Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

The Sorting
    See Inside... Thread 
    Friday, September 1st, 1887

I sit, patched and frayed, upon a wooden stool. My leathery wrinkled eyes gaze out at the latest batch of children who must sit beneath my brim. Next to the hundreds that have come before them, they hardly stand out, but I remember every head I've sat upon, oh yes! But now is not the time to dwell on the past, the time has come once more for me to set these children on their destined paths.

I slowly stretch myself as best an old hat can, and after parting the leathery folds of my mouth, I begin my song:

Bright eyes and curious minds,
    Your youthful hearts entreat,
    I sort you where my judgement finds,
    Fate's path calls forth your eager feet.

O, but who am I to say,
    Where best you ought to go?
    You may yet ask this hat of gray,
    And with my song I'll tell you all you need to know.

Two wizards and two witches wise,
    Set forth to build a school.
    One house they would each devise,
    And each with different rule.

For Lion demanded students bold and just,
    While Eagle wished for scholar and wit,
    Only those ambitious and pure of blood would Serpent entrust,
    When Badger welcomed all they scoffed but none would she omit.

But how could each their legacy assure,
    When Hogwarts would outlive them all?
    Why a hat, of course, would ever endure,
    A hat as wise as it is tall.

Thus it was I came to be;
    Plucked from lion's crown,
    Enchanted by all four who would agree,
    A smarter hat none would ever see!

So come sit beneath my brim,
    And I will give your brain a little skim,
    Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin!
    I'll let you know just where you fit in.

Once the applause dies down the first name is called out. As I'm steadily lowered down over the child's head, my work begins...

"Yes, yes it's becoming quite clear to me where you ought to be put. To be sure though, I must ask you some questions:

"You're faced with these four objects: a small, oak box that seems to move from time to time; a sizable rusty iron box to which a note is attached, the note explains that it shall only reveal its contents to the honorable; a modestly sized, sleek box without a discernible opening but which seems to be magically trying to draw your attention; an elaborately detailed golden chest bearing a cryptic inscription. Which of these would you choose?"

"Ah yes, just as I thought."

"Were someone to insult you, what word or phrase would upset you most?"

"Interesting... Now, onto the next one."

"You're sharing a favorite sweet treat with a friend. You've each had the same amount each and there is only one left. You both want it. How would you deal with this situation?"

"I'd say I'm surprised but of course I saw that coming."

"If you could emulate someone, past or present, who would it be and why?"

Reply to this post with one post only. Include your character's answers to all four questions that the Sorting Hat asks. First years can reply one after the other. They do not need to wait until the sorting hat responds to each individual. This allows for a quicker sorting for the first years. When the sorting hat does respond, it will reply to all previous first years with one post. The more detailed the answers the more accurate the sorting will be. Include the character's thought process and the logic used in their decision making, but most importantly, there is no right or wrong answer for questions 2 - 4 as long as the answer given has IC narrative along with it.

@Eliza Tremlett @Molly Hagrid @Hwan Moon @Calla Potts @Holly Scrimgeour @Luce Faucher-De Loncrey @Sloane Bixby
    Holly had been waiting eleven years to sit upon the Sorting Hat's stool, and now here she was! She'd been overwhelmed by the sight of so many students when all the first years had entered the Great Hall, but she'd managed to keep from looking insecure or embarrassed thus far.

Her name was called, and she tried to contain her excitement as she somewhat rushed towards the stool. She threw herself down on the seat and glanced upwards as the hat was being placed on her head.

"You're faced with these four objects: a small, oak box that seems to move from time to time; a sizable rusty iron box to which a note is attached, the note explains that it shall only reveal its contents to the honorable; a modestly sized, sleek box without a discernible opening but which seems to be magically trying to draw your attention; an elaborately detailed golden chest bearing a cryptic inscription. Which of these would you choose?"

Her mind immediately began to teeter back and forth between the golden chest and the iron box with a note on it. The golden chest was shiny and treasures likely lied within it, but the note on the books seemed like a challenge to her — a challenge that she would not easily turn down.

Oh, if only she could pick both!

"I'd probably take the box with the note — I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it if I took another one," she said with a smile.

A second question then came and completely threw her off: "Were someone to insult you, what word or phrase would upset you most?"

Her mind scanned through a list of words that would likely set off her tears. There weren't many, but there were definitely a few.

"Ugly would be hurtful — I always try to look pretty! Weak would probably boil my blood more than make me cry," she explained.

Another question came: "You're sharing a favorite sweet treat with a friend. You've each had the same amount each and there is only one left. You both want it. How would you deal with this situation?"

"Oh," she said, shaking her head. "They could have it, but I definitely get it next time. I won't forget about it, either!".

A final question came, and it left her stuck for a moment: "If you could emulate someone, past or present, who would it be and why?"

With a deep breath, she replied: "Probably Olivia Pendergast. She was such a famous socialite and I want people to like me like they liked her! I probably wouldn't mind being the equivalent of Merlin, though," she giggled, imagining herself with a long beard.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Holly Scrimgeour's post:
       Odira Potter
    The time had finally come! He had noticed some familiar faces in the crowd and he gave them a wave before settling into waiting as the sorting hat sang its song. Soon enough, they were being called up one by one.

When it was his turn, Hwan went and sat upon its stool. Would he be a Hufflepuff like his mother swore he'd be, would he be a Gryffindor like his father insisted or would he be forging an entirely new path within the Moon family?

Hwan considered the hats first question. He wasn't quite sure which he would choose, really. He liked to think that he was honorable but the other things were definitely of more interest to him so he dismissed that one. His mind kept going back to the small box that moved from time to time. Was something inside it? Some sort of animal? Oh, he would be so curious to know!

"The small, oak box."

An answer to the second question that he was asked immediately sprung to mind. He was a pureblood that did not think himself any better than anyone else for it and he absolutely detested people that did.

"Blood traitor. I am a pureblood but that doesn't make me any better than anyone else. And no one has a right to judge me about who I choose as my friends."

The next question was a super easy one. He loved to share and most especially when it was with a friend. "I would suggest that we get it split in half so that we both have had an absolute equal amount and both get to have that last bit of the sweet."

Hwan was then stumped on the last question. He tried to think of someone in his family or that he had read about when given history lessons by his governess. In the end, he decided on the now former Minister of Magic. "The now former Minister of Magic! His daughter was attacked by a werewolf but he has accepted her and still loves her. He has defied people for it and I admire that very much. From what my father has said about him, he is the type of man that I want to grow up to be. But hopefully not so much that I end up with werewolf children."
    [-] The following 2 users Like Hwan Moon's post:
       Odira Potter, Topaz Urquart

set by the fabulous nolan!

@Holly Scrimgeour
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "Interesting... you'll thrive in a house that is ambitious and resourceful. You're going to-" Out loud, it declares, "Slytherin!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.

@Hwan Moon
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "Hm... better be where those of loyalty and hard work are appreciated. For you, it'll be-" Out loud, it declares, "Hufflepuff!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.
    I would've said "any house but Hufflepuff", but if it's a really good fit, then go for it. xD
    Oh, this was so exciting!

Three years Eliza had heard about Hogwarts, hearing wondrous stories about moving staircases, talking paintings, learning magic, and living in a castle, and now she was finally here to experience it all for herself! Both Georgia and her great-aunt hadn't been exaggerating when they said how large the school was, and Eliza had been in awe ever since she arrived, taking in the sheer size of the Front Entrance and Great Hall, the floating candles and enchanted ceiling above them. She'd barely even noticed when they came to a sudden stop in front of a fraying, old hat on a stool, nearly colliding with the student in front of her, and she'd regarded it curiously. What did a hat have to do with the sorting?

Her eyes widened a little in surprise when the curious object in question - as ordinary as it looked, despite being aged - started to speak! So they weren't going to have to battle a dragon or any of the other sorting stories her aunt's ward had teased her with; they simply had to try on the hat! That sounded much more reasonable - and a little relieving, honestly, for Eliza hadn't a clue how to go up against a dragon, and it wasn't like she and her fellow students had been armed with swords, armor, or any other protective gear!

Eliza waited (albeit, a little impatiently) as one by one her new classmates were called forward and placed in their respective houses - such was the life of a student with a surname towards the end of the alphabet - but eventually, her own name was mentioned, and Eliza had walked toward the front of the room with a little bounce in her step, dark brown pigtails swaying slightly with the movement.

