Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Issue #155 - Lytton Beauty: The New Face of Cosmetics
    This is Conri Power's first bid to become the Minister of Magic. It came as a surprise for most people familiar with him as he has never shown much political inclinations before now. Exclusive interview with Minister candidate, Conri Power!
    Witch Weekly was welcomed into the home and study of Minister candidate, Mister Conri Power. His study was neat and organized with many books upon his shelves. Many images of what we can only assume to be various family members were displayed in the study which we feel shows that Mister Powers is quite the family man, indeed. Mrs. Aamiya Powers and Miss Aisling Power, Mister Powers' wife and sister respectively, also sat in on the interview in support of Mister Powers.

Read excerpts from our interview with Mister Powers below!

Conri Power is the owner of Power Charms and Spells Supplies, a shop that opened its doors in 1886.

WW: Why did you decide to run for Minister?
    "Making a difference in this country is something that I do hope will be something that I accomplish, and working as Minister is how I feel that I can do the most to serve the people of this great country."

WW: How do you feel like your background has prepared you for this position?
    "My business, though what some would call as new, is already thriving. One reason being people skills. Working with others is the key to any good system, and I feel that I do have the skills necessary to work with others, certainly much better than that of a person whose occupation requires little interaction with others unless when needed. In my current line of work, interaction is required for the occupation. Responsibility and admitting that one can improve and learn as they work through life is also a sign in maturity. I do not see other candidates discussing their bad press and showing signs of improvement as I am showing, and continuing to work on now. Life is made of people improving, and one would be a fool to think otherwise."

WW: What are your opinions on Minister Urquart and his policies?
    "I do not feel that his policies were wrong, but there can be room for improvement. More efficiency on werewolf registration, working out any problems with the system. I do hope to look more into the system once Minister, and see what can be further improved, along with other subjects. I do feel that, at the end of his time in office, Mr. Urquart could have been more involved in his work than he had been, after all, a marriage ban had been placed in his absence."

WW: Were you surprised by his resignation?
    "Mr. Urquart seemed to have neglected his job position long before resigning, given he wasn't even present during the session of the marriage ban. No matter how loyal one is to one's family, it is also important to continue his work, despite what is happening in his personal life. It seemed only a matter of time before he was to leave, given the recent events involving his daughter."

WW:The previous minister resigned for family reason. You have a new wife and are expecting a child, why do you feel like you would be able to balance things better?
    "Ministers before Urquart was in office had been blessed with families of their own. Not many of them had fallen from power due to family reasons. Urquart's situation seems to be a unique case, and it seems that Mr. Flint should focus more on his current job, rather than his sights for Minister, if he is to better handle the werewolf situation. I do believe that if Miss Urquart had not been attacked, Mr. Urquart would not have felt the need to resign. But there is a problem with the werewolves, as so many have failed to register, and it needs to be more properly addressed."

WW:What reason did you have for marrying during the mourning period for your mother?
    "Though I did address this in a Daily Prophet article, I do understand that some may wish for me to restate what I said, and elabrate on the thought process. My mother was a woman that was full of life and happiness. It feels that living in sorrow, and hiding at home would be shameful to her joyful memory and life. She was quite excited to hear about my wedding, and wanted to know about Aamiya so much, and if given more time with her, I would have loved to talk with her of the woman that I love. Along with that, I had almost died as well. It felt better to me to marry when I can, because life has proven to be so unpredictable, and I didn't want to waste a moment waiting around in my home, only thinking of sadness. My mother wouldn't have wanted that, she would want me happy. A wedding felt like the best way to honor her wishes for my life."

WW:You were in a coma recently, how has that effected you? Do you think it could have any effect in how you might run things as a minister?
    "Being awake after a coma has inspired me to live my life here and now, not living in the past for the rest of my life. Hopefully it will allow me to think about things that will effect our future and that of our following generations in a positive light."

WW:How do you plan to handle an entire country when you couldn't handle your own brother?
    "My brother, I have had a great deal of distance from for a couple of years now. My sister, wife, and company, had been my main focus, along with paying attention to current events. I have learned to keep a wary eye on him, as it was indeed a mistake not to do so before hand. I feel that it was a learning experience to live through his immature actions, and to learn from them. Learning is what helps people to move forward from past mistakes, and that is what I plan to do, take more consideration of my actions and give more of my attention to the people of this great country, and the needs of the country."

WW:What are your immediate plans if elected?
    "First, I would like to look into further detail of current issues that I feel need to be improved upon, such as the earlier stated Werewolf issues. Along with that, going over cases of the recent murders with the Auror Department, and see if any policies can be made to help the hard working aurors in their work to keep us all safe, and bring others to justice."

WW:What do you think are the most important issues facing magical Britain today?
    "The issue is the fact that there has been so much violence and murders recently. It seems to have increased this summer, and that must end. We continue to focus on the rights of others, when we really should be focusing on the safety of everyone. Must we forget our own humanity as we question those of others?"

For more election coverage, stay subscribed to Witch Weekly!

@Conrí Power @Aamiya Power
    Beijing: The Star of the East
    The much anticipated Witch Weekly Anniversary Sweepstakes departed the country on November 4th on the start of their magical adventure. This week we received our first correspondence back from the winners, with a detailed expose on Beijing from former Chudley Cannons chaser, Miss Ginevra Blackwood:

To say that I have been flattered and honoured to be chosen to be part of the Witch Weekly sweepstake trip would be an understatement! Not only have we been given the opportunity to visit some fabulous places, but to get to know a fine group of the young ladies of England all the better, that I am glad now to say that I know all the better for the opportunity.

The first stop of our exciting voyage is Beijing. Despite my own experience of international travel, I have never before seen such colour, vibrancy and luxury, as we experienced on our travels though china! From the busy and bustling market places to the quiet and calm of its monastery’s China at large, and Beijing specifically are truly beautiful and magical in equal measures.

We attended a Chinese tea ceremony, duly garbed in the traditional raiment of the women of this country. While the tea was a not entirely to my taste (give me English breakfast tea any day) the small sweet treats provided by our host in the surroundings of the beautiful temple gardens were wonderful.
    That evening, our little party was treated to a visit to the Chinese opera. In our Western clothing we rather stood out among the ornately dressed and highly painted ladies who were dressed in the Chinese style. While I will admit that I did not understood a word of what was being sung, the music spoke for itself and the message was universal – a tale of young lovers, parted and lost to each other. The sort of story that makes a wonderful operatic presentation regardless of the language.

On our last day, there was some interest in seeing the national Chinese Quidditch team play a game at home in their stadium in Beijing, but alas there was not time to do all, and what lady, even one as enamored with Quidditch as myself would pass up a visit to the silk lakes outside of Beijing itself, where silk of every colour and pattern were dyed and printed for use in fabulous garments the likes of which are seldom seen in England. After admiring the wonderful fabrics at length, we stopped into the shop of a Ms. Su Jen, a lady of inestimable age, and near blindness who was the sole seamstress of simply remarkable magical gowns. I was not the only lady who indulged in procuring the statement garment for my wardrobe back home.

Lytton Beauty - The New Face of Cosmetics
    While most may be familiar with the Lytton family for their wonderful fashion designs and creations, it could come as a surprise to some that both Mr. Marcus Lytton and his sister Ms. Octavia Lytton are now pursuing the world of cosmetics. Their base of operations is noted to take hold in Diagon Alley, where the moguls recently bought a fairly successful apothecary dedicated to selling beauty products. As the Lytton's are no strangers to success, we here at Witch Weekly only imagine the biggest and the best coming from this new shop's doors.

As with any new business venture, the recruitment of individuals dedicated to their craft already is essential to get everything off the ground. This is precisely why the Lytton's have decided to enlist talents, such as Madam Primpernelle, to showcase their wares and products within the newfound shop. These individuals may also lend their expertise to the production of additional potions and brews to enhance the complexion of society's finest and anyone else wishing to enhance their appearance.

Through a little digging, the Lytton family hinted that there may be certain hair potions that would provide effects to compliment ladies dresses. This revolutionary invention could prove very beneficial to the women of society and may initiate a certain change in expectations for event attendance in regards to appearance. There is also talk of a plethora of "fun" potions that may assist our beauty connoisseurs in daily life and some that could improve debutante's liveliness and success at parties. If you wish to be apart of this undertaking, know of anyone in the beauty market that would be interested in assisting the Lytton's, or would like to expand your cosmetic collection, be on the look out for Lytton Beauty in Diagon Alley!
    Mr. Marcus Lytton, founder of The House of Lytton, will be heading the shop with his sister, pictured below, to a predicted great success.Ms. Octavia Lytton, co-founder, will be enlisting her talents to Lytton Beauty along with maintaining her role as fashion designer for The House of Lytton.

@Marcus Lytton @Octavia Lytton
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Ellory Pendergast

Discover Your November Horoscope!

You've felt unstructured recently, and need a strict schedule in order to restore balance to your life. Reevaluate your priorities and decide what to spend your time on.
    You may have been a bit too creative with your costume, last month. Get yourself out of the speculative public eye by lying low and staying in most of this month, and you'll be able to enjoy a peaceable Christmas.
    If you buy a new product this month, it will almost certainly not work as intended. Stick to old favorites for your beauty routine; this is not the month to be adventurous!
    This is an excellent month for you to meet new people and make new connections, as your social energy is in full flair. Unfortunately, the lack of society events this month will challenge you.

Beware of spending too much time on one project this month. Slow and steady may win the race, but it will also make you an exceptionally dull person in the long run.

This is the time to take matters into your own hands. A little initiative in either your love life or your family relationships will go a long way this month!
    Someone close to you has recently told you a lie, and your behavior this month will determine the consequences. Reexamine your friendships and acquaintances to see who the betrayer is, and what their motives might be.
    This is a good month to learn a new skill or embark on a new interest. Try visiting the library or picking up a new hobby and you may surprise yourself with previously unrealized talents.
    Oh, dear, your finances are about to take a turn for the worse. Buckle down and try to cut corners on your spending wherever possible; you'll be tightening your belt soon if you don't take care now!
    Workplace romance is in your future! If you are married or engaged, try surprising your man at his place of work with a homemade lunch or small gift; if you are single, loitering near your father's office may just lead you to the man of your dreams!
    November is a good month for charity, so if you aren't already involved in something, now is the time. Try going through some of your old things and donating them to the poor, if you lack other inspiration.
    Things are going smoothly at the moment. Do your best not to get in your own way this month, and instead let circumstances take their course. Focus your energies on planning for Christmas.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Issue #144 - The Fashionable Life of Mr. Marcus Lytton! Witch Weekly 5 527 08-27-2017, 08:16 AM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly
      Issue #111 - Fashions for the New Year, With Miss Octavia Lytton Witch Weekly 5 828 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM
      Issue #70 - The Meaning of Love: Mr. Lytton's St. Valentine's Charity Ball Witch Weekly 4 1,315 02-21-2016, 03:28 AM
      Issue #38 - House of Lytton's Under the Sea Ball Witch Weekly 4 1,456 07-05-2015, 02:37 PM