Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Promise Not To Tell

Elijah enjoyed Quidditch. Not because he had any sort of athletic ability at all or any inclination to play--on the contrary, the last time someone had invited him to a Quidditch skirmish he'd politely declined the ran the other way--but still, Eli enjoyed Quidditch. The reasons were as follows: one, his best friend Cash played Quidditch, and as Cash's best friend he had heard enough about the game to appreciate it and to enjoy watching it with Cash; two, like a proper little student he exhibited a healthy amount of house pride and team spirit, and Quidditch was one of the appropriate outlets of that; three, it was easy to enjoy something when your team was always winning, as Ravenclaw had been practically all year due to the ban; four, it was kind of thrilling to watch a bunch of muscular, athletic boys fly around at high speeds and throw things at each other.

Specifically, it was thrilling to watch Cash.

But Cash didn't know that. And he probably wouldn't ever know that.

Eli didn't dwell on it; picturing Cash growing up and getting married to some attractive young woman a few years younger than them and having children and living in a house just like his father's and working a desk job every day would only depress him. When Elijah tried to picture himself doing the same thing, he just about gagged. So it was best not to think about it, at least not yet. Instead, Eli wrapped his scarf around his neck a few times--it wasn't necessarily cold enough for a scarf but it was more of a house pride thing than a warmth thing, anyway.

He glanced in the mirror, then unwrapped the scarf once so that it didn't cover up quite so much of his neck. He exmained his appearance again, then decided he was finally satisfied--then changed his mind and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew that no one would care whether he looked good or not except him, but he couldn't help it.

Walking out of his dorm room with a smile on his face and a bounce in his step, Eli poked around in the hallway and stairwell for some sign of Cassius. "Hey, I'm all ready!" he called, hoping Cash wouldn't have been waiting for him too long.

The Beatles, for Sure
    I was late for this * late for that
    late for the love of my life
    but when I die alone * when I die alone
    when I die, I'll be on time

just to know your name

While Cash didn't find watching quidditch nearly as entertaining as playing quidditch, he certainly appreciated a good game. Not to mention that he was invested in this game - Ravenclaw was certainly playing in the final, but who they would be playing was a variable. And while Cash seriously doubted that the Hufflepuffs could reverse one hell of a bad season that much, if they beat the Slytherins the Ravenclaws could end up playing Gryffindor in the final.

Also, it was always fun to watch a game.

Cassius was far less concerned with how he looked than Eli was. He was just wearing a pair of clean school robes and a blue scarf for Ravenclaw. He waited in the staircase for his best friend, bending his wrists back and forth. As someone with a brief attention span and as someone that liked to be constantly occupied, Cash detested waiting, but if he liked a person enough he didn't mind it too much. Eli was among a brief list of people that he could be patient with (to an extent.)

Cash stopped leaning on the wall and grinned when Eli appeared. "Excellent," he said. He bounced slightly and hopped down the steps. "So, who do you think will win?" he called up the stairs, genuinely interested to hear what Eli had to say. Cah tended to obsess over tiny details too much to make his own predictions, but other people were certainly more capable.

Cash wasn't sure who he wanted to win. On the one hand, if Slytherin lost he would have new material to use in arguments with Tiberius. (Not that Tiberius seemed to care much about athleticism.) On the other hand, if Hufflepuff won Ravenclaw might end up against Gryffindor in the final, and Gryffindor was the one team they had lost to that season. So Cash left the predictions and worrying to other people; he was just in it for the game.

tag: here | outfit: here | notes: here

made by Emily exclusively for Charming
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]

Eli gave Cash a small smile, a little jealous--Cash always looked perfect. He didn't even try, Eli was pretty sure, and there were some moments when he knew Cash couldn't possibly have planned his appearance, like when he finished a Quidditch game and his hair was all wind-tossed and his cheeks were bright red from the exercise and the wind and the cold. No one could plan something like that, but Cassius looked good enough that he might as well have.

If only it was so easy for Eli. Oh, well; nothing he could do about it except try to look his best, which he generally did.

