Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

and even when your hope is gone
    http://i42.tinypic.com/34dpw.jpg); border: 10px solid #f9f5f1;">

gimme sympathy,

I'll remember someday all the chances we took. we're so close to something better left unknown.

It certainly could have been argued that Cassius Cicero Lestrange should have been doing something productive - certainly he had enough homework to do, what with it being OWL year and all that. But doing homework would require far too much concentration, and it was a perfectly nice day out. (His grades were fine, anyways, and essays could wait until it was later and the weather wasn't so tempting.)

So he had nabbed a quaffle from the Quidditch pitch because it was empty and if he lost the snitch somebody would kill him. Now he sat, leaning against a tree and throwing the ball up in the air solely for the purpose of catching it. If he felt like it later he'd head to the pitch to practice some maneuvers on his broom, or maybe even do some quick snitch chasing. The game in a few days would settle who would play Ravenclaw in the final, although based on Hufflepuff's poor season Cash was willing to bet on Slytherin. (Unless, of course, the 'puffs rallied and defeated the Slytherins enough for Gryffindor to be in the final.) He wasn't too concerned either way; Ravenclaw was in great shape.

He wasn't sure how he felt about playing his father's house; would Lucius Lestrange root for his son, or the Slytherins? Sure, they had beaten Slytherin back in December, but this was different. This was the final. At least Tiberius was not on the quidditch team to completely sway his father that way.

To say that Cassius had problems with Tiberius was an understatement. Tiberius was, personality-wise, about as opposite to Cash as one could get, and Cash was convinced that Lucius preferred his cousin. Well, whatever. At least Cash's father hadn't gone crazy and killed a dozen people. A ha ha ha.

Cassius was tossing the quaffle from hand to hand when he spotted the all-too-familiar form of his cousin. With a careful jerk of his wrist - if he was larger he would have been a half-decent chaser - Cash sent the quaffle flying towards Tiberius. "Heads up, Lestrange!" he called half-heartedly. Maybe the quaffle would give Tib a concussion and knock some emotions into him; that would certainly be amusing.

DATE: 4/01 | TAG: Tiberius | OUTFIT: nu | NOTES: HURR. | WORDS: 371
    TEASPOONS @ CAUTION 2.0
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]

Tiberius didn't honestly enjoy being outdoors much during the day--not that he had anything particularly against it, but he didn't share so many of his peers' love of the sunshine or open air, and the bugs were obnoxious enough that, given the choice, he would rather do just about anything he could potentially do outside in the shelter of his common room or the library.

This did not, however, change the fact that his fellow students seemed determined to spend just about every sunny afternoon studying in the grass, being eaten alive by mosquitos and catching colds and other obnoxious things. He was venturing out just for a minute--he needed to get his notes back from one of the boys in his Transfiguration class so that he could finish his paper--and hopefully it would be a nice, event-free trip outdoors.

Of course, it couldn't be that simple; Tiberius hadn't even managed to locate the boy he was looking for yet, though he knew he was out here somewhere, when he heard someone call his name. He looked up just in time to see a large ball--one of the things they used for Quidditch? Quiffle? Quaffle--flying towards his head. He tried to duck, which meant that the large ball missed hitting him squarely in the face, but still managed to bounce rather solidly against his forehead. Ouch!

Wincing and putting a hand up to his head to feel if he had a bump, Tiberius looked around for the origin of the mysterious Quidditch ball, and his eyes landed on none other than his favorite relative, Cassius. Stupid Cassius.

Glaring, he retreived the Quaffle from the ground and raised an eyebrow at his cousin. "This yours?" he said coolly, wishing he could get away with lighting Cassius on fire, but he doubted that Lucius would help him cover that one up if he tried, and Valeria likely wouldn't approve.

[Image: mZROQz.png]
    Set by Tiff!

gimme sympathy,

I'll remember someday all the chances we took. we're so close to something better left unknown.

Cassius stifled a laugh in the sleeve of his robes as the quaffle hit Tiberius in the forehead. He almost muttered something along the lines of ten points to ravenclaw but stopped himself from doing that, if only because he didn't believe Tiberius was any saner than his infamous father. And as much as Cash liked his Defense Against the Dark Arts class, he was well aware of the fact that Tiberius knew more magic than him. Messing with his cousin was fine, but provoking him that much just sounded like an awful idea. After all, parricide ran in the family.

He couldn't help but grin mischeviously at Tiberius when spoken to. "Yes," Cassius said. "Well, I mean, actually it's technically the property of the school. But I was using it."He quirked an eyebrow at Tiberius. Sometimes Cash just didn't know when to shut up; sometimes he just didn't care. Common sense told him to accept the quaffle and go back to ignoring his cousin, but his emotions told him to run with it, so he did.

