Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '86
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    07.23 Your stamp collection is about to get bigger!
    07.21 Calling in the banners!
    07.15 The rubble has been cleared and deadlines loom!
    07.10 Not one, not two, but THREE more stamps to add to your collection~
    07.09 New Account Change Feature!
    07.09 Disaster strikes!
    07.08 Charmers go above and beyond...
    07.07 Pop-up protest and photobucket things
    07.06 Photobucket emergency! Read me!
    07.04 A plot is afoot ;)
    07.01 July has come! Group threads are coming!
    06.30 Photobucket has gone rogue. What does this mean for you?
    06.24 AC incoming!
    06.15 Prefect season has begun!
    06.13 Abilities, adoptables, and notes on the CML
    06.11 Prepare yourselves - June 15th is coming!
    06.09 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHARMING!
    06.03 Networking has been cleaned up.
    06.01 New skins! Not kidding!
    06.01 June reminders!
    05.31 New skins...
    05.28 Students, get to work!
    05.27 A brief activity check reminder!
    05.21 Networking spring clean imminent!
    July 1887
    SWP7 is live!
    07.01 - 07.31 Posting Wizard
    07.01 - 08.31 Camp Charming
    07.01 - 07.09 Wizarding World Market
    07.05 First Prefect Application Deadline
    07.15 Second Prefect Application Deadline
    07.29 Hogwarts Prefects & Heads Announced
    07.31 Another Lytton Ball
    And More!

Elephant Rides
    Private Thread 
    @Eliza Tremlett/@Imogen MacFusty
    It was a lovely April day and Hwan was even more full of energy than he usually was. This fact was most likely the reason that his governess had decided that an excursion to the zoo in Irvingly was in order. Hwan had actually never been there before so this was going to be an entirely new experience for the young boy. Hwan was overly excited and his governess could barely keep up as soon as they had arrived.

Staying on the 'muggle' side of the zoo for the time being, Hwan looked around at all the animals. These were the non-magical animals but they were still quite amazing. They had been informed that it was permitted for people to ride the elephants and that had Hwan quite eager for his turn. Waiting in line to ride one of the two elephants, Hwan looked around at his surroundings, looking and everything that was of interest from his current perspective.

set by the fabulous nolan!

@Tristan Michaud
    @Hwan Moon
    This post just seemed to escape from me, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to get this long. xD
    The day was cool and sunny as Eliza and one of her aunt’s older charges, Edythe, wandered about the Irvingly Zoo. Having lived in the little town for nigh on three years now, it certainly wasn’t Eliza’s first time visiting, but it also never failed to entertain her - particularly where the magical side of the menagerie was concerned. Some of the animals native to the wizarding world were just so strange - fascinating, but strange, creatures she’d never believe would have existed before because she’d only ever heard about them through mythical tales and folklore. Like the hippogriffs, for example, a legendary creature with a front of an eagle and the hind of a horse who could supposedly be able to fly around the world to the moon and back. Looking at the large creatures now, lazing about in their pen, they certainly didn’t look like they’d be equal to the task, but Eliza also didn’t doubt that they’d be able to travel long distances if they put their minds to it.

But Edythe soon wanted to move on, and despite her slight protest - the baby hippogriff was adorable! - Eliza followed the older girl to the non-magical side of the zoo. Eliza knew of her discomfort with magic, and yet Edythe had complied with her wishes to explore the magical side anyway, and Eliza thought it only right to give her the same courtesy, so away they went. The two of them mainly stuck to the mammals, sightseeing giraffes, bears, monkeys, and all sorts of others, finding amusement in their little quirks and pointing out different details about each. Why, she had even witnessed one of the monkeys steal a man's tophat! The poor man had been very confused indeed, and Eliza had had a hard time masking her giggles behind her hand as she watched him look around in bewilderment, but Edythe had pulled her away before she could find out what happened next.

When they came to the elephants, Eliza's eyes widened slightly - she'd almost forgotten about this! - and she whirled around to face the other girl. "Please, Edythe," she begged, jutting out her lower lip. They both knew that her great-aunt would never permit to her riding the elephants - it looked far too unsafe in her books, though surely what her aunt wouldn't know won't hurt her?

Edythe, herself, looked at the majestic animal in distrust, and Eliza worried that she too, would say no, but she was pleasantly surprised when the other woman heaved out a defeated sigh, and with slight nod of her head, agreed to it. "But not a word to Josephine, do you hear?", Edythe said sternly as they made to take their place in line, but Eliza was so excited - both by the prospect of taking an elephant ride as well as the anticipation of trying something new - that she wouldn't dream of mentioning it to Great-Aunt Josephine, and she nodded enthusiastically at the request as she fell in line behind a boy.

He looked to be about her age, and just as eager as she was about the attraction, so she smiled brightly at him. "Isn't this exciting?," she asked, looking on as another pair of riders were lifted onto their elephant. "I've always wanted to try it!"

