Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Issue #146 - Exclusive Interview with Justin Ross, Candidate for Minister
    [Image: m0T1Ff.png]
    Your adventure continues with a stay in the secluded Himalayan mountain range in the Kishtwar province of India! The Sweepstakes Holiday Continues to India
    After departing Beijing on something called a 'Dragon Sky Tram' (which we have been assured is entirely safe and, therefore, probably involves no actual dragons), our travel correspondents will arrive in the Kishtwar province of India and check in to the premier magical resort of Asia. The Tarjuma Karna is a combination of a spa and an educational experience through the natural world, and is purported to increase innate or latent magical ability significantly through their methods of meditation and their... exotic treatments.

The beautiful Himalayan mountains will be visible from your window in this immaculate magical resort!

Our ladies will embark on hiking trips through the mountains every morning, with a particular focus each day on magical flora of the Himalayans, animal sightings, meditation locations, or scenery, depending on the day. Following the morning exercise they will be treated to a lavishly relaxing massage before luncheon.

Your excursions through the mountains are bound to put you in contact with all sorts of exotic animals, both magical and ordinary!

In the evenings, our correspondents can choose to participate in any of a variety of treatment classes on a multitude of subjects--some teach exotic types of Eastern magics such as fung shui, while some focus on skin care regimes and other more womanly concerns. Whatever you choose to do, you are sure to return to England with an unforgettable experience unlike anything your friends have ever done!
    Lonely Hearts
    Age Before Beauty

I am an older debutante who is very pretty but very over-romantic. I recently made an embarrassing decision that accidentally saved me some trouble. I need someone who will sweep my off my feet so that I don't die alone. Dyeing alone is bad. Other qualyties include: optimist, kind, patient. Extreme Hufflepuff but in a good way. Seeking companionship, but mostly love.

Adventure Awaits

A young woman of a well known family looking for a smart man to sweep her off her feet. Intelligence and understanding a must as well as a strong and confident personality. Must be ready to put up a fight if needed when it comes to overbearing male relatives. Bonus for a love of travel. A sweet smile, brilliant mind, and darling dimples await.

Lily of the Valley

Seeking pale young girl of comfortable means and reputation for courtship. I am a handsome gentleman of thirty years or so and a stable, respectable occupation. I am also a romantic at heart and would particularly like this young angel to have a floral name such as Lily or Hyacinth, or even Foxglove. I should like her to be interested in plants of both a magical and mundane nature for I am a hobbyist herbologist.

Must Love Dogs

Eccentric first son of prestigious family looking for a wife with a mutual love for dogs, particularly those of a smaller breed. One shouldn't expect overly exhilarating conversations over mundane things unless about jewelry, watches, or dogs.

Help Me Escape

In need of a male of Upper Class and good reputation. I am a young lady looking for love, and yes, a husband. My family is a bit strange, but do not worry, as I have no plans of keeping contact once married. I am a debutant who has had little chance to go out in society, and wishes to change that. In search of a kind man, who will let me go to nice parties, and will dance with me, as well as just spend time with me.

Affable Gentleman Wanted
    In response to Eligible & Eager

I do believe that I can be quite kind and patient. I am also quite fond of dogs so that is no trouble on my end. Travelling could be an adventure we take on together should you find me suitable to be your bride. I look forward to possibly meeting you though perhaps we could start with letter writing?

Happiness is just an owl away! Send a letter in with your personal advertisement or response to have it printed in the next issue. Address your letters to: Lonely Hearts, Witch Weekly.

This is Mr. Ross' first bid for Minister of Magic, though his decision to run came as no surprise to those familiar with the inner politics of the Wizengamot.

Colleagues describe Mr. Ross as generally pleasant to work with, bringing loyalty and dedication to his position along with a very uplifting personal demeanor.

Mr. and Mrs. Ross are comfortably middle class, but despite this Mrs. Ross was the very picture of poise and grace during our brief interaction prior to the interview.

Mr. Ross made his priorities for his platform clear throughout the interview, and his ideals seem to align, more or less, with former Minister of Magic Balthazar Urquart's. This is perhaps unsurprising given the genial working relationship the two have always possessed.
    WW Exclusive: An Interview with Justin Ross, Candidate for Next Minister of Magic
    This week our reporters were able to venture into the home of Mr. Justin Ross, head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and recently announced candidate for the Minister of Magic. Mr. Ross welcomed us into the private study of his North Bartonburg home, surrounded by crowded bookcases and large windows overlooking Hogsmeade. Family photographs decorated the otherwise very businesslike interior. Although a physical imposing man, Mr. Ross was from the beginning moments of the interview exceptionally genial and often smiling. Read exerts from this Witch Weekly exclusive interview below!

Justin Ross was former Miniter Urquart's first appointment to the Wizengamot, assuming the chair in 1884.

WW: Why did you decide to run for Minister?
    "I believe that as Minister of Magic, I can help to create a strong, united magical Britain for my children and grandchildren. In this time of great division, I feel that my best opportunity to serve my country is in this position."

