Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!
    09.02 The AC is underway, and the results are in for Camp Charming...
    09.01 September ahoy! A new school year, new skins, and elections!
    08.27 Upcoming AC and Wizengamot tweak
    08.21 So you want to be a Student Club President?
    08.08 We have two PW winners for July: Soph and Beanie!
    08.07 SWP7 update for those working/in Hogsmeade
    08.05 Hogwarts updates have begun! Also, the AC is underway.

The Pack Survives

3 September, 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

How did it go? I couldn't stop thinking about you yesterday. I couldn't sleep, I was thinking about you and the transformation and all that. I suppose I was with you in spirit during all of it!

I really miss you. I wish that you were here. It's probably better that you aren't here, though. Everyone is talking about Papa. I feel that everyone is starring at me when I walk down the corridor. At least nobody has been terrible about you. A bunch of our yearmates told me to give you their greetings so, greetings from [NAMES].

Please don't lie to me and tell me that all was well. Unless you don't want to talk about it. I'm sorry if I'm not very good at picking the right words. Delight has always been the diplomat in our family.

Love,
    Ruby

@Topaz Urquart
    [Image: 6KPo4lT.png]
    3 September 1887
    Ruby,
    I was going to lie to you and tell you it went well, but since you told me not to... I don't think we should talk about it. It's happened twice and there's one more tonight and then maybe I'll be able to talk about it but [illegible smudged ink]

I'm sorry, I wanted to write back to you right away when I got your letter but I started to and then I fell asleep right at my desk and now I've got ink on my cheek and I've made a mess of this letter. I don't remember what happens in between but apparently werewolves do not take naps, and so I've been so tired...

Tell our your classmates thank you for the well wishes. I'm sorry that being back at school has been hard for you.

Love,
    Topaz
    PS: I am glad that you went to school before these started. I think it's better if you don't see it. I know you meant well by saying you were with me in spirit but I'm glad that you're not.
    Template made by The Doctor of RPG-D.  

4 September, 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

I'm here if you want to talk about it. I wish I could be of more help than that. I don't want to push you, though.

Maybe we could talk about normal things, if that would be easier for you? I'll start. I'm going to try out for the Quidditch team. I know, it sounds so silly. Me and Quidditch! Half of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team graduated or couldn't return because of the ban - I don't know. Delight needs players and she asked me to consider it so I thought to do it. I thought that would be a way to apologize for the awkward summer. You don't think she's too mad at me, do you? I was horrible to her all summer. It seems so far away now.

The first day of classes was today. We didn't do much so you don't have to feel bad about missing out yet! We mostly covered what we did last year. We'll start with the Summoning Charm. You should practice it yourself so we can see who's better at it on Christmas!

Love,
    Ruby

4 September 1887
    Ruby,
    I don't think Delight hates you! I don't think she even remember any of that business at the beginning of the summer at all, and she didn't even hate you at the time. When we had to go get candy after Papa told us he was engaged we talked about it and she was actually very... well, she agreed with us the whole time, she just didn't like the way you were being rude to Miss Lovegood. I don't think she was really very upset and I certainly don't think you need to join a Quidditch team to make it up to her. Do you even like Quidditch? I can't picture you playing. You'll write and tell me how the try-outs go, won't you? Do you think Delight will give you special preference because you're her sister?

I don't think I'm allowed to just go practicing magic whenever I like... there's still the Underage Wizarding restrictions, you know, and that didn't go away just because so many people didn't go back to Hogwarts. Papa is going to get me a tutor but we don't have one yet and I don't know what the rules will be. When we do have a tutor, I'll ask to start with that.

Love,
    Topaz

5 September, 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

Oh, that is good! I wouldn't blame her if she hated me, though. I was kind of terrible this summer. I even managed to fall out with Demelza at some point!

I hope Delight doesn't give me any special treatment because I don't really want to make the team. I will still try out because I promised and I don't want to let Delight down. I suppose it would be better for me to make the team than for her to be forced to get some tiny first year who doesn't know which is the right end of the broomstick... Of course I'll write you how the tryouts went. Even if I didn't, Delight would be sure to let you know of my epic failure and I wouldn't want for her to make me out as more terrible than I actually was!

You should practice magic anyway. It's not like we live in the middle of nowhere, so the Trace wouldn't be able to be pinned to you. I actually remember some of our History of Magic lessons! Or did you perhaps think that Miss Seneca Lestrange is naturally good at all of the hexes we learn right after we return from our holidays?

If you really want to be a law abiding citizen, though, I've sent you some of our homework to keep you busy.

Love,
    Ruby

Enclosed: 1, 2
    5 September 1887
    Ruby,
    Goodness, I hope you don't make the team if you don't want to be on it! Quidditch is very time consuming and if you don't want to do it then you won't like that at all. My roommate Citrine Weasley was a chaser last year and she barely had leisure time at all between her practices and clubs and then her homework. You have so many friends you like to hang out with all the time and if you make the team you'll have to stop seeing them so often, and you know Dezzie will take that personally and fight with you about it! That's how she is, Ruby, you can't tell her not to be upset when she's decided she's upset.

