Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Houston, we have a problem!
    Darling had caught a glimpse of Handsome's true feelings, his doubts. It had been for just an instant before his mask was safely in place again. Darling wasn't so talented as her brother to hide her feelings just yet. Her brow creased with worry for him as he kissed her forehead.

“And so I could never hate you,” she insisted adamantly.

She wished that she could speak for all her siblings, but Sweetie was still very upset with Handsome. While Darling didn't believe Sweetie hated their brother, she couldn't confidently say so. It was also something, Darling believed, that Handsome and Sweetie would have to conclude together.

“I know that you're responsible for us, Handsome, but we are your siblings, too. We're not meant to be just a burden to you. We're also supposed to help relieve burdens.” Darling looked at her brother most earnestly. “I know you probably will never do it—it's just how you are,” she continued with a rueful smile. “But if you ever need someone to confide in, I'm here. I'll listen!”

OWLs: CoMC & Ghoul Studies. Clubs: Potions & Dueling.

This precious set is by MJ!

PitaPata Cat tickers

"You are no burden to me, Darling," he insisted. "I worry that my lack of wisdom and maturity is a burden to you. You have no clue how desperately I wish I could be another three or four years older than you all; I would be so much better equipped to handle this sort of situation," he concluded, though he wasn't sure how confident of his own words he was. There was definitely a large gap of maturity between a seventeen-year-old and a twenty-one-year-old, but that had little to do with how a person handled such stress.

"I appreciate your offer, Darling," he thanked with a smile. He'd calmed himself down a little from his rage, though there were still little jolts of anger in his chest from the situation he'd handled less than half an hour prior. He needed a bath or a nap or something to relax him.

Charms & CoMC & DADA & Ghoul Studies & Transfiguration
    Handsome is in mourning until July 9th, 1888. Not that you needed to know this — I'm just reminding myself so I don't do anything stupid!

Darling bit at her lip, fighting back her concern. Her worrying or fretting over her brother’s well-being would only cause him more worry. He denied her being a burden, but she knew that she was. She knew that all of their siblings were a burden to Handsome. He was the eldest male and therefore responsible for them and their futures. If he didn’t find them to be a burden, he wouldn’t have wished to be older. He wouldn’t need to feel better equipped for his responsibility for them.

Even with their grandmother there, Darling knew that Handsome hadn’t really relinquished all of his responsibilities to her. But it was obvious why. Grandmother had little emotional connection or even attachment to her estranged grandchildren – and Handsome saw that. It wasn’t particularly difficult to not see. Darling had wondered if their grandmother’s relationship with her other grandchildren was just as detached, but Darling hadn’t bothered to ask any of her cousins. She hadn’t made any assumptions either. There was just too much going on with her family to bother with anything outside of it.

Burying her quiet frustrations deep inside herself, Darling offered a gentle but somewhat defeated smile in return to Handsome. She knew that he wouldn’t come to her. He’d try to carry all of his burdens by himself. The knowledge still didn’t stop her from hurting. She loved her brother almost like a child loved its father, but she loved him as her brother more. Couldn’t he forget that he was their guardian and be more like a brother again? Rely on them as they relied on him? He couldn’t shoulder everything! He was going to break if he did...

PitaPata Cat tickers

His sister's silent brought with it a bit of anxiousness. Had she not believed his words? Was she wondering whether or not he was a burden? He held his sister gently, his eyes looking down at her face with concern. She was one of the last siblings he had who he didn't worry about hating him when he lost his temper, the only other being Cupcake. He very much desired to keep her happy and safe.

"Are you alright, Darling? Please be honest with me," he whispered, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "I don't want to bring you anymore pain than I already have. I know I haven't been a good brother," he continued, his self-doubt growing by the second.

Handsome is in mourning until July 9th, 1888. Not that you needed to know this — I'm just reminding myself so I don't do anything stupid!

Darling leaned into her brother's arms, cherishing his embrace. She hugged him in return, keeping her arms around him. It was nice to have him near. It had been a long time—or so it felt—since Handsome had hugged her.

“Yes, I'm alright,” she answered, but then she paused for a moment. “I'm just worried about you,” she continued with worry in her voice. “You put too much on yourself, Handsome. And you don't really let us be of any help to you… I'm scared that – that something bad will happen to you.”

She knew that she probably sounded silly to him, but he had asked for the truth and so she gave it. She wished that maybe her words would somehow awaken something in him – something that would make him realize he was overexerting himself – that it was okay if he needed to lean on her—or any of their siblings(!)—sometimes.

PitaPata Cat tickers

The guilt that came from her words was tripled by the reality that he had considered allowing something bad to happen to himself — and worse, that he'd thought his siblings would handle his permanent absence without much trouble. The guilt on his face was evident, and Handsome tucked his sister's head under his chin to hide it.

"Nothing is going to happen to me, Darling," he said softly, stroking her already messy hair gently. "I would not — could not — allow you all to suffer even more." He wasn't even sure if he believed his words. They were fueled by a desire to see his sister smile once more, but he knew naught if he spoke them with true sincerity.

Darling chose to believe her brother’s words, though she still sensed a little doubt. While she never believed that he would off himself in any way, she was worried that something bad would happen to him – though what exactly she didn’t know. It was just a feeling that she couldn’t shake.

“Just promise me – if something does happen and you need help, talk to someone,” she encouraged quietly, giving her brother another squeeze.

She wanted his confidante to be her, but she knew it wouldn’t be. She knew it probably wouldn’t even be Cupcake. Maybe it would be Mr ------, Handsome’s friend. But so long as he had someone to tell his troubles to, that’s all that mattered.

Darling released her brother from her embrace, gently pulling away. She once again became aware of how awful she must have looked. “I should probably get washed up,” she said sheepishly, pushing away the feelings of hurt and injustice that were trying to shove their way back in. She had already made her decision about Miss Ruskin. There was no sense in losing her brother over an acquaintanceship, even though Darling still felt it a little unfair. Ultimately, she had made her choice and she would follow through with it.

PitaPata Cat tickers

Handsome thought he could promise at least that much. With a single nod, Handsome lowered his head and gingerly smoothed his clothes. He still felt embarrassed for yelling at his sister, despite the fact that their argument now seemed to be over. He knew she'd be hurting later on, but he hoped she'd forgive him for what took place here.

"I can promise that much, Darling," he sincerely responded. He nodded at her once again, this time to dismiss her from the room. He'd have a lot to think about, he thought, especially regarding the family's tension.