Eli considered Cash's question. His interest in Quidditch really ran exactly as deeply as it needed to to keep his friendship with Cash. He knew what Cash had told him, or what he needed to know to understand what he was watching when he went to see Cassius' games. When they were younger he'd sometimes pretended not to understand certain aspects so that Cash would have to explain them to him again, but that charade only worked so long.

"Slytherin?" he guessed. This was the logical assumption based on the season so far; Hufflepuff just hadn't done well. And they hadn't lost even half as many girl players as Slytherin had, so that was by and large inexcusable. Maybe their significant losses just made Slytherin want to prove they could still do it--he had seen the replacement beaters use methods he was sure were barely legal, but they seemed to be working.

Assuming that Eli understood the system correctly, Slytherin was probably the outcome Cash was hoping for; the last game hadn't been very pretty and none of them particularly wanted to play Gryffindor again if they were finally stretching their legs.

Eli bounced down the steps to get ahead of Cash, then turned and walked backwards so that he could look at his friend while they walked. "So--Mr. Cassius Lestrange, all-star Seeker extrordinaire, who do you think will win the game? Are you nervous about the Seeking competition on either team?" he said, playfully pretending to be a reporter, imaginary camera in hand to snap a photo or two.

just to know your name

Eli guessed Slytherin. Cash supposed that the guess did make more sense, logically, based on the season so far. He nodded, smiled, and accepted the answer. Guessing at anything wasn't really Cash's thing; if the answer wasn't definite, he got mired down in details until someone else guessed and he realized how simple it actually was.

Cash laughed at Eli's paparazzo imitation. "I guess Slytherin, like you said," he said, grinning sheepishly. "Unless the 'puffs have seriously rallied. But look at their season..." He made an 'I give up on that' gesture with his hands. Cash knew people who spent all of their time reading quidditch prospects and predicting, but he wasn't one of those people and probably never would be.

Cassius mimed talking into a microphone, as if he was giving an interview. He made his voice a tad deeper than it was normally; if pressed he would have said he was kind of imitating Claude or his father. "Well, I'd have to say that the Slytherin seeker could be a little bit concerning just because we beat them so long ago. Also, they beat Gryffindor and Gryffindor kicked our arses." He quirked an eyebrow playfully at Eli. Most of the bitterness over their loss had left Cash, although he was still irritated that Charlie Bones had caught the snitch, if only because Charlie Bones had about eight inches on Cash. He was even taller than Claude, and Claude was a giant!

Sometimes Cash supposed that part of the reason he and Eli had become friends in first year was that Eli was just a little bit shorter than him. Of course, they also had compatible personalities and Eli was easy to get along with, but if Eli had been tall Cash might not have been able to get rid of his class and blood purist biases so easily. (Sure, Eli wasn't a muggleborn, but Cash doubted that his father would approve anyways.)

"I sometimes wonder if it would be surreal to watch Ravenclaw play quidditch without me. Like if one day I was sick or something and they needed a replacement and I watched? That'd be weird. It'd be like our dorm without you or Chace," he said. This was one of the rambley-weird Cash thoughts that sometimes came out when he was around friends who didn't mind them too much.

set by MJ!

It made Eli happy that he could make Cash laugh. He wanted Cash to laugh more often in general; when it was just the two of them his friend was pretty happy, generally, but the bigger the group got the more tense he seemed to get. Especially if that group involved any of the other Lestranges, which Eli could understand... certainly not all of his "family" had been people he particularly enjoyed being around, but he didn't let that bog him down the way Cash sometimes did.

Eli furrowed his brow at Cash's description of the Slytherin seeker. He'd been used to thinking of Gryffindor as the ultimate enemy since they'd beaten Ravenclaw during the last game, but he supposed that might need to change--indeed, would need to change if anyone other than Gryffindor played them for the cup. Eli was well-versed in house pride; he knew how it worked. The week immediately before and after the Quidditch Cup game, you weren't allowed to have friends in the opposing house.

"So who am I supposed to root for today?" he asked, a little confused. "Are we hoping Slytherin goes to the next match, or Gryffindor?"

Not that it mattered much to Eli; he could barely keep the players on the other teams straight and he really only cared about one of the Ravenclaw players, but it would certainly be embarassing if they got to the game and he and Cash were booing and cheering at different things.

