Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Book Quotes that you love
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    Quote:We accept the love we think we deserve.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    Quote:I had an amazing feeling when I finally held the tape in my hand. I just thought to myself that in the palm of my hand, there was this one tape that had all these memories and feelings and great joy and sadness. Right there in the palm of my hand. And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much these songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.

Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thanks!
    [Image: liOv9AE.png]
    avatar & signature created by the talented bex
    From Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. All of it is beautiful, but the opening just took my breath away today.
    Quote:In some distant arcade, a clock tower calls out six times and then stops. The young man slumps at his desk. He has come to the office at dawn, after another upheaval. His hair is uncombed and his trousers are too big. In his hands he holds twenty crumpled pages, his new theory of time, which he will mail today to the German journal of physics.

Tiny sounds from the city drift through the room. A milk bottle clinks on a stone. An awning is cranked in a shop on Marktgasse. A vegetable cart moves slowly through a street. A man and woman talk in hushed tones in a nearby apartment.
    I adore how, despite how brief and simple everything is, it just draws you in.
    [Image: LPmBfH3.png]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    [Image: 2vbk3zo.jpg] [Image: nxxLwFr.png]
    Quote:She felt a violent whirling in her head that pulled her down, pulled her somewhere beneath the surface of the earth. Someplace the dead lived: the dead whom at that moment she wanted to be among.

Girls of Riyadh <3 I like that this conveys one of the girl's sadness without being obnoxious, and I really like the description in general.
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    Quote:She froze with a plate in each hand and two more on her arm, eyes wide. Then she smiled. It was one full of undisguised happiness and a relief, and it lifted his heart.

This is what home feels like, he thought. Goddamned if it isn't.

-Under the Dome
    set by MJ!

So I started this book a while ago but haven't gotten to finish it but i still remember how the first page just brought me in. It's called The White Mare by Jules Watson

I'm just gonna share the whole prologue.

Quote:She was the child of my heart, though not of my body.

I remember her as a girl, running up the mountain path towards me with her amber hair flying, face twisted with weeping. I worried about her then, and how the jealous taunts of the other children could draw such tears. I feared she was weak, and would not survive what was coming. For it was both my gift and my curse to see some of her future.

Blood spattering wet sand.
    A green-eyed man in the prow of a boat.
    The sea closing over her head.
    And last, the cries of women on a battlefield, picking their way among the dead.

I knew she had a greater destiny to fulfil, but how would it unfold? That I did not know. As priestesses, we trumpet our powers of sight, but the truth is that it comes rarely, and never clearly.

I watched the girl closely from the day my elder sister birthed her and died. I remember her grasping my finger, milky eyes seeking my face, the tuft of red-gold hair still damp from the womb...ah, but these are a mother's musings.

What I did realize that day, was that she was one of the Many-born, who come back to live again and again. And that because of this, her gifts would be as great as her pains.

For this reason I could not help her. She had to grow into her strength. And so she did. Like the fierce salmon, she fought against the currents of people's jealousy, ambition, and awe. As her legs lengthended, so her face came into its form, losing the softness that had troubled me once. I saw also that she no longer cried - and in my priestess heart i felt relief.

But in my mother's heart, I wept for her.

I could not speak about her future - the blood, the man in the boat, the battle. My role was not to guide her course, but to build her courage and insight so that she could steer her own way through what would come.

For while we are caught like threads in the Mother's loom, we still have choice. I loved her more than my life - and so I wanted her to choose her path. Perhaps I would have done differently if I had know how it would hurt.

One thing only I clung to: although my sight hinted that many dark years were coming for the people of Alba, somehow, I know she was a link to our freedom.

History can turn on many things.
    On a word.
    On a sword blade.
    On a girl, running up a mountain path, amber hair flying in the wind.

The last part always got me. It is just so beautiful to me.
    ee-fa. former gryffindor. irish accent
    [Image: 2dr724g.jpg]
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

AMAZING SET BY LADYBUG <3
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    Quote:"I'll tell you," said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper, "what real love is. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission, trust and belief against yourself and against the whole world, giving up your whole heart and soul to the smiter--as I did!"

Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thanks!
    [Image: UeSGxpL.png]
    avatar & signature created by the talented tiffany
    Cassius Lestrange Wrote:
    Quote:She froze with a plate in each hand and two more on her arm, eyes wide. Then she smiled. It was one full of undisguised happiness and a relief, and it lifted his heart.

This is what home feels like, he thought. Goddamned if it isn't.

-Under the Dome
    I have this same line highlighted in my book with the question "but when does a home become a prison?" attached to it.
    so I can't find my kindle and as such have taken a forced break from Under the Dome, but I'm reading Khaled Hosseini's new book, And the Mountains Echoed

It's really, really, really good. Like. I forgot how good his stuff was after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns a couple years ago, but it's really really really good.

ANYWAYS, TO THE POIINT~

Quote:"I need to tell you, if only this time, that I have loved you a long, long time, [spoilers.] Please don't be angry."

Quote:It breathed between us, what he had said, the pain of a life suppressed, of happiness never to be.

I did not expect to be this emotionally involved in a 60 page time-skippy-interlude-thing before.

basically GO READ IT~
    set by MJ!

I was reading the first GoT book and came across this quote when Littlefinger was talking about investing in brothels rather than boats and it reminded me of Tessa and her pirate fetish.

