Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Issue #156 - Stephen Flint - That's Right, Who?
    The Beauty of The Himalayas
    The Witch Weekly Anniversary Sweepstakes Winners continued on to the Himalayan mountains this week, where they spent five luxurious days interred at the premier magical resort and spa, Tarjuma Karna. Miss Ophelia Dippet, renowned fashionista, fiancee of Quidditch sponsor Roberto Devine, and Sweepstakes winner, writes to give our readers the inside experience:

The beauty of this region cannot be contained in either words or photographs, and so my task of having to detail the experiences of the week is a rather challenging one indeed! No picture could convey the colors involved in any of the sunrises that we witnessed as we set out each morning. Although I originally found the idea of trekking through the mountains for an entire week rather daunting, I know I am not the only one in the group who has recognized an immediately positive effect from both the consistent exercise and the clear mountain air! Even before the treatments at the Tarjuma Karna, I believe my skin was clearer and softer than it has been since I was a child!

Unfortunately not all of our traveling companions were as able to the exercise as we might have hoped--Miss Blackwood took a tumble off the path on Tuesday and has been laid up with a swollen ankle ever since, and has missed most of what the resort has to offer as a consequence.

As we had been told, the variety of evening activities offered at the resort is truly astounding. We all participated in a session on eastern beauty potions before our interests diverged and took us our separate ways, and I know that I personally have an entire trunk of souvenirs and sample bottles for my friends back home! My personal favorite was a topical potion to be applied to one's cheeks, which gave such as astonishingly delightful glow that I dare say I've never seen the rival of in all of England, much less from an English potioneer!
    Mrs. Maddox also had a good deal to say about a potion targeted at easing and smoothing age lines. She professed to feeling at least a year younger after using it the first time, and I must admit that she is looking more youthful every day as she continues to use it--so much so that I worry her husband may not recognize her upon our return to England!

Mrs. Meadowes did have a minor setback in her week, as she indulged in a sort of exotic bath with soothing skin potions--so soothing, apparently, that she fell asleep and stayed in a bit too long! When she emerged for dinner she was positively orange, but the staff had a remedy and had her set right by bedtime, so no harm was done--and there was no better person for it to have happened to than Mrs. Meadowes, because she is so jovial that she could not but take it all in stride with a smile. We all had a very good laugh about it that night when she returned, and I believe the experience brought us all very close--like Hogwarts dorm-mates comparing notes at the end of the day. Our time abroad has brought us all much closer than I might have imagined possible in a mere two weeks!

The one downside of this experience has been the knowledge that it is so incredibly unique--the things we have found here are only available in a very exclusive part of the Far East, and so are unlikely to make a permanent addition to any of our beauty regimens. If these potions were available for purchase in England, I dare say they would be a staple on the shelf of every debutante (and every self-respecting socialite, as well!)

What Should You Name Your Child?

Is this your first child?
    A) Yes!!
    B) Our second, so it may be our first boy/girl!
    C) This is child #3+
    D) I've lost count.

How do you feel about naming schemes?
    A) I love them!
    B) As long as they don't sound too forced, they're fine.
    C) I don't have any opinions, but I think my husband does!
    D) Why on earth would you do that?

What's your last name like?
    A) It commands respect! My husband's family is an excellent one!
    B) It's rather average; a bit common but it's not exactly "Smith"!
    C) Foreign, and everyone mispronounces it!
    D) It's a bit ridiculous, honestly, but you can't really be choosy about things you can't control.

Your ideal child would...
    A) Be perfect in every way
    B) Be the best at whatever they decide to do, even if it isn't something "conventional"
    C) Be respectable and work hard
    D) Be sweet, and good with their siblings

Eventually, they'll marry...
    A) Someone we choose for them; if they aren't betrothed there will at least be some very heavy-handed hints to help them in the right direction!
    B) Someone of their choosing. It's important to have a happy marriage!
    C) Someone my husband approves of; he knows best about these things and I won't concern myself too much with it.
    D) If they choose. It's not really something I'll think about until they're an adult!
    Who is the ideal female role model for your child?
    A) Josephina Flint - strong willed but still perfectly respectable.
    B) Astrid Parkinson - if I could have voted for her in the last election, I would have!
    C) Martha Skeeter - she's raised so many successful children!
    D) Twilfit and Tatting - they've made their own way in the world despite one becoming a spinster!

Who is the ideal male role model for your child?
    A) Nicholas Flamel - he accomplished so much!
    B) Balthazar Urquart - he's done so much to advance the cause of the underprivileged!
    C) Phineas Black - a gentleman utterly beyond reproach, no matter the circumstance.
    D) Barry Wee Willie Winkle - still quite lively for a man of over six hundred!