Once sat on the stool, the old hat was placed on her head, sending her into darkness as it slipped over eyes and a little voice spoke in her head.

"Oh, the sleek box, honestly," she answered cheerfully, though a little uncertainly because was she supposed to answer in her head, too? She supposed so. "My great-aunt often says I'm too easily distracted, so even if I was interested in one of the others, I possibly couldn't ignore the one drawing my attention!"

Eliza thought for a moment on the next question, weighing her answer. "I do worry that people will say that I'm less of a witch because I wasn't brought up around magic and I'm still learning about it, so I'd imagine that it would upset me if someone were to actually say it to my face."

"Share it, of course!," she said without hesitation to the third question. "That way we both could have a piece, and everyone's happy."

She was a little caught off-guard by the last question, her mind blanking on who she'd name. She didn't want to sound silly, but neither did she want to give an answer that was untrue either! Though after a moment, she gave, "I suppose I'd like to be like my father. Most people used to say that that he was hardworking, fun, loved learning new things, was always positive when things got difficult, and an overall good person. I think that those are good traits to live up to."

[-] The following 1 user Likes Eliza Tremlett's post:
       Odira Potter
    Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thanks!
    [Image: xIUTSwW.png]
    avatar & signature created by the talented olive
    Sorting day. Oh my, she had been waiting for this day for almost twelve years now - a little over a month left till she turned twelve make her look slightly more like a young second year than a unsorted first year. The wait had been enough to make her jealous of muggleborns. They didn't have to wait their whole lives or watch their six other siblings go off without them each year.

As she waited - as a P she already knew she would be towards the end of the list so she didn't pay too much attention yet - she yanked her robe sleeves down and reached mindlessly towards her wand like she was skeptical it was still there and that a wand had chosen her showing she had some lick of magic. Greyish blue eyes flicked over the crowds as she sought out familiar faces - Daffodil, Dahlia, Rowan, Katniss, and Fletcher. Gabriella, her cousin being sorted with her. She would be called up right after her.

She jerked then, as the hat called her name and she could hear a few chuckles from the tables behind her and she flushed slightly though she made her way up to the stool to have the hat placed upon her head. It was shockingly light she noted with a giggle.

Choices were hard, she decided then as the hat gave her a list of boxes right after one another. The gold box was easy to eliminate. She held no interest in things like that - she would only get it dirty and then the governess would yell at her. Nor did the rusty one. She sought no glory and she really didn't want to be disappointed if it didn't open. The box with no visible opening peaked her interest, however. What would be so much it had to be sealed in such a drastic way and was powerful enough to still draw her in? She felt no fear at such thought and still wanted to see whatever lurked inside. Still, the oak attracted her interest in just the same way. What was inside it moving the box? She couldn't think of any animal that small that would be strong enough to move the wooden box - though, at the same time, neither of the two boxes she found interesting had air holes.

"The black box," she answered finally, her lips now curled into a pout. "Those boxes didn't have animals right? Cause if they do you might want to mention the boxes have air holes unless you want everyone to think bad about you. What was in the boxes though, Mr. Hat?"

"Were someone to insult you, what word or phrase would upset you most?"

This was harder. She didn't care much about her appearance so likely nothing physical related would leave that deep of an insult. She didn't care about blood status or even wealth, to be honest. She wouldn't have been too bothered by someone calling her poor - not that she really was, rather she was actually quite comfortable. She had never been the intelligent sister - that was likely, Daffy or Thistle, and she had no complaint about that. So what would upset her? Maybe...

"Useless," she stated, her voice quieter this time and her feet kicked back and forth, dangling from the stool due to her impressively short height. It was true. With six older sisters always busy with their own things and her mother worried about getting them married, it often felt like she was shoved to the background. Like she didn't have any remarkable traits. She was the leftovers.

"You're sharing a favorite sweet treat with a friend. You've each had the same amount each and there is only one left. You both want it. How would you deal with this situation?"

This one was easy. Having six sisters and nine other cousins within the same fifteen year age range taught you to share really quick. "Split it in half. The person who doesn't cut it gets to be the first to pick," she stated brightly, smiling.

"If you could emulate someone, past or present, who would it be and why?"

