Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
HGTV, Victorian Style
February 1st, 1889 — Slums
Owain had found himself in the slums once more as his cousin asked him to come help him with something. He had been mildly annoyed to find out that his cousin wanted help with painting his entire home. Well, that had been annoying. Especially considering it was still winter. Then again, his cousin wasn't the brightest bulb in the world. At least he had not been made to paint the exterior. Owain wasn't sure if it was safe to combine paint with the woodstove fumes but whatever, he did as he had been asked.

Now that they were done, Owain was paint stained and had ruined clothing. Splendid. Stepping outside to escape the paint fumes, he waved in a friendly manner at someone he assumed to be a slums resident. Owain only ever came here to visit or be duped by his cousin so he didn't really know who lived here or who was just visiting.

Perenelle was in the Hogsmeade Slums on volunteering business. Reading to poor orphans was todays task. It had been rather fulfilling for Mrs. Flamel. Seeing all the happy faces fill with wonder at the story. Children were so delightful. While she did not visit the Slums often, she did find it rather humbling. Those kids must have gone through a lot in their short lives. Well... far shorter than hers. Everyone, other than vampires of course, had shorter lives than hers though.

Headed off for home, she was looking around as she did. Another society lady beside her as they chatted. But Perenelle was only half paying attention. Thinking about what more she could do for those who might need more help in their lives, her thoughts were interrupted when she was waved at. Stopping, her companion had not yet noticed. Perenelle waved back with a friendly smile.

Magic by MJ
The woman he had waved at, upon closer look, didn't look at all like she belonged here. That was just plain weird but he supposed they were here for their own reasons. "Lovely evening, is it not?" He said politely since he thought it would be a little weird to just ignore her existence.

Her companion had finally noticed that she had stopped. Looking between the two of them, said companion decided to stay by Perenelle's side. Perenelle did not mind having a conversation with the young man before going off on her own way. It wasn't as if she were unaccompanied and wondering around the slums for no reason. "A wonderful evening." She agreed.

Magic by MJ
"Pardon my curiosity, ma'am but you don't look like the usual lot that I see around here," Owain couldn't help but ask. His bets were on her being around here doing charity work.

"No, I am not usually one to come around here. But I came to read to orphans. Always nice to see their eyes light up with excitement during a story." She said with a happy sigh. If only the children under her own care filled with such delight at such simple things still. Well... only one of them was an actual child now.

Magic by MJ
"That's really nice of you. There's also a home in Bartonburg that I bet would love such a thing too," Owain shared. The home wasn't an orphanage as far as he knew but seemed to house children whose parents found them be, well, Inconvenient.

Perenelle was happy to be called nice. While she didn't do this sort of thing for attention, a compliment was always welcome. "I believe I read to that home about a month ago. Perhaps another visit would be good."

Magic by MJ
"I bet that they would appreciate it quite a bit, ma'am," Owain said. He couldn't imagine being born to a family that could keep you and still be sent off. He had always been quite loved by his own parents and was close to his other family members as well. Case in point, his being here in his cousins abode instead of his own elsewhere.

Even now, Perenelle valued her family. Taking in her descendants children after a tragic passing, she would never dream of sending even one of them away. "Personally, I can't imagine sending children off like that. My own wards are quite welcome in my home."

Magic by MJ
"I couldn't either. I'm rather close to mind even when they're a pain," Owain said in agreement. They didn't have much but they shared with one another as much as they could. Well, he did anyway. His cousin didn't have much to offer personally.

Her smile brightened a little. "You have children? How old?" Children were a wonderful topic to her. She missed being able to have some of her own.

Magic by MJ
"I'm only nineteen, miss. I don't have children of my own. I meant my family in general and the children within it," Owain explained. Well, he supposed some people his age had kids but he wasn't even courting someone. Nor was he particularly interested in doing so.

Oh, well. It was more likely the women of his age to get married at his age and have children. She gave an embarrassed smile of response before her companion gently touched her arm to get her attention.

"Yes?" She asked kindly. The woman seemed to have some tention about her. Too long of a conversation in such an area for her liking, presumably. Perenelle had not yet realized. "Mrs. Flamel, we should head back before our husbands worry." The woman finally said.

Perenelle nodded and turned back to the young man. "She is right. I didn't expect to be out this long. It has been a pleasure to meet you."

Magic by MJ
Owain watched as the other woman seemed intent on getting out of the area. He smiled as the woman spoke to him once again. "And a pleasure to meet you as well, ma'am," he said. It had not been a conversation that he had expected to have outside his untoward cousins place but it had been a pleasurable diversion to an otherwise annoying evening.

View a Printable Version