"They might as well just cancel the match if you got sick," he said bouyantly, "Ravenclaw can't catch a snitch without a Seeker." He knew, in theory, that there were alternates who replaced the team members in such cases, but he was convinced that no one, regardless of age, strength, or practice time, could ever replace his best friend out on the Quidditch field.

Struck by a sudden thought, Eli raised an eyebrow at Cash. "You're not planning on getting sick during the Quidditch Cup game, are you? Pretty sure our entire house would come hunt you down in your sleep. And Chace and I wouldn't be able to keep them out forever."

Eli knew that Cash would probably just about die himself if he missed the final game, without any help from their housemates. On the other hand, if Cash got sick, maybe Eli would get to bring him food and his homework and such and hang out next to the bed in all his free time to keep him company... But no, Cassius would still die if he missed the game, and that wouldn't end well for anyone.

just to know your name

Cassius paused for a second to think. He decided. "Slytherin," he said. "Because if we play Gryffindor I might not be able to speak to Ellory all summer, and family gatherings would be much more boring." Ellory was his favorite cousin, so that would have been disappointing. Also he supposed his relatives would prefer it if he cheered for Slytherin, but seeing as he wasn't on particularly fantastic terms with any of the ones in school he didn't really care.

Cash grinned at the news that he was needed. Sure, he knew he was important, but it was very rare that someone told him he was needed for any reason. (Even if that reason was, in the end, as unimportant as catching a snitch.) For someone who survived events with people he didn't like by trying to be inconsequential, Cassius liked to be needed.

He choked at the idea of missing the quidditch cup. "Merlin, no," he said. "Someone could cut off my foot and I'd still be going out there." If he was conscious, he would be playing quidditch. It was that simple. "And you're right, everyone would kill me. It would be brutal and bloody and I don't at all want to be in the papers for that and Ravenclaw house would be remembered as "the house that ripped a seeker to bits" until the mid twentieth century," he said, waggling his eyebrows at Eli.

"Nah, I wouldn't do that. It's just that in a few years we'll be gone and people will have replaced us. And there'll be new students in our dorm and we'll be adults or something," Cash said. He was actually pretty sure that the world would end before they became responsible adults with desk jobs and wives. The idea of himself sitting still and working all day was almost enough to make Cash laugh; he figured he'd be one of those upper class men that found weird hobbies rather than a job. (Unless he went pro in quidditch like his cousin Regan but, honestly, what were the chances of that?)

set by MJ!

Eli nodded at Cassius' decision. It had been what he'd been anticipating, anyway, but it was good to have it confirmed so as to avoid the awkward situation of not knowing how to react later on. Eli was often worried that he would do or say the wrong thing around Cash, despite the fact that he was more comfortable with Cash than with anyone; it lead to him overthinking basically everything.

"Or something," he joked when Cash brought up the inevitable graduation and growing up. Of course Eli had heard all about this--study hard for those OWLs, decide which NEWTs you need, plan your whole life right now or it will be too late--but honestly he didn't know anyone in his year who felt confident about their path in life yet, except maybe the upper-class girls who just wanted to get married and have money and kids. Eli should have put more thought into this than most--Cash was wealthy enough that he at least wouldn't starve if he needed some time to figure things out, but Eli couldn't exactly live on the street playing the violin for his whole life.

Truth be told, Eli had nightmares about the future--and not just his future, either. He had nightmares about still being a street performer when he was thirty-something, living in the same little shack in the Slums with the same rag-tag group of orphans, and he had nightmares about Chace having moved away to some cozy place in the countryside, and nightmares of Cash passing him on his way to work--Cash with a nice suit and a trim hat and a neck tie, who would kiss his beautiful airheaded wife and his two rosy-cheeked children and give his dog a pat on the head before he left his Wellingtonshire manor for his nice, comfortable, boring desk job at the Ministry. Cash would carry around a little moving picture of his darling wife and children in his pocket next to his silver pocket-watch and he wouldn't even look up as he passed Eli in the street, no matter what sad song his former best friend was playing. Because people like Cash and people like Eli could be friendly at school, but out in the real world, things were different.

