Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
The Language of the Flowers was a popular method to express feelings where words might be improper, but did you know other means of doing so? Some ladies used their parasols, as well as their fans, gloves, and hankies to flirt with a gentleman (or alternatively, tell them to shove it!). — Bree ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Questionable Friend/Crush for Philip Aymslowe.
When your mum thinks you're gay for your best friend (but you probably are)
This boy, then. He wasn't new. Wasn't one of the worst people in the common room, those rotten rich boys - like Mr. Jailkeeper - who could not fathom a world beyond their own farts. Was a good working class lad, so he'd heard. Had a bit of a weird looking face, and a bit of a weird thing for preaching. Still.Aubrey Davis in The Under-Sofa
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Post 3+ times in three or more class threads during the course of a school year. Must all be done with the same character, be they a professor, student, or school portrait or ghost!
>
<

Wrapped Up In Yourself
Private 
Drawing Room, Flint Household, Dorset, Late Evening January 16, 1889
Laverna hadn't retreated after supper as was custom, and had instead drifted into the drawing room with a glass of wine. She was lounging now on the couch, well into her glass, feeling odd. She felt more alive after her outing to the library, as though her skin was buzzing, and she wasn't sure if she liked the sensation.

She had no idea what Lucy had been doing all day, had barely spoken to her daughter over dinner, as was usual, and was wondering if she would ever really know what her daughter was thinking. Laverna knew that she hadn't always been the most affectionate of mothers, but she didn't see how she could have done any better, not with the way she felt all the time. Still, she wished she had a better relationship with Lucy.
Lucille Flint was rather use to having the run of the house. With her mother’s habits it was easy enough to see her mother at supper but other than that to just go about her business. Today had been no different, that was until after supper. Typically Laverna retired to her rooms for the rest of the evening and Lucy spent the evening by the fire with a book or writing letters to her friends or her dear journal. But this evening her mother had retired to the drawing room, Lucy’s typical evening haunt.

Despite the relative silence at supper, Lucy was not deterred from her typical evening. Breezing into the drawing room Lucy smiled at her mother as she stepped to the sideboard for a glass of wine. “Mother.” She greeted with a smile, it would be nice to have some company - even if her mother remained as quiet as always. Sometimes the house felt too big with just the two of them, something Lucy had keenly felt since her graduation from Hogwarts. “I’m glad you are joining me this evening.” Lucy settled into a chair near her mother and the large fireplace, taking a sip of wine as the warmth from the flames tickled the side of her face, keeping her warm.

[Image: xsLWWd.png]
Thank you MJ for an amazingly Lucy set!
Laverna hummed in acknowledgement when Lucy greeted her, tracking her daughter's movement as she drifted across the room. She felt she ought to say something but took a long sip of wine first, finishing off her glass. It wasn't until she'd risen and was at the sideboard filling her glass again that she spoke.

"I haven't been a very good mother, have I, Lucy?" It wasn't what she'd meant to say, but it came spilling from her lips uninvited. She was so shocked at her own words that her hands shook and she spilled some wine before she managed to set the decanter down and brace herself against the sideboard, head bowed.

"That's not- I mean-" Laverna gathered herself in less than a second and when she turned, glass in hand, she looked almost normal again. "How was you day, dear?" she asked, leaning back against the sideboard as though nothing was amiss.

this is not what I had planned but Laverna insisted hhhhh
Her mother’s words surprised Lucille. While it was true her mother hadn’t been very present in her life Lucy couldn’t say her mother hadn’t been a good mother. She had been what was expected of her station and they got along tolerably well. Actually, if conversations regarding her other friends mothers was any indication, having her mother more reclusive was not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, Lucy missed the conversation of the only other family member in the Flint mansion, but she couldn’t say she really remembered any conversation to start with. However, this was clearly not a conversation to be had at the moment. Lucy’s eyes took in her mother’s bent form by the sideboard realizing that this likely shouldn’t be a conversation.

To give her mother time to collect herself Lucy took a sip of her own wine, about to soothe her mother’s worries when the woman tried to brush it aside. Lucy allowed her, feeling a tad bit awkward until her mother sat down and changed the topic.

Well enough.” She assured her mother with a smile as Laverna sat down across from her again. “I’m ready for the season. Hardly anyone makes social calls when it is so cold.” Lucy pouted, thinking of the lack of balls and social events that stretched before her until spring. She wouldn’t see Mr. Macmillian in that time and wondered if she would even capture his attention after it had so long cooled. “How was your day, mother?” Lucy asked, tilting the red liquid against her lips to give her mother time to reply.