And back at it with the hard questions. Still, she didn't know. "Can I say no one? I'd far rather be myself than try to be someone else. That just seems a little boring. Maybe though, if I have to pick, Bowman Wright I think his name was. I read about him in one of my quidditch books. He made the stitch and saved the golden snidget from being hunted to death."
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Calla Potts's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: oadORX.png]
    thank you, bee, for the amazing set!!
    In the three months since Sisse's letter had arrived she had eagerly awaited this moment. Standing among her fellow first years she could hardly believe that it had finally arrived. The excitement paired with nervousness found herself wanting to bounce on the tips of her toes and swing her arms at her sides. And yet she remained still. Still as a proper young lady should, just as Miss Hughes had taught her. She tried to wait patiently, all her life she had only had to wait for two other pupils, now she had to wait among many more, it felt as if an eternity until "Thompsett, Sisse," Was called out through the Great Hall. All eyes turned to the small girl, she could feel them following her as she approached the worn hat on the stool. Sisse's hands felt clammy as she moved forward with gracefully precise steps that belied nothing of her present feelings. She would not let anyone see her discomfort, instead she lifted her head proudly.

As Sisse lifted the hat to her brim and took her place on the stool, she thought of what Matthew had told her the sorting would be like. Or rather, what he had implied. A battered old hat hardly seemed dangerous. She had almost scoffed when she had seen it waiting for them, she'd been ready to face down... well she didn't know what. But a hat certainly hadn't been featured in her daydreams.

The wizard's hat slipped down over her eyes, blocking Sisse's view of the Great Hall. Instead it was replaced with an image of four boxes. Internally she ran over each of them, considering. The small unassuming wooden box shook, it mildly interested her, but her gaze fell to the rusty iron box and the note attached, the word  'honorable' caught her attention. Immediately Sisse wondered what it's contents would reveal, surely she would be considered honorable! And if not becoming an honorable enough person to open the box intrigued her. Beside it a box tried to capture her attention - if such a thing could be said of an inanimate object. Surely it was magical, Sisse was no fool, but she hardly spared it a glance. Her eyes instead fell on the golden box, her nose wrinkling at how ostentatious it looked. The iron box intrigued her, as did the thought of honor and demonstrating to all she was honorable enough to open such a box. "The iron box." Sisse stated firmly.

The idea of the boxes faded, replaced instead by words of the hat. Sisse responded before she could truly consider the words, "It would be a threat to my family that I could do nothing about." She cursed her impulsive words. Mrs. Hughes and her mother had tried to teach her to think before she spoke, yet sometimes she could hardly keep herself from speaking her mind. No it wasn't a single word or phrase that she had answered with, but the hopelessness and ability to do nothing would be, to her, the most devastating. Perhaps as a young lady she would never be able to defend her family and their honor as Matthew or Henry might, but she wasn't about to let that stop her. She didn't regret her answer.

Interesting? That was the only response the hat had? Before she could truly consider that, the voice in her head continued with another question. Sharing. That was easy. "I'd let them have it." It was what a young lady was trained to do, but it was also the right thing to do. Sisse knew that. The hat's response made Sisse smile. Of course, she acceded.

Who would she most wish to emulate? The young lady took a moment to consider, her mind running through the lessons Miss Hughes had taught her. There were so many people she admired, but the one who fascinated her the most was Queen Eleanor, Richard the Lionhearted's mother. Eleanor had been a forceful woman and yet she had been considered the most graceful and queenly of queens. Sisse could only wish to be half as grand as the famed queen. To be the perfect balance of power and womanly arts would be the pinnacle of a proper young lady's career. She said as much to the hat in response to it's question.

ooc: I originally intended her to be in Gryffindor, but if you feel she belongs somewhere else, I'd be happy to see where that takes her.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Sisse Thompsett's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: Z5k5ZI1.jpg]
    @Eliza Tremlett
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "Ah, right then. You'd be best placed with those who value knowledge and wit. I'll put you in-" Out loud, it declares, "Ravenclaw!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.

@Calla Potts
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "Hm... better be where those of loyalty and hard work are appreciated. For you, it'll be-" Out loud, it declares, "Hufflepuff!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.

