Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Issue #149 - Witch Weekly Anniversary Sweepstakes Winners Announced!
    [Image: mdEIyx.png]
    Shakespeare's A Comedy of Errors
    is perfectly entertaining within the pages of a book or on a stage, but in real life there is very little comedic value in the seamless confusion of a pair of scheming identical twins. Certainly not when they plot political corruption, the success of which would make a farce of our government and society!
    Who Is Roman Crouch?
    Who is Roman Crouch, you ask? Surely you've heard his name thrown around since his declaration that he was running for election as our next Minister of Magic. We here at Witch Weekly could echo other dull publications and state the facts of his background such as who his parents were and what house he was sorted into at Hogwarts, but we've got far more interesting information for you loyal readers.

Mr. Roman Crouch is the younger brother of the physically hampered Mr. Aldous Crouch of the Department of International Magical Co-Operation of which he is Head, as well as the older brother of Mr. Gaius Malfoy's infinitely forgettable second wife. These connections are inconsequential when one considers his other brother.
    Roman Crouch and Reuben Crouch may be identical, but at least the former seems to have a good grasp of how to use a straight razor!

Mr. Reuben Crouch is not only his twin brother but also identical. If you lack sensible superstition regarding twins, this fact should still alarm you. The character of Mr. Reuben Crouch is questionable at best as our sources have revealed and is at this moment strangely absent from society and has been since his brother announced his campaign.

Where has Reuben Crouch gone? While many suggest the wild card brother has been banished to Canada to either help or prevent hindering election success, Witch Weekly have reason to believe this is not the case at all! Mr. Reuben Crouch has not left the country at all and is instead masquerading as his identical twin. While this might seem odd for a brother who eschewed a Ministerial career and is known to be erratic and amoral in his behavior, by assisting his brother to the position of Minister, he can seamlessly seize control of wizarding Britain by removing his twin and no one would be the wiser. Mr. Roman Crouch is a mere puppet for his evil twin!

Mr. Aldous Crouch also stands to gain unprecedented power by manipulating his younger brother should he become Minister. A man whose marital and career prospects have been marred by sudden physical frailty is the embittered sort who then resorts to puppetry and manipulation. The cripple is rarely painted in a dishonorable light as the eldest Crouch brother surely knows.

With this fiendish hand to play, the Crouch family look set to seize power and are so confident in their odds to win, that Mr. Aldous Crouch is said to be arranging powerful marriage alliances with foreign aristocracy on the assumption of his brother's success and with the intention of using these foreign influences to further assure political domination.

In the end, Roman Crouch would appear to be little more than an impotent tool for the scheming of his brothers.

@Roman Crouch @Aldous Crouch @Reuben Crouch @November Malfoy
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Odira Potter
    Lonely Hearts
    Sentimental Spinster
    Seeking kindhearted gentleman over the age of thirty for lifelong companionship. The lady in question is no longer in the bloom of youth but still hopes for a mutually affectionate marriage. He must be patient and willing to take time with a potential courtship.

If interested, please respond via Witch Weekly's Lonely Heart's column.

Book Lover

Fiction Regarded As Necessary Common Interest, Strictly.
    I Must Say Of Reading Romance, Yes.

Do Ever Authors Read Happily Ending And Realistic Tales Regarding Everyday Predicaments Like Yours.

Real Life Frederick Wentworth

Seeking a nice girl for a friend of mine. If you're looking for a young (early thirties), honourable, well-travelled man, he's your man! He's also a hopeless romantic, though he'd never admit it. Basically, he's like a Jane Austen male character come to life.

Lilium Inter Spinas
    In response to Floral Enthuasiast

While my first name is a virtue and not a flower, my middle name is the lily of the valley, I would not be adverse to a happy partner with a love of flowers, for I too have a love of all things that grow from the earth.

If you wish to correspond, and see if perhaps two botanists can fill the world with flowers, leave a letter in a copy of 'Fordice's Flowering Herbs' in the library.