I've started going to the Irvingly school in the mornings. The children are all Muggles or squibs so we only learn Muggle subjects like maths and history (the non-magical kind) but Papa says I'll have a magical tutor soon and I'll be able to start with all the rest. I've been reading the textbooks that we bought for this school year and Papa says he'll buy me fifth year books for next year, too, so I can keep up with what's happening at Hogwarts. Thank you for the homework!

Love,
    Topaz

6th September 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

I could always just do it for this year and then drop out of the team next year. If I even make it. Maybe I'll end up loving Quidditch so much that I'll end up becoming a Harpy after Hogwarts.

I don't really care what Dezzie will think. We've not really been talking that much since we returned to Hogwarts. She's been weird and it may sound mean, but I really don't have the patience to deal with her right now. Libby Abbott has been a great friend so I prefer to stick to just her. And Delight.

Irvingly school, how nice! I bet that you're the best student already. Perhaps once you finish it you could go to one of those muggle universities. You could become a doctor. They're like healers, but the muggle version.

I don't suppose you did the Etiquette one so I can hand it in? I wouldn't ask for another class, but Etiquette is so boring.

Love,
    Ruby

6 September 1887
    Ruby,
    I am ashamed at you! You can't send me homework and then try to hand it in as yours! Even if I would let you our handwriting isn't anything alike and I'm sure they would know. Besides, they'd wonder how you'd suddenly gotten so smart.
    Topaz

[I assume they had letters until today but they weren't Important >.>]

11th September 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

I made the team!

I'm not excited.

I was dreading this, Topaz. Dreading! I had half a mind to tell Delight to not get me on the team but I didn't think I would actually get on the team because I didn't do such a great job at the tryouts! I bet I only got the spot because Delight's the captain.

Do you think I would be a horrible human being if I dropped out of the team? Scratch that, I know I can't do that, it'd be terrible. I bet there'd be some angry Hufflepuffs ready to lynch me for how ungrateful I'm being!

And I didn't even get the seeker position which I would have preferred. Libby got it, though, so I'm happy for her.

I'm probably going to get a bludger to the face on our first match and then fall off my broomstick and break both of my legs and be remembered as the worst Quidditch player in the history of Hogwarts.

Love,
    Ruby

11 September 1887
    Ruby,
    You shouldn't have tried out! Didn't I say as much in the first place? You didn't owe Delight anything for the summer, she isn't petty like Dem and she wasn't holding anything against you, honestly. Now that you're on the team, though, you can't drop off. Delight would have to hold new try-outs because her younger sister was being fickle and stupid and can you imagine how embarrassing that would be for her?

Maybe if you aren't very good you can ask Delight to get someone else for the second semester, when you come back from Christmas holiday. Maybe you can see if any of the first years are very good when they take their flying lessons. But you can't stop being on the team now because you've only just decided to think about it!

Maybe it won't be so bad. I'm sure you won't get a bludger to the face and if you do then you will have a good reason to tell Delight you want to quit.
    Topaz

12th September, 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

You're right. I was overreacting. After a night's sleep, I think I can manage. I do enjoy playing fake Quidditch in the summer, after all! I suppose I was anxious about having to play real Quidditch in front of an audience.

Anyway, enough about me! What about you? How are things on your front? Do you have many muggle friends already?

Love,
    Ruby

12 September 1887
    Ruby,
    I don't have any Muggle friends, no. There is a girl named Miss Ilkin who is our age but she is rather quiet and I haven't spoken to her much. She has a lot of younger siblings and I don't think I care for them, but maybe I'm judging them too harshly. Miss Ridley is also our age I think but she has a lot of siblings and she usually only talks to them. I've only been there a week, though, so maybe I'll make friends sometime. I don't know. The older boys are very quiet and moody and the younger children are so loud and rude and I don't know whether we'll be friends or not.

I think I'd rather talk about you, honestly. Nothing very interesting happens to me and you've got Hogwarts to talk about.
    Topaz

14 September, 1887
    My dearest Topaz,

Misses Ilkin and Ridley sound promising! You can be very quiet yourself, so they could think the same thing about you. I'm sure you'll become good friends once you get to know them better!

As for Hogwarts news. Two first years got detention after throwing tantrums at Prof. Sleptov's class. One of them is Miss Meta Lestrange, the cousin of the Miss Lestrange in our year, and she tried to set a girl on fire for turning her yellow, or something along those lines. I'm not surprised. Her uncle was a murderer. It's so unfair that they suffer no consequences for it and yet they judge you for something that isn't even your choice! You wouldn't ever set a person on fire! The other first year wasn't any better. Miss Holly Scrimgeour. She's related to the runaway deb, I think.

Oh! Your boyfriend Mr. Pine also got a detention. He was being clever in Prof. Keene's class. I couldn't get my friend who takes it to tell me what he said, but apparently it was naughty.

Love,
    Ruby

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      The Lone Wolf Dies But The Pack Survives Caspar Urquart 0 87 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM
    Last Post: Caspar Urquart