Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Non-English Educations
    Chinese people speak Chinese. Japanese people speak Japanese. How would a Chinese person who only speaks Chinese be educated in a Japenenese institution when they don't know the language? I personally prefer the route that every country has its own local form of education than "All Asians go to the same school!"

I also personally don't view the magical community as some small town but rather a minority group. Even as a minority, there's still a significant number of people that are part of it. I have a friend who's in the turkish-greek minority group. I doubt that she knows EVERY turkish-greek person in Greece ever.

The members of the Magical Confederation of Wizards are well versed in English because that's their job. They're diplomats. You can't work into international politics and not know English. (Unless you're our prime minister and he gets a lot of shit for that xD)

To conclude, personally the "there's only 2 schools for all of Europe" thing has always irked me, so I'm Definitely in favour of going for local routes for education rather than try and put all cultures into the same bag.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Elias Grimstone, Odira Potter
    I would agree with Soph on this - in the modern HP verse it makes sense for irish people to attend Hogwarts because it's all English speaking but there is a reason that people from France dont go there - even if it's pretty close geographically and language and culture would be part of it.

I also thought that there are smaller magical schools but the big ones Durmstrang, Hogwarts etc are just the prestigious ones - and there are smaller local schools in each jurisdiction. Pottermore says that 'There are eleven long-established and prestigious wizarding schools worldwide.' - the long established and prestigious bit I think is important, implying that there are younger/not as prestigious places to learn magic other than the big 11 - think of the big 11 as the Ivy league, or Russel Group - there are other places they just arn't thought of as well. There is Illvermorney in the US and Salem Witches Institute was mentioned in the books at the World Cup.

'Smaller and less well-regulated institutions were rarely registered with the appropriate Ministry and are difficult to keep track of' - Pottermore

HOWEVER, it doesnt make sense to allow for a million parochial schools in a game like this because it becomes unadministratable.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Angus Greyback's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Odira Potter
    [Image: tumblr_omgq8ikkUv1tjydheo1_500.gif]
    There is an absolute "no" to Chinese students attending the Japanese school unless they for some reason already live in Japan. In that case it's a "yeah fine".

I was going to add more but I don't feel like I need to xD
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Aeror

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.