Of course, none of that had happened yet, and if Eli had anything to say about it, he would stop as much of it from happening as humanly possible. He'd go and get the job at the Ministry at the desk next to Cash if that was what it took. He would follow Cash to the ends of the earth. But he'd never tell his best friend that, because of course the moment he did, Eli would lose him, probably forever.

Suddenly uncharictaristically depressed, Eli fell back into step with Cash. "We should go to the internship fair," he suggested half-heartedly. He had the sudden feeling that by this point he had waited too long--it was too late! His OWLs were in a month or so, and his class selection just after that--how could he plan for the future now? He was already doomed!

"Do you want to have kids?" he suddenly asked Cash, then blushed, knowing the question had come out of no where--but maybe if Cassius could just say no then at least that part of his nightmares could be alleviated. "I mean, not like we'd need to think about that any time soon. But, like--in the abstract--I guess--would you want a bunch of kids? Or just one? Or none at all?"

Of course, he was hoping for none at all, but he couldn't tell Cash that. That might make it too obvious.

just to know your name

"The internship fair," Cash repeated. He himself had no desire to go - his lack of ambition being as it was. His father was in the right about that criticism; Cash sometimes supposed that if he wasn't in Ravenclaw he never would have gotten any of his work done. As it was some of it still ended up being completed during breakfast. He had no real desire to go anywhere in life, except perhaps the professional quidditch thing, but that was hard and he doubted that it was family approved.

He also liked to solve mysteries, but he wasn't sure exactly what job that would entail. Department of mysteries? Nah, Claude might end up losing it and murdering him. Cash came to the conclusion that perhaps going to the job fair would be good for him. They did, after all, have their career conversations with their head of house at the end of the year and he supposed it would be good to know his options.

The kids thing was a bit out of the blue, but Cash accepted it. He cocked his head and thought for a minute. "I don't really... know? I mean, I'm not a huge fan of most of the kid Lestranges. Some of them are okay, though, so I guess... Huh." He wouldn't mind having kids like his little sisters, Ellory, or Valerian. "I'm sort of required to have two. 'Perpetuate the bloodline' and all that," he said, making a face at Eli. "No more than that, though. Kids are complicated." The idea of a miniature him was a bit scary, to be honest. This was just about the most complex thought process Cash had had that morning.

Never mind his future, Cash had no idea what the hell he was doing. He just planned on listening to other people and hoping that he didn't end up fucking things up too badly. Perhaps not the best strategy for life, but Cash rarely thought past the next quidditch game and fully expected to have a pureblood wife hand-picked for him by the age of twenty-five.

That was a strange thought, being married. He knew he would have to get hitched eventually, but something about it just seemed weird. Cash had never been particularly interested in girls; he supposed it was just because the ones he was around hadn't had their coming out balls yet. "Ah, I have no idea, mate. Getting married seems strange enough. All I can think of when I hear 'wife' is a small version of my mother and she never even talks. That'd be boring."

"What about you?" he asked suddenly. Hearing himself yammer about things he didn't understand was silly, he wanted to hear Eli's thoughts.

set by MJ!

Eli felt his face fall at Cash's mention to kids, but tried not to let his despair show. Of course, he should have known better than to even ask. He should have known what the answer was going to be; Cash was a pureblood, he was upper class, he was a Lestrange. People like him weren't allowed to stay bachelors very long.

And what about him? Eli hardly knew how to answer that. He didn't want to get married or have kids or get a real job, but he couldn't really come up with any "valid" reasons why he didn't want all that. Not reasons society would accept and not reasons Cash would understand.

"Well. I don't have a bloodline to perpetuate," he said, his voice morose but with a hint of teasing. "No one cares if little orphan Eli Swan with no money has an heir or not. So I guess that buys me some time," which was a better way of looking at it, he supposed, than thinking no one would go near me with thoughts of marriage with a ten-foot pole.

"Honestly, I can't get married until I have a job, and a house, or something. I mean, at least something a little nicer than... well, the Slums." He didn't want to get married at all, but if he did end up doing that, which he'd probably have to eventually, he certainly didn't want to take whichever poor girl had decided to be his wife back to some shoddy shack where the floor was just dirt and the rain leaked in through the ceiling. He wouldn't want to bring children into that life, and he hoped no woman would, either; still, that didn't seem to stop Slum-goers from having children almost more prolifically than the more stable families.

