Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Magical Sephora - A Name That Isn't That
    I've mentioned a shop in Diagon Alley called 'Magical Sephora' with at least two different characters. Its name is obviously not Magical Sephora, but I'm too lazy to make up a name for an NPC cosmetic shop.

I was thinking that we could think of one as a community so it becomes sort of board canon for future references too? Or, if anyone actually has a character who owns such a shop can come forward to let the world know. xD

Before anyone says "um there's the Apothecary" BOO GO AWAY I WANT A MAGICAL SEPHORA :P

I'm tempted to have Marcus buy off that shop so he monopolizes ALL OF THE MAGICAL BEAUTY INDUSTRY MWAHAHAH #illuminaticonfirmed
    [-] The following 4 users Like Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Aurelia Wallingford, Constance Sykes, Imogen MacFusty, Souri Avninder
    Yes it needs a name. I can't offer ideas right now cause I'm at a race but it needs to be a thing cause I want dezzie to work there if she doesn't get married right away.
    [Image: 7UbG8v9.jpg]
    thanks mj for the awsome set!!
    classes: earth magic, divination, music, transfiguration, charms, potions, history of magic, defense against the dark arts, astronomy, herbology, etiquette
    A lot of period beauty supplies were just called by someone's name, e.g. "Doctor Stafford's Hair Tonic" "Mrs. Whyte's Hand Cream" "Madam Rosette's Arsenic Lotion."

We've got Miss Primpernelle on the canon list who "has aspirations of opening up her own shop dedicated to the production and sale of beauty-related potions." Which is what her canon has said for years. I vote we upgrade her canon blurb to say she recently opened a shop in Diagon Alley (in '86 or early '87) and call Magical Sephora "Madam Primpernelle's Emporium" or some thing similar.

Then the girls in the know can call shopping trips there "paying a call to Miss P," or something and it'd be a cute euphemism for "spending all my husband's money lol but don't tell him"
    [-] The following 5 users Like Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Ellory Pendergast, Marigold Finch, Roslyn Ross, Souri Avninder
    (10-14-2017, 12:32 PM)Ophelia Dippet Wrote: A lot of period beauty supplies were just called by someone's name, e.g. "Doctor Stafford's Hair Tonic" "Mrs. Whyte's Hand Cream" "Madam Rosette's Arsenic Lotion."

We've got Miss Primpernelle on the canon list who "has aspirations of opening up her own shop dedicated to the production and sale of beauty-related potions." Which is what her canon has said for years. I vote we upgrade her canon blurb to say she recently opened a shop in Diagon Alley (in '86 or early '87) and call Magical Sephora "Madam Primpernelle's Emporium" or some thing similar.

Then the girls in the know can call shopping trips there "paying a call to Miss P," or something and it'd be a cute euphemism for "spending all my husband's money lol but don't tell him"

I reeeally like this!

I vote they sell potions from other potioneers there, too so my beauty blogger articles for WW make sense >.> So it's a ~big~ shop, rather than just Miss Primpernelle's workshop. Her own stuff would simply be considered the more quality one or whatever. Like how Sephora has Dior and idk, Seventeen. xD

Or maybe Miss Primpernelle could hire talented potioneers to brew her secret creations to people. And other than selling ready products, women could go there and commission for a certain potion.

I also prefer just 'Primpernelle Emporium' because it sounds more like a high fashion make up brand whereas Madam Primpernelle Emporium makes me think of homely cheap make up. >.>

EDIT: Apparently it's called Madan Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions in canon but I LIKE EMPORIUM BETTER it sounds like Emporio Armani.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Constance Sykes
    (10-14-2017, 01:58 PM)Ellory Pendergast Wrote: I reeeally like this!

I vote they sell potions from other potioneers there, too so my beauty blogger articles for WW make sense >.> So it's a ~big~ shop, rather than just Miss Primpernelle's workshop. Her own stuff would simply be considered the more quality one or whatever. Like how Sephora has Dior and idk, Seventeen. xD

Or maybe Miss Primpernelle could hire talented potioneers to brew her secret creations to people. And other than selling ready products, women could go there and commission for a certain potion.