@Sisse Thompsett
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "I believe that you'll do very well where chivalry and bravery are justly rewarded. Better be-" Out loud, it declares, "Gryffindor!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.
    Sloane was practically vibrating with excitement and anxiety as she entered the Great Hall for the Sorting. It was exactly like her brother's had described, though she rather thought them poor storytellers to truly do it justice! They certainly had not been able to warn her about just how big everything was!

Lucky for Sloane, having a last name near the beginning of the roster, she didn't have to wait long for her turn and approached the Sorting Hat at a speed that was probably highly improper for a young lady, but she was just so excited! As the Hat was lowered onto her head, Sloane's eyes widened in amazement, though she quickly tried to focus as it spoke to her.

The first question caught her off guard... what an odd choice to make! Sloane puzzled through it, quickly dismissing the last two options as too much fuss for her. "I think I would try for the iron box! Even if I couldn't open it at first, it's never too late to be honorable and it's something everybody should be!" It would be worth the work in the long run!

Sloane scowled at the thought of the second question, but she supposed she knew the answer well enough. "I certainly wouldn't enjoy if somebody called me a coward! It's so very important to stand up for what you believe in and to take chances in life. You have to be brave and jump on in with both feet!

Sharing sweets, she had four brothers, she was always sharing sweets! "Split if of course!" She thought immediately, as if it wasn't the most obvious answer. Honestly that was so straightforward. Sloane would have just given it to a friend, but if it could be split that was most fair.

The third question had been too easy, of course the last one would be a tricky one! However since the Hat didn't specify any kind of specific person, like a famous person, Sloane thought about it for a quick moment before settling on an obvious choice. "My Papa! He's a hardworking man who keeps mama happy and lets me play quidditch! He's always happy and encourages me to try new things. He lets me climb trees and ride brooms and helps my brothers with their interests too! He's managed to take something he loves and turn it into a job that he enjoys and it shows! Papa always makes time for family, even during the season and he's never too busy to stop and talk, especially when one of us really needs him." Oh how she would miss her Papa during the school year! Thankfully he was only just an owl away and she still had Harrison and Wallace with her at school.

It seemed like that was the end of the quiz and so Sloane eagerly awaited the Hat's decision!
    [Image: mwv4J5.png]
    Luce's name rang loud in her ears as she looked to the hat, from her gazing around the crowd. She went up, excitement in her eyes. She sat down quietly, letting the professor to set the hat upon her head.

"I think I would like to explore the wooden box. It would be interesting to see what would be inside. Last time I opened a moving box, I got an owl. Such a sweet creature."

It was certainly an interesting question. She almost picked the one that would draw her attention, but the happy memory of her first meeting her owl had drawn her more to the box that might have held another friendly animal.

"The main thing that I could think of, would be if someone were to tell me I would never be good enough for my uncle and aunt, who raised me. That I would never live up to be like my aunt, to impress my uncle. It would hurt, especially if their tone implied that they fully meant it."

That question hit closer to her heart. She was upset by it, and wished to move on to the next question quickly.

"Oh, this is quite easy. We shall split it in half, making sure that the both of us get an equal amount, and it is an easy way to avoid conflict."

That was a bit too easy, in her opinion. Wouldn't anyone do that? It seemed simply enough.

She couldn't help but perk up at the next question. It was the easiest question, and brought her great joy.

"Like my aunt, of course. She is an amazing woman. So smart, and graceful. She is one to always look up to. I am grateful for her and her brother, my uncle, to have raised me. I adore them both dearly."

There was a proud glow about her at the end. The last question lifting her spirts.
    Set created by me! Check out more at my graphics shop!
    [Image: WYhfmOS.jpg]
    Luce speaks with a pronounced French accent
    Anything in Italics is spoken in French.
    @Sloane Bixby
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "I believe that you'll do very well where chivalry and bravery are justly rewarded. Better be-" Out loud, it declares, "Gryffindor!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.

@Luce Faucher-De Loncrey
    Alcyone had been waiting for this moment for all of her life. Well, not really but at the moment she certainly felt like she had! Maddy had gotten sorted into Gryffindor and it felt like it was taking forever for the Sorting Hat to get on with its business and reach the S's. Her foot began to tap a little impatiently but she managed to catch herself before it became too much of a nuisance.