Happiness is just an owl away! Send a letter in with your personal advertisement or response to have it printed in the next issue. Address your letters to: Lonely Hearts, Witch Weekly.
    Witch Weekly Anniversary Sweepstakes Winners Announced!
    After a thrilling run and many excellent writing samples received from all of our faithful readers, the winners of the Witch Weekly Anniversary sweepstakes were drawn this week and we are ready to announce the five lucky women!

Miss Ophelia Dippet, of London.

Please join us in congratulating Miss Ophelia Dippet, Miss Ismene Swift, Miss Ginevra Blackwood, Mrs. Rhea Maddox, and Mrs. Katia Meadowes!

Miss Ismene Swift, of Bartonburg.

Embarking on a magical journey beginning the first week of November, these ladies will travel to Beijing, the Himalayan mountains, Jerusalem, Acra, and Venice before returning to England via cruise liner the second week in December. For all of our readers not among the lucky few, you'll still be able to follow their adventures right here in Witch Weekly as we track their travels!
    Miss Ginevra Blackwood, of London.

Miss Blackwood is the only working woman among our winners, currently holding a position with the Chudley Canons as a Chaser. We have not yet heard how her team intends to cover her absence for the holiday!

Mrs. Rhea Maddox, of Bartonburg.

Mrs. Maddox and Mrs. Meadowes both leave behind several children (eight, in the latter case!) but are confident their nannies and husbands will be able to manage admirably during their absence. "Mr. Maddox knows I could use the vacation!" commented Mrs. Maddox. "He couldn't be happier that I'm getting to go!"

Mrs. Katia Meadowes, of Irvingly.

@Ophelia Dippet @Katia Meadowes @Ismene Swift @Ginevra Blackwood
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
       Odira Potter
    4 Ballroom Horror Stories
    We may not all have been in Miss Artemisia Carrow’s shoes and attended a ball in which our sibling was killed, but many of us have still experienced ‘horror stories’ in a ballroom! We asked our readers to share us their stories:

“I was at one of the balls last summer when I noticed that my shoes weren’t matching! You see, my maid took too long with my hair and my sister and I were late! Some friends of ours would pick us up with their carriage so we couldn’t be late! In my hurry, I put on two different shoes! I was mortified! I was never more grateful for my long skirts!”
    Mary, 19, Hogsmeade

“I once had the misfortune of dancing with a drunk man! I had promised him a polka at the beginning of the evening so you understand that I couldn’t turn him down. It was horrid! His breath stank and he made a spectacle of ourselves! Thankfully, my brother gave him a word afterward!”
    Hortensia, 23, London

“I once wore the same dress as the hostess! We’d both seen the same fashion plate. When my mother caught wind of it, she ushered us home immediately. I was so disappointed! I knew that I a gentleman who was interested in me would be in attendance that evening!”
    Victoria, 20, Irvingly

“We were denied entrance at a ball because my foolish sister had misplaced our invitation! We then had to wait for nearly an hour in the cold for a carriage to pick us up because none of us could apparate and the hostess wouldn’t let us in the house to use the Floo Network! You see, she was robbed a few years back, so she was paranoid about letting ‘strangers’ in. Still, that is no excuse to be so rude!”
    Edith, 21, Hogsmeade

When Mrs. Noelle Macmillan died at one of her parties, after attacking her, many began to believe that Mrs. Emma Macmillan was capable of killing people with her mind!

Miss Artemisia Carrow accompanied her brother, Sterling Carrow, to his last ball before his (unsolved) murder...

@Emma Macmillan @Artemisia Carrow
    [Image: qsQ2jFg.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Witch Weekly Issue Directory Witch Weekly 4 23,891 01-03-2018, 11:22 AM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly
      Issue #87 - A Witch’s Guide to the Wizarding World Fair! Witch Weekly 5 1,209 06-19-2016, 02:07 PM
      Issue #78 - Ones to Watch: Witch Weekly's Dueling Tournament Picks Witch Weekly 4 912 04-17-2016, 01:33 AM
      Issue #52 - Happy Birthday! Witch Weekly’s Year in Review Witch Weekly 5 1,484 10-20-2015, 01:55 PM
      Issue #47 - Betrothal Announced! Witch Weekly 4 1,150 09-08-2015, 09:35 AM