Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!
    09.02 The AC is underway, and the results are in for Camp Charming...
    09.01 September ahoy! A new school year, new skins, and elections!
    08.27 Upcoming AC and Wizengamot tweak
    08.21 So you want to be a Student Club President?
    08.08 We have two PW winners for July: Soph and Beanie!
    08.07 SWP7 update for those working/in Hogsmeade
    08.05 Hogwarts updates have begun! Also, the AC is underway.

Welcome to the jungle
    Open Thread 
    The house was ready, the preparations for this years hunt had engaged Gwen for some weeks. Every year she tried to outdo the last in terms of the spectacle, the extent of the celebration, the ostentatiousness of the celebration. This year, she was sure, would be the best year yet. She had chosen a rather dramatic white hunting dress for the reception, even though she had no intention of wearing the dress hunting – the colour was rather impractical for riding over hedges and through dirty fields.

The welcoming reception was ‘light’ -after all dinner would be a in the early evening to leave time for the dancing and festivities of the later evening, and so it was merely canapes and wine. She had specifically invited some people, and had her secretary draw up a list of acceptable others for her approval. As such, many of those who had been invited were not intimate friends of Gwendolyn’s but the hunt always offered a good opportunity to become better acquainted with persons of note.

Gwen was circulating when she heard herself being addressed from behind. Turning she smiled at the gent/lady who was speaking to her. ’Oh (insert person here) Welcome to the Wethertop Castle my dear, we are most pleased to have you join us’

Dress
    [Image: gwen1_zpsukiwakfx.jpg]
    Gwen is referred to as Countess of Adinbury by others, but as Lady Adinbury when you are speaking to her

Regina wasn't used to events like this yet. It was so different. She felt strange as a new debutant. She was still trying to get used to things. She wasn't sure how she felt about hunting, but knew better than to voice anything about the matter. She was, after all, slightly curious as well. Was there really a reason as to why some people liked it so much? She couldn't be sure. What she did know was that she was now at the event, and there was no turning back. Not that she had made the decision to go forward in the first place, but that was not what she had to think about now.

She wasn't sure why she and her uncle, well... her uncle mainly she felt, were invited. But it had seemed rude to question. She just wondered as to why they were invited if they didn't know the owners of the rather large home. Or, at least, she didn't know the owners.

She finally spotted the hostess, and thought that she should properly thank her for the event, and compliment it. After all, it seemed that that was the thing to do. "Lady Adinbury?" She said as she approached the woman. She gave her a kind smile. "Thank you, very much. It is a very lovely place. I was hoping to thank you personally for the invite. I'm sure that the event shall be very exciting." She said, hoping that that was the right thing to say. She wasn't surprised that the Lady Adinbury knew her name. After all, she was in Witch Weekly for her debut.

She then noticed the Countess' outfit. "Oh, and what a beautiful dress you have." She added. She hoped that was OK. It was, wasn't it? After all, an outfit did take time to prepare, and should be complemented when it was appropriate.
    Set created by me! Check out more at my graphics shop!
    [Image: kPMXDSs.jpg]
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers[Image: nqi.gif]
    Killian had once been quite interested in hunting. Then he got kicked in the leg by a horse, and his shin was never the same after that. His sister had called it karma, for his hexing of her husband's leg. Killian just called it a cruel joke, because now he felt he needed to avoid participating in anything that could make the injury worse. And unfortunately, hunting qualified under that umbrella.

He stayed close to his ward, Miss Lacey, in his own mid-tone grey suit, with his walking stick in hand for him to slightly lean his weight onto when they stopped, Regina speaking to the lady of the house. The only downside to this whole mess was the simple fact that not only could he not hunt, but he realized, after accepting the invitation, that he'd have to spend an unfortunate amount of time functioning as chaperone!

Still, it was better to be polite, and Regina had had the apparent idea to greet the countess! This was sure to have one of two outcomes - either they'd be removed from the event, or the two would hit it off. He hoped Regina didn't say anything wrong.

"Lady Adinbury," he greeted, once Regina was finished speaking, with a polite nod. He was still very much not used to the entire concept of spending any time around royalty, but at least he knew not to ramble.
    emo!Killian by Nolan!! <3
    [Image: IfFgIx.png]
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers[Image: 2n8tv2c.jpg]Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Gwen had to admit that she didn’t quiet know everyone that was attending the hunt, certainly not intimately. She had created a list of a names that absolutely ‘HAD’ to be there, at least for her amusement, and a few ‘good’ families that would do well by their attendance, and who could be of use to the various unmarried members of her own family. Then her secretary had added other society names that would be a requirement. Miss Lacey fell into the second category.

She didn’t eaxtly ‘know’ Miss Lacey but she knew she was an orphan, an heiress and had a good reputation. She knew she would be of no interest to Cornelius but Earnest wouldn’t have any sort of living after their parents died, so an heiress wouldn’t be a bad choice for him, although from what she knew of the lady she wasn’t sure how their personalities would match for a truly felicitous match – but then he could marry for money but love another. He wouldn’t be the first noble son to marry and have a life with a mistress with a wife bank rolling the entire endeavour.

