Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '86
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    08.08 We have two PW winners for July: Soph and Beanie!
    08.07 SWP7 update for those working/in Hogsmeade
    08.05 Hogwarts updates have begun! Also, the AC is underway.
    08.01 Happy August!
    07.31 SWP meets Monthly Grouper in an opportunity to network and get some stamps.
    07.29 AC incoming et al.
    07.28 And the prefects are...
    07.23 Your stamp collection is about to get bigger!
    07.21 Calling in the banners!
    07.15 The rubble has been cleared and deadlines loom!
    07.10 Not one, not two, but THREE more stamps to add to your collection~
    07.09 New Account Change Feature!
    07.09 Disaster strikes!
    07.08 Charmers go above and beyond...
    07.07 Pop-up protest and photobucket things
    07.06 Photobucket emergency! Read me!
    07.04 A plot is afoot ;)
    07.01 July has come! Group threads are coming!
    August 1887
    SWP7 is live!
    08.01 - 08.31 Posting Wizard
    07.01 - 08.31 Camp Charming
    08.09 - 08.16 Adinbury Hunt
    08.14 Anti-Ban Protest
    08.16 - 08.23 Sanditon Regatta
    08.25 Hogsmeade Hall Dance
    And More!

Light My Fire
    Private Thread 
    Marcus had hoped to see her there.

After he'd confessed to having designed a dress for her, they'd departed on somewhat awkward terms. He'd mailed her the design but he wasn't sure if she'd accept it. He certainly didn't expect to see her wearing the dress that evening!

She looked marvelous. She looked even better than what he'd envisioned as he'd designed it. That shade of red suited her perfectly. Marcus was amused to notice that it wasn't quite the shade he'd picked for it. He wouldn't put it past her to go for a different shade - or maybe it was just the lighting of the room.

With a soft smile, he approached her. "Lady Penelope!" He regarded her for a moment, before saying: "You wore the dress."

@Penelope Humphrey-Mavis
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Lytton's post:
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis
    [Image: 9yjwqzU.png]
    [Image: LEB1B2f.png][Image: sfS97JC.gif]

Wearing the dress had never been in question. The moment it had arrived for her - just for her she now knew - Penny had hung it on the wardrobe in her bedroom and has woken every day to the sight of it. Sometimes she had been sure it was mocking her with its meaning but slowly, and after a great deal of moodiness on her part according to a baffled Olivia, she had come around to the idea.

The idea of wearing the dress. She would not commit to anything beyond that for now.

“Mr Lytton,” she greeted with a tight, awkward smile of greeting that was so foreign on her usually controlled face that it might have belonged to somebody else. Regaining her composure she straightened her back and waved her hand in polite dismissal. “It would have been churlish not to after you were generous enough to send it.” How he had found out where she lived she wasn’t sure but it was rather intriguing to speculate. “You will have to forgive me the slight moderation in colour. The Queen of Bohemia was not noted for bright colours.”
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Penelope Humphrey-Mavis's post:
       Marcus Lytton
    [Image: 5iMvf7V.png]
    [Image: 24uxmvk.jpg][Image: LEB1B2f.png]
    startlingly fashionhouse-esque set by Soph :P
    Lady Penelope did not disappoint. She didn't start gushing about how wonderful the dress was and how grateful she was for his gift. That was what Marcus loved so much about her. Unlike most people, she didn't try to worship him. That intrigued him and made pursuing her all the sweeter.

"I like it. It suits you," Marcus commented softly. In fairness, he thought that any colour would look good on Lady Penelope. She was blonde, but not ghastly. She could rock almost any colour.

"We make a good team," Marcus continued. The comment referred to the dress, though obviously it had a deeper meaning.

We. He had called them a we and seemed nothing but sincere about it and Penny’s mouth ran dry just as, luckily, a waiter walked past with a tray of champagne. If she could she would have stopped him and taken the whole damned tray there and then but she was nothing if not an advocate for subtlety. She drank half the glass rather more quickly than she probably ought to have done.

