Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    12.13 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~

Issue #157 - A Campaign for Mrs. Skeeter?
    [Image: o7xzfO.png]
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter
    Zygmunt Budge was reportedly stranded on an island for days after trying out his original beauty potion, with women swarming around the little beach with boats. He eventually scared them off by reversing the potion's effects and chasing them away in nothing but a loincloth! Beauty Potions: How To Avoid Becoming The Next Cautionary Tale
    Ever since the days of hag-turned-queen Malodora Grymm, the idea of a beauty potion has been a prominently discussed idea amongst potioneers. Many similar potions are available in today's market, but many are rather flawed.

The recipe used by potioneer savant Zygmunt Budge in the 1500s is still available in some circles, though the ingredients are quite rare and thus it is usually both incredibly expensive, and, due to its short shelf-life, available only by custom order. This potion will turn the ugliest of women into a beauty, but also has effects not entirely unlike Amortentia; since this will effect everyone that the user encounters, its use can be quite chaotic and results may not be anything like the intent! Really, because of its extreme effects and the difficulties of procuring it, this particular brew is best left to legend!

Much more common and much more affordable are 'targeted' beauty potions, such as potions designed specifically to remove a wart or mole, add sheen to the hair, fade ugly scar marks, blend freckles into one's complexion, brighten teeth, or to alter the tenor of one's voice. These, along with being far less conspicuous to use, are also by and large more trustworthy than blanket 'beauty potions,' whose results may vary widely from individual to individual.

Reliable brands to look for include Rosemont's, which can be purchased in most potion shops, Boisson de Beauté (mail order only), or, for the budget beautician, Berebelle. If these potions are not available in your area, check the ingredient label for fairy wings or morning dew--these are staples in most beauty potions, so if yours is missing either of these ingredients, beware! If the potion does not have a list of ingredients, it's best to avoid buying it and slathering it over your face.

A good all-around beauty potion should change colors frequently, should never be one color uniformly, and should appear bright at all times. Muddy shades or sluggish transitions are warning signs that the manufacturer may have cut corners. Specific blemish correcting potions are not as uniform in appearance and so are more difficult to determine, but a decent potion should have a pleasant aroma (nothing too earthy or full-bodied) and a bright, cheerful color. If it doesn't look appealing, it most certainly will not make you look appealing, either!

Topical potions are the safest choices when experimenting with anything new--although potions exist to change the color of one's hair or eyes, or to alter the tenor of one's voice, these must be ingested and are far more likely to result in one's untimely death, or unfortunate transfiguration into a toad. They will also almost certainly be noticed by your friends and family, which will give you the misfortune of being known as the sort of person who relies on a beauty potion. All in all, it's best to simply make do with what natural gifts you have and use potions for slight modifications to the skin. If you have hideous hair, try relying more on hats or elaborate head pieces to cover it, and if your voice makes men run, simply try speaking less.
    Which Quidditch Sponsor Is Your Ideal Man?
    The men in question may be spoken for, but take our quiz to see which of these four handsome, wealthy Quidditch sponsors has the most in common with your ideal husband!

What was your Hogwarts house?
    A) Gryffindor
    B) Ravenclaw
    C) Slytherin
    D) Hufflepuff

What's the best part of being a wife?
    A) Getting to be with my husband, of course! (Maybe for some alone time, too)
    B) All of the things we can do together, like traveling and attending parties
    C) Finally being a hostess instead of a guest at social events
    D) Having a chance to become a mother!

What do you think of Quidditch?
    A) I played, or would have if I'd been allowed
    B) I might play in an informal setting, like a weekend country party, but not in public
    C) It's not healthy for a woman to be too involved, but I have a respectable interest
    D) I know just enough about it not to ask silly questions during the game, but that's about it!

