Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    09.24 A wild election deadline appears!
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!

good luck with that debutante shit BECAUSE I'M FREE
    11 September, 1887
    Dearest Regina,
    I'm writing to inform you that I will no longer be residing with my parents. I have left on my own accord without their permission, and I am now living with Clara and her grandparents. I think my time as a debutante is over; I am now free to pursue whatever dreams I might have, which means my time will now be focused on fulfilling my desires than securing a husband! Granted that I do wish to find a husband at some point, but it's not required to be a healer now!
    — Bella —

@Regina Lacey

Bella was publicly disowned on September 11, 1887 after running away from home and currently lives with Coraline Cattermole in Southampton.

September 13, 1887
    Bella,
    You've... you've left? You're free from your parents? I must be honest, I am shocked. But, I am very happy for you. Please, stay safe. And write me often? It's bad enough that I feel like a caged bird, I don't wish to loose one of my friends completely. I'm sure you've never told your parents about me, yes? Even if you have, even if they ask me where you are, I wouldn't tell. You're my friend.

Where do you work? I assume, with how smart and determined you are, that you've already found a job. How is it, freedom? Is it as happy as you had hoped? I hope so. I wonder if I shall be as happy when I finally get my freedom. Till then, I shall remember that my friend is happy, and that brings me happiness itself.
    Best Wishes,
    Regina
    Set created by me! Check out more at my graphics shop!
    [Image: kPMXDSs.jpg]
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers[Image: nqi.gif]
    [Image: iZFaFHs.gif]
    14 September, 1887
    Regina,
    Mother and father do not know much of you, so I do not fear revealing information to you that I might otherwise not send. Much of my time has been spent physically hiding from society and avoiding my father's tracking. My sister has contacted me in secret and has spoken of the anger my father is feeling — I surely do not want to be on the receiving end of his rage by getting caught!

I've found a job at St. Mungo's — albeit as a Welcome Witch for the time being — and I'm hoping from there my future will begin to fall into place. Clara's home is serving as protection from the elements and my parents, but I cannot help but fear that my sister will be receiving the wrath that I deserved.
    — Miss Annabelle Scrimgeour —

Bella was publicly disowned on September 11, 1887 after running away from home and currently lives with Coraline Cattermole in Southampton.

September 15, 1887
    Bella,
    I do not wish for you to get caught. I hope that you remain safe. How is everything at Clara's? Tell her that I say hello please?

How is work? What's it like? Do you enjoy it? I'm sure you've gotten to meet people that your parents would have never let you talk to. It must be exciting.
    Best Wishes,
    Regina
    September 24, 1887
    B,
    I took your advise. I left. At least, temporarily. I don't have a place to stay long term for this to be permanent, so for the time being, I am on a real search for a husband. Without my uncle hovering over me at all times. I don't know if I shall be successful, or if I'll find a permanent place to stay instead, but I do wish to find some way out of my situation without him finding me. This owl is different than my own, so I do not know if it shall find you. Until I have made some progress, I shall not be signing my name on these letters, or yours.
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    26 September, 1887
    R,
    Forgive me for not writing back sooner. I'm afraid I've taken more time than I'd like to adjust to my new life away from home. Despite never feeling safe at home, I never realized how safe my bedroom felt until I was situated in a brand new one.

Please do let me know that you're safe! Who are you currently staying with? I do wish you could come stay with Clara and myself; however, I don't believe Mr. and Mrs. Whitledge wish to make their home a foster home for displaced debutantes!
    — Bella —

September 27, 1887
    B,
    I am glad that I got your letter. I had moved to another location. Though I trust you, my uncle works in the Ministry, I wouldn't be surprised if he was keeping some eye out on the owls through some kind of connections. I shall inform you with much more information after my little adventure. This new place makes me feel as though I'll be staying less time than the one before. Tension is obvious in this family, and I do not wish to put too much more on their shoulders.

It is a fine idea to stay with you, it would surely be fun. However, I agree with the thought that they wouldn't want to take in another wandering debutant. I will mention that my last visit was with a former Slytherin. Surprising how those from our rival house could be so friendly at times. It was a fun stay, in my opinion. And so far, my current host is a former Ravenclaw. Nice girl, though the tension between her and her mother is rather uncomforting.
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    28 September, 1887
    R,
    I can promise you that the Spirit Division does not keep tabs on the owl population. I'm not even sure how the Ministry would monitor owls seeing as they can go directly from one place or another! Hopefully I won't be the one to give them the idea of requiring owls to go through a checkpoint before reaching their destination.

Slytherins are not all that terrible; my own twin sister was one! Though I must admit, she isn't the type of girl I would've chosen to befriend if I shared no relation with her! Please do be careful and make sure that your hosts are discreet. You wouldn't want one of them to go gossiping about the runaway debutante they're housing!
    — Miss Annabelle Scrimgeour —

September 27, 1887
    B,
    You'd be surprised at how determined that man seems to be. However, you do have a point. My first stop was with Miss Lily Huddleston. She was very happy to see me. Then I stopped by at Miss Avril Lukeson's home, did you hear, her mother pulled her out of school? I'm guessing that it was what caused so much tension between the two.

Yes, Slytherins are much different than most make them out to be. And my hosts don't believe that I have run away. My excuse has been that due to lack of socialness over summer, I simply had to see them and say hello, and felt that staying a few nights was the proper way to spend time with them. Not really a lie, for I do wish to spend time with those I visit. It's nice when I get to have more interacting with people.
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    29 September, 1887
    R,
    Oh dear, please do be careful! I would not lie to anyone who hosts me; it could only cause more trouble in the end. You do not wish your guardian to place the blame on your kind hosts if he were to discover where you were hiding, nor do you wish for your hosts to believe you a cunning liar if they were to discover your true intentions. That would not at all help you secure a husband.