Eli sighed. "I dunno about kids. I like hanging out with them, and all, but I don't know if I need any, I guess..." He wrinkled his nose. "And I dunno who I would ever marry."

just to know your name

Cash had grown up with the ideal that people in the lower or middle classes had somehow gotten themselves there. He had abandoned that train of thought at the start of first year, after deciding that Eli was far more interesting than approximately three fourths of the upper class purebloods he knew.

The future was weird. He, Eli, and Chace would probably live in completely different parts of town. They might have different jobs. They might not ever be able to work on anything ever again. Cash might not get to play quidditch.

He had come to the conclusion that talking about the future depressed him. Cash reached a hand over to pat Eli affectionately on the head. Etiquette ingrained far into his brain refused to try and be more affectionate. "It'll all work out," he said, a Cash-statement that meant he was done talking about it.

"Did you see Aelius this morning?" Cash blurted. Aelius was the cat he had gotten before his first year, and was probably the only thing on the planet that Cash had managed to feed regularly. (He couldn't remember the last time he had gone a month in herbology without accidentally killing anything.) "Because she wasn't around and yeah."

Aelius was also notorious for hiding in strange places whenever she wanted to, but that didn't stop Cash from wondering where she was. Of course, he was one of the least organized people he knew, so she easily could have escaped his notice. It was just a statement for getting them off the future topic until they reached the stadium, where they would be relieved from the ability to have anything serious going on.

set by MJ!

It'll all work out, Cash said. Yeah, right, Eli thought. Let's just not deal with it some more, Cash. Let's just hope that suddenly we get transported to an alternate dimension where this is all okay. It'll all work out.

And yet, when Cash put his hand up and rumbled Eli's hair, the blond wanted so badly to believe that it really would all work out. It really would be alright. Somehow, hidden behind that debonaire fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants personality, Cash had a plan; someday he would ride out as a knight in shining armor and save the day and everything really would be okay.

But thing like that never really happened.

"She caught a mouse," he answered with a half-hearted smile and a small shrug. "And decided to eat it under my bed. I kind of chased her away when I woke up, I guess she was pretty sore. I haven't seen her since. But don't worry, Cash, I'm sure she'll come back. She always does."

They were reaching the grounds outside the castle now, and the sight of the bright sunlight, the feeling of the mild breeze, cheered Eli up a little bit, and his smile returned. The colors looked so much brighter on a Saturday--the grass looked greener, the sky bluer, the banners on the Quidditch field blazed house colors boldly. "Feel that sun!" he exclaimed, skipping ahead of his friend a few steps and throwing his arms out. "I love sunshine!" he exclaimed, turning back to Cash with a smile. "We should petition to have all our classes outside. Charms and Potions and everything. Can you imagine how much better Potions would be if we didn't have to walk through the Slytherin dungeons to get there?"

just to know your name
    Aelius had caught a mouse. Cash grinned with relief. "Good," he said. While his cat had managed to never lose herself permanently before, he knew that there were some terrible things in the Forbidden Forest that he didn't exactly want her meeting. Aelius was his only real company during the times when it was summer and he couldn't visit his friends and the extended family was around, he didn't want to lose her.

Cash grinned as they reached the outside. He loved it; the grass was growing, the wind was blowing, and he loved the feeling of sunshine. "Ooh, that's a good idea," he said, grinning at the idea. "All that light in potions would make reading the books a lot easier. And imagine how much more space we'd have for practical defense!" Also, the outdoors were just more interesting in general.

Cash skipped a few steps ahead. "It's sunny and it's a Saturday," he called, walking backwards now. "What could be better?" No school, no familial responsibilities, and his homework didn't need to be done until Sunday. Cash figured that after the game he could find somewhere to wedge himself and read mystery books, or maybe hang out with Eli some more. Maybe he'd even go looking for his stupid cat, but that'd probably make her even less easy to find.

"Ooh, you know what would be fun?" he asked, slowing down and turning back forward. "We learn about creatures in Defense, right? If we had classes outside we could go see them! I mean, I guess people can do that anyways in Care of Magical Creatures, but..." He trailed off. He only took Arithmancy as an elective, and that was completely different. "Hmmn."

set by MJ!