Mostly As: You should pick a namesake for your child! Think of admirable witches and wizards from history, or people from your own family tree whom you would like your child to emulate.
    Mostly Bs: You'll want a strong, respectable name for your child. Consider using one of the virtues, a constellation, or the names of Greek deities to help guide your child down the right path!
    Mostly Cs: Stick with what seems to work; your husband's family probably already has an idea of how they like to name their children, and a name is not so great a thing that it should be a cause of contention between the two of you!
    Mostly Ds: Picking something comfortable and easy on the tongue, something that sounds good with your last name, should be your first concern. If the name is any longer than two syllables, find a good nickname for them as well, since you'll want to be using one!
    People have described Mr. Flint's character as dull and uncharismatic - tell us, do you want someone like that as your Minister? Stephen Flint - That’s Right, Who?
    For many of us, the announcement of Mr. Stephen Flint’s intention to run for office was what informed us of his existence. For a man possessing a surname as formidable as Flint - he is without a doubt related to Minister Josephina Flint! - he’s managed to be exceptionally insignificant. Even Mrs. Ursula Black, a former Flint, has managed to make more of a name for herself in the social scene!

Mr. Stephen Flint in the only picture of his we managed to find. With this seeming aversion for the photographic lens, one could assume that he's a vampire!

Mr. Stephen Flint is the Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. With an occupation such as his, and given recent events, it is truly a surprise that we’ve not heard more of this man! You would think that he, more than anyone, would have something to say with the half-breed sentiments that were displayed this summer. Perhaps Hogwarts’ Board of Governors and the Wizengamot felt the need to take matters into their own hands because of his inability to do anything with his position!

Furthermore, Mr. Flint’s department is also responsible for the Werewolf Capture Unit. Miss Topaz Urquart’s werewolf attack this summer proved how inept that department is at doing its one job, if they could allow a werewolf to wander around freely to attack little girls! We ask you, our dear readers. Would you trust a man who can’t even run a single Department with our entire country?

A final, but equally important note is that Mr. Flint utterly lacks charisma. Those asked and whose response wasn’t “Stephen who?” report that the man has the charm of a stale piece of bread. With that in mind, it is unlikely that he will even win over enough voters to win the title!

@Stephen Flint
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour
    Clearly Miss Lovegood is suffering from some form of abnormality of the mind to have passed up the former Minister; as you'll recall that nasty werewolf business hadn't even happened yet! Heard Around Town!
    This week we bring you all the juiciest gossip and it seems our candidates for future Minister — along with their wives! — are providing the bulk of it!

~ * ~

“My cousin went to Mr. Skeeter's campaign luncheon last month and she said his own brother said he didn't even want to be Minister! Apparently the entire 'campaign' is just staged to get him more involved in the social scene, can you imagine?”

~ * ~

“Have you heard how Miss Lovegood has become a notorious shut-in since her runaway bride escapade? Do you suppose she's found her sense of shame or is she just trying to live up to the title of 'spinster'? Perhaps her brothers have quietly sent her away to a lunatic asylum...”

~ * ~

“You remember there was that bit in the Prophet about women leaving Rose & Thistle after Miss Dippet did? I heard someone say the ladies' club is like a ghost town these days! I wonder how they'll be able to recover?”

~ * ~

“Mrs. Ross has only been with child twice in all the years she's been married. Coming from the family she does, one has to wonder what could possibly be the matter with her--she didn't even play Quidditch in school! Do you suppose the problem is on her husband's end?”

~ * ~

“At the Podmore's fundraiser I saw Miss Ellory Pendergast being tended to for a broken ankle. Apparently, Miss Pendergast and Mr. Orpheus Parkinson were up in one of those balloons when something went awry causing the pair of them to jump out of the basket. You' d think Mr. Parkinson could have protected Miss Pendergast a little better but I suppose magnificent hair doesn't dictate chivalry. Red hair, on the other hand, clearly spells for disaster, it's a wonder Miss Pendergast has any limbs left!”

~ * ~

“I heard that Mrs. Scamander breeds dangerous creatures out on that farm of hers, in addition to hippogriffs! If her husband is elected, do you think he'll try and change the regulations so that she can do as she pleases? I don't fancy having quintapeds running about my garden!”

~ * ~

@Barnabas Skeeter @Adelia Lovegood @Justin Ross @Roslyn Ross @Ellory Pendergast @Orpheus Parkinson @Eugene Scamander
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Issue #143 - In Defense of the Marriage Ban - A Feature by Madam Flint Witch Weekly 5 1,795 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly