Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Help me understand this reputation bullshit
    So right off the bat, this is what the reputation document says:
    Quote:Please note that different classes will always be regarded differently, regardless of their reputation!  A middle class person with a reputation level of 3 will still always trump a lower class person with a reputation level of 5.

It doesn't seem that the site treats it this way, though. There have been countless events that say UCAB and MCAB people with a 4+ reputation, insinuating that being MC and having a 4 reputation is allowed, while someone UCAB with a 3 reputation is below them. Or at LC-MC events, it will say, MC people with a rep 4+ and LC people with a rep 5, directly conflicting with the above rules from the reputation doc. I need to know the true order of shit for invitation purposes. Who is better off in the eyes of society? What is the appropriate order that society should, according to the doc, regard them in?

I think that the doc means that money and class sometimes wins because money = power. Like, Caspar & wife and stepkids have reps of 4 and 3 because of scandal, but socioeconomically they're doing better than Hudson and his family, even if Hudson and his family have no scandal attached to them. Caspar has the money. Caspar is the capital.

TBH, on matter of invitations, I don't think like people do them regarding this doc religiously? Rep has become such a natural part of our board culture that we just "know" what a rep means. It also depends on case by case basis and who's inviting etc. I also generally feel that we put UC and MC in the same bag, because the nature of their scandal would be similar, if that makes sense? LC people are usually lower reps for being bastards, generally iffy, having iffy jobs, being immigrants, etc. UC and MC people on the other hand are often lower reps because they're eccentric or because their cousin had a bastard. So yes.

So basically, do invitations based on your character. If your character is a Puritan TM, they'd only invite 5 reps. If they're more chill, they might invite rep 3 people regardless of class. If you're unsure about other people's invitations, ask them.
    [-] The following 3 users Like Ruby Urquart's post:
       Elsie Beauregard, Helena MacMillan, Odira Potter
    [Image: 6KPo4lT.png]
    Yeah, obviously it's become a natural part of the board canon, but I was just wondering what the initial message the document was trying to get across. Reputation has been the one thing I've never understood very well because it is mixed up with all different things — simply having different circumstances can prevent your reputation from rising and falling like another's could. For example, when Bella was disowned, she went from a reputation 3 instead of a reputation 2 because of some circumstances that were never explicitly explained to me. It makes me curious as to how society should regard these things, even if it's individual on a lot of levels~

Really, with everything social, there's not a hard set rule on how things work. It depends on many things. That doc was also written back when the system was first introduced so I think we should give it some benefit of the doubt. I feel like many things there might bave become less strict as it became a more natural part of the community.

The whole point of the system, really, was so we wouldn't have a bunch of super wealthy characters who were lower class because of shitty reps. With the rep our classes could reflect the people's lifestyle, regardless of reputation.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ruby Urquart's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour
    [Image: 6KPo4lT.png]
    Soph hit on this earlier, but every time I do invitations for an event it's based on what is important to that character. Ophelia is an unmarried woman, so she's more affected by hanging out with low-reputation people and more conscious of having them at her events. She doesn't care so much about class because she was raised MC. So for her, inviting UC/MC people with Rep 4+ makes a lot of sense. Thom sometimes cares about rep and sometimes doesn't, depending on the type of event, but he's pretty iffy on partial veela for personal reasons no matter what their rep is.

I think the bit you quoted is more saying for general standing in society, not for getting invitations to random parties. Say that a LC Rep 5 person and an UC Rep 3 person work in the same department of the hospital, and a spot for a promotion opens up. Who's going to get it? The UC person is, because even though they may have done some sketchy things they've still got money, power, name recognition, networking stuff, etc etc. That's the life part of it, so who cares who's getting invited to a particular party?
    [-] The following 4 users Like Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Elsie Beauregard, Flora Halliday, Helena MacMillan, Odira Potter
    You know ilu but I've gotta say I'm a little bit miffed the system that was my brain child and that the staff has worked so hard to perfect being referred to as bullshit is hurtful...
    Barney uses a prosthetic leg and a cane to get around.

[Image: AWqs15D.gif][Image: kZuCust.jpg]
    oh Teeee I didn't mean the system was bullshit. D:
    I meant the way I've managed to confuse myself by all this reputation stuff was bullshit D:
    Since his wife and daughter's death on July 17, 1887, Mathias has not left the home and refuses to take visitors. Letters can be sent to him for contact, but there's no guaranteeing he'll write back. He's not eating or sleeping regularly and refuses to leave his son's presence most of the day.
    [Image: GBGMm4.png] [Image: pMNqm4.png]
    <33333
    Barney uses a prosthetic leg and a cane to get around.

[Image: AWqs15D.gif][Image: kZuCust.jpg]

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Reputation Updates Lucius Lestrange 31 11,624 02-05-2015, 02:41 AM
    Last Post: Farrah Wintemute
      I Don't Give a Damn 'Bout My Reputation Threnody Mohr 61 12,406 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM
    Last Post: Eleora Etherium