Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Make Earth Magic Important
    Heeey!

I'm in the process of making the Earth Magic professor. Because whenever we've had them played we were always like "... but what is this class about??" I have the following suggestion:

Make Earth Magic a needed class if you want to take Alchemy. Hear me out: Now that I've gone to uni, we have some classes that we need to take before we take the more advanced one. For example, you need to have taken Natural Anthropology to take Osteology. Seeing that Earth Magic has to do with rocks and stones and such, and a big part of Alchemy does involve making gold and using stuff that comes from the Earth, I thought that it wouldn't be completely ridiculous for Earth Magic to provide knowledge people would need for Alchemy. Also, that way it'd actually have a reason to be around and the goverment wouldn't need to pay extra money to have a claas around that nobody needs or takes. ;)

Lessons would include stuff like:
    1. Which stones is the Philosopher's Stone closer to?
    2. Which stones might one need to make gold?
    3. Making of talismans with various stones and gemstones and stuff.

Thoughts?
    @Odira Potter @Ursula Black @Elsie Beauregard @Elias Grimstone @Theseus Greengrass @Barnabas Skeeter
    [-] The following 2 users Like Ellory Pendergast's post:
       Circe Podmore, Violet Wiltingham
    I feel like its not really defined so it gets over looked, I've sort of head cannon'd it as also really necessary for herbolology and potions as well. But I agree that earth magic should be more of a 'staple' magical discipline, like you can't do NEWT alchemy, herbology, or potions without having taken OWL earth magic, because there is too much foundational knowledge that is part of earth magic that is taken for granted at NEWT level.

Your point about alchemy is well made, and arguably would have some connection to potions, as stones, and talismans would be used in potion making as well.
    So Potion A requires a talisman to be left soaking in the brew for a full moon cycle - Meserimus isn't going to teach you how to make that -he presumes you know how to make it, and just rocks on in showing you how to use it in potion making!

There is bound to be a earth magic/herbology connection otherwise every muggle would have lots of magical plants in their garden and the ministry would have a fit because they could stumble on something they shouldn't (like gillyweed and breathing underwater), something that doesnt need magic to use, and is just about ingesting.

I feel like some sort of magic is needed to cultivate a magical garden, rather than just a plain ol'garden

Herbology is knowing the magical plants, earth magic is related to what you need to do to the soil in order to allow you to grow magical plants
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Circe Podmore's post:
       Marcus Lytton
    [Image: I8yPYP.png]
    Nolan sets are <3
    I like this sound of all of this!
    Rune keeps spoiling me unexpectedly with graphical wonders

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I like this idea as long as Earth Magic is only required for Alchemy; I'm opposed to requiring it for potions/herbology because they're core classes which build more off of each other and which are taken for at least 5 years. (And would require a LOT more retconning than just requiring it for Alchemy.)
    [-] The following 3 users Like Cassius Lestrange's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Elsie Beauregard, Ophelia Dippet
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    What Beanie said! If it's required for other stuff I'm going to have to reconsider my characters' classes and scores and I don't wanna.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Cassius Lestrange
    I mean we could say that Meserimus requires it from this year , last year he was such a last minute replacement that he didnt mess with the requirements of the syllabus but this year he's spreading his wings. I'm open either way, but basically I'm saying, I'm open to intigrating earth magic into the sylabus in a little more intrinsic fashion, and if potions can help, then so be it.

Perhaps - he requires an O in potions at OWL, but will accept E if the person has earth magic of grade E or above - something to that effect. Whihc might be easier to introduce
    [-] The following 2 users Like Ginevra Blackwood's post:
       Odira Potter, Theseus Greengrass
    Ginevra has just been the first woman to fly around the world solo - you may be aware of this

[Image: 9yupVVd.jpg]
    Beauty by MJ!
    I'm down for it as a prerequisite for alchemy, but not potions/herbology. It's an elective, I don't it can't be a prerequisite for a core class.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Elsie Beauregard's post:
       Cassius Lestrange, Ellory Pendergast
    words cannot describe this set by Stef ♥
    [Image: oTMsdz.gif]
    [Image: 2emz8zq.png]
    I'm in agreement for it being a pre-req for Alchemy and also like how Dante presented it in terms of the policy's introduction, along with the need to make it required to appease the government xD. I feel like a school, regardless of its caliber, would seek to find ways to intertwine the subjects to make them worthwhile (as stated) or get rid of them completely to fund other areas. Seems logical enough!
    [-] The following 2 users Like Theseus Greengrass's post:
       Ellory Pendergast, Odira Potter
    Last year of undergrad + internship + lack of muse = a very inactive Nolan. If you need anything, please send me a PM on this account or Skype me!
    Have a character who would like a pseudonym, wouldn't like to be featured, or has no issues with being mentioned in Witch Weekly? Check out this thread!
    [Image: INGAcQ.png]

I like Dante's compromise of requiring going forward!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Ellory Pendergast

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    Is this for requiring for Alchemy or Potions? B/c I'm fine with Dante's compromise of an E in potions is fine if you also have an E/O in Earth Magic, but not for flat-out requiring Earth Magic for NEWT Potions; I feel like that would get too difficult for people who need to take 6+ classes for careers, like healers/aurors.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Cassius Lestrange's post:
       Ellory Pendergast
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    I agree to not making Earth Magic so important for NEWT Herbology/Potions. We could say that it gives an edge to those who've taken Earth Magic, but it's by no means necessary to continue?

As for Alchemy/EM, is it a thing? I'm a bit confused though - do we make it a thing that has been around since the beginning of time or is it a new development?
    Just going to throw this out there, but, I headcanon that Earth Magic is very similar to wand-making; certain woods contain certain magics and personalities, and I feel that some rocks do as well, or rather, those who are super good at Earth Magic are capable of deciphering certain emotions/temperments from rocks and the earth.

Plus, if you're out there talking to rocks and shit-- that makes for an awesome character.
    [-] The following 3 users Like Violet Wiltingham's post:
       Cassius Lestrange, Ellory Pendergast, Ophelia Dippet
    [Image: rIPEOxP.png]
    Professor Wiltingham is a severe old lady with an unfortunate desire to say what  is 
    on her mind, though one must credit that to her age.  She uses a cane to walk, and
     should you require a bit of extra-credit, one must simply persuade her with sweets.
    [Image: DFw5U7K.png]

ALCHEMY: O in potions or E in potions and earth magic. Doesn't fuck over anyone who's not taken EM before now but gives them an advantage on getting in over those who choose not to. Sound good? :)
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Ellory Pendergast

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    The transmutation of metals to gold is only one goal of the alchemists, they also is committed to the study of the composition, structure and magical properties of the four basic elements, as we see with the canon Persian alchemist whose advice on the correct measurement of "fire" was referenced in a block of text featured on the back cover of the book The Decline of Pagan Magic by Bathilda Bagshot, a movie prop from HP 7 Part 1. So Earth Magic sounds definitively like a pre-stage alchemy thing.

[-]
    Quick Reply

Human Verification
    Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Minister of Magic? Aeror 3 305 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM
    Last Post: Aeror
      Underage Magic Question Nola Haskett 5 1,492 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
    Last Post: Niall Donovan