Then finally, it was her turn to sit upon the stool.

The first question struck her as rather odd and she took a moment to think about it. The small oak box was pretty meh and it would creep her out if it moved from time to time. The rusty iron box with the note seemed appealing but so did the other two things. Each one seemed interesting and promising... she couldn't choose! The golden chest was bound to have some sort of treasure - like pirates doubloons or something so she decided to go with that. "I would choose the golden chest."

The next question was a doozy. There were a lot of things one could say to insult her but she always felt that she gave as good as she got. "Any insult that involves my family, I suppose. I don't really care what anyone calls me but they better not say anything bad about my family!"

Alcyone would like to say that she would split it evenly. That felt like the right thing to do, the nice thing even and Alcyone very much considered herself to be a nice person. The sorting hat would know she wasn't being completely honest if she said that, though. "I would try and sweet talk them into letting me have it at first, to be quite honest." Well, unless it was Maddy. Maddy would get an evenly split candy but any of her other friends were out of luck because they weren't her best friend.

This last question was a no brainer, she knew exactly who she wanted to emulate even if she didn't personally fully understand what that word meant. "My uncle! He always has the most amazing stories and adventures!"
    [-] The following 2 users Like Alcyone Slughorn's post:
       Holly Scrimgeour, Odira Potter
    [Image: mH9IsO.png][Image: 3027t6x.jpg]
    @Alcyone Slughorn
    [-] The following 2 users Like The Sorting Hat's post:
       Odira Potter, Tristan Michaud
    Nathan couldn’t help fidgeting in excitement as the hat was lowered over his head. As the first image appeared in his mind, he felt drawn to the old rusted box, and after reading the note, he moved to open it. However instead of seeing inside a new image appeared, a faceless boy had just sneered and said that he didn’t belong here, that his invitation was a mistake. His hands clenched into fists, but this image too passed. A box of cauldron cakes now sat between him and another, only one and a few crumbs remained. He grabbed it and split it roughly in half and offered the larger piece to his “friend.” Finally the hat spoke in his mind one last time, “Who would you emulate, past or present?” This made him pause for several minutes. There were so many people who he respected. Finally he came to an answer. Not one that most would come to, he suspected. He had studied the far east greatly in his old school, aand so he said, “Nobunaga Oda. He was brave, ambitious, and not afraid to show compassion even to his enemies. For this he was called a fool yet united a nation with his brilliance.” As he answered, he heard the hat give its answer at last.
    @Nathan Blackwall
    The Sorting Hat responds inside your head with, "Ah, right then. You'd be best placed with those who value knowledge and wit. I'll put you in-" Out loud, it declares, "Ravenclaw!" Amid cheers, it wishes you the best of luck and sends you off to your new house's table.
    At last, it was time for the Sorting! Molly had been eager to see everything about Hogwarts, of course, but the curious, worn hat that sat on the stool before them was certainly one of the more anticipated sights! The redhead had not given much thought to which house she wanted to be in, but she was nervous all the same -- she would be living with these people for years, and she wanted to at least get along with them!

After perching herself on the stool, the hat was lowered onto her head, and Molly chewed her lip as she considered her answers to the barrage of questions.

"I'd pick the iron box," she thought readily in response to its first question. "I'd want to try to be honorable enough to make it open. It's almost like a challenge!"

The second was harder. Molly was not in the habit of letting anybody push her around, in spite of her slight stature, and she would have rather died before letting anyone see her cry. "I think if anyone told me there was something I couldn't do -- because I was too little, or not smart enough, or -- good enough to do it -- that would be the worst," she said, shifting uncomfortably on the stool. She was old enough now to know that even coming from Pennyworth wasn't good enough for some people; she wanted to prove those people wrong and rub their noses in it!

The third one was much easier, thank Merlin! "We'd split it, of course," Molly thought with certainty. Why on earth was this even a question? Sharing was the only way to be sure no one was left out. She was all too used to having to share with her siblings, but she supposed some people were so spoiled that the idea wouldn't occur to them!

The final question was easy, too. "My mama," she thought. "Mama worked so hard to get all of her NEWTs, and she never lets anybody tell her what to do! I want to be as smart and strong as she is."

The questioning done, Molly held her breath as the Hat mulled over its response.