"Sorry about your," he gestured wildly with his hands. "Sorry about the face thing." He wasn't, not really, but it wouldn't exactly be very polite to be openly hostile towards his cousin. After all, they did need to live with one another. Privately Cash thought it was a shame that Mariana hadn't taken Tiberius instead, but he had to admit that given the choice he himself would have picked Lysistrata. (And, as the slight bitter twinge pinged in his brain, his father did need a Tiberius-esque boy to raise in his image or whatever.) Cash actually had no real evidence that Lucius preferred Tiberius, unless one counted the time the pair spent in one another's company. But Cassius couldn't really hold that against his father, as he himself had little to no interest in his father's dark arts and had always been slightly self-sufficient. He was pretty emotionally stable, for a Lestrange. So yes, he had no evidence, but he had a feeling. And he didn't trust Tiberius. So that was that.

DATE: 4/01 | TAG: Tiberius | OUTFIT: nu | NOTES: HURR. | WORDS: 350
    TEASPOONS @ CAUTION 2.0
    set by MJ!

If he wanted to, he could have wiped the smile off of Cassius' face with a wave of his wand. He could have wiped his cousin's entire face off with a wave of his wand, then boiled his blood inside his veins. He could distort the corpse to the point where he would be completely unrecognizable. He could bury him in the Forest near where he suspected the vampire caverns were and no one would find him and if they did they would blame the vampires. But Lucius would no doubt wonder why his son hadn't taken his OWLs and why he didn't come home over the summer. And Lucius would be disappointed in Tiberius.

If he wanted to, he could bewitch enchanted snakes and spiders to follow Cash around all day and attack him incessantly. Or better, he could try to illusion Cash into only thinking that they were. He would break out into hysterics in the middle of class. He'd be clinicized within a few weeks. But Lucius would know. He would glare at Tib and tell him to remove the spell immediately, then probably place him under the same spell so that he could get a taste of his own medicine. Valeria would think he was crazy and go distant.

If he wanted to--well, that was a pointless train of thought. He did want to, but he wouldn't, because Cassius was the son of Lucius, and Lucius would be disappointed if Tiberius did anything... threatening.

"Then how did it get out of your hands?" he said icily, keeping hold of the Quaffle for now. He ignored Cassius' apology; it was empty and meaningless and didn't really need any sort of acknowledgement or response. Besides, his head was fine, aside from a little throbbing and the fact that the sky was spinning every-so-slightly and slowly above him.

Set by Tiff!

gimme sympathy,

Cash didn't trust Tiberius. It was an instinctual thing, caused more by his cousin's stoicness than anything. (As Cassius was someone who was always feeling something, someone who appeared to have no feelings at all appeared naturally sinister to him.) The occasional comments by relatives that compared Tiberius to his father didn't exactly endear him to Cash, either. Cassius was wary of Tiberius, but not enough to stop running his mouth, because he believed that there was no way Tiberius would hurt him. (Cash may have believed that Lucius liked Tiberius better, but he also believed that his old man wouldn't tolerate his being wounded. Or something.)

Cassius clapped his hands together at Tiberius' question and leaned back on his heels, although the latter was mostly just to fulfill his general need to be in motion. "I was throwing it and got distracted and, well, yeah," he said. It sounded like a bullshit excuse to his own ears, so he decided to tack more on to it. "I'm not a chaser, you know. I'm surprised I didn't take out my own eye." Yada yada yada, blah blah blah. Cash was more skilled with a snitch, yes, but it wasn't that complicated to throw a quaffle in the air. Tiberius might not know that, though, and if it came down to it Cassius was perfectly willing to pretend to be worse at quaffle handling than he actually was just to prove a point. Ah, Lestrange family affection.

Okay, so maybe it hadn't exactly been polite for Cash to throw the quaffle at Tiberius' face. (Unprovoked, even.) Maybe he should have done the Ravenclaw thing and thought it through. (Or was deliberating a Slytherin thing? Either way, it could go straight down to the depths of hell with hard work and ambition.) He could have ignored his cousin and he would have been still sitting under the tree, throwing his quaffle and wondering. But since when did Cash ever think anything through?

DATE: 4/01 | TAG: Tiberius | OUTFIT: nu | NOTES: HURR. | WORDS: 330
    TEASPOONS @ CAUTION 2.0
    set by MJ!

Tiberius frowned. He was lucky he hadn't taken out his eye? What sort of bullshit was that? Cassius was on the Quidditch team, and much as Tib would have loved to believe that hand-eye coordination was something to add to the very long list of tasks Cassius utterly failed at, he simply knew it wasn't true. Cash was lucky Tiberius hadn't taken out his eye for him, as pay back for the obvious lie.

