Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Non-English Educations
    This is a two part suggestion / discussion thing!

PART THE FIRST | So JKR's canon has eleven schools that are "long-established and prestigious." We've invented at least four more from our past plot with the pan-magical games, but if that information is on our site anywhere, I can't really find it. And I was here when it happened and played one of those students and should theoretically remember this. =P ANYWAY, since we're trying to encourage POCs and that potentially includes non-English characters, I feel like it would be very helpful to have a doc somewhere that lists out where the other established wizarding schools are for background purposes.

Obviously I don't think this needs to be like... really extensive, because mostly we're not going to have people who went to those other schools being played here, but things like "in South Africa school runs from age 7 - 17" or "Ilvermorney students receive their wands after being sorted" or "students from China couldn't attend Mahoutokoro because Japan wasn't opened to the world until 1867" would probably be helpful.

PART THE SECOND | Alright, so JKR's eleven established school list is a little problematic. Four magical schools in Europe and one for all of Africa? Really, JKR? THAT BEING SAID, I think that for this era we could sort of use that to our advantage.

Story time! Lynn once did an actually insane amount of research for an Indian character I apped extensively and then never posted (#whelp). By 'actually insane,' I mean I was on websites for introductory Hindi. Actually insane. Anyway! During this time period in India, there was a lot of British colonial presence, and some Western-style, formal schools, but that was far from the norm. If you were cozied up enough with the Brits you might get to send your kids to one of the Western schools, but the majority of Indian boys were educated by gurus, who they would live with for several years (like an apprenticeship). I used that model and applied it to magical education--like my character wouldn't have a wand until his guru decided he was ready for one, etc etc. I did that partly because it's really cool, but also because there is no canon school for that area.

TL;DR: In areas of the world where Western-style education wasn't widespread, and we don't already know about a canon school covering that area, I think we should encourage folks to go similar routes to how Muggle education was done in that area/time period, rather than (for instance) trying to invent a bunch of Hogwarts-esque schools for different areas beyond the ones we already have.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Ginevra Blackwood
    I support the creation of a doc. When I made Dhaval I actually had to work off an old character of mine for Mandira things because I didn't remember much about it beyond "It's the school in India." I also really like the guru thing and would have probably done the same for Dav if I knew that was a thing :P (I'm not a character research keener what can I say) [s]That's a good alternative if his sister can't go to Hogwarts next year)

I like the local touch when it comes to magical education. Because I agree, there can't be only 1-4 schools per continent. And in eastern Europe, for example, many countries are still new, so they wouldn't have the most prestigious schools. In Greece, for example, a magical school at this era would be super new, not super luxurious, there'd be a shortage of teachers and the older students would likely teach the younger ones. Similarly for other new countries that were once part of the Ottoman Empire in the Balkans.

I also feel that generally, many wizards at this era (barring muggleborns) would be taught in the family. As such, their magical skills/knowledge would likely be very location centric. Like, someone living in idk, rural China where there are assumingly many dragons, would likely be taught a lot of magic concerning dragons. And he'd be well versed in the local magical plantlife etc. He also probably wouldn't even use Latin incantations for spells. :P

I now kinda love the idea of wizard imperialists trying to force wizards all over the world to cast the 'correct' magic, with Latin incantations, Western/Ollivander style wands etc but that's probably a different discussion so don't mind me. xD
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Cecily Gallivan's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour
    [Image: lDu1GTV.png]
    i'm in love with this mj set
    A doc is on the to-do list!

Re: alternatives to full-on schools, I know we generally make up for JKR’s oversights (don’t get me started >.>) by casually making shit up. I know Ivana went to a girl’s finishing school that was also a magic school? In Russia, rather than the more formal Koadsjhfsjgfdyukfd.

