onto a chair as if they were in the common room back at school, her skirts flaring about her artfully. “Well enough. Yourself?

Any witch worth her salt in their society knew to try and keep herself out of Witch Weekly. It happened of course, from time to time, but a lady should show better decorum than to allow it to get to that. Something that the former Miss Dippet could certainly learn a thing or two from. But Seraphina chuckled, knowing that Calliope, like herself, poured over the pages to stay informed on those not as smart as themselves. “Little enough mischief, I’m afraid. What with this winter and all I’m afraid I’m rather dull.” Seraphina replied lightly, waving it away. It was true enough given the winter so far, although she wasn’t sure if Calliope had yet to catch wind of Seraphina’s brush with the pink letters this fall, she had thought she’d swept up the whole mess rather well - other than an underlying desire to to prove the current Mrs. Devine quite unsuited to the job. “But enough of me, what of yourself?
"I'm as well as ever," Calliope returned, as though it would be an insult to imagine her and her life as anything less than resoundingly splendid. "Although I must say I'm disappointed to hear of your dullness," she chided, in jest. "If I am to relive my debutante days through you, you must give me something to work with!" She broke into a laugh as she beckoned in a maid with a tea tray and platter of fruits and cakes.

"Of course, I suppose it is the lack of events in the winter that are the real blight," she continued, with a veneer of understanding. "How are you ever to meet anyone worth anything?" Calliope upturned a hand as though consulting the heavens on the shameful state of the social calendar. "Your parents surely don't plan to betroth you next, do they?" They had just betrothed her brother - a desperate cover-up of less appropriate relations, if Witch Weekly was to be believed. But Seraphina surely had prospects she could solidify herself?

Calliope's sense of humor was welcome and much needed by Seraphina. Too often had she spent the afternoons lately listening to her mother or sister prattle on about something completely mundane and worth only a passing comment. She greeted the jest with a light laugh as she leaned forward for a cake. "I shall endeavor to provide such means then." She cheerfully agreed, keeping her secret tucked away for the moment.

"After this past summer I don't rightfully know. It seems every young man has gotten himself engaged with a scandal these days as well. There are positively no gentleman to be found when the season is dull." Although since September Seraphina hadn't allowed her eyes to be swayed by any either.

"I should say not!" Seraphina objected. She had no interest in bethrothals, she knew her mind and was quite determined to find a more than suitable match without such help from her family. "Warwick never has been much for making up his own mind." Nor had her sister for that matter. Her two siblings were easily swayed from their own minds. "I, on the other hand, know precisely how to make my move when the time comes. Father is well aware of that."