Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!
    09.02 The AC is underway, and the results are in for Camp Charming...
    09.01 September ahoy! A new school year, new skins, and elections!
    08.27 Upcoming AC and Wizengamot tweak
    08.21 So you want to be a Student Club President?
    08.08 We have two PW winners for July: Soph and Beanie!
    08.07 SWP7 update for those working/in Hogsmeade
    08.05 Hogwarts updates have begun! Also, the AC is underway.

Detained
    Wednesday, September 13th
    Two young, well-bred ladies had been the first to receive a detention from the Russian professor that year. Frankly, Nikolai would not have believed it had he not seen their ridiculous display firsthand! Nikolai Sleptov was the sort of professor to quash such behaviour very early on, and it was his hope that the young witches would be so distressed by the end of their detention that they would think twice before behaving rashly in future.

He did not relish the early hour, but thought it an easy way to crush their spirits.
    @Meta Lestrange @Holly Scrimgeour
    Word Count: 152 | Date: September 13, 1887

Holly was sorry that she had gotten detention, but she was not at all sorry for putting on her violent display in Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Despite whether or not her professor had asked her to be on the offense, she had definitely shown him that she was capable of it. She figured that he'd eventually come around to liking her — besides, first impressions didn't really last forever, especially when talking about a student as bright as herself!

Holly found herself sitting alongside the Gryffindor girl, Miss Lestrange. She thought the other girl was a bit brash, though she guessed she wasn't one who could judge at the moment. They'd both made the same so-called 'mistake', though Miss Lestrange had decided to set a girl on fire.

She waited silently for her professor to speak, knowing better than to demand to know what they do to right their supposed wrong.
    Like many of the governesses to have reprimanded Meta Lestrange in the past, Nikolai Sleptov had overreacted. So what if she had attempted an offensive spell on her classmate? One, it hadn't worked, so no big deal. Two, this was DADA, weren't they supposed to learn how to fight? Being laughed at was a good reason to fight someone, in Meta's opinion. That Slytherin girl had disrespected her!

"Good morning," Meta greeted in a tone all attitude when she arrived at the meeting place Professor Sleptov had set for them. Whatever he had in store for them, she wasn't scared!
    [Image: 5jExnM9.png]
    set by rune <3

[Image: 1717216eWDA694X_zps11f69083.jpg]
    “Good morning to you both,” Nikolai greeted after casting a warning glance towards the brash young Gryffindor. “I hope ardently that this is your first detention. As such, I find it necessary to inform you that any and all manners of punishment, more or less, are deemed permissible by Headmaster Black and the Board of Governors. I, however, have always been a firm believer that the punishment ought to fit the crime for which it is intended in order to be meaningful.”

Also given that they were young girls from wealthy families, Nik did not consider hanging them by their thumbs in the dungeons to be a particularly prudent decision.

“You have both shown yourselves to have a dire lack of restraint but an interest in combative magic. It is my intention to give you a more appropriate outlet for that interest.”
    Word Count: 106 | Date: September 13, 1887

She felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness at her professor's words. A more suitable outlet for their interest in combative magic? He wasn't going to challenge them to a duel, was he? Oh Merlin, he'd murder them without even meaning to! Perhaps he would have them turn their attention of each other, but would that really be much of a punishment? Seneca had called her the 'little beast', and this was a beast Holly would definitely like to take a shot at!

She remained quiet for a moment, her gaze flickering between her professor and her fellow detainee. What would be in store for them?
    If professor Sleptov's words were meant to scare Meta, they'd failed. She was intrigued more than anything.

She caught Miss Scrimgeour's glance and then turned to their teacher: "Are you going to make us fight something?"
    set by rune <3

“No, Miss Lestrange, for we try to discourage violence in our pupils, particularly our well-bread young ladies,” he answered. Though Nikolai’s tone was conversational, his gaze was stern. “Your aggression—and your fire-starting skills, Miss Lestrange—will be channeled elsewhere. There are [accurate number] of fireplaces in this castle, outside of private staff quarters. The two of you are to light them all by the time your peers wake; the house elves have been instructed, today, to stand down in that regard. Should you fail to accomplish this in the…two hours or so you have, you will have to repeat tomorrow, and the next day, and so on.”
    Word Count: 90 | Date: September 13, 1887

Holly's face twisted into an expression of obvious displeasure,

"But - But sir," she said quietly, looking absolutely alarmed. "That's peasant's work! What - What if I burn myself?" Who was going to explain that to her father? "I'm not sure I know how to set things on fire — it was her who did that," she explained, tossing the Gryffindor a dirty look. That was probably far from the truth, seeing as "Incendio" wasn't the most difficult spell to cast, but she didn't want to be punished for Miss Lestrange's stupid move!
    That was the punishment? Meta had been told that punishments involved being caned or hanged by your thumbs. Or, if the professors were particularly generous, being forced to do boring servants' works. Lighting up all the fireplaces in the castles was servants' work, but it was light years better than being forced to clean up pots!

It helped that Meta liked starting fires.

The whole 'detention' also had the feeling of a challenge, what with the time limit and the stipulation.

Miss Holly Scrimgeour clearly didn't share Meta's sentiments. She rolled her eyes as she complained. "Professor Sleptov can't exactly make you paralyze people," she commented sarcastically, before turning to their teacher. "I accept your challenge. Except we can't get in the Ravenclaw or Huflepuff common rooms - unless you want us to fail."*

*Nik said private stuff quarters only so I assume that didn't include common rooms.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Meta Lestrange's post:
       Annabelle Scrimgeour
    set by rune <3