Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Book Quotes that you love
    Before you fairly start this story I should like to give you just a
    word of warning.

If you imagine you are going to read of model children, with
    perhaps; a naughtily inclined one to point a moral, you had better lay
    down the book immediately and betake yourself to 'Sandford and Merton'
    or similar standard juvenile works. Not one of the seven is really
    good, for the very excellent reason that Australian children never are.

In England, and America, and Africa, and Asia, the little folks may
    be paragons of virtue, I know little about them.

But in Australia a model child is--I say it not without
    thankfulness--an unknown quantity.

I love this quote.

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/r...es=1456857

Seven Little Australians by Ethel Sybil Turner was written in the 1880's and is remarkable for being one of the first australian childrens book written by australians with australians as main character. It's available at that link for free since it past it's copyright. I think everybody should have a read! I had to for a class so we had to deconstruct it and figure out why certain things happened in the victorian mindset which was a little sad
    "Do you ever feel that way?"
    "Lonely?"
    I search for the words. "Restless. As if you haven't really met yourself yet. As is you'd passed yourself once in the fog, and your heart leapt - 'Ah! There I Am! I've been missing that piece!' But it happens too fast, and then that part of you disappears into the fog again. And you spend the rest of your days looking for it."
    He nods, and I think he's appeasing me. I feel stupid of having said it. It's sentimental and true, and I've revealed a part of myself I shouldn't have.
    "Do you know what I think?" Kartik says at last.
    "What?"
    "Sometimes, I think you can glimpse it in another."
    ? Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing

"Felicity ignores us. She walks out to them, an apparition in white and blue velvet, her head held high as they stare in awe at her, the goddess. I don't know yet what power feels like. But this is surely what it looks like, and I think I'm beginning to understand why those ancient women had to hide in caves. Why our parents and suitors want us to behave properly and predictably. It's not that they want to protect us; it's that they fear us."
    ? Libba Bray, A Great and Terrible Beauty

Excerpts from a lovely trilogy that I've just finished rereading.

And some snippets of cynical wisdom from an all-time favorite:

"And don't think you can lay down the load, ever. Because you can't. I know."
    ? Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind

"Do I understand, sir, that you mean the Cause for which our heroes have died is not sacred?'
    'If you were run over by a railroad train your death wouldn't sanctify the railroad company, would it?' asked Rhett and his voice sounded as if he were humbly seeking information."

"Until you've lost your reputation, you never really realize what a burden it was."

I could probably go on forever, but I'm going to keep it to these two for now. Because this could be never ending >.>
    The sad truth is the truth is sad
    The Hostile Hospital - A Series of Unfortunate Events

“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and donót always like.”
    The Slippery Slope - A Series of Unfortunate Events

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "Love is a bedtime story, a teddy bear, familiar, one eye missing."

-Janet Finch, White Oleander
    [Image: cassiesig2_zps26f5d02a.jpg]
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    I could quote every single striking Hunger Games quote, but I'm going to assume we all know them anyway and go for some John Green instead:

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

"There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that's what everyone else does."

- from The Fault In Our Stars

"But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

- from Looking for Alaska
    ù Looking For Alaska (via explossive)

Of all John Green's words just somehow shake me to my core. Read his stuff.
    [Image: oFllNz.png]
    "Do you think I am an automaton? ¡ a machine without feelings?...Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong ù I have as much soul as you, ù and full as much heart...I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh; ù it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal, ù as we are"

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

"If men could see us as we really are, they would be a little amazed; but the cleverest, the acutest men are often under an illusion about women: they do not read them in a true light: they misapprehend them, both for good and evil: their good woman is a queer thing, half doll, half angel; their bad woman almost always a fiend."