I definitely support more regional approaches to schooling, mainly because I loathe the idea of people from entire continents with diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds going to the same place >.>
    [-] The following 2 users Like Odira Potter's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour, Hudson Pine

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    My logic on the only 11 wizarding schools is this:
    A) There were more in the past but they closed (I think this was mentioned on Pottermore?)
    B) Some wizarding cultures may exclusively educate privately. Nowadays the standard is to teach kids in one big facility and with a uniform curriculum but this doesn't necessarily mean that all wizarding populations follow the modern education template of the muggles in their country. I assumed that 11 wizarding schools in the world accounted for probably at least one in each continent and any gaps were filled by either really REALLY small very local schools or homeschooling.
    C) JKR has always been meticulous in her world building so I honestly believe that she's given it considerable thought and plotted it all out to fine detail, it's just the current lack of information makes it seem poorly planned.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ursula Black's post:
       Elsie Beauregard
    Rune keeps spoiling me unexpectedly with graphical wonders

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Also era wise about 70% of the muggle population, particularly girls, were educated at schools that would normally be just a widow with any unmarried daughters, in a house they happened to have use of, with no formal education themselves beyond not being known prostitutes XD It wouldn't be a stretch of imagination to believe that IC there are many little magical establishments around the world wherever there's demand
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Annette Fontaine's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: LVt7zaV.jpg]
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Jenny has sold her soul to gods of architecture and is most likely absent to some degree unless otherwise said. If you need me, various people have non-charming ways of throwing stones at me
    (09-30-2017, 10:36 AM)Cecily Gallivan Wrote: I support the creation of a doc. When I made Dhaval I actually had to work off an old character of mine for Mandira things because I didn't remember much about it beyond "It's the school in India."

Oh, yeah, see, I forgot we even had one in India but I still like the guruklavas better *whistles innocently*

I also LOVE the idea that magic from other areas of the world might not be based in Latin and the Wizard imperialists xD we should talk about incorporating something like that into Alfred and Paul's backstory because that's too cool
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Ellory Pendergast
    (09-30-2017, 12:01 PM)Ophelia Dippet Wrote:
    (09-30-2017, 10:36 AM)Cecily Gallivan Wrote: I support the creation of a doc. When I made Dhaval I actually had to work off an old character of mine for Mandira things because I didn't remember much about it beyond "It's the school in India."

Oh, yeah, see, I forgot we even had one in India but I still like the guruklavas better *whistles innocently*

I also LOVE the idea that magic from other areas of the world might not be based in Latin and the Wizard imperialists xD we should talk about incorporating something like that into Alfred and Paul's backstory because that's too cool

They can find some wizard tribesmen and be all White Saviour to them
    *casually slides over a few links*

PMG information station from back in 2015
    Information on the schools we decided on

Just in case these could prove helpful in the meantime!
    [-] The following 2 users Like Annabelle Scrimgeour's post:
       Odira Potter, Ophelia Dippet

Just noticed the "students from China couldn't attend Mahoutokoro because Japan wasn't opened to the world until 1867" argument and wanted to just mention how the magical communities of different countries and the relations between their wizarding governing bodies does not necessarily always reflect their non-magical counterpart, so if Muggle Japan did not "open to the world until 1768". wizarding Japan certainly could have.
    Not my theory but def one I thought was accurate that there wouldn't have been many/any Irish in Hogwarts
    until after 1921 because there were bans on educating Irish people under British rule

There would have had a magical school that had been founded by queen Maeve in Ireland - probably either in Tara, Newgrange or in co. Kerry- since Kerry seems to have a large magical presence in the HPverse (Kenmare Kestrals, Illvermorny founder is from there etc) - Dunno why there is nothing in Kerry, or maybe thats what they want you to think! :O
    [Image: mzYDJY.jpg]
    Thanks to Emma for banner recovery!! She found it in the depths of the interwebs
    (10-01-2017, 05:42 AM)Adalbert Waffling! Wrote: Just noticed the "students from China couldn't attend Mahoutokoro because Japan wasn't opened to the world until 1867" argument and wanted to just mention how the magical communities of different countries and the relations between their wizarding governing bodies does not necessarily always reflect their non-magical counterpart, so if Muggle Japan did not "open to the world until 1768". wizarding Japan certainly could have.