Laverna was relieved when Lucy let the matter drop. She really didn't know what had come over her, and besides, if she was going to have that sort of conversation she was not going to do it while sober. Leaning back, trying to recreate her earlier ease, she swirled the wine around in her glass. "It was alright, dear. I agree within you about the season, though. This cold is dreadful." Laverna hated winter - it made her feel grey and tired.

Deciding to latch onto the topic of her daughter's season, she continued. "Do you have everything you need? Shall I arrange for a trip to town so you can shop?" It had been so long since her own season, and she'd been so apathetic about it, Laverna hardly remembered when the appropriate time to shop for the new season was.

[Image: Btb0SJ.png]

absolutely gorgeous set by mj!!!
The cold was terrible. No matter how many charms the staff used on the old mansion it still seemed to have drafts no one could keep out. Besides, the gray clouds were gloomy. At least when the sun was out it glinted on the snow very prettily. “Perhaps, we could arrange an event. Maybe sleigh riding? Or a small card party?” Lucy suggested hopefully, maybe then it would chase away thoughts of the snow and cold.

The season seemed a long way off and as such Lucy had been hesitant to begin to prepare. She didn’t want to start ordering dresses this season only for the latest trend to be announced after she had placed her orders. “A trip to town would be wonderful. I haven’t even started to look at gowns for this year yet. I do think after the lack of magic last year enchanted gowns shall be quite the thing, but I want to make sure to catch every eye this year.” Lucy’s smile widened. Rather she wanted to catch the eye of just one gentleman, but she wasn’t ready to divulge that to her mother and get her mother’s hopes up just yet.

Though she wasn't a fan of big to-dos, especially ones she had to be in charge of, she could see how Lucy brightened at the very mention of hosting some sort of get-together. Smiling indulgently, she sipped from her glass. "Yes, a card party would be alright. Next week, perhaps? I'll leave you in charge of the guest list." She would, of course, look over it before it went out, and make sure there were enough adults to chaperone, but Lucy was ready to start taking on some responsibility. That, and Laverna didn't think she had the energy for the social scheming that was a guest list at the moment.

"We can go into town tomorrow, if you've not any other plans. Mid-morning, when the sun is out and the cold is at it's least horrible." Laverna did enjoy shopping, and she loved buying things for Lucy - the smile that lit up her daughter's face was worth the price of whatever new dress or accessory she wanted.

At her mother’s agreement Lucy beamed, perceptible brightening up at the idea. “Oh, we will have to invite Nora and Helga of course. It wouldn’t be too forward to invite Mr. Scamanger either.” Lucy began brainstorming the list of people to make it quite an enjoyable winter evening. She’d need to make sure there were even men and women of course, and not too many married couples. Was there a way she could acceptably invite Mr. McMillian as well? “Mother, do you know the McMillian family? Perhaps we could invite them. Oh! And what if we hosted a supper as well?” Then she could carefully arrange the seating table to her advantage and allow for more conversation that could happen over a four person game of whist.

Tomorrow would be lovely, mother.” Lucy told her with a brilliant smile. She could get a start on a dress for their proposed card party. If she could invite Mr. McMillian every bit of help she could get would be needed and as the host she’d need to look resplendent.

Laverna warmed when she saw how Lucy brightened at the idea of a party. Hiding her dislike for the idea behind another sip of wine, she nodded at the idea of a dinner. "Yes, we could do a dinner, although we may have to push it out another week. And I do know the McMillans, isn't their son a widower?" Laverna wasn't sure how to feel about that. Certainly the man was of good standing, but what woman would want another woman's child to take care of? "Of course, he has a good circle of friends..." She trailed off abruptly. "Well, I did say you could arrange the guests. I'll defer to your judgement." It wouldn't be harmful to invite them, she supposed.

Yes, if it was a dinner they would need to push it back, her mother was right. “Perhaps we could push it into February to make time for it.” Lucy quickly agreed with a broad grin.

Her mother’s next words paused her, Mr. McMillian had seemed perfectly suitable, but she hadn’t realized he was a widower. It almost added a romantic appeal to him, but Helga hadn’t mentioned he was a widower and it was just such a detail that her friend might have included in her letters. She did know there were several Mr. McMillians in the family, perhaps her mother was mistaken. “They do have several sons, mother.” It was clear from her tone that Lucy was trying to consider just which one might be a widower. Surely not her Mr. McMillian.

As her mother had said she was in charge of the guests though, Lucy smiled, “Perhaps you might write to Mrs. McMillian and invite her?” If her mother invited them then Lucy certainly wouldn’t seem so forward.