Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
The Language of the Flowers was a popular method to express feelings where words might be improper, but did you know other means of doing so? Some ladies used their parasols, as well as their fans, gloves, and hankies to flirt with a gentleman (or alternatively, tell them to shove it!). — Bree ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Questionable Friend/Crush for Philip Aymslowe.
When your mum thinks you're gay for your best friend (but you probably are)
This boy, then. He wasn't new. Wasn't one of the worst people in the common room, those rotten rich boys - like Mr. Jailkeeper - who could not fathom a world beyond their own farts. Was a good working class lad, so he'd heard. Had a bit of a weird looking face, and a bit of a weird thing for preaching. Still.Aubrey Davis in The Under-Sofa
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Post 3+ times in three or more class threads during the course of a school year. Must all be done with the same character, be they a professor, student, or school portrait or ghost!
>
<

New Year, New Level of Awkward
Private 
January 6th, 1889 - Adlard Home, Bartonburg
@Percival Adlard Jr.

So he'd been dragging his feet on this big time.

Not because he was any less sure of it, in fact he thought he was actually ready, but Quin was frankly a little terrified of Percy's reaction. This was a big difference between being good mates and asking to court one's little sister. A huge jump really.

However, he didn't want Felicity to think he'd changed his mind and so he'd arranged to meet up with Percy as casually as he could. There wasn't anything suspicious about going over to have a drink or two to begin with, but it was a matter of bringing up the whole thing that left him puzzled. Maybe there'd be an opening somehow...

"How's the job treating you these days?" Quin asked over his glass, trying to act normal, but not quite as relaxed as he would have been. Hopefully he just looked more distracted than usual?

“If you be my soft and sweet,
I'll be your strong and steady.”

deep quote code by Soph ♥
The holidays had passed with the usual fanfare and hubbub that accompanied it. After all the excitement Percy was quite content to sit down and enjoy a drink with his best mate after work on a Monday.

Ah, same as ever. Winter always seems a bit quieter with people keeping indoors more.” Percy shrugged. Despite what he said he really was enjoying the new position and happy to have had a chance at the new job duties. It was a bit more paperwork but with the cane and the whole ordeal this summer, Percy was surprised to realize he didn’t mind.

How is the shop?” Thank goodness that Quin had been able to rebuild the store. It had done little to assuage the guilt Percy had over the whole thing in the first place but it did help. Although he had to admit, the house was a bit quiet with Quin back at his own place.

Wonderful set is a work of art from Lynn!
Where he usually would have sat back, relaxed, Quin was positioned forward, elbows resting on his knees as he cradled his glass in his hands between them. He was terrible at appearing anything other than what he felt, which was anxious as hell right about now, thought hopefully Percy would write it off as being the loon that he usually was. It wasn’t like Quin was very good at sitting still for very long anyway.

"Can’t complain, made some aesthetic changes, thanks to Felicity," Was that too obvious? "But things seem to be running smoothly. Business is booming, that’s for sure. Thank Merlin we were able to reopen before Christmas, those sales really boosted us back." Things really were going well professionally, it was in his personal life that he was floundering- as usual. He had to wonder if that would continue to be the case or if he could somehow convince Percy that he wasn’t totally wrong for his little sister.

After years of drinking with Quin it was odd that the man didn’t just lean back and enjoy his drink. He looked ready to jump up and start a million things. Like he had before exams in school. Probably had been a busy day at the shop and Quin wasn’t known for settling down after moving all day.

Ah, Felicity mentioned she had offered to help. I should stop by and see the changes.” Percy may have been avoiding it. For a variety of reasons, but namely that it had even needed to be done at all. “I can imagine. I’m glad it’s been so busy.” Besides, the town did love its sweets and the fact that Quin had been shut down likely made it more of a novelty now.

Apparently Quin was not obvious enough. That was a first. He swirled his drink in hand, still antsy, still poised to say something and defend what he wanted to say; if he could just get the words out. "Speaking of Felicity," Quin started, trying to formulate sentences from the jumbled thoughts in his head. "We've uh, been spending quite a bit of time together." For one reason or another. Helping with the shop, getting a little improperly close in the kitchen...

Nope, Percy did not need to know that last part, but Quin struggled about how to go around it all without sounding like a lecherous idiot, especially considering her fiance hadn't been gone that long. Fuck he was terrible at this. Taking a large swig of his glass, Quin scratched the back of his head idly still unsure of how to really go about this. "She seems to be handling What's-His-Face's death alright..?" Fuuuuuck.

Quin’s words caused Percy to stop and look at Quin more closely. Spending time together… It took a moment for the words to register. It had been years since Percy had considered his friends in any relation other than extended brothers to his sisters. At one point he had once thought that Quin might fancy Cat, but it had appeared to be nothing more than a passing thought in Percy’s own mind that hadn’t even occurred to Quin and one that Percy had been more than happy not to bring up. Now that such a subject had landed in Percy’s lap he found himself uttering “Oh?” As if only mildly curious. Really he wasn’t sure what exactly Quin meant. Or rather, wasn’t letting himself realize it.

The reminder of Lissy’s fiance reminded Percy of a conversation they had had after Percy found her passed out after drinking with Quin. It dawned on him, what he should have seen since then. What he should have asked Quin, or hell even Lissy. “Yes. She does.” Percy said cautiously, his tone holding a hint of warning. He certainly wasn’t going to make this easy on Quin.