WW: How do you feel like your background in the DMLE has prepared you for this position?
    "The DMLE gives me experience with those from all walks of life and on both sides of the political aisle. I have also worked towards the preservation of law and order in Britain for all my life. Working within the Ministry of Magic, as done in the implementation of the Pennyworth project, will allow us to build a strong Britain for us all."

WW: What are your opinions on Minister Urquart and his policies?
    "Minister Urquart accomplished many things for magical Britain; Reconciliation and the Pennyworth Project are some of the most important political achievements we've seen in decades. He is a dedicated father, and he was an equally dedicated Minister of Magic."

Mrs. Roslyn Ross nee Fisk is the wife of DMLE Head Justin Ross and the younger sister of his campaign manager, former Undersecretary to the Minister and current head of the Improper Use of Magic office, Ellis Konstantin Fisk.

WW: Why did you choose your brother in law to run your campaign? What strengths do you expect Mr. Fisk to bring to your campaign?
    "Mr. Fisk is a devoted Ministry employee with a wealth of experience, both as Minister Urquart's Senior Assistant and in his current and former positions. He has been well-poised as an administrator and bureaucrat in departments that differ from my own, which gives him a great deal of knowledge to bring to the campaign. Mr. Fisk and I both believe that we must work for a strong, united magical Britain with a government that serves all of her citizens."

WW: What are your immediate plans if elected?
    "I would work with the Department of Magical Education to alter the half-breed ban's terms. Although the board has rights at Hogwarts, their enforcement of their ban has resulted in the expulsion of many fully-human students, many of whom are some of the most vulnerable members of our society. We cannot make Britain a better place by targeting our future: the children.

I would also seek to restore more order to our society; the riots and anti half-breed murders we face are increasing strife nationally, and we cannot be a united magical Britain while they continue."

WW: What do you think are the most important issues facing magical Britain today?
    "At this time, magical Britain is more divided than it has been in years. The issues surrounding half-breed rights and werewolves are our most pressing conflicts; and then there are the things that get left behind. We mustn't forget to continue endeavors like the Pennyworth Project, which improved people's lives, and we should not forget that - regardless of blood status - we are all citizens of magical Britain. We have to pursue solutions for us all."

We hope you've enjoyed this insight into the mind of Ministerial candidate Justin Ross. Continue to follow our election coverage during this trying political time, and as always, if you have comments or concerns regarding the topics covered, we encourage you to write in and share them with us!
    We love hearing from our readers. Letters From our Readers

This week we feature a response to Madam Flint's recent article on the Marriage Ban from Mrs. Antonia Greyback.

Dear Witch Weekly,
    I was disgusted and appalled by your recent feature of Mrs Josephina Flint, and her frankly ridiculous notions on marriage. Mrs Flint has made her opinions on halfbloods and muggleborns as frank as her opinions on halfbreeds and would tar all with the same brush. I would never seek to dictate to anyone who they should not fall in love with, but to compare part vampires, or those infected with werewolfism to dogs or horses is a disgusting analogy, but reveals the manner in which Madam Flint views all non-purebloods.

Your insistence that Madam Flint is the author of ‘several fine works, including ‘The incompatibility of the Species’, ‘Threatened from within’, and the best-selling ‘The Premises of Purity and other essays’ all such texts are utter trite! Given that the vast majority of your readership are witches of half blood, or muggle born ancestry it seems in poor taste, and indeed poor business sense to attempt to alienate your readership by indulging the pureblood fantasies of a woman who should have been resigned to the madhouse of history years ago.

It is frightening to consider in this day and age that any right thinking person could possibly fail to acknowledge the humanity of anyone who by their very name is ‘part human’ and thus through no fault of their own. I would ask all within the viewing of this letter to consider their own family, would they cease to love a child who became a werewolf, or a vampire? Would the happiness of a son or daughter with a part veela be worse than their misery or death? Madam Flint would have you believe so.

I would appeal to all right thinking women and mothers out there, to consider the feelings of your own heart, your love for your husband, your parents and your children and ask yourself would you continue to love them if suddenly found themselves infected with werewolfism. Our Ex-Minister for Magic has set a fine example with his continued love and support of his beloved child –the true and perfect example of fatherly affection and a parents unwavering love.

Please resign Madam Flints crass and ugly opinions on those she feels are lesser than herself, which is frankly everyone, to the scrap yard of history. And to Madam Flint to paraphrase a great poet:
    ‘we are a nation of saints and scholars but you have disgraced yourself again!’

With Hope and Fervour
    Mrs Antonia Greyback
    Friendship through adversity

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Issue #151 - An American For Minister? Witch Weekly 5 356 10-15-2017, 10:09 AM
    Last Post: Witch Weekly
      #147 - Exclusive Interview with Eugene Scamander! Witch Weekly 5 534 09-17-2017, 05:58 AM
      Issue #139 - Minister Abanadoned At Altar; Lovegood Opts To Die Alone Witch Weekly 5 701 07-23-2017, 06:29 AM
      Issue #105 - Interview With A Ghost! Witch Weekly 5 1,162 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
      Issue #102 - Love Match Minister! Witch Weekly 5 888 10-02-2016, 12:15 PM