When you marry, you'll honeymoon...
    A) Anywhere; the important part is him!
    B) In Paris or Venice, or another fashionable, large city
    C) Somewhere exotic and expensive
    D) Somewhere scenic
    How do you spend your free time?
    A) I'm fairly athletic. I enjoy leisure sports or taking walks out of doors.
    B) What free time? Between preparing dresses and outfits for parties and attending them I hardly have a chance to sit down!
    C) I have a large social group, and it takes all my time to keep up with them.
    D) I prefer more retiring hobbies, like gardening or reading.

Mostly As: Your ideal match is someone like Regan Pendergast. Although from a wealthy and well-known family, Mr. Pendgerast married his Hogwarts sweetheart and certainly has romantic tendencies, and this is what you most value in a man! He also pursued an early passion and played Quidditch for several years before transitioning to sponsoring!
    Mostly Bs: Your match is Mr. Roberto Devine! You are probably energetic and highly fashionable, and should look for someone who can complement and encourage these positive points of your disposition.
    Mostly Cs: You would be most happy with someone like Thom Pettigrew! A well-known and charismatic member of society, Mr. Pettigrew's spectacular parties liven up every season. You crave the limelight, and need a man with a large personality who can cater to this need!
    Mostly Ds: Your ideal man has much in common with Nathaniel Gallivan. A more retiring figure than the men listed above, Mr. Gallivan has several private business interests and four children. Look for a husband who shares your priorities of starting a family (and who can support the large family you want!)

@Regan Pendergast @Roberto Devine @Thom Pettigrew @Nathaniel Gallivan
    Although Mr. Skeeter's relationship with Miss Evans was not widely publicized, it certainly got off to an exciting start - and may have ended on a similarly incendiary note!

Is Mr. Skeeter on the prowl for someone to replace Miss Evans? The idea of potentially becoming the wife of the next Minister can hardly be an unattractive one to many unmarried young women!
    A Campaign for Mrs. Skeeter?
    Barnabas Skeeter first came to public attention in a very positive light during the troll attacks in the summer of 1885, where he single-handedly rescued two ladies from certain disaster, and lost a limb in the process. Following those heroic actions, he seemed to be paying particular attention to one of the women he rescued: Miss Amelia Evans. As ardent readers of our magazine will recall from our spring issues this year, however, Miss Evans is very much single, and very much available; with her would-be beau moving back into the spotlight in recent days, one can't help but wonder exactly what went wrong between the two lovebirds who shared such a unique beginning to their affections!

Heroics aside, Mr. Skeeter has never been the toast of high society, so our readers can be forgiven for not being aware that he did, in fact, briefly court Miss Evans during the winter of 1885. During the spring of the following year, however, the arrangement entirely disappeared, almost as if it had never existed at all! Sources close to Mr. Skeeter suggest that his campaign against women dueling, which began in January of that year, may have had something to do with the sudden estrangement. Something seemed to have given him a change of heart even as early as the release of the Wizengamot's decision on the matter in April of 1886, as he had gone from calling for an all-inclusive ban on female dueling to suggestion that he was "relieved" to have them permitted in the sport! Could a case of heartsickness have influenced his political decisions then – and might they also be influencing them now?

Mr. Skeeter seems to have been lying low since his loss in the Wizengamot; we've hardly seen him socially in the past two years!

As noted in last week's issue, Mr. Skeeter's own brother was heard to remark that he didn't have much of an interest in the office of Minister itself. Many of our readers have probably already been invited to Mr. Skeeter's campaign events, which feature gift bags and free samples of popular beauty potions and hair tonics. One might easily argue, it seems, that Mr. Skeeter is clearly more interested in recouping some of the social capital he lost with his anti-women views previously, rather than trying to convince any of the men who might actually vote for him! Not that we can blame him, of course - Mr. Skeeter is of a marriageable age, with a good career, and he must be very lonely! With the uproar over his views on female dueling, it would be a wonder if he's had so much as a dance between the dissolution of his courtship with Miss Evans and the announcement of his candidacy!

