Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
Character faces can be temporarily locked. You can "immortalize" yours for 3 months at 75 posts, and 6 months at 200! — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Julius Scrimgeour for Bella Scrimgeour.
The answer to the question "What happens when your family's reputation is a disaster?"
Her niece's humility was an admirable thing and had the added advantage of leaving Temperance feeling as though she was constantly rendering Blythe dumb with her words of wisdom and encouragement.Temperance Fairchild in Messiah
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Post at least once with the same character every day for a month.
>
<

New Year, New Level of Awkward
Private 
January 6th, 1889 - Adlard Home, Bartonburg
@Percival Adlard Jr.

So he'd been dragging his feet on this big time.

Not because he was any less sure of it, in fact he thought he was actually ready, but Quin was frankly a little terrified of Percy's reaction. This was a big difference between being good mates and asking to court one's little sister. A huge jump really.

However, he didn't want Felicity to think he'd changed his mind and so he'd arranged to meet up with Percy as casually as he could. There wasn't anything suspicious about going over to have a drink or two to begin with, but it was a matter of bringing up the whole thing that left him puzzled. Maybe there'd be an opening somehow...

"How's the job treating you these days?" Quin asked over his glass, trying to act normal, but not quite as relaxed as he would have been. Hopefully he just looked more distracted than usual?

“If you be my soft and sweet,
I'll be your strong and steady.”

deep quote code by Soph ♥
The holidays had passed with the usual fanfare and hubbub that accompanied it. After all the excitement Percy was quite content to sit down and enjoy a drink with his best mate after work on a Monday.

Ah, same as ever. Winter always seems a bit quieter with people keeping indoors more.” Percy shrugged. Despite what he said he really was enjoying the new position and happy to have had a chance at the new job duties. It was a bit more paperwork but with the cane and the whole ordeal this summer, Percy was surprised to realize he didn’t mind.

How is the shop?” Thank goodness that Quin had been able to rebuild the store. It had done little to assuage the guilt Percy had over the whole thing in the first place but it did help. Although he had to admit, the house was a bit quiet with Quin back at his own place.

Wonderful set is a work of art from Lynn!
Where he usually would have sat back, relaxed, Quin was positioned forward, elbows resting on his knees as he cradled his glass in his hands between them. He was terrible at appearing anything other than what he felt, which was anxious as hell right about now, thought hopefully Percy would write it off as being the loon that he usually was. It wasn’t like Quin was very good at sitting still for very long anyway.

"Can’t complain, made some aesthetic changes, thanks to Felicity," Was that too obvious? "But things seem to be running smoothly. Business is booming, that’s for sure. Thank Merlin we were able to reopen before Christmas, those sales really boosted us back." Things really were going well professionally, it was in his personal life that he was floundering- as usual. He had to wonder if that would continue to be the case or if he could somehow convince Percy that he wasn’t totally wrong for his little sister.

After years of drinking with Quin it was odd that the man didn’t just lean back and enjoy his drink. He looked ready to jump up and start a million things. Like he had before exams in school. Probably had been a busy day at the shop and Quin wasn’t known for settling down after moving all day.

Ah, Felicity mentioned she had offered to help. I should stop by and see the changes.” Percy may have been avoiding it. For a variety of reasons, but namely that it had even needed to be done at all. “I can imagine. I’m glad it’s been so busy.” Besides, the town did love its sweets and the fact that Quin had been shut down likely made it more of a novelty now.

Apparently Quin was not obvious enough. That was a first. He swirled his drink in hand, still antsy, still poised to say something and defend what he wanted to say; if he could just get the words out. "Speaking of Felicity," Quin started, trying to formulate sentences from the jumbled thoughts in his head. "We've uh, been spending quite a bit of time together." For one reason or another. Helping with the shop, getting a little improperly close in the kitchen...

Nope, Percy did not need to know that last part, but Quin struggled about how to go around it all without sounding like a lecherous idiot, especially considering her fiance hadn't been gone that long. Fuck he was terrible at this. Taking a large swig of his glass, Quin scratched the back of his head idly still unsure of how to really go about this. "She seems to be handling What's-His-Face's death alright..?" Fuuuuuck.

Quin’s words caused Percy to stop and look at Quin more closely. Spending time together… It took a moment for the words to register. It had been years since Percy had considered his friends in any relation other than extended brothers to his sisters. At one point he had once thought that Quin might fancy Cat, but it had appeared to be nothing more than a passing thought in Percy’s own mind that hadn’t even occurred to Quin and one that Percy had been more than happy not to bring up. Now that such a subject had landed in Percy’s lap he found himself uttering “Oh?” As if only mildly curious. Really he wasn’t sure what exactly Quin meant. Or rather, wasn’t letting himself realize it.

The reminder of Lissy’s fiance reminded Percy of a conversation they had had after Percy found her passed out after drinking with Quin. It dawned on him, what he should have seen since then. What he should have asked Quin, or hell even Lissy. “Yes. She does.” Percy said cautiously, his tone holding a hint of warning. He certainly wasn’t going to make this easy on Quin.

Quin felt the hair on the back of his neck bristle a little, as if he were a cat caught doing something he shouldn't, but maybe it meant Percy was starting to catch on? There was something in his mate's tone... Merlin's beard he could only hope so. That not-as-casual tone was doing nothing to keep Quin from coming apart at the seams though. He'd really like to smack himself into action, but hadn't any idea on how to do that without... physically slapping himself, which probably wasn't the best impression to give here. Then again he and Percy had shared a dorm room for a long, long time, the bloke knew everything about Quin there was to know, except...

"Look, mate, I have zero idea how to bring this up," He started, figuring that he was just going to have to be plain old honest about it. That had to be the best route. "I may be an idiot for taking this long to realize some things, but there's something uh..." Why could he not just up and out with this? "There's some mutual feelings between us, we thought you should be aware of, but I also thought I should speak with you first." That was the right thing to do, he was  convinced.

Mutual feelings? Percy stared at his friend in shock. Surely this was a joke, something to try and get him out of his slump that Lissy was always going on about. But the look on Quin's face, the words of Lissy ringing in his ears. No, this was something more. Tell him first, mutual feelings he should be aware of. Fragments of the words were slipping into his mind, small connections being made, but not the whole thing.

Percy was quiet, staring at Quin, trying to take it all in. "When? When did you realize this?" It rather sounded as if Percy were being told after the fact. He had expected better of Quin. Had expected that if any interest in his sisters would come about the man would at least have the decency to tell him before his sister, or at least before any actions or conversations had taken place.

Well wasn't that the exact question that would make him look like the biggest idiot or possibly the world's worst procrastinator. Neither were going to make this any better.

"Mid-summer," Best keep up the honesty. "Poor timing, I know" The shop, Felicity's former fiance's death, nothing had been good about the timing. "Haven't done anything else about it, but spend a little time getting the shop up and running again." For which he was extremely thankful. Also not entirely honest either, but Quin would like to leave this conversation alive. Percy may now walk with a limp but Quin did not believe for a second it impeded his friend's ability to murder him in an instant.

Of course Felicity's official mourning period had been taken into consideration and Quin had been supremely tied up with getting the shop up and running and then bouncing back for the holidays, making up for lost revenue. However, despite those somewhat legitimate excuses, none of them were really good enough reasons to have waited so long and Quin was starting to get that impression from his friend...

@Percival Adlard Jr.