Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

The End is Near
    Private Thread 
    May 16th
    The practical portion of the morning’s examination had gone, Castor thought, very well indeed. This was particularly encouraging, given that Defence Against the Dark Arts was the definitive pre-requisite for entrance into the Auror Training Program, and thus failing it would have completely shattered the Gryffindor’s dreams.

Still, as he sat outside the Great Hall awaiting his turn for the practical examination, the nerves rolled over him in waves, leaving the seventh year feeling quite queasy.

“What do you think they’ll have us do?” he asked Miss Sleptova in the hopes of distracting himself from the fact that his future was presently dangling over the edge of a cliff.

The two had never had a great deal to do with one another, but had grown closer since being bestowed with matching Head badges over the summer. Castor, by now, considered the one-eyed Ravenclaw to be a friend, though he would never have presumed to say as much aloud.
    @Petra Sleptova/@Ursula Black
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Castor Allaway's post:
       Ursula Black
    castor has several smallpox scars on his face and body that he kept hidden from years 2-4, but he is no longer self-conscious about them. your character might notice this change.
    [Image: 1jXFKWP.png]
    NEWT CLASSES: Charms, DADA, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, Transfiguration
    all hail the glory of stefanie

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.
    Pet was working herself into a exhaustive state and she knew it. Her revision timetable was rigorous to say the least. She was waking up extra early to practice spells in the unpopulated common room and then whatever other spare time she had was either spent in the library, the common room, or some other nook where she could fit her stack of books and not be disturbed. She stayed up late into the night studying and could count on one hand how much sleep she got on average per night.

It was a good thing she wasn't overly concerned with looking pretty for she had rather noticeable dark circles around her eyes by now. She had even almost fallen asleep during an examination the day before. She was most relieved when Mr. Allaway had struck up conversation with her for she was in terrible danger of falling asleep while mentally going through spells and wand movements in her head. The practical test was making her more nervous than the written, even if she usually performed well in both. There was even more pressure in this than the dueling tournament and she always did terribly there.

"It's hard to say, although I would imagine the more complex spells we've learned this year would be included." Pet was hoping the patronus charm wouldn't be one of them. She had cast a corporeal patronus on more than one occasion but she was so tired she didn't know if she had the mental fortitude to cast it at that moment. "What are the odds, do you think, that they'll ask to see a patronus charm?"
    MAY 16TH, 1886 | @Castor Allaway

Castor’s heart sank. A part of him had hoped that, as their professor’s daughter, Miss Sleptova might have a deeper insight into what lay ahead. He supposed the Ravenclaw would not look half so tense if that were the case, but his hopes on the matter had been high.

“If they’re looking for advanced spellwork, I would be very surprised if they didn’t,” the Gryffindor responded. “At least neither of us are likely to fail on that score!”

Both the Head Boy and Head Girl had successfully produced patronuses in the past, though if he was honest, Castor was not wholly confident he could do it under any sort of proper pressure.
    castor has several smallpox scars on his face and body that he kept hidden from years 2-4, but he is no longer self-conscious about them. your character might notice this change.
    NEWT CLASSES: Charms, DADA, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, Transfiguration

She smiled appreciatively but didn't feel the same confidence that he evidently did. "It makes perfect sense to test our ability to actually cast the spells we've been taught as well as our theory knowledge, but right now I'd take ten written tests over one practical!" Pet chuckled nervously and thought longingly of quills, parchment, absolute silence, and row upon row of segregated desks in the Great Hall.

Pet stifled a yawn and hoped desperately that she wasn't going to see herself perform as she did in the dueling tournaments. How she could do any better when the pressure was greater and her quality of sleep much poorer, she didn't know. Determination perhaps? A little more experience? More like luck.

"You're going into the auror training program, aren't you?" She had no doubts that he'd get the grade and make the cut, she'd been in enough classes with him over the years to know that he was perfectly competent.
    MAY 16TH, 1887 | @Castor Allaway

Castor had to agree. He had worked hard on the practical side of things to bring himself up to a high level, but was still better at the theoretical. Part of being the son of an academic, he supposed, but the Gryffindor did wish it had been the other way around!