With Miss Evans apparently lost to him – there has been, notably, no instance we could find of the two being seen together during the past year! –has Mr. Skeeter decided to sow the wild oats of his affection widely and see whether he can grow a new relationship for himself? If that's the case, perhaps our readers can help nudge things in the right direction by sending the eligible young ladies of Hogsmeade into his path. If he intends to use his social capital from the election to appeal to a woman, he'll certainly be looking to make some relationship progress before the election in December –which means your otherwise unappealing daughters, sisters, nieces or cousins need only charm the man for a few weeks in order to assure themselves a courtship!

In one of our previous issues, Mr. Skeeter professed a liking for "well-spoken women with a sweet and demure way of conducting themselves."

Good hunting, ladies!

@Barnabas Skeeter @Amelia Evans
    [-] The following 3 users Like Witch Weekly's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Barnabas Skeeter, Elsie Beauregard
    Paradise: From The Old City to Akras Beaches
    Join us this week as Anniversary Sweepstakes winner Mrs. Rhea Maddox continues our journey around the world! Mrs. Maddox relates tales of the near east below:

Benjamin Disraeli is cited to having said that Jerusalem is the "history of the world, the history of Earth and of Heaven" and indeed, there is a very ancient feel to the city of Jerusalem that I have never quite experienced anywhere else.

There was a lot to see and while we saw a lot, I get the sense that there is also much more that we missed due to our limited time in Jerusalem. It is simply impossible to see everything but we saw more than we would have without having won the sweepstakes, I am quite sure. At least that is how it is for me!

Our first stop was to the Western Wall which was quite magnificent. It was the certainly the largest wall I have ever seen! We were told that it measures about fifty metres long and twenty metres high. What really fascinated me is that not only is it that massive but it also goes further down into the ground. How much further, I haven't a clue but I do imagine that might be why it is still standing after so many years though it boggles my mind to try and think of how it was done.

There were many Jewish people at various points along the wall. They all seemed to be praying or giving some sort of devotion. We tried not to disturb them so as to be respectful but we did partake in a long standing tradition. Inscribing a prayer onto a piece of parchment, we tucked them into the cracks of the stone. I suppose we shall see if anything comes of that.

After the wall, we headed off to Via Dolorosa which turned out to be very tiring. I still have some blisters on my poor, aching feet but I thought it all rather jolly even so. Via Dolorosa is where people believe that Jesus walked with the cross on his way to his crucifixion. I suppose it is a tad morbid in hindsight but I found the architecture of the places we passed on our walk to be quite lovely.

On the walk, there are several stations marked by medallions and mercy me, it was like a scavenger hunt at times finding them. The path was full of twists and turns and in the end, I was quite glad to be done with that particular tour.

We finished off our time in Jerusalem at the Dome of the Rock which was quite beautiful with its marble and mosaics. All the Arabic inscriptions have made me rather keen to learn the language and I am sure my husband would approve. I am uncertain what the structures precise purpose is and apparently so are scholars so I suppose it is quite fine that we don't know for certain.

Once we were done learning about Jerusalem and the things it had to offer, we were off to the beach of Akra!

The beaches are gorgeous and there was some swimming done on the magical side of the Akra beach. I got a bit of sunburn due to the spell used to warm the place faltering but other than that, I found the experience to be quite grand! It was very odd for me to be at a beach in the month of November since I have never been to the Sandition Resort but it was quite lovely.

The muggle side of the beach was very cold and full of snow due the season but it is still worth a little trek, in my opinion. There are ruins of what used to be a boathouse that were interesting. We were told that they were used by Vikings.

There were stone monuments symbolizing the two daughters of a viking king. All of the Viking Age bits were quite interesting to me. I had never known much about them before now and probably would not have thought about them at all without this trip. This has been a once in a lifetime event for me and I am quite eager to tell my children all about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Issue #153 - A Session With Skeeter Witch Weekly 5 415 10-29-2017, 12:27 AM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly
      Issue #42 - Barnabas Skeeter: The Story of a Hero Witch Weekly 4 986 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly