Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Moving Questions!
    Hi! Rather than pester individual people on Skype or in PMs I thought I'd throw some questions here, because I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one curious about these things. xD

REAPPING EVERYONG: Are we still going to have the one-character-app-at-a-time rule when everyone officially moves over to the new site and has to repost applications? Because, uh, if so, I need to take a long hard look at who I will want to be posting immediately and who can wait a week or three until the admins aren't swamped. If we're not sticking to that, is there an upper cap (three apps at once, or something), and if not is there a certain "grace period" to get all your apps posted before the one-at-a-time rule kicks in again?

RETCONNING AND HISTORY LISTS: ... Is there already a policy regarding this? I assume that inactive characters / those not moving over will be scrubbed from the history lists, at least where it would conflict with the needs of active characters? If we're retconning things that would affect the history lists, when can we claim their new positions? Seeing what's available might affect my decisions about retconning in certain cases.

CODING: Do we have any idea whether board-specific coding (i.e. character tagging system) is going to be the same on the new board / how it might be different? I only ask so I know whether I'm going to have to redo that massive Lestrange family tree in Tiberius' profile again >>

I will almost certainly have more questions but in the meantime <3 you all.
    @Aldous Crouch @Cassius Lestrange @Ursula Black
    ON REAPPING:
    — I think the intent is one-at-a-time, but we’ll come out with something more official as the time draws nearer. Beta testers will get three characters to do at their leisure during beta, also. In terms of a grace period, we will be closed to new people entirely for the first month after we open to our existing members, to allow y’all a chance to work on getting things squared away.

ON HISTORY LISTS
    — Uhh. I’ll get back to you. There will be something involving pruning them again, but I’m afraid I can’t be more specific for at least a couple of weeks. At the VERY latest that info will be available come Beta time.

I cannot comment on coding at all.
    after a splinching incident in july 1884, aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp.
    [Image: xndky8.jpg]
    set by breezey
    (11-13-2017, 04:55 PM)Ophelia Dippet Wrote: RETCONNING AND HISTORY LISTS: ... Is there already a policy regarding this? I assume that inactive characters / those not moving over will be scrubbed from the history lists, at least where it would conflict with the needs of active characters? If we're retconning things that would affect the history lists, when can we claim their new positions? Seeing what's available might affect my decisions about retconning in certain cases.

With that, if a character of mine is an adoptable of a character who is Inactive (such as Margaret), must I retcon her so she's more mine and original, or does the family become mine?
    The same kinda can be said of the Bennet Twins that Ocean and I share. (Plans for those girls, wouldn't want to loose them ;) )
    Set created by me! Check out more at my graphics shop!
    [Image: qUBAbLw.jpg]
    Acacia needs help! Come support the cause?
    [Image: IyGtyD.png][Image: fbG6udO.png]
    [Image: uZwWyBq.jpg]
    In the vein of apping, will there be a new application or will what we currently have be carried over to the new board?
    [-] The following 2 users Like Souri Avninder's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Ophelia Dippet
    [Image: mLK8um.png]
    tag souri avninder in your replies.
    @Acacia Ruskin I don't understand the question without more context; this sort of thing has been handled on a case-by-case basis.
    @Souri Avninder This is why y'all should fill out the survey! But more information will be available in a couple of weeks - (like Kayte said, basically) - or at the latest during the beta.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Cassius Lestrange's post:
       Aldous Crouch, Souri Avninder
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    I didn't see a date on the timeline for when our current board is closing. I'm assuming while the beta testers are on the new site with their three characters the rest of their characters/the plebians will still be active here. Is there any "downtime" (time we can't make new posts) for the non-beta testers? If so, do we know roughly how long we anticipate that being (half a day, a few days, a few weeks)?

EDIT: Wait, I think I might have been confused. I've re-read and am now of the opinion that everyone who isn't beta testing will have no access to the board/no ability to post from 1 Feb - 1 March unless the board "passes" beta sooner and opens before then to members. Is that the case? IF SO: will the standalone Cbox link still be available to everyone/running for that month that we're mostly closed?

casually planning out an entire month of Google doc threads to keep myself from gouging my own eyes out if I'm not a beta tester
    OH OH OH

Kayte told me while beta testers are testing, everyone should have access to our current board. Olive will not switch all our current posts and stuff over until the whole charming community is on the new board. The beta testers will still have access to this board, but they also can use the new board. Basically up until the whole charming community is welcomed to the new board, everyone can use the old one.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Annabelle Scrimgeour's post:
       Aldous Crouch

Quote:LATE JANUARY — Switch URL over (if not sooner). At this point, you’ll need to use the charmingrpg.sunwolves.com to access the board until we complete the move. You will still be able to post on the existing board!

BOLDED FOR EMPHASIS YOU FEAR MONGERER =P

/bree is correct

There will be no interruption of posting except you will probably have to use the sunwolves URL from late January onwards. That URL is technically always active, so you could even start using it now without issue!
    after a splinching incident in july 1884, aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp.
    set by breezey
    (11-14-2017, 12:31 AM)Aldous Crouch Wrote: BOLDED FOR EMPHASIS YOU FEAR MONGERER =P

/bree is correct

There will be no interruption of posting except you will probably have to use the sunwolves URL from late January onwards. That URL is technically always active, so you could even start using it now without issue!

WELL YOU DIDN'T PUT THAT IN THE FEBRUARY SECTION AND THERE WAS NO MENTION OF A SECOND URL. I panicked D:

EDIT: Also I just checked (Navy habit: trust but verify, yo) and the url is charmingrp.sunwolves.com (the announcement says charmingrpg) and it won't let me log in. :P
    I have a few questions!

1. Regarding shop worker being confined to the lower class: Does that count for family-owned shops? Or just ones on the occupations list?

2. Will there ever be a time where registration is closed, either for the current or new board during the move?

(11-14-2017, 12:43 AM)Ophelia Dippet Wrote:
    (11-14-2017, 12:31 AM)Aldous Crouch Wrote: BOLDED FOR EMPHASIS YOU FEAR MONGERER =P

/bree is correct

WELL YOU DIDN'T PUT THAT IN THE FEBRUARY SECTION AND THERE WAS NO MENTION OF A SECOND URL. I panicked D:

EDIT: Also I just checked (Navy habit: trust but verify, yo) and the url is charmingrp.sunwolves.com (the announcement says charmingrpg) and it won't let me log in. :P

Because the coding for the login button automatically routes to the usual URL. When the time comes this won't be an issue.

(11-14-2017, 06:34 AM)Annabelle Scrimgeour Wrote: I have a few questions!

1. Regarding shop worker being confined to the lower class: Does that count for family-owned shops? Or just ones on the occupations list?

2. Will there ever be a time where registration is closed, either for the current or new board during the move?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Guys, just a heads up that the majority of questions are going to have a "probably this but hold tight until January" response given how far off it is and the fact that we're also still soliciting suggestions via two different google forms. That's one reason we'd prefer to be contacted directly, because putting things in writing in the forum is very...official and we don't like it at this stage xD
    [-] The following 3 users Like Aldous Crouch's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Barnabas Skeeter, Cassius Lestrange
    set by breezey

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.