Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

John's Networking
    Hello all!

I'm John and this is Qedma Bakaffa, Professor of Care of Magical Creatures. He is a former diplomat (for the Ethiopian Ministry). After working at a desk he went to Portugal, China and then ended up as International Liaison to the British Ministry. He enjoyed it, and was good at it, but found politics draining/soul crushing and chose to pursue his true passion...Magizoology! 

He's published a number of books on the subject, and in December was appointed the new COMC teacher at Hogwarts. So, I'd love to start threading with this guy. He's a loud and friendly man, he has lots of friends and enjoys entertaining. With students though I imagine he will be a bit different, a relatively firm guy, with traditional beliefs around how children ought to respect their elders. Probably one of the harsher disciplinarians, but fair and not unapproachable. 

I'd really like to flesh out some close friendships, perhaps Ministry employees he knew from his time as the Ethiopian representative? Working out relationships with his fellow Professors would be good too.

(P.S. - As a former history student, with a mild obsession with the aristocracy, I could not resist making Qed a rich, upper-class, estate owning gent. So, for reference, here is how I imagine his home, Harari House)
    Heya John! Welcome to Charming! I have a few people Qed could know/interact with:

@Zian Zhao - He's the son of a high ranking Chinese diplomat and his been involved in international politics for the entirety of his career. Specifically, he became an aide to the foreign liaison in the Chinese MoM in 1870. He was then assigned to a temporary position in Britain in 1880 and moved there permanently as the Chinese liaison for the Ministry in 1884. All those dates are to say: there's a high possibility Zian and Qed have known (or at least known of) each other for a number of years and could even be good friends. If you think they'd mesh well, we can work out details re: when they met, what their relationship is like, and all that good stuff!

@Young-Jae Choi is also a new professor at Hogwarts. He began teaching Earth Magic in September after suffering an injury that prevented him from working in the field and doing the research he wanted. He's also a metamorphmagus, if that has any bearing on anything. He's also outgoing and friendly so I see them getting along professionally, at least.

@Ivory Kamaria, @Time Day, and @Waffle Whitledge are my students, but Waffle is the only one who actually takes Care of Magical Creatures. Waffle is ... difficult as a student to say the least, but CoMC is one of the classes he actually enjoys so Qed probably won't have as many issues with him as other professors do. I've also been thinking about Magizoology as a potential career path he could explore, so he may have non class related questions for Qed.

I don't see him interacting much with Time unless they run into each other in passing.

Though she doesn't take CoMC, Ivy is a great student and curious about pretty much everything related to magic. I could see her wanting to have a conversation with him about the field as well. There's also a possibility he might have known her parents, which I think would be an interesting connection to make. Her father worked for the Kenyan magical government for a number of years before coming to Britain and occupying a similar position in the MoM there. He and Qed could've met through that. Her parents died in a shipwreck over the summer so, depending on how friendly they were, that could have an effect on the way him and Ivory interact with each other.

I have lots of other people, but those are my most immediate connections, so let me know what you think!
    [Image: mLK8um.png]
    tag souri avninder in your replies.
    Hello, John! My name's Bree and I'm super glad you joined Charming! I have a good bunch of students and even a professor, so I can offer a fair amount of connections!
    @Flora Halliday is my fifth year Ravenclaw prefect, and she takes Care of Magical Creatures! She actually aspires to be an actual magizoologist (or marry one, whichever one!).

@Tripper Jameson is a fifth year Gryffindor and he also takes Care of Magical Creatures. He's more of a slacker and took the class "because it seemed fun". He's a muggleborn and likely is interested in it because it provides a shock factor of some sort. He also plays on the quidditch team so may moan about homework getting in the way of practice.

@Augusta Selwyn is a third year Ravenclaw and (unsurprisingly, based on what I've offered so far) takes Care of Magical Creatures, too! She's less of a slacker and more of an academic, so probably takes his class very seriously. She's down with the cool creatures but likely not the getting dirty part that can accompany it.

@Handsome Whitledge is a seventh year Gryffindor and (guess what?) takes Care of Magical Creatures, too! While he's been very serious about that class in the past, he's been slacking in almost all of his classes this year. He's head boy, plays on the quidditch team, and has a lot of family drama he's ignoring while it piles up. He's super friendly, helpful, and a strong leader, but admittedly not big on academics.

@Edgar Pomfrey is 41 years old and is the Charms professor at Hogwarts! He's a fairly new character to me and I've been working on developing him, so I'd love to do something with them!

