Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Light My Fire
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

That was the entirety of Marcus' internal monologue when Lady Penelope uttere the words 'The man I want'. She actually liked him back? Marcus had always believed that it was a somewhat one sided thing. That she didn't like him as much as he liked her, or at all and that he would have to win her affections. This new information could positively kill him with glee. He was over the moon!

Overcome with emotion, Marcus took her hands in his and, after holding them for a bit he planted a light kiss on them. If only they weren't in a filled ballroom!

"You have made me so unbelievably happy, Lady Penelope!" he said, voice cracking with emotion.
    [Image: 9yjwqzU.png]
    [Image: LEB1B2f.png][Image: sfS97JC.gif]

His sincerity, and enthusiasm, were slightly overwhelming but Penny suspected she would have found even the most agreeable silence overwhelming at the moment given the upheaval she felt inside herself. Had she really meant to admit that? To potentially commit to a courtship she had barely even considered only twenty minutes ago…

“I…I…” She stuttered, trying desperately to think of what she should say. What did young ladies say on occasions such as this? A series of insipid statements about being unworthy of such attention sprang to mind and Penny internally snorted at them all – none of them were very her.

“I don’t know how to do any of this, Mr Lytton.” She said honestly, curling her fingers tighter around his hand experimentally, finding them soft as silk. Vaguely she wondered what the rest of him felt like and found herself fighting a blush.
    Lady Penelope's hesitations weren't irrational. Marcus himself felt as though he was making things up as they went along, for all that he had fantasized the moment that he would ask to court her. He had imagined it under many different scenarios - after all, he didn't even know that she would attend his ball that night, or that she would have worn his dress.

"It's alright," Marcus assured the young woman, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "We could enjoy ourselves tonight and tomorrow... I could speak to your father?" You usually informed the girl's father that you wanted to court her, after all.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Lytton's post:
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

Her father was an agreeable enough sort of man, if a bit distant in general, but that would likely serve her well in this case, and Penny couldn’t think of a reason why he would not say yes to such a request. Except for Mr Lytton’s profession…

Oh Merlin, what on earth was she doing? He was a glorified shopkeeper, a peddler of fabrics and shiny things designed to attract those of a gullible nature. He had a notorious sister, another she hadn’t even met, a mother she had heard innumerable tales about, he was frivolous and flamboyant and…

And…

A he had a truly wonderful smile and a way of looking at her that made her feel heavy and light at the same time.

“Perhaps…would you object to keeping it between us for a while?” She asked tentatively, rushing on when she heard how they might sound. “Just a few weeks until I’m used to it and I’m ready. After all,” she said with a twitch of her lips and a sardonic raise of her eyebrows that was a return to form at least. “I’ll need to prepare for association with such a famous man.”
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Penelope Humphrey-Mavis's post:
       Ellory Pendergast
    Marcus' heart sank a bit. Had he rushed things? It felt to him now as though he'd made Lady Penelope agree to this in a spur of a moment and now she'd regained her good senses and she was having second thoughts. Insecurities started flooding him. Of course a strong woman like Lady Penelope wouldn't want someone soft like him for her lifelong partner... Besides, he was barely taller than her.

"Of course," Marcus heard himself say. He couldn't argue with her. He wouldn't argue with her. He wanted to make her happy, even if it felt that it'd make him unhappy in the process.

"All the time you need... But I will be seeing you, won't I?"

What on earth was the world coming to that the slight look of dejectedness on this man’s face made her feel sick to her stomach? She barely knew him really but what she did know of him always seemed so bright and wonderful that any change in that felt like a cataclysmic change and she took a step closer before she even realised what she was doing, the joined hands between them becoming much more intimate a gesture.

“Yes, you will. That isn’t what I meant at all,” Penny said, exasperated with herself. “I want us to spend more time together not less. To see if we get on…” Her lips twitched. “To see if we annoy each other and if annoying each other is something that makes both of us happy.”

She rather suspected it might be.
       Marcus Lytton
    The corners of Marcus' mouth quickly turned into a smile. "I daresay that we aren't doing that very well now," he commented, raising his eyebrows at their entwined hands.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Lytton's post:
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

"No," she admittedly slowly, a small smile gracing her lips as she too gazed at their hands. It felt peculiarly fitting, she had to admit, though she was not likely to admit it out loud to anybody, apart possibly from the man next to her.

"Shall we dance?" She asked abruptly, glancing around the room and assessing that if they were doing that at least it wouldn't be obvious that they were becoming more intimate than they had ever been before. Nobody would query why they were holding hands if they were dancing.
       Marcus Lytton

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
    See Inside... Thread If You See Light Topaz Urquart 22 497 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM
    Last Post: Topaz Urquart
      Fire, Rain, and Time Demelza McGonagall 10 554 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM
    Last Post: Demelza McGonagall
    Private Thread Playing With Fire Lupus Jameshill 16 869 06-25-2017, 08:58 AM
    Last Post: Lupus Jameshill