“It’s warm this evening,” she said defensively, despite the fact that Mr Lytton had offered no damnation. She glanced around the room, taking in the melee of gowns and young ladies and was struck by the fact that whilst many of them were looking at Mr Lytton, he was not looking at any of them. “Tell me, did you dress every woman in here?” She asked with a twitch of her lips, returning to usual form as a means of self-preservation. “In a manner of speaking of course.”
    Lady Penelope seemed flushed and Marcus couldn't help but wonder if that was a positive sign. She'd always been so calm and collected during the previous interactions, at least until he'd first shown her the dress. Then, something had changed. He'd seen how his gesture had stirred her. Could it possibly mean that she shared his feelings, to some extent?

He pondered on her question, wondering if there was some veiled accusation in it. That, say, he used the same trick on every woman. After all, it wasn't special for him to design a dress for a woman - that was his job.

"I do what is expected of my job," Marcus carefully replied. "But there are certain creations that go beyond that. Which are art." His eyes lingered on her dress' skirt. "This dress, for example. That's art." His eyes moved to meet hers. He tried to think of something witty to say, but all he could do was smile.
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

Penny recalled a time when they had spoken of art before and her lips twitched to think of how little regard she had possessed for Mr Lytton then. She had thought him boastful and arrogant and the sort of man who revelled in the praise of others: she had seen little to suggest that these things were false but now Penny found she liked them about him. Like them a great deal. Why shouldn’t one boast when making others so happy and beautiful? Why not be arrogant when no other designer working was quite so ingenious?

“I rather thought you might say that,” she said with cattiness that was in danger of becoming fond. What kind of designer would not like their own creation, no matter who it was on? But…well he had said it was for her hadn’t he and she had not asked for it, unlike his other followers – no, not other, she was hardly one herself! – which meant he had thought about her specifically in creating this art. This art that he was not looking at as he spoke so softly.

“I am glad to stand out from the crowd," she added with a supercilious smile. "My sister was incredibly envious."
       Ruby Urquart
    A smile played on Marcus' lips. He would never get tired of her teasing him like that. It never failed to send a flutter to his heart.

"I could make you stand out from the crowd," Marcus rather boldly proclaimed. He was feeling bold. She was wearing his dress, after all. She wouldn't have worn it if she didn't share his feelings!

"Would you like that, my Lady?"
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

As the youngest of three girls - the boys didn't count in quite the same category - and after years of being, if not an afterthought, then certainly of secondary importance as Peggy had debuted and married and Betsy had done the former, but not the latter as of yet, Penny certainly knew what it was to get a little bit lost in the crowd. Now that she had ever admitted that to anybody at all - nor was she likely to. Yet. 

Mr Lytton could not know how much the question touched her, nor the boldness with which it was asked.

“Doesn’t every lady wish to stand out?” She arched a questioning eyebrow as she noticed her glass was empty. How on earth had that happened? “Especially if she never truly has before.”
       Marcus Lytton
    Marcus was genuinely surprised by her confession. Did Lady Penelope really feel like that? He found it difficult to believe - she was a beautiful and strong young woman. How on earth could a jewel like her not stand out?

"You have been walking amongst the blind, my lady," Marcus commented. "I am appalled," he added with a charming smile.
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

There was no ignoring a statement such as that and Penny, despite her misgivings, felt a swoon in her chest that was…not entirely unwelcome. Mr Lytton – Marcus, as she had been refusing to think about him in her mind – had been an amusing man to needle and tease and somehow, despite the nature she knew herself to possess all too well, he seemed to actually like her.

“I am appalled by many things Mr Lytton,” she said candidly as she took a glass smoothly from a passing waiter and smiled back at him. “I shall list them for you one day.”
    Maybe it was the fact that he was feeling emboldened, but he caught a secret meaning in her words. Could she be hinting to a desire to spend the rest of her days with him? He would certainly like that!

"I would love that," Marcus said. "I would love for us to spend many days together. In the future." Oh shit, what did he actually say next? "We should get to know each other better, Lady Penelope. And then you could tell me all of those things. When we're courting."