My number one rule is to not be a burden. If you see your presence is causing harm to the ever-so-kind family who agreed to take you in, please do leave at once. Your drama should never become their drama. Perhaps a friend with a country home would be the best person to stay with — you could successfully remain hidden from your guardian without intruding on the lives of others. Country homes are rather large, and many of them come with plenty of places to hide and explore!
    — Bella —

September 27, 1887
    B,
    To be fair, it's not truly a lie. I am there to visit. I do miss them, and wish to spend time with them and say hi. I believe that even my uncle does not wish for it to get around that he refuses to let me act like a real debutant. What would that say about him? If anyone truly puts the pieces together, I'm sure that my full explanation will raise some eyebrows at him, rather than me.

I don't believe that I know of anyone who primarily lives in a country home, aside from Clara. But, we both agree that it wouldn't be the best idea for me to go there. Besides, I'm trying to get chaperoned to parties, and it's hard to do that in the country.

If only he wouldn't have looked into the old family estate, as I'm sure he has. It would have been nice to ask someone to chaperone me there, and I can visit the home that I loved to visit during summers as a child. That would be lovely. I don't get to visit it at all anymore. I was hoping that once married, I could ask my husband if we could move there. So many fond memories of my father were there. I don't remember my mother that well, however. Perhaps going there at some point will help me do so.
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    29 September, 1887
    R,
    Oh, but it is a lie! You may not be speaking dishonestly when you say you're there to visit, but you are surely lying about your intentions! You surely know better than to lead your own friends to believe you're off doing one thing, when you are in fact doing another. I would tell them straight away what your intentions are; you never know, they may be willing to allow you a longer stay.

I keep forgetting that you're actually one of those women who wants to attend parties. I've found that work is one of the best place to meet gentleman, since men primarily make up for the workforce. I'm much less likely to make a fool of myself waving hello to someone than if I was forced to dance with them!

Whatever you do, please be careful Oh, and keep me updated!
    — Bella —

October 2, 1887
    B,
    You're right. I mentioned it to Aamiya when I went to her home. I forgot that she is married to a candidate for Minister. Did you know? He's actually really nice, and clearly adores her. Oh, I'd love a love like that.

It is not a shameful act to like parties, nor is it shameful that you don't. I don't feel confident with the path of careers. Though, my grades seem to be very qualifying if I chose to go through that path. Do you think I would be able to convince my uncle of such things?
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    04 October, 1887
    R,
    How does one casually forget that their friend's husband is a candidate for Minister? If I were permitted to vote, my support would be directed to Mr. Justin Ross. Not only does he have the ideal experience, but his values align with mine. Sadly, it's "inappropriate" for women like me to participate in politics. It's funny how women like Mrs. Josephina Flint and Mrs. Astrid Parkinson are welcomed to the political scene, but other young ladies are shoved away, isn't it? It's completely unfair, I say!

I think there's a correct and incorrect way to balance your femininity with a career. For instance, an auror or quidditch player would be completely inappropriate for a woman of our status, no matter how many qualifications we possess! A healer is an appropriate career for an upper class lady, hence why I have begun pursuing such a career path. If I ever manage to catch a man's attention, I do hope he has no issues with the idea of a working wife! Have you ever considered a career? What path would you take? You never seemed like the working sort to me.
    — Bella —

Sent early in the morning, before her uncle arrives.

October 5, 1887
    B,
    I believe that I have mentioned that I've barely had interaction with most in society. It's hard to keep track of who marries who now. I just call her Aamiya, I will possibly accidently call her by her maiden name if asked to address her as anything besides her first name. At least you had been given at least some chance to speak to friends outside of letters.

It's not a question of femininity, but rather if I have the skills. Book work and classes are a whole other matter than that of actual work. I am not a man, therefor not expected to work anyway. Besides, I wish to be very present in the raising of my children, should I have any. I lost my parents much too early in my life, I did care for them so much. I want to be a mother that my children would be glad to be around, not uncomfortable and feeling as alone as I do now. A job might make that more difficult. If I love a job too much, that would be unfair to them. I know I have none, but it is something that stays constant in my mind.
    Wish Me Luck,
    R
    06 October, 1887
    R,
    Don't be silly! If you wish to find a husband, working should be a matter of protecting your femininity. There is a reason Miss Connolly — you know, the auror woman — is a spinster living at home! Men don't want to marry women who have rough, dirty, unfeminine jobs. The one "dirty" job that I can see a woman doing is a herbologist, and only because plants and flowers are seen as inherently feminine by the eyes of society.

Do not go into a job at least until you get married and at least until your husband approves. The only reason I don't worry is that a man would have to be insane to wish to marry me as I am now, so there's no reason to worry about what he might think of me as a healer! Save yourself so you don't end up like me.

While your job is technically to deal with the children, remember that nannies and the like exist for that purpose. I couldn't imagine myself with an infant in my arms all day no matter how much I love my children. Not that I have to worry about that right now; I don't think any man will be asking to court me anytime soon.
    — Bella —

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Good Luck in Hell Annabelle Scrimgeour 6 231 09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour
      A Free Pass Nikolai Sleptov 0 87 09-12-2017, 11:43 AM
    Last Post: Nikolai Sleptov
      For "Good Luck" Reuben Crouch 1 114 09-10-2017, 10:14 AM
    Last Post: Roman Crouch
      Always the good ones Evelyn Tilney 4 156 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM
    Last Post: Topaz Urquart
      Good Grief! Annabelle Scrimgeour 6 263 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM
    Last Post: Annabelle Scrimgeour