Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    09.24 A wild election deadline appears!
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!

Hogwarts Hold'em
    See Inside... Thread 
    April Challenge! Open to 4-6 others!

Yes, Hudson Pine, a skilled card player at only fifteen, didn't know how to play poker. In his defense, poker tended to be played by rich, posh men at clubs intended only for them. Hudson had only walked out of such a club and he could only imagine what it was like inside. His mental image involved fat, sharply dressed men who drank whiskey like water and could barely breathe due to all the cigar smoke.

It was a nice day out and Hudson and some other students had gathered up outside to get some sun. They'd played a card game all of them had known, until one of them suggested they play poker. Neither Hudson, nor the other students knew how to play it. As such, that student had offered them an explanation and they were now about to play their first deck.

"Don't even try!" Hudson teased the person next to him who'd tried to catch a glance of Huson's hand.
    [Image: 353cglw.gif]
    also going for the april challenge stamp!
    Ignatius really wasn't the sort for gathering up with his fellow students but he'd felt like doing so for once. It was rather nice, he supposed, and he wouldn't mind doing it again. Ignatius was always being told that he needed to get his nose out of the books and experience life outside them as well so he thought that this made a fine first step.

His attention perked up when it was suggested that they poker next. He didn't know how to play the game but he was pretty sure that his brother and father did. He also suspected that was where a lot of the food money went. Ignatius couldn't help curiosity so he was willing to be taught how to play the game.

Ignatius looked down at his cards, not quite sure he understood what they were supposed to do with them next. He wanted to suggest a wager since he thought that was what people did with poker but didn't want anyone thinking he was some degenerate gambler.

"What comes next again?" He asked of his fellow poker novices.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ignatius Quirrell's post:
       Ellory Pendergast
    owl electives; ancient runes, ancient studies, muggle studies
    clubs; charms, transfiguration
    [Image: mNBL9m.png]
    [Image: I9Swzd.png][Image: IyGtyD.png]
    "I think we're supposed to make like... pairs," Hudson replied. "And if yours is better than mine then you win?" Their classmate had explained it like that. Kind of. He remembered the words 'pairs' and 'flush'. They'd also went on about how in this poker game you did that and in that poker variation you did this, so Hudson honestly felt a bit confused now.

"I have a pair of sevens?" he offered and set them down.
    "Ah," he said when Pine answered his question. He didn't have any pairs. Just a random bunch of cards. "There seems to be quite a bit to this, don't you agree?" He asked the Ravenclaw since he seemed to be just as puzzled about all this as Iggy was. "I have nothing which means I lose this hand." Setting the cards down, he didn't even have a flush. Or so he assumed anyway. Ignatius was tempted to suggest they switch to exploding snap. He wasn't good at that game either but he at least mostly knew the rules to it.
    "I'm sure it's super fun when you get the hold of it," Hudson replied. Then again, he was a board game lover. He enjoyed every kind of card game, as long as he knew how to play it and he had good opponents. "Maybe the library has some book on it."

A book on poker. At school. Hudson snorted.

The boy had laid his cards down and he was followed by the other players, Hudson included. Naturally, their 'teacher' won that hand. That lead to the birth of an argument between him and one of the other kids.

Hudson turned his attention back to the boy he'd began bonding with over their inability to play poker. "So do you generally play cards or?"
    "Hm, probably not the library but one of the bookshops is likely," Ignatius said in a thoughtful tone. After all, they sold that Josephina Flint book about how purebloods shat rainbows and glitter or something. Not that he'd really know since he'd never had cause to seek it out.

Iggy watched in mild bemusement as a tiff began. He was no referee since he didn't know squat about the game to be saying whether or not anyone was cheating.

"Not really. I tend to spend most of my time reading. I do know a bit of exploding snap."
    He saw no need to mention that he tended to have horrid luck with it. Really, it was a bit embarrassing when one considered that Exploding Snap was pretty simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
    See Inside... Thread Murder on the Hogwarts Express Guppy Travers 2 503 09-02-2016, 09:55 AM
    Last Post: Cecily Carmichael
    Open Thread Please Hold My Wand Savvas Emberton 3 354 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM
    Last Post: Tessa Grey
    Open Thread Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace Beatrice Lancaster 3 713 06-03-2016, 04:47 AM
    Last Post: Ligeia Baudelaire
    See Inside... Thread How Many Wonders Can One Cavern Hold? Minnie Pendergast 9 1,523 03-12-2016, 11:48 AM
    Last Post: Nephele Lestrange I
    See Inside... Thread Hogwarts Airport Regrets Delays Due To Inclement Weather Ambrose Bell 23 2,160 10-21-2015, 05:34 PM
    Last Post: Arietta Cresswell