Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Discussion Question: Werewolves & Laws
    Because this might very soon become relevant spoilers and Lou really should already know, as a former auror...

What do we think the laws are regarding werewolves registering with the Ministry? What would the penalty/punishment be for not doing it? What's the procedure like if you catch a werewolf during the full moon, and is the procedure different if someone comes in of their own accord? Is there even a procedure for that? Has it ever happened before? XD

Similarly, what would the penalties be for "aiding and abetting" a werewolf, so to speak? Helping them avoid capture or harboring them/supporting them? I imagine this must be illegal but what would be a fair penalty?

@Helena MacMillan @Hannah Pettigrew @Handsome Whitledge because you play characters who should maybe know about this; @Odira Potter @Cassius Lestrange @Ursula Black @Barnabas Skeeter @Elsie Beauregard @Theseus Greengrass @Elias Grimstone for staffiness!
    Who alone suffers, Suffers most in the mind
    Leaving free things and happy shows behind

For the wolf - maybe like 3-6 months in Azkaban if they don't come forward on their own within 3-6 months of being turned?

And half that for A&A?
    [Image: gkOkR5d.png]
    set by soph
    I'd support Azkaban for the wolves but I think that's a bit extreme for a&a unless they were like, feeding people to their werewolves >>

(08-06-2017, 02:38 PM)Topaz Urquart Wrote: I'd support Azkaban for the wolves but I think that's a bit extreme for a&a unless they were like, feeding people to their werewolves >>

Hagrid got a month in Azkaban because "someone" was petrifying students =P

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    Upon some cursory HPWiki searching, it seems like at least in the 1990s there weren't laws against werewolves so much as they were discriminated against hardcore (until Umbridge came into power, that is). Also apparently the Werewolf Registry was super ill maintained in modern times, which is probably at least in part because people didn't want to come forward and publicly say they were werewolves.

The only IRL corollary I can really think of is the sex offenders registry in the US, for which the penalty for failing to register/keep your info up-to-date is up to 10 years in prison. There's also different tiers of offenders with different rules about how often you have to update your info, how long you have to stay registered for, etc.

So maybe the penalty can be less harsh if it's determined that the person in question hasn't attacked anyone/has been taking appropriate precautions?
    [-] The following 3 users Like Leonid Fisk's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Gwendolyn Vane-Tempest, Topaz Urquart
    [Image: fV0mAs8.png]
    beautiful set by MJ!
    Maybe a month in Azkaban with a possibility of paying a heavy fee/bail instead? But they'd still have to go through the process of a trial and all that indignation and would probably get the same rep ding either way? They're just not really *dangerous*, particularly if the wolf they were aiding & abetting is locked up, so I think Azkaban still seems rough. :P

Editing to reply to @Leonid Fisk : I think punishments should definitely be steeper if they catch you during a full moon, or if you've been forced to register in the past and then make a decision to run off the grid. Maybe that's a year in prison and then they reevaluate to see whether you can be trusted outside?

I'm totally onboard with there not being a precedent for people turning themselves in, too. I feel like it doesn't happen much :P
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Topaz Urquart's post:
       Leonid Fisk

Fines for failing to register and if you are caught on a full moon its not an anti werewolf law that gets you, it would be something like 'causing a public nuisance' or 'depraved heart endangerment' for putting people potentially at risk.
    Then they could justify prison and you'd probably get something like 5-15 if no one died and a murder sentence/the kiss if they did
    [Image: gwen1_zpsukiwakfx.jpg]
    Gwen is referred to as Countess of Adinbury by others, but as Lady Adinbury when you are speaking to her

I also agree with the precedent that people don't usually own up to it.  Every bit of cannon I came across documents how inefficient or poorly maintained the Registry is due to lack of participation.  There could be a few laws based on the 1637 Werewolf code of conduct  like one to register and one that enforces the obligation to confine oneself during the full moon which would support the stacking of consequences as mentioned above.  

What I'm currently curious about: Does the Ministry provide Full Moon Lodging to ensure at least registered werewolves can be properly contained? (read: I'm resisting a character who wants to make registering as a werewolf a private matter so people are more likely to sign up and thereby make the world safer. Where there is a registry there could be some level of ministry responsibility.)
    Meri is a Seer. PM me for all things visions-related.
    ~When I find myself in times of trouble Mother MJ comes to me, creating sets of wonder let it be?~

(08-13-2017, 10:04 PM)Temerita Reid Wrote: What I'm currently curious about: Does the Ministry provide Full Moon Lodging to ensure at least registered werewolves can be properly contained? (read: I'm resisting a character who wants to make registering as a werewolf a private matter so people are more likely to sign up and thereby make the world safer. Where there is a registry there could be some level of ministry responsibility.)

Yes, this is something we have established/are establishing IC! There are Ministry-approved cells and the whole point of registering (at least from my understanding) is that you are then required to use them to prevent accidental breakouts. Some Ministry official would sign you in, lock you up, and then let you out the next morning.

I could totally see someone lobbying for having Ministry approved™ areas in private housing for a secret registry though, if there was a regularly scheduled inspection or something. But (from my understanding anyway) that would be a totally new thing because up until now the cells are the only option and as we've basically established it's mostly for werewolves "on parole" after being previously caught, since no one turns themselves in.

And Topaz. She'll be chilling with the murderers and criminals starting September 1st XD

(08-13-2017, 10:04 PM)Temerita Reid Wrote: What I'm currently curious about: Does the Ministry provide Full Moon Lodging to ensure at least registered werewolves can be properly contained? (read: I'm resisting a character who wants to make registering as a werewolf a private matter so people are more likely to sign up and thereby make the world safer. Where there is a registry there could be some level of ministry responsibility.)

Yes. They have containment cells for known werewolves who fail to provide satisfactory containment for themselves/prove iffy at best at sticking to own confinement! I would think though that the standards would be v. high -- like 1 in a couple dozen come close to reaching them

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    I doubt it. Not certain when it's set in time, either shortly before or shortly after the events of the books, but the Fantastic Beast android game have an unregistered werewolf named Silas Crump who owned an locked belt which he used to restrain himself in the London sewers every full moon.

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Question about wizarding hospitals Annette Fontaine 6 1,040 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM
    Last Post: Yorick Ballcocke
      Underage Magic Question Nola Haskett 5 1,492 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
    Last Post: Niall Donovan