Quote:"Whores seldom sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin like everyone else."

Agh is quoting a whole book not allowed? Because I so would.

So basically The Song of Achilles is everything I have ever wanted in a book and because I started passing it around manically to all my friends to read I had to download it onto my computer as well because I couldn't bear to be without it for too long because I have a serious problem. (Also funny story my mum was suddenly concerned for my health because she came in and interrupted me when I was reading the very end of this. Naturally, I was sobbing and flailing violently. XD)

So here are some of my fave bits I ship achilles/patroclus like woah

Quote:His eyes opened. "Name one hero who was happy."
    I considered. Heracles went mad and killed his family; Theseus lost his bride and father; Jason's children and new wife were murdered by his old; Bellerophon killed the Chimera but was crippled by the fall from Pegasus' back.
    "You can't." He was sitting up now, leaning forward.
    "I can't."
    "I know. They never let you be famous and happy." He lifted an eyebrow. "I'll tell you a secret."
    "Tell me." I loved it when he was like this.
    "I'm going to be the first." He took my palm and held it to his. "Swear it."
    "Why me?"
    "Because you're the reason. Swear it."
    "I swear it," I said, lost in the high color of his cheeks, the flame in his eyes.
    "I swear it," he echoed.
    We sat like that a moment, hands touching. He grinned.
    "I feel like I could eat the world raw."
    (ahdakdgafk they're so cute and young and naive)

Quote:I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world.

Quote:Chiron had said once that nations were the most foolish of mortal inventions. "No man is worth more than another, wherever he is from."
    "But what if he is your friend?" Achilles had asked him, feet kicked up on the wall of the rose-quartz cave. "Or your brother? Should you treat him the same as a stranger?"
    "You ask a question that philosophers argue over," Chiron had said. "He is worth more to you, perhaps. But the stranger is someone else's friend and brother. So which life is more important?"
    We had been silent. We were fourteen, and these things were too hard for us. Now that we are twenty-seven, they still feel too hard.
    He is half of my soul, as the poets say. He will be dead soon, and his honor is all that will remain. It is his child, his dearest self. Should I reproach him for it? I have saved Briseis. I cannot save them all.
    I know, now, how I would answer Chiron. I would say: there is no answer. Whichever you choose, you are wrong.

and then I realised all the rest of my favourite quotes were too spoilery
    [Image: RlYf65H.jpg]
    From chapter 3 of The Fires of Heaven, which is Book 5 of the Wheel of Time. "Maidens" refers to Maidens of the Spear, which is a female warrior society; Mat (the pov character) is supernaturally lucky (and also very good with the ladies).
    Quote:"They'll look pretty with your eyes," he said, laying the heavy strand in her hands. He had never seen a Maiden wear baubles of any sort, but in his experience, every woman liked jewelry. Strangely, they liked flowers nearly as well. He did not understand it, but then, he was willing to admit that he understood women less than he did his luck, or what had happened on the other side of that twisted doorway.
    Pick up a member of Niall's strained family!

Niall has an Irish accent which gets stronger when his is drunk or especially relaxed.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    I AM ALSO QUOTING SONG OF ACHILLES

Quote:She was taller than I was, taller than any woman I had ever seen. Her black hair was loose down her back, and her skin shone luminous and impossibly pale, as if it drank light from the moon. She was so close I could smell her, seawater laced with dark brown honey. I did not breathe. I did not dare.
    set by MJ!

the secret history, yo

Quote:And I know that I said earlier that he was perfect but he wasn't perfect, far from it; he could be silly and vain and remote and often cruel but still we loved him, in spite of, because.
    set by MJ!

“In that moment I understood that the cruelest words in the universe are if only.”
    ― Lisa See, Peony in Love
    [Image: mrc.png]
    y'all should read Neverwhere

Quote:“I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept.”

Quote:There are four simple ways for the observant to tell Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar apart: first, Mr. Vandemar is two and a half heads taller than Mr. Croup; second, Mr. Croup has eyes of a faded china blue, while Mr. Vandemar's eyes are brown; third, while Mr. Vandemar fashioned the rings he wears on his right hand out of the skulls of four ravens, Mr. Croup has no obvious jewelery; fourth, Mr. Croup likes words, while Mr. Vandemar is always hungry. Also, they look nothing at all alike.
    set by MJ!

Quote:This was typical of gods, from what I could gather on the Internet and TV; they were so otherworldly in their level of attractiveness that they dressed like fucking idiots.

- "What Wants My Son" by Kevin Wilson

/this short story is in Orpheus XO
    [Image: 2ecmdg0.png]
    SET BY SOPH

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Memorable quotes Blanche Hawk 964 191,911 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM
    Last Post: Acacia Ruskin
      Standout IC Quotes Cassius Lestrange 227 58,614 01-04-2018, 03:34 PM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour
      Out Of Context IC Quotes! Ellory Pendergast 18 2,201 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM
    Last Post: Paul Pince
      If your ship/plot was a book, this would be its index Brynn Malfoy 4 727 06-25-2017, 10:56 AM
    Last Post: Reuben Crouch
      BOOK CLUB: Third Time's the Charm Odira Potter 2 609 09-22-2016, 06:08 AM
    Last Post: Madeleine Backus