Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    09.24 A wild election deadline appears!
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!

Freakin' Me Out
    Private Thread 
    Hiding away under covers
    Wasting away in the suburbs

An excursion to the Crowdy Memorial Library was welcome in that it broke the monotony. Cash wasn't entirely sure what Ellory wanted to do here, but it got him out of the house, away from the study and away from his father, away from Belphoebe, away.

It was raining outside. Not the usual sort of drizzle, but dreary pouring rain, that was crowding the streets with puddles and ensuring that everyone rushed everywhere. Usually Cash meandered from the Lestrange house to Crowdy, but today they had hurried through the streets before giving up and apparating to the front of the building - Aunt Kath and Ellory separately from Cash himself.

Cash closed the umbrella as they stepped into the library, and turned to Ellory and Kath, although his question was entirely directed for Ellory. "What now?" he asked. He ran his thumb over the back of his watch in his pocket, searching for a scratch mark that wasn't there. "Transfiguration, right?"

Cash had never been good at Transfiguration. It was one of his many failings as a son, but he could surely find something to read while Ellory did her research. He knew what he wanted, but it was impossible. And besides -

"You already speak to the dead." 
    @Ellory Pendergast
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    Ellory was slowly organizing her animagus studies. She now hit up certain textbooks when she went to Crowdy library, rather than wander aimlessly through the section. It helped that she had Elsie Beauregard as a 'comrade' in this task. The older Gryffindor was much more clever and academically inclined than Ellory and she had helped her locate the books she would need.

She had dragged Cash to the library after noticing a drop of mood in their fireskype sessions. Since childhood, Ellory had felt like she was in charge of cheering people up and that was what she hoped to accomplish that day.

"That can wait," Ellory replied. "I was thinking we could play around with the special books?" Crowdy library had a whole section of them - 'living' books and screaming books and the like.
    "That sounds good," Cash said mildly. He didn't really care what they did, as long as it was an approved outing that got him out of Lucius' house... But the special books were interesting. They were, he thought, the sort of thing that Eli would have liked.

Something had happened with Eli in the library, but he couldn't quite remember what. "What are you doing in the library? I thought you'd just buy books."

Cash blinked. Leave me alone. Just leave me alone.

"I'm not sure where the section is, though - lead the way?"
    set by MJ!

Ellory gave her cousin a smile and then lead him and their aunt to the special books section.

They were halfway through the children's section - the one before the special books one - when a particular tome left on one of the tables caught her eye.

"Oh my goood!" Ellory gushed. She grabbed her cousin's arm - or more like aggressively squeezed - and pointed at the table. "It's Auror Goodfellow and the Vanishing Closet! Caaash!"
    Cash, lost in thought again, was startled as soon as Ellory squealed and squeezed his arm. He whirled towards the direction she pointed in and couldn't help but smile when he saw the book. "Oh!" Cash said, "We haven't seen that book in ages, that's spectacular."

They'd read it as tiny children; the family outcasts, who did not quite fit in and were too enthusiastic. Auror Goodfellow was also too enthusiastic - and he was clever, too, the sort of auror who solved the cases no one else could handle.

Or at least that's what he was like in the book.

"We should look at it."
    set by MJ!

Even if Cash was dead-set against checking Auror Goodfellow out, Ellory would have forced him into it.

The two of them sat down, close to each other and Ellory opened the book. The good thing about it was that it was written for really young children, so each page contained only a paragraph written in a large font, underneath a moving drawing.

"Oh, Cash!" Ellory gushed. "Remember when we were planning to become aurors?" Merlin, she'd forgotten about that. Now, it all came rushing to her. Memories of her and Cash playing 'aurors'. Her being excited about going to Hogwarts so she could learn all the cool spells Auror Goodfellow used. Dreams of becoming a hero just like him. What had happened between then and now? She had been more passionate and excited and ambitious about her future when she was a child than she was now.
    Cash sat with one arm wrapped around his middle as they flipped through the book. He remembered sitting on the library floor in Fort Lestrange with Ellory, meandering through Auror Goodfellow books and chatting eagerly about all the adventures they were going to have.

Sometimes, Cash thought, it was a wonder that he hadn't ended up in Gryffindor like her. But then, he was a coward, or he would not have been in the untenable situation he was lodged in now.

"We were going to solve all the best cases," Cash said with a genuine smile, "All the multi-murderers of the wizarding world." 
    set by MJ!

Ellory grinned. Thinking back to those days brought a warm, fuzzy feeling to her, but it also made her sad.

"Do you think we would have been good aurors?" Ellory asked and her voice had a tinge of algos. "We make a good team," she noted and bumped her side at his.
    Ellory's hip-bump startled Cash into a laugh. He nudged her with his elbow. "We wouldn't be bad," he admitted, "You'd do the Transfiguration, I'd do the offensive magic." 
    set by MJ!

Ellory laughed as well. "Aurors Pendergast and Lestrange. Criminals wouldn't even dare doing anything criminal so they wouldn't have to face us!"

Her mirth lasted only momentarily before her low self-esteem made a comeback. "I wish that I had done that. Become an auror. Or something. Instead of this sorry attempt of being a debutante." She gave Cash a sad half smile.
    "You're a perfectly alright debutante, thank you," Cash said, wrinkling his nose at Ellory, "You've made a better stab at it then I could have, at least." Joking around was better than being bummed about how miserable they were now, he thought.
    set by MJ!

Ellory let Cash's comment sink in, before she was hit by the hypothetical imagery and began to laugh. Hysterically. "Oh Merlin," Ellory made, gasping for air. "Imagine - you - in a dress." She let her laughter overcome her, before saying: "You'd be such an ugly girl." She looked at her cousin, before laughing again. "Imagine you with hair." Hair being girly, long hair.