Merlin Merlin Merlin.
       Penelope Humphrey-Mavis

Courting…were they…had they been…

Freddie had not courted like this had he? Her experience was admittedly limited but she had the impression there had at least been some kind of mutual decision about the thing, and she was sure Mr Sleptova had been involved. And Peggy’s husband – boring though he was – had spoken to their papa at length before it had been announced had he not? Granted, she hardly wanted to do anything like Peggy and her dull spouse but…

“Courting?” She repeated back with as much decorum as she could. Was it a joke? He had a sense of humour to be sure but he was not the sort to mock her unduly and this was… this was…

She drank her second glass of champagne as though it was about to be stolen from her and resisted the urge to lick her lips clean.

“I suppose there’s no better time to get to know one another,” she responded. If it was a jest then she refused to be caught in it – she would simply go along with it. Either way she felt adrift: on the one hand she was not at all sure how she felt about being courted but on the other she felt a sinking feeling at the very thought of it being a joke.
       Marcus Lytton
    Marcus was normally a man who could control what escaped his mouth. It was a skill he'd developed at Hogwarts, where he'd always been one of the smallest boys in his class. He'd been small and soft and artistic so that naturally made him the target of his 'manlier' peers. What had saved him from further embarrassment was his ability to pick the right words not to make a situation heated. Then, as a businessman, he'd had to give his customers just the right words to make them consider the more expensive options. 'Yes, the star effect will cost you more, but you will be the star of the ball!'

This part of his brain had been shut down.

He mentally cursed himself. That was not how you asked a lady to court her. He hadn't intended to do it that way, either. He'd wanted for it to be grand and ceremonial and witty. His desire for that outcome was so large, however, that he couldn't control what came out of his mouth.

"So you agree?" Marcus asked, his voice somewhat cracked in the end. "That we should get to know each other better? I would love that. To get to know you better." He was just repeating himself now, damnit! He gulped down some of his own champagne, before saying: "Please, do forgive me. What I am meaning to say is that I would love to court you, Lady Penelope. You have enthralled me since the day we met."
       Minnie Pendergast

The words that spilled from Mr Lytton’s lips were startling to say the very least and Penny admired, not for the first time, the boldness with which he spoke and seemed to do most things. Young men were usually vague to the point of being offensively annoying but Mr Lytton was certainly not that. He was many other things of course…

The notion of courting itself though was…not unpleasant. Mr Lytton was certainly an appropriate gentleman to pay her attention and there was nothing in him that her father could possibly find wanting – other than his lack of title of course but one made do within the magical world and she was his third daughter so the likelihood was that he wouldn’t mind too much – but Mr Lytton was in trade.

True he wasn’t selling oranges from a cart in the streets but still!

“I do agree,” she found herself saying, words forming on her numb lips that she felt were being controlled by an organ other than her brain. “Although I find it very unlikely that you were enthralled when I was teasing you in the theatre,” she added, her lips curving upwards slowly into a sly smile. She had certainly enjoyed it but she had always thought he must have found her highly irritating, and had never imagined herself to be the sort of woman he might be interested in.

“I might not become nicer, I should warn you now.”
       Ellory Pendergast
    So she remembered that time at the theatre - their first meeting? Marcus hadn't forgotten a moment of that interaction, but he hadn't presumed that Lady Penelope remembered. She'd never struck him as the over-emotional, over-sentimental debutante who gushed about things that had happened years ago. This was part of what attracted Marcus to the young woman, even if he himself was an emotional man. They did say that opposites attracted, right?

"I would hate it if you became nicer," Marcus offered with a wry smile. Her sharp wit was what had attracted Marcus. She was fun in that way. He'd have a partner in her, not a pretty, mute manikin to parade around at parties. This was why he'd not married so far. When he became a "catch", most of the women who approached him would look at him with awe. He liked that attention, as an artist, but he didn't want a fan for a wife.

"Stay exactly the way you are - you're perfect." His previous smile melted into a broader one.