Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.
    11.10 Election update!
    11.07 We have Posting Wizards!
    11.06 A big announcement...
    11.04 Happy AC day!
    11.03 Banner time!
    11.03 Welcome to November!
    10.29 October is waning...
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    November 1887

Sidekick
    Private Thread 
    Quote:
    “Well it just occurred to me-
    The one that I need could be right here by my side”

Delight had tried to keep it to herself for as long as she could. It was bad enough hearing her sister’s reactions this morning from other Hufflepuffs, and having Ruby at least going out of her way to avoid her. She had thought she was doing the sensible thing- prior to meeting Miss Lovegood she had thought to sever her father’s tie with the girl anyway, so there had been no point informing her sisters.

But then she’d heard repeated to her some of the things they had said over lunch. Did they think her complicit in some vicious deceit? They could not honestly believe she was their Papa’s favourite, could they? Surely they were the ones he cared more about, for he had obviously planned to tell them in better circumstances than via letter and telling her to give up her weekend to meet Miss Lovegood. They had been favoured enough not to have to shoulder the burden of secrecy!

With no sign of RUby at least returning to the dorm and Lois nowhere to be found, Delight had stepped outside the castle for some air. The moment she was out of people’s gaze, however, it all became so much worse and the tears began pricking at her eyes. They were never going to forgive her, she knew it. She might have tried to escape down to the lake again, had she not spotted a familiar shape in one of the greenhouses where several students were working on their herbology projects. The Hufflepuff let herself in quietly and caught the Ravenclaw on the arm.

“Ben-” She began quite urgently, but her voice caught and the prickling tears began to fall unbidden. “They hate me.” Delight finished with a desperate whisper.
    @Benjamin Turner
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Delight Urquart's post:
       Ruby Urquart
    [Image: RAvtZl1.jpg]
    [Image: 2daa8ut.png]

Ben Turner was not a boy who was in tune with emotions—his or anyone else’s. Awkward to a fault in this regard, the moment he had heard the gossip about the Minister and Miss Lovegood, he had begun actively avoiding Delight for fear that she might be upset—and for fear that his uselessness might only make matters worse. Of course he felt terrible about this, but not terrible enough to change his behaviour. The look on the younger Miss Urquart’s face in the common room of late was enough to reassure him that his decision was a sound one.

He worked with Somersby to study for their Herbology practical, taking advantage of the fact that the practical component of their Astronomy OWL wasn’t until after dinner. He did not see her until she was almost-literally upon him, and anxiety seized his chest as he spotted the tell-tale sign of tears upon her cheeks.

“Not here,” he chided her gently, grabbing the Hufflepuff by the hand to lead her outside the greenhouse. Whether for his good or for hers, Ben couldn’t have said, but whatever was going on, it was best done out of the public eye.

This is a Téble

[Image: e1kQPQm.png]
    set by te
    Delight followed Ben as he led her by the hand from the greenhouse and it’s oppressive heat and out into the fresh air. With her free hand, she batted at the rogue droplets drying on her cheeks and took a deep shuddering breath.

“I’m sorry-” The witch broke off suddenly. “How is Topaz?” She asked breathlessly. It was just like her to not think of her sisters first- maybe they were right about all of this. Had she really been such a bad sister? “I haven’t seen her since- since- I’ve not seen either of them- and I heard-”

“Never mind Miss Topaz,” Ben chided the Hufflepuff gently, procuring his handkerchief from a pocket of his robe and offering it to the girl. “What about you?”

Benjamin dared briefly to meet her eyes and then immediately averted his own. He had never before witnessed Delight in such a fragile, vulnerable state, and it was decidedly at odds with the force of nature with whom he typically spent his time.

This is a Téble

set by te
    The Hufflepuff took the proffered handkerchief and dabbed at her eyes, the tears not having quite stemmed still. “It is about Topaz though.” She insisted. “And Ruby too.”

She took a shuddery breath. “You know what they’ve been saying about my Papa- the twins have been avoiding me- and apparently they blame me for it- for not telling them about it. I’ve overheard what the others have been saying.”

He knew precisely what had been said of late about the Minister of Magic and his Miss Lovegood, but felt it would not be ideal to express that all too strongly, given what an awful friend he had been of late.

“But how could they be so foolish as to blame you?” the Ravenclaw asked in confusion. He was not overly acquainted with Miss Ruby, but he had enough of an impression of Miss Topaz Urquart to think the younger eagle had more sense than that.

This is a Téble

set by te
    ”Because Papa took me out of the Hogsmeade weekend the other week.” Delight explained tearfully, dabbing at her eyes again. Oh Merlin, she could have avoided all of this, all of it! “I met Miss Lovegood then and Papa told me I could stop it all if I wanted. But I didn’t get time to make up my mind and then Witch Weekly found out and Topaz and Ruby know that I went and they think I want this and-” She gasped, losing what composure she had had with each progressing word.

Girls. It sounded terribly as though the twins were being ridiculous—and hurting his friend in the process. The Ravenclaw put a reassuring hand on the other prefect’s shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

“You must compose yourself. I-I want to help, I do, but I’m rubbish at these sorts of things,” Ben admitted sheepishly, concern still in his eyes. Emotions had never been his strong point, a fact that had been to the boy’s detriment. “Regardless of what your sisters think, you must know you’ve done nothing wrong. Your father was always going to remarry, with two children not even at Hogwarts yet, and it shows he has great respect for you if he has given you a say in the matter!”

This is a Téble

set by te
    Of course- poor Ben, being dragged into this, when she was such a mess! “I’m sorry.” Delight sniffed, looking up through her tears. The whole situation was a bit of a mess. When she was the head editor of the Daily Prophet she’d never allow any stupid magazines of rivals to be so senseless and ruinous and many families would be spared this pain.

“I don’t think they’re half as sensible as you, Ben.” She pointed out with a weak smile. “Papa involving me looks rather like favouritism when you’re one of six.”

“You are lucky to have me, then,” he joked weakly, “if that much is true.”

Ben himself knew full well the sting of sibling jealousy and what parental favoritism looked like, and had little doubt in his mind that Delight hadn’t been favoured so much as born first. But jealousy was an uncontrollable monster nine times of ten—and so her sisters could likely not be convinced of that fact.

“I know it’s awful now, but give them time—I am sure they will both come ‘round.”

This is a Téble

set by te