Eli laughed; only Cash could connect making potions in the sunshine with practical defense. He supposed his friend was probably talking about having Defense Against the Dark Arts outside, but Eli's first thought was of of Cash accidentally spilling some scalding potion on his partner, Penelope Borgin, and of her reaction being so violent that suddenly Cash was sent into cartwheels to avoid the flying fists and rogue spells. Practical potion defense!

The idea only made him laugh harder, especially when he imagined the rest of the class breaking out in chaos, food-fight style, with potion ingredients flying. Chace would be wearing essence of dittany as a hat, dried mandrake roots would get stuck in Amerie Bromley's hair, and Eli would be sparkling head-to-toe after being doused in fairy dust.

"Quidditch could be better," he said, still chuckling, not because he needed to see the match--he would be perfectly fine sitting here on the lawn watching Cash twirl around in the sunlight all day long--but rather because he knew that Cash would think the start of the game only a compounding joy.

"If we wanted to see vampires or those sorts of things, we'd have to have Defense class at midnight. And then we'd have to skip Astronomy," Eli said, with some sarcasm; Astronomy was hands-down his least favorite class and Cash knew it. "We'd hate to miss Astronomy. And what about our curfews?"

At this point, Eli stopped trying to reason and just gave in to his laughter. The situation was too ridiculous; now he was picturing a group of girls wandering through the forest looking for vampires at midnight, being viciously chaperoned by some of the grumpy female teachers, who were bitter about lack of sleep, and anxious that every twig snap might not be a vampire but rather a vicious teenage boy on the loose! It was all too much.

just to know your name
    Cash cackled. "Quidditch is always better." At least for him it was. Sure, he excelled in a few classes. Defense Against the Dark Arts held his attention. He was decent in potions, although he was sure that was half-because his potions partner jabbed him in the side every time he got off topic. (She had started doing this about a month into their first year, and he doubted she'd stop anytime soon. Sometimes Cash wondered why Penny Borgin didn't just join her cousin and make Cash find a new partner, but whatever.) He was clever in astronomy but didn't like it on principal; it made Eli unhappy, so he didn't like it either.

He just managed between A's and E's in the others. Quidditch was the only talent he really had.

"My days would be dull and empty without astronomy," he said with as straight a face as he could handle. "And curfew? Whatever would we do without our curfews?" As soon as Eli succumbed to laughter Cash did, too. He was endlessly amused by the fact that adults seemed to think that curfew was the only boundary between responsible young people and sexually active rebels.

"Adults don't know anything," he suggested once he had stopped laughing. Okay, sure, they could teach classes and heal the injuries he acquired playing quidditch in minutes. But when it came to Hogwarts students? Cash had no evidence that they had any idea what they were doing. They were used to dealing with the well-behaved ladies and gentlemen that respected class boundaries, but obviously that generation was starting to be phased out...

set by MJ!

Eli smiled at Cash's comment. Cash was probably referring to the curfew thing, but Eli knew that there were plenty of things adults didn't know. They didn't know about the rules that were broken behind their back, they didn't know about the curfew thing--and most importantly, they didn't even suspect that little sunny Eli Swan was breaking all the rules of their society from within the confines of his mind. Of course, it wasn't just the adults--no one knew. Not even Cash, and Cash knew almost everything about Eli, or at least, anything he'd shown half an interest in. Eli didn't keep secrets from Cash, but he didn't volunteer information, either. He'd never lied, per ce, but sometimes he avoided questions. Actually, if Cash ever flat-out asked him Do you like boys? Do you like me? Do you secretly fantasize about pushing my hair out of my face and kissing me and being able to touch my neatly-defined little six-pack? Eli would be forced to say Yes, yes, I do.

Luckily, Cash would never ask, and so Eli would never have to tell him, and they could go about the rest of their long lives so, so close and never really close enough

He should say something else.

"C'mon, stop goofing around and let's go," he said with a grin, starting off towards the Quidditch pitch. "You wouldn't want to miss them letting the Snitch out, would you? Just because you were busy doing cartwheels on the grass?"