Words: 546
    Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thanks!
    [Image: xIUTSwW.png]
    avatar & signature created by the talented olive
    Hwan wanted to explore more of the zoo but he also did not want to lose his spot in the line-up. So, he settled for watching what he could see from his spot. There were a variety of animals and he wondered how Mister Podmore had found them all. To Hwans eleven year old mind, the amount of animals in the zoo seemed quite a lot for the two years or so that the zoo had been open to the public. It didn't really occur to him that the man might have had some of the animals for quite some time.

Hwan turned as a couple of girls fell into line behind him. "Oh, indeed," he replied cheerily. "This is my first time here. Are you here often?" He asked since she had made it sound like she had been here many times before. "Do you think it's true that elephants like peanuts?" If they did, then he felt bad for not having brought peanuts along with him.

Hwan thought nothing of talking to some girl he had never met before as if she were already his friend. His keeper made a small noise in her throat that was probably either a discouragement or an reminder to do a proper introduction of himself but Hwan wasn't paying her a lick of attention.

"Oh! Is it really?," Eliza asked, brows raised with slight interest, smiling at him. "It's a fascinating place, isn't it? I've only been a handful of times, and each time, there's something different I've never noticed before!" Which made the excursions all the more entertaining, and it was a wonder that the zoo's owner could fit everything in! She supposed that magic must have something to do with it, though Irvingly's restrictions must certainly make it hard to do so.

At the boy's question, Eliza's gaze traveled back over to the elephants, studying them curious. "I'm not sure...," she answered slowly. "They're quite large, I doubt peanuts would be very filling." Though that didn't take into account taste, which they could certainly like even if it didn't satisfy their hunger, but she could barely mention it before Edythe cleared her throat and gently nudged her to mind her manners. Which initially had made her confused until she'd looked up, and Edythe had made a slight gesture to her new acquaintance.

Oh! Of course!

"I'm Eliza, by the way," she introduced in the same bright tone. "Eliza Tremlett."

Words: 187 | Tag: Hwan - @Tristan Michaud
    "It is! I never had the chance to attend before," he replied. He was making up for last time quite well much to his caretakers chagrin. And there was still so much more to see and he was very much looking forward to getting familiar with the zoo. It would probably be so much more fun if he didn't have the hindrance that came with his disapproving caregiver.

He nodded in agreement when she said that the peanuts probably wouldn't be very filling for the large animals. He smiled brightly at the girl introduced herself as Eliza Tremlett. "Nice to meet you. I'm Hwan Moon." He hoped that they could become great friends. "Do you enjoy animals a lot?" So far, the answer seemed like it would be a yes but then again, it could also only be a zoo thing for her.

@Tristan Michaud
    @Hwan Moon
    "Is it really?," Eliza asked with excited interest, brown eyes widening slightly. "Oh, there's simply so much to see! Have you been to the magical side yet?  It's really quite fascinating if you haven't!" She had to wonder if perhaps, he was quite like herself, only recently introduced to the idea of magic. A part of her simultaneously hoped he was new to magic or that he wasn't because it would be nice to have a friend to share these new experiences with, but at the same time, it would also be nice to have a friend who had more experience with it than she did! She didn't come across nearly as many magical children as she'd like!

Moon - how whimiscal! Certainly a far more interesting name than Tremlett - or even Mary Elizabeth - at least he'd stand out. "Pleased to meet you, as well," she responded, smiling, "and I like them well enough! The magical ones are my favorites, though." Curious, she asked, "Do you have a favorite animal?"

Words: 169
    "Really, really," he confirmed with a slight laugh at her reaction to learning that it was his first time in the zoo. "I have not been," he said when she asked if he had seen the magical side of the zoo. He hoped that there would be crups in it. Then again, they really weren't more unique than dogs so that was unlikely.

"Crups! I would love to have one. They really aren't much different than dogs but you need a license or something like that." He didn't fully understand the legalities surrounding crup ownership but he was rather determined to have one someday.

@Tristan Michaud
    @Hwan Moon
    "I would love one myself," Eliza said agreed, nodding, "but I doubt my great-aunt would allow me to have one." If she couldn't bring it to Hogwarts where she'd be able to keep an eye on it throughout the school year, she very much doubted that Aunt Josie would let her keep it. Which was a shame because Edythe was allergic to cats, so that was out of the question, owning an owl would be interesting she supposed, and a toad was, well... a toad. But how great would it be to have a pet Niffler, or perhaps even a Puffskein!

"But you really should go visit the magical side," she pressed cheerfully for the last time. "You'd see so much more than the normal animals -" like the elephant whose line they were waiting in, creeping closer and closer to the main event as they spoke "- like Hippogriffs and Fwoopers! I think I'd like to own a Fwooper one day." There were just so colorful! "But until then, I think I'll get an owl for school; are you in Hogwarts, by any chance?" Eliza asked, looking at him curiously. He seemed to be about her age, but she wouldn't be surprised if he was a year or two younger - or even older - than her.