’Thank you my dear’ the countess said with her most magnanimous smile at the girls compliment. She realised how much of a treat it must be for non-nobles to be invited into the home of people such as herself and Fitzhugh, especially little orphan, heiress or not. After all, where they not all magical there was almost no chance that people such as they would meet. The girls uncle spoke. He wasn’t much older than she was, at least not by his appearance, ’Mister Tabiner, I am very glad that you and your lovely niece could join us. But I believe that neither of you are hunting?’ she glanced between the two.

Gwen was a cynic and she had certain theories about why they would attend a hunting party and not actually participate, and in either case she wasn’t sure if she should be annoyed or impressed.
    Gwen is referred to as Countess of Adinbury by others, but as Lady Adinbury when you are speaking to her

Regina was sure that she wanted to marry. After all, that was the reason for a debut. Of course, there was also the fact of getting away from her guardian and his crazed sister once and for all. She wanted to actually be social again. It seemed as though the pair did not wish that for her and she was close to finding some way out of the household that would not wreck her reputation for doing so. She just knew she couldn't handle things with them for too much longer. She felt extremely uncomfortable. Not that she would show that in public, or let others know.

She knew that she was not of the same status as the woman in front of her, but she hoped that the woman was humble of her status, as anything less seemed rude. But she made no comment of that. She just gave her another kind and polite smile. She was quite pleased to be referred to as lovely. It was quite the complement.

That changed with the last of the Countess's words. She frowned slightly. Then glanced at her uncle's leg and realization flashed in her eyes. She smiled and shook her head lightly. "No. My uncle shall not be joining the hunt. Due to his leg, if I'm not mistaken. I, on the other hand, shall. After all, I have no reason not to." She said politely. It was a simple mistake, one that was easily fixable. After all, Regina was capable of joining a hunt.

@Gwendolyn Vane-Tempest @Killian Tabiner
    Gwen smiled at the girls correction, ’Wonderful! ’ she exclaimed, ’we have too few ladies hunting this year. It shall be just Miss Sleptova and myself if you don’t join us’. Gwens enthusiasm in this at least was real. She thought it terribly boring when none of the ladies too part in the hunt, and while alternative merriment was provided it was rather not the point of the weekend to forgo the riding. ’I must have misunderstood your dear uncle letter, I thought you wouldn’t be out with the other gents and I.’ She smiled broadly at the niece and grabbed both of her hands in Gwens.

’Do you have a horse with you, or shall we have Anderson, arrange one for you, I have a lovely little grey mare, who is such a good jumper.’ she enthused. It was perhaps the down fall of having so many guests, and not knowing many of them as intimately as those who would be attending the winter hunts. It was often rather hard to keep up with who had sent their horses ahead of time and who would need them. Gwen gave Mister Tabiner an admonishing look, ’Mister Tabiner, we almost robbed your niece of the chance to spend time in society’

(Dante is using Gwen as a spoon to stir the pot! XD)

Ah. Regina would be hunting. This, at least, would be of interest. As far as Killian had known, Regina hadn't shown interest in hunting, but this...ah, this was a fortuitous turn. Inclining his head, Killian smiled. "We did not bring a horse, I confess; I've been avoiding the beasts since one kicked me in the leg," he admitted. "If it isn't too troubling, of course." His smile grew more genuine, even as he stepped just a slight bit closer, shifting in a way that kept his weight mostly on his cane and good leg.

As much as he knew what he wanted, he knew that he could not be oppressive in his pursuit. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Perhaps he and Georgette should loosen their leash upon Miss Lacey, let her have her freedom - and simply turn aside most (if not all) suitors. Let her think she was free, and all.

"I could never be so cruel," he said, smile widening. "After all, what's a hunt without hunting? If I cannot participate, then Miss Lacey shall." He tapped the cane, a rapid motion made for emphasis. Damn theatricality.
    emo!Killian by Nolan!! <3
    [Image: IfFgIx.png]
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers[Image: 2n8tv2c.jpg]Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Regina was delighted to hear that she would be welcomed to join the hunt with a Countess. It felt like an honor. She couldn't help the excitement she felt. She did, however, not know how to feel about her uncle to be referred to as being 'dear' to her. It wasn't a word she would use. But she ignored it as the Countess took her hands. She smiled at her with joy.

She wished she could have a horse. She was rich enough to have several with plenty of money to spare. She did remember her father having a couple of them, but they grew old or sick, and passed… perhaps a couple of months before his death. They never had time to get new ones. She missed the ones they did have. She nodded to the Countess. "I would be honored to borrow one of your horses for the hunt." She replied.

She could tell how her uncle got slightly closer, it seemed to be becoming second nature for her. She didn't like it, but wouldn't let it show. She would rather the Countess whisk her away to prepare for the hunt. It was a reasonable excuse. She couldn't help but glance at her uncle as he spoke. As always, too dramatic. Well, at least he wasn't telling her 'no'. She wondered what his view of 'cruel' was. She felt it was rather cruel to make her deal with his weird sister at all, but alas, no one asked her.

@Killian Tabiner @Gwendolyn Vane-Tempest