Shirley, Charlotte Bronte

"God surely did not create us, and cause us to live, with the sole end of wishing always to die. I believe, in my heart, we were intended to prize life and enjoy it, so long as we retain it. Existence never was originally meant to be that useless, blank, pale, slow-trailing thing it often becomes to many, and is becoming to me, among the rest."
    ? Charlotte BrontÙ, Shirley

"If Shirley were not an indolent, a reckless, an ignorant being, she would take a pen at such moments, or at least while the recollection of such moments was yet fresh on her spirit. She would seize, she would fix the apparition, tell the vision revealed. Had she a little more of the organ of acquisitiveness in her head, a little more of the love of property in her nature, she would take a good-sized sheet of paper and write plainly out, in her own queer but clear and legible hand, the story that has been narrated, the song that has been sung to her, and thus possess what she was enabled to create. But indolent she is, reckless she is, and most ignorant; for she does not know her dreams are rare, her feelings peculiar. She does not know, has never known, and will die without knowing, the full value of that spring whose bright fresh bubbling in her heart keeps it green."
    ? Charlotte BrontÙ, Shirley

"Rochester: "Jane, be still; don't struggle so like a wild, frantic bird, that is rending its own plumage in its desperation."

Jane: "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you."
    ? Charlotte BrontÙ, Jane Eyre

"No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"

"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.

"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"

"A pit full of fire."

"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"

"No, sir."

"What must you do to avoid it?"

I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die."
    ? Charlotte BrontÙ, Jane Eyre

.................I just love Charlotte Bronte. Sue me.

"The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done."

Edith Wharton, the Age of Innocence

Great read, it takes place in America of 1880's, you can see the difference between the Americans and British clearly in it

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS MJ? I LOVE YOU.

anyways

"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will scream it from the rooftops."

-Stephen King, On Writing

"How come she married him?" Harry asked miserably. "She hated him!"

"Nah, she didn't," said Sirius.

-JK ROWLING, ORDER OF THE PHOENIX

hallo my otp

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

- George RR Martin, ADWD, via Davos
    "The hands ofà fate keep timeà on a heart-shapedà watch."

-Harkat Mulds, Trials Of Death (The Saga Of Darren Shan)

I can't remember how long ago I read this quote, but I absolutely love it. It is a good quote that's exactly in theme with the books.
    bringing this back because ~~ I am having an American Gods SITUATION

Quote:Sweeney fought without style, without science, with nothing but enthusiasm for the fight itself: huge, barreling roundhouse blows that missed as often as they connected.

Quote:In prison Shadow had learned there were two kinds of fights: don't fuck with me fights, where you made it as showy and impressive as you could, and private fights, real fights, which were fast and hard and nasty, and always over in seconds.

"Hey, Sweeney," said Shadow, breathless, "why are we fighting?"

"For the joy of it," said Sweeney, sober now, or at least no longer visibly drunk. "For the sheer unholy fucken delight of it. Can't you feel the joy in your own veins, rising like the sap in springtime?" His lip was bleeding. So was Shadow's knuckle.
    More American Gods.

Quote:He had grown so fast. In the spring of his thirteenth year the local kids had been picking on him, goading him into fights they knew they could not fail to win and after which Shadow would run, angry and often weeping, to the boys' room to wash the mud or blood from his face before anyone could see it. Then came summer, a long, magical, thirteenth summer, which he spent keeping out of the way of the bigger kids, swimming in the local pool, reading library books at poolside. At the start of the summer he could barely swim. By the end of August, he was swimming length after length in an easy crawl, diving from the high board, ripening to a deep brown from the sun and the water. In September, he returned to school to discover that the boys who had made him miserable were small, soft things no longer capable of upsetting him. The two who tried it were taught better manners, hard and fast and painfully, and Shadow found that he had redefined himself: (blah blah Beanie doesn't feel like typing these sentences.) He liked being big and strong. It gave him an identity. He'd been a shy, quiet, bookish kid; now he was a big dumb guy, and nobody expected him to be able to do more than move a sofa into the next room on his own.

Nobody until Laura, anyway.
    [Image: pp66UW.jpg]
    shiny set by Bree!
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Quote:When I was a real girl, my mother fed me her glass dreams one spoonful at a time. Harvard. Yale. Princeton. Duke. Undergrad. Med school. Internship, residency, God. She'd brush my hair and braid it with long words, weaving the Latin roots and Greek branches into my head so memorizing anatomy would come easy...

Quote:"Dead girl walking," the boys say in the halls.

"Tell us your secret," the girls whisper, one toilet to another.