I also prefer just 'Primpernelle Emporium' because it sounds more like a high fashion make up brand whereas Madam Primpernelle Emporium makes me think of homely cheap make up. >.>

EDIT: Apparently it's called Madan Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions in canon but I LIKE EMPORIUM BETTER it sounds like Emporio Armani.
    Oh, you KNOW I'm into this SO much!

We could also keep in mind that it's the wizarding community, so if they deveiate from the Muggle equivalent, it's not too bad! I also agree with the name. I don't like "Madam Primernelle's Emporium" - sounds too tacky.

We could have the brand called "House of ______" like fashion companies do, and name the actual shop "______ Emporium"?

Also so fun fact, Sephora actually got named after Zipporah or Tzipora, a wife of Moses. We could go that route and just call it Zipporah or Tzipora, or we could see if there's a famous HP Canon figure of note. However, a lot of them tend on the more quirky side, so idk if we'd find such a figure xD
    [Image: PjJcRcW.jpg]
    [Image: NgWZmWq.png][Image: jV4zYu4.png][Image: q4dbTiu.jpg]
    [Image: O67Um7.png]
    I didn't imagine it would only be Miss Primpernelle's potions at the store, I figured when she wanted to produce/sell beauty potions there would be stuff from everywhere available and then a small section of her products.

And maybe instead of having potions commissioned specifically for them (because that sounds reeeeeally time consuming and potentially really expensive), women could go in for a "consultation" and they'd have a stylist in there to be like "Oh with your coloring, you need Madam Primpernelle's No. 13, I can't believe you've been using No. 6!"

Sort of like how you can go in to beauty stores now and they'll do your makeup and then try and sell you a bunch of things xD So it'd be like an hour or two for an appointment and you'd pay for the stylists opinions and they'd put a bunch of stuff on you and then you'd theoretically buy everything they used.

also I have no idea why you guys think "Madam" sounds tacky because I don't get that at all but /shrug NOT THAT INVESTED DO WHAT YOU WANT

Edit: They should sell perfumes and beauty products, too, not just potions!
    (10-14-2017, 01:58 PM)Ellory Pendergast Wrote: EDIT: Apparently it's called Madan Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions in canon but I LIKE EMPORIUM BETTER it sounds like Emporio Armani.

Specifically for that: shops rebrand themselves and change their names all the time and we have over a hundred years between now and HP-era Diagon Alley so I think we're safe to stray from that. =P It could be the Primpernelle Emporium until the mid-1900s when they idk decided they needed to be more specific with their signage and changed it to Madam Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions.

That's also only canon from some newsletters for a HP fanclub, too. They were written by JKR so I guess they're legit but... less so than the books xD I'm not that worried about it.
    Let's go with Primpernelle Emporium then? Everyone good with that?
    My only concern is "where the hell did this MC chick get the funding to build magical sephora". If it was more of a boutique sort of thing (still high-end, but small rather than the department store-esque thing I've been picturing) I'd be on board, but right now I just envision some sort of monstrosity >.>
    [Image: oxwH3M.png]
    #prettiesbymj
    (10-16-2017, 03:37 PM)Roslyn Ross Wrote: My only concern is "where the hell did this MC chick get the funding to build magical sephora". If it was more of a boutique sort of thing (still high-end, but small rather than the department store-esque thing I've been picturing) I'd be on board, but right now I just envision some sort of monstrosity >.>

Jenny and I were actually talking about our fashion mogul babies and maybe Marcus/Octavia could have found out about Miss Primpernelle and they offered to fund like 2/3 of the shop? So they own that but they keep her name as the brand because she made a name of herself in the beauty industry in these past few years.

MONOPOLIZE THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY. CAPITALISM!!!! BIG COMPANIES BEING THE 1% AHAHAHHAHA
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Aurelia Wallingford

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.