Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Taste Every Wasted Minute
    As good as his wife. The words broke his heart, and he was so absorbed in this moment that it felt as if the entire world was breaking, too. The very air around them was falling to pieces and nothing mattered except holding on to her for as long as he could, because any moment now, she was going to fall away, too.

No, she wasn't going to fall away, and that was the whole problem. He was going to have to let her go. He'd thought so hard about it for so long, and he'd composed what he thought would be the best way to do it in the letter that he'd written her. What he was doing right now was akin to taking a match to the bridge he'd been so carefully building, in that letter. He was sabotaging his own efforts, and worse, he was going to end up hurting her.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, still holding her close with his face more or less buried in her hair. "I'm sorry it couldn't be real."
    Who alone suffers, Suffers most in the mind
    Leaving free things and happy shows behind

Xena wanted nothing more that for the world outside of Lou’s arms to fall apart and leave them alone. They hadn’t wanted any of this reality, they’d wanted nothing of its tragedy, but the world seemed content to keep turning whilst people who didn’t love each other could get married and grow old with their families, but they were denied that.

“It is real.” She insisted in a muffled voice, glad Lou at least couldn’t see the tears springing in her eyes. This was the last time for a long time they’d be together, she wasn’t going to ruin it by crying. “You’re real, we’re real.”
    [Image: IKNXus.png]
    Stunning set by Soph <3
    [Image: kZuCust.jpg]

He knew what Xena was trying to say, and she wasn't wrong. They were here, the two of them, and what they felt for each other was real, indeed. That wasn't enough, though. Having something wouldn't prevent you from losing it, it would only make it hurt so much worse when it did.

"It's not what you deserve," he insisted softly. He ought to let go of her, he knew, but he was so reluctant to release his grip that for a long moment he didn't do a thing. "You should have someone who can make you happy," he said, finally loosening his grip on her and moving his hands down to find hers, taking both hands in his. "I wish I could make you happy, Xena, but I can't."

Maybe, someday, someone would give her the things he hadn't been able to. The very notion of it hurt, but he tried to push the feeling away. It was selfish to cling to her like this when he knew there was no future in it--and it had been selfish to pretend, even for a moment, that there was any future in it. He couldn't have her for the week, or even for the night--but he had her right now, and he'd have to be contented with that. It wasn't enough, but it was all he'd ever have.

The comfort of Lou’s arms was gone, and the room seemed suddenly several degrees colder despite his grip on her hands. The tears were coming in earnest at his words, and she made no effort to hide them. She had always worn her heart on her sleeve, even when it was just shards of what it had been.

“You are more than I deserve.” Xena insisted tearfully with all the stubbornness of a Fisk. She was used to getting her way- even if it meant damning society, damning her soul, she couldn’t let him go just like that. “You think I can forget someone so ridiculously selfless?” She said, trying to focus on memorizing Lou’s face for the umpteenth time, but thwarted by the fact her vision was swimming with tears and she was struggling not to sob. “There is nobody like you Lou, and nobody else who could make me happy.”
    Stunning set by Soph <3

The tears on her cheeks pained him, and Lou let go of one of her hands in order to try and brush them away lightly with the backs of his fingers, though she was crying enough now that his efforts were doomed not to be able to keep up with the constant supply. "Xena," he pleaded quietly, but he didn't know what to say. What could he tell her? To love him less? He didn't want that, no matter how much it would hurt both of them over the coming months, and even if it was in their best interest he could never ask her for that.

Feeling rather helpless in the face of this moment, Lou leaned in to kiss her lips again, briefly but with intensity. "I love you," he said quietly, leaning his forehead against hers and brushing a few more tears away. "I want you to be happy. And... and I'm so sorry, that it has to end this way." And it did have to end this way, didn't it? Even if he'd once been under the delusion that he could have lived happily ever after with her and his condition would never have affected them, sooner or later he would have come to this same conclusion. They'd been doomed since before they'd even begun.

There was no point protesting it any more. Lou knew she couldn’t move on, not in the six years they’d been apart, and not in the sixty that might follow. She didn’t need to say it out loud, not when she fell more in love with every tear he wiped away and felt like her breath might stop every time he moved closer to her. Xena didn’t understand the unfairness of it all. They had started off so beautifully and had never wavered from each other, but fate, it seemed, could not stand to see them happy. Maybe happiness just wasn’t for them.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Xena Fisk's post:
       Lupus Jameshill
    Stunning set by Soph <3

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
    Private Thread A Taste of Ambrosia Ophelia Dippet 13 507 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM
    Last Post: Marcus Lytton