"Right," he said dryly, thoroughly unconvinced. "I'm so glad you didn't end up hurting yourself. I don't know what your team of brutes on brooms would have done without you."

He was struck by the desire to throw the quaffle back at Cassius, hard enough to hurt, but he knew that in the field of athletics his cousin had him beat, and no matter how much effort Tib put into throwing the ball hard and straight at his cousin, the boy would probably catch it or deflect it with ease. Either that, or Tib would miss completely, which would be even more embarrassing.

Instead, Tiberius looked down at the quaffle thoughtfully and added in a slightly intimidating tone to Cassius, "You ought to be more careful, cousin." Terms like 'cousin' and 'uncle' were wonderful words; they were so flexible. Cousin could be, when applied to Valeria, almost a term of affection, or could be rather indifferent, merely a label, or, in the case of Cassius, it could contain as much venom as a basilik fang.

Set by Tiff!

gimme sympathy,

"Ah, not quite brutes," Cassius said. "They are Ravenclaws, after all." Most of them were actually smarter than he was, considering. (Cassius doubted that any of them would provoke Tiberius Lestrange like he was, but then again, they didn't have to live with him and weren't Lestranges themselves.) Cash considered it a rule of the Lestrange family that they were supposed to mess with one another as much as possible.

Cash quirked an eyebrow at Tiberius' next words. He was treading in dangerous territory now; both of them were frustrated with one another and that simply wouldn't do in the long run. He could have backed off, but he wanted his ball back if only so as to not irritate the next person to use the field.

"Thanks for your concern," he said, a sarcastic note to his voice. He would have responded with his own hate-filled name, but Tiberius seemed to have him beaten in that field. If words could kill, or rather the feelings behind them, Cash would have been in the middle of some extremely painful death spasms. "Can I have it back? Please," he added after a moment. Cash's interest in the conversation was waning; as entertaining as throwing things at Tib's skull had been, talking to his hated cousin could only be fun for so long.

DATE: 4/01 | TAG: Tiberius | OUTFIT: nu | NOTES: HURR. | WORDS: 221
    TEASPOONS @ CAUTION 2.0
    set by MJ!

Tiberius rolled his eyes at Cash's comment that the Ravenclaw Quidditch players weren't brutes; as if the definition of the term really depended on the IQ level. In Tiberius' mind they were brutes by virtue of the fact that they liked to get on broomsticks and throw large, painful balls at other boys--aside from having slightly homoerotic undertones, it also translated to brute. There was hardly anything more Nethanderal.

He looked down at the Quaffle, considering Cassius' request. Ah, if only he had a little hand-eye coordiantion--enough to peg Cash's smug little face with it. That, however, wouldn't help him now. Cash would just catch it and smirk and Tib would have to revert to... less school-approved methods of dealing with Cash.

Instead, he chose the middle ground--he couldn't honestly just hand it to Cassius, that would be too easy. He couldn't hit him with it. So the obvious choice--was to toss it into the nearby lake.

"Oh, oops," he said with mock surprise. "I am just so clumsy."

Set by Tiff!

gimme sympathy,

Cassius was only a little bit surprised as Tiberius threw the quaffle into the lake. "Really?" he asked, throwing his hands out in an 'I quit' gesture. "Thanks so much for that, cousin."

Stifling the obscenities he wanted to mutter at his cousin, Cash plodded to the edge of the lake. He guessed that accio wouldn't work - knowing his luck, the ball would either be caught on something or the charm didn't work in water.

Cash cast two quick spells on himself. One was to repel water from his clothes and the other was a bubble-head charm. (So he could breathe, of course.) He gave an overly bright grin to his cousin and dove into the water.

Stupid Tiberius stupid lake AGH stupid seaweed is that a grindylow? Nope, more weeds.

DATE: 4/01 | TAG: Tiberius | OUTFIT: nu | NOTES: last post with cash. | WORDS: 132
    TEASPOONS @ CAUTION 2.0
    set by MJ!

If Tiberius was the laughing sort, he would have laughed at the stupid look Cash gave him before he dived into the lake. Oh, Cash. You try to be so clever, and you're just such an idiot.

As it was, the last time Tiberius had laughed, he'd been testing out a piece of dark magic on a frog he'd found in the Forbidden Forest, which wasn't the sort of thing that most people laughed at, and certainly wasn't the same kind of ironic humor that he found in the way Cash tried to look unaffected by his battery. This situation did not merit a laugh, so Tib just smirked, and, as soon as his cousin had disappeared into the water, made his way around the edge of the lake to get the homework he'd been trying to get the entire time.

Set by Tiff!

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Fetching Hope Woodrow Turner 20 3,050 01-03-2013, 01:26 AM
    Last Post: Vivian Turner