I am that girl.
    I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
    I am the library aide who hides in Fantasy.
    I am the circus freak encased in beeswax.
    I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

When they get close, they step back. The cameras in their eyeholes record the zit on my chin, the rain in my eyes, the blue water under my skin. They pick up every sound on their collar microphones. They want to pull me inside of them, but they're afraid.

I am contagious.

Quote:The concept of eating is scary. The nasty voices are always on call, eager to pull me back down but I do not let them. It's hard. I take half a cinnamon bagel and the numbers jump out at me, boo! Half of a bagel (165). Whole bagel (330). Two tablespoons full-fat cream cheese (80).

I breathe in slowly. Food is life. I exhale, take another breath. Food is life. And that's the problem. When you're alive, people can hurt you. It's easier to crawl into a bone cage or a snowdrift of confusion. It's easier to lock everybody out.

But it's a lie.

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Quote:"Gloria has a very young soul - irresponsible, as much as anything else. She has no sense of responsibility."

"She's sparkling, Aunt Catherine," said Richard pleasantly. "A sense of responsibility would spoil her. She's too pretty."

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Quote:Maury pulled down the shade with a sudden harsh snap.

"Idiot!," he cried, "that from you! Here I sit, young Anthony, as I'll sit for a generation or more and watch such gay souls as you and Dick and Gloria Gilbert go past me, dancing and singing and loving and hating one another and being moved, being eternally moved. And I am moved only by my lack of emotion. I shall sit and the snow will come - oh, for a Caramel to take notes - and another winter and I shall be thirty and you and Dick and Gloria will go on being eternally moved and dancing by me and singing. But after you've all gone I'll be saying things for new Dicks to write down, and listening to the disillusions and cynicisms and emotions of new Anthonys - yes, and talking to new Glorias about the tans of summers yet to come."
    Ada speaks with a light French accent
    Send all alerts to Imogen MacFusty, plz & ty! <3
    [Image: pvMrB8i.png]
    avatar & signature created by the talented soph
    [Image: HurlingGirls03.jpg][Image: rt.png]

more american gods. LIKE YOU EXPECTED ANY DIFFERENTLY.

Quote:He was trapped: could go no further, and could not return the way he had come.

"Now bargain," said a voice in his mind.
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    Greatest most wonderful uncomfortable quote ever from Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl

Quote:Men always say that as the defining compliment, don't they? She's a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she's hosting the world's biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don't mind, I'm the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they're fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men û friends, coworkers, strangers û giddy over these awful pretender women, and I'd want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who'd like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I'd want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn't really love chili dogs that much û no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They're not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they're pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you're not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn't want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version û maybe he's a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he's a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn't ever complain. (How do you know you're not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: "I like strong women." If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because "I like strong women" is code for "I hate strong women.")
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Nathaniel Scrivenshaft's post:
       Lucinda Cavanaugh
    Quote:And his lips twisted into a scarred smile and embers danced in the shadows of his eyes.
    set by MJ!

Quote:"Fuck you," said Czernobog. "Fuck you and fuck your mother and fuck the fucking horse you fucking rode in on. You will not even die in battle. No warrior will taste your blood. No one alive will take your life. You will die a soft, poor death. You will die with a kiss on your lips and a lie in your heart."
    set by MJ!

Quote:They were at the side of the house. Say, we're quite a crew, we believers, Susan thought. An old teacher half-cracked with books, a writer obsessed with his childhood nightmares, a little boy who has taken a post-graduate course in vampire lore from the films and the modern penny-dreadfuls. And me? Do I really believe? Are paranoid fantasies catching?

She believed.

salem's lot
    [Image: IfsBNG.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Memorable quotes Blanche Hawk 964 191,901 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM
    Last Post: Acacia Ruskin
      Standout IC Quotes Cassius Lestrange 227 58,614 01-04-2018, 03:34 PM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour
      Out Of Context IC Quotes! Ellory Pendergast 18 2,199 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM
    Last Post: Paul Pince
      If your ship/plot was a book, this would be its index Brynn Malfoy 4 727 06-25-2017, 10:56 AM
    Last Post: Reuben Crouch
      BOOK CLUB: Third Time's the Charm Odira Potter 2 609 09-22-2016, 06:08 AM
    Last Post: Madeleine Backus