(12-26-2017, 08:28 AM)Souri Avninder Wrote: Heya John! Welcome to Charming! I have a few people Qed could know/interact with:

@Zian Zhao - He's the son of a high ranking Chinese diplomat and his been involved in international politics for the entirety of his career. Specifically, he became an aide to the foreign liaison in the Chinese MoM in 1870. He was then assigned to a temporary position in Britain in 1880 and moved there permanently as the Chinese liaison for the Ministry in 1884. All those dates are to say: there's a high possibility Zian and Qed have known (or at least known of) each other for a number of years and could even be good friends. If you think they'd mesh well, we can work out details re: when they met, what their relationship is like, and all that good stuff!

@Young-Jae Choi  is also a new professor at Hogwarts. He began teaching Earth Magic in September after suffering an injury that prevented him from working in the field and doing the research he wanted. He's also a metamorphmagus, if that has any bearing on anything. He's also outgoing and friendly so I see them getting along professionally, at least.

@Ivory Kamaria, @Time Day, and @Waffle Whitledge are my students, but Waffle is the only one who actually takes Care of Magical Creatures. Waffle is ... difficult as a student to say the least, but CoMC is one of the classes he actually enjoys so Qed probably won't have as many issues with him as other professors do. I've also been thinking about Magizoology as a potential career path he could explore, so he may have non class related questions for Qed.

I don't see him interacting much with Time unless they run into each other in passing.

Though she doesn't take CoMC, Ivy is a great student and curious about pretty much everything related to magic. I could see her wanting to have a conversation with him about the field as well. There's also a possibility he might have known her parents, which I think would be an interesting connection to make. Her father worked for the Kenyan magical government for a number of years before coming to Britain and occupying a similar position in the MoM there. He and Qed could've met through that. Her parents died in a shipwreck over the summer so, depending on how friendly they were, that could have an effect on the way him and Ivory interact with each other.

I have lots of other people, but those are my most immediate connections, so let me know what you think!

Hey, something with the students and the Professor would be good in the future. At the minute I like the idea of doing something with Zhao! I'm sure they'd have known each other for a while. A random catch up between friends, at either Qed or Zian's country estate, or something more specific? 

@'Souri Avinder'

(12-26-2017, 02:45 PM)Annabelle Scrimgeour Wrote: Hello, John! My name's Bree and I'm super glad you joined Charming! I have a good bunch of students and even a professor, so I can offer a fair amount of connections!
    @Flora Halliday is my fifth year Ravenclaw prefect, and she takes Care of Magical Creatures! She actually aspires to be an actual magizoologist (or marry one, whichever one!).

@Tripper Jameson is a fifth year Gryffindor and he also takes Care of Magical Creatures. He's more of a slacker and took the class "because it seemed fun". He's a muggleborn and likely is interested in it because it provides a shock factor of some sort. He also plays on the quidditch team so may moan about homework getting in the way of practice.

@Augusta Selwyn is a third year Ravenclaw and (unsurprisingly, based on what I've offered so far) takes Care of Magical Creatures, too! She's less of a slacker and more of an academic, so probably takes his class very seriously. She's down with the cool creatures but likely not the getting dirty part that can accompany it.

@Handsome Whitledge is a seventh year Gryffindor and (guess what?) takes Care of Magical Creatures, too! While he's been very serious about that class in the past, he's been slacking in almost all of his classes this year. He's head boy, plays on the quidditch team, and has a lot of family drama he's ignoring while it piles up. He's super friendly, helpful, and a strong leader, but admittedly not big on academics.

@Edgar Pomfrey is 41 years old and is the Charms professor at Hogwarts! He's a fairly new character to me and I've been working on developing him, so I'd love to do something with them!

'@Annabelle Scrimgeour'

I'm glad you have so many COMC students! Something with Edgar would be great. Although he doesn't start teaching until Jan, I assume it would be fine for Qed to move into Hogwarts before that. Would Edgar be in Hogwarts over the break at all? If so perhaps he introduced himself to Qed, and both being personable guys, they got chatting?
    I have two members of Hogwarts faculty at the moment -- @Nikolai Sleptov and @Hamish Darrow. Can't check to see which of my students take CoMC at the moment (am at work), but those two gentlemen would be as good a place as any to start!

Also if his stint as Ethiopian liaison wasn't too long ago, he would almost certainly be acquainted with Aldous here!
    after a splinching incident in july 1884, aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp.
    [Image: xndky8.jpg]
    set by bree

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
    Open Thread Bree's Networking 4.0 Annabelle Scrimgeour 2 1,101 Yesterday, 01:38 AM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour
    Open Thread Silver's Networking! Nerissa Stone 18 557 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM
    Last Post: Elsie Beauregard
      Nichole's Networking V.3 Calla Potts 0 59 12-26-2017, 05:16 PM
    Last Post: Calla Potts
      Networking Guidelines & Coding Elsie Beauregard 3 3,322 12-25-2017, 08:31 AM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour
    Open Thread Olive's Networking Nightmare! ~Be Afraid~ Ursula Black 26 7,762 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM
    Last Post: Gabrielle Fontaine