“Yes, though not right away,” he answered her. “I hope to play quidditch for at least a couple of years first, while I’m still young enough to do so!” And before the life of an auror cost him a limb. After so many years deeply involved in the Gryffindor quidditch team, this could hardly come as much of a surprise.

Oh yes, quidditch! Pet found it quite easy to forget the Head Boy was that serious about quidditch when he performed so well academically. It almost seemed a waste to her that he should go in for professional quidditch at all, weren't quidditch players a dime a dozen or was that her lack of interest in the sport talking?

"I'm sure you'll excel at both." She meant it too; she couldn't say whether his quidditch playing abilities were on par with a professional's considering her lack of knowledge of the subject, but he did seem to do well at most things he set his mind to. "I wish I knew what to aspire to, all I seem to want nowadays is perfect exam results and a few more hours of sleep!" At least one of things was still relevant once she was out of Hogwarts. "I'm going to miss Hogwarts, what about you?"
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Petra Sleptova's post:
       Castor Allaway

Castor wondered if it wasn’t a bit silly for Miss Sleptov to worry so much about what she would do after Hogwarts. While she was bright enough that he was confident she would excel in any career she did choose, her family’s wealth meant that she would not have to take one on—and, in fact, that she might be rather eccentric for doing so.

“I almost miss it already,” Castor confessed. “That is, I miss Hogwarts as it was when we were younger, before ‘examinations’ and ‘the future’ became such worries to us! I did not have magic in my life before I came here, and so Hogwarts will always remain a very special place to me.”

The nostalgia was kicking in. Hard.

Pet couldn't imagine life without magic, it'd always just been a thing that was there, a constant in what had otherwise been a fairly inconstant world. People came and went, the family moved thousands of miles away where there was a new language and a new climate and new customs and culture, but magic hadn't left or changed.

"I can't say I know what it's like to lead a life without magic, but I do know that seven years is a long time to spend in a place. Hogwarts is a second home, not even that, it's a first home. We've all spent more of the last seven years here than anywhere else. It does seem a shame that our last months are marred by worrying and stress." The examinations weren't the worst thing in the world, in Pet's opinion, but the pressure she was putting herself under was draining. "I can't imagine not coming back in September, not having classes anymore, not ever seeing Ravenclaw Tower again..." Pet trailed off. At this rate they'd go in far too morose to even cast a non-corporal patronus.

"I think that's what I'll miss the most, the common room. I imagine the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor towers aren't the most dissimilar of common rooms considering where the others are located, but at least in Ravenclaw Tower it feels... It almost feels as though it's not even part of the castle. The decor changes, the whole atmosphere changes when you walk in. I remember the first time I saw it; I wanted to be in Slytherin so I'd be with my sister, but suddenly I was facing my first night away from home all alone, my English wasn't as good as it is now, and I didn't know anyone at all, walking in it looked like the handsomest library I'd ever seen and I knew then I was in the right place. It was even better the next morning when the sunlight was streaming through the windows." Pet smiled fondly at the memory and made a mental note to make sure she didn't take the common room for granted in the last few weeks.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Petra Sleptova's post:
       Castor Allaway

Castor couldn’t imagine wanting to live down in a dungeon, but he could see the allure of being close to family, close to the familiar.

“Gryffindor tower is more a home to me than Irvingly ever has been,” the Gryffindor confessed. “There, I am myself, but at home…I am almost a stranger that even I do not recognize.”

Pet couldn't imagine having to return home to live amongst muggles full time, in fact, she couldn't imagine living with muggles period. She certainly had sympathy for her classmate. Even muggles who knew of magic, it was such a intrinsic part of life to be so unalike and for it to come between family was surely worse.

"That must be hard," she murmured, empathizing with his situation although she couldn't say she'd ever been in that exact situation. She did dread returning home and staying there indefinitely, especially once Eva was married, but putting up with a step-mother she disliked and enduring high society didn't seem as sensitive a situation as his. "Maybe without the disruption of Hogwarts you'll start to settle in better, and having regular quidditch practice may help too." She offered him a small reassuring smile. "I hope so anyway."

“I hope so too, Miss Sleptova,” the Gryffindor agreed with a smile, “just as I hope the future holds good things for you as well!”