In the absence of magical canon, we follow muggle :)

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    (10-01-2017, 06:21 AM)Aeror Wrote: Not my theory but def one I thought was accurate that there wouldn't have been many/any Irish in Hogwarts
    until after 1921 because there were bans on educating Irish people under British rule

There would have had a magical school that had been founded by queen Maeve in Ireland - probably either in Tara, Newgrange or in co. Kerry- since Kerry seems to have a large magical presence in the HPverse (Kenmare Kestrals, Illvermorny founder is from there etc) - Dunno why there is nothing in Kerry, or maybe thats what they want you to think! :O

I think the problem with this is that we've already had plenty of Irish people attend Hogwarts IC and it would be a serious pain to enforce that now while we've already had those graduates.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Annabelle Scrimgeour's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Sappho Hartwright

We have magical canon. In the Muggle world, the Republic of Ireland are a sovereign nation, while the northeast corner is home to Northern Ireland, is part of the United Kingdom. Yet, there are no Irish Ministry of Magic presented in canon. Likewise, as Pottermore has told us when it came to measurements: "Just as British witches and wizards do not use electricity or computers, they have never turned metric. They are not governed by the decisions of the Muggle government, so when the process of metrication (switching to metric measurements) began in 1965, witches and wizards simply ignored the change."

My emphasis, obviously. But I think it's a valid point, nonetheless. As such, I'd say it'd make perfect sense for a magical community to largely ignore inconvenient decisions of the non-magical government lest that course of action either could or would result in violating the Statute of Secrecy or the Ministry of Magic in their respective country has a good reason to decide otherwise. Unless, of course, you were speaking of the country of Japan specifically?
    I don't really see why Chinese people being unable to attend Mahoutokoro even IS an issue, seeing that they are two different cultures with different languages anyway?

I'm personally in favour of following muggle canon in those instances. After all, even if the muggle and wizard communities are two different entities, people still live in their respective countries. There's still a level of patriotism. Maybe wizards would ignore what iPhone is out at any given time, but they WOULD be aware of idk, England Exiting the EU etc.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Odira Potter
    (10-01-2017, 09:00 AM)Annabelle Scrimgeour Wrote:
    (10-01-2017, 06:21 AM)Aeror Wrote: Not my theory but def one I thought was accurate that there wouldn't have been many/any Irish in Hogwarts

I think the problem with this is that we've already had plenty of Irish people attend Hogwarts IC and it would be a serious pain to enforce that now while we've already had those graduates.

Oh i agree, it would be waaay too retcon at this stage, I think more that the smaller parochial schools being a thing.
    [Image: mzYDJY.jpg]
    Thanks to Emma for banner recovery!! She found it in the depths of the interwebs
    What difference does it make to witches and wizards if Muggles aren't part of a Muggle collective?

As for China and Japan - I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I fail to see how their difference in language and culture is an issue. Marginally, national magical communities are so small that broadly speaking, them keeping in touch across boarders is like two large towns keeping in touch, if we say the figurative country in which these 'towns' exist is the "international worldwide wizarding world". I mean...

We saw in Fantastic Beasts that all the attending members of the International Confederation of Wizards who spoke during the emergency meeting was well-versed in the English language. During the fourth book, Robertson, the Muggle man working on the campsite, noted that it seemed people from all over the world came together, and every one knew each other somehow, speaking for how small and closely knit together magical communities are thanks to magical communication, magical transportation and Quidditch... Then again, I am not saying we shouldn't follow Muggle canon under any circumstances. Just pointing out that the canonical fact that wizardkind, being governed by their own authorities and not those of Muggles, can often rather easily choose to ignore inconvenient non-magical legislation or political struggles. Which is a useful tool in explaining away, for example, how the board already can have Irish witches and wizards attend Hogwarts, no questions asked. And that tool can be used in other settings too.

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.