Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

That's why her hair is so big, it's full of SECRETS~ AKA help WW stay fetch!
    After our annual checkup this summer, the WW team has been hard at work thinking of ways to spice up our rag mag! Originally, we were aiming for the goal of being a bit of a tabloid-style magazine similar to our Witch Weekly modern day counterpart (remember Rita Skeeter giving Hermoine and Harry hell?). What we're looking to do is a slightly turned down version of that, however there are options~ and we're wondering what you all would like to see!

ON IC GOSSIP...
    We've had a good number of people request more articles on characters and their doings. The only trouble is, to find anything gossip-worthy, not all characters are cast in the most positive of light. We stopped this not long after we started up because some members were disliking their characters being featured.

However, do keep in mind the following: Witch Weekly does not have any impact on a character's reputation - only the DP has that power and WW is supposed to be a rag mag and scandalous in nature. There would be nothing where it attacks its readers, but speculation and story fabrication would exist to fill in any holes that the wenches might find.

Anything in WW is essentially to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone reads it, no one wants to admit it, everyone is shocked by what WW writes, but even the most gossipy characters at the end of the day would go, 'Oh, it's Witch Weekly, darling. Don't believe a word they say!' (Credit to Lady for this A+ description.)

— Let's talk options! —
    1) Bring all of the slander! Characters are named by the name, gossiped about, fabricated stories of and basically would be quite similar to the modern day Witch Weekly a la Rita Skeeter. WW would be a trashy, "is this actually real" magazine.

(Disclaimer: The Wenches are wary of writing articles like this that are not about their own characters, so we were thinking a collective list for those who would not like their characters to be written about in this fashion. OR having a submissions thread where you can toss juicy facts about your characters or thread links in, though our submissions threads in general lack activity, so this may not be a great option.)

2) Some slander, no names. There is gossip equally as shameful as in the above option, however there are no specific names mentioned. Characters would be given ridiculously fake names where IC characters would not know who this article was about unless they were there or had personal affiliations with them.

A RL example: "A VE equivalent of the penny magazines- they got pretty scandalous, but weren't name and shame- if there was a rumour of an affair resulting in a pregnancy, for example, but no direct proof, then they'd run an article like 'top suggestions for hiding the father of your child', in a mocking sort of vein which meant they worked on their own, but pretty much everyone would have known what they were really about- much like THIS article, which works fine on its own, but is even funnier when you know it was prompted by a fist-fight in one of the suites at the Ritz over a will-reading where one family member didn't get the necklace she wanted. As it was in a private room they couldn't exactly put names to it, but is was fairly big gossip." (Credit to Jenny)

(Note: This is the favored option for our wenches, but we want your input!)

3) Your ideas here!

ON ARTICLE TYPES...
    We're wanting to mix things up and add more interesting sections in! Thus far we have:
    • Interior design
    • How to host a proper party (and similar articles)
    • New products/inventions that may prove beneficial

What would you like to see?

If you have any other notes or suggestions, we'd love to hear it! (Also if you'd like to join the wenches, hit me up on skype or via PM and we can discuss adding you to the team!)
    [-] The following 4 users Like Barnabas Skeeter's post:
       Aurelia Vernon, Aurelia Wallingford, Henry Berkwood, Theseus Greengrass
    Barney uses a prosthetic leg and a cane to get around.

[Image: AWqs15D.gif][Image: kZuCust.jpg]
    I like option two. It doesn't outright name anybody - so very minimal ooc hard feelings - but it gives thread possibilities of gossipy friends whispering and speculating on who it could possibly be and all that.

As for articles, my characters that would read WW mainly enjoy the debutanting tips sort of things. Like how to flirt with your fan, for example. For my socialites, they rather like hearing all about the best dinner parties which the magazine pretty much already does and is listed so I'm mainly backing it up as an idea I like. xD
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Aurelia Vernon's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter
    set by rune
    One is my favorite option. I even think it would be fun to turn it WAY up - like rumors that Ursula is expecting triplets in a month when clearly she's not even pregnant, or that the star at de Montfault Theater is really a hash using lots of beauty portions. The more ridiculous and less believable, the less it matters if people are actually named and the more fun it is!

My characters love quizzes. LOVE THEM.

ALSO. Lots of my characters boycotted the magazine when IC it was bought by a man - that defeats the original idea of by women, for women, and I think we should have it taken over by a woman again.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Septimus Quirrell's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter
    [Image: 2n8tv2c.jpg]
    Me, personally, I'd like to see 1, with some 2 mixed in. If people who have problems with their characters being personally named and shamed (whether it's made up or real) can put their name on a list then Wenches shouldn't have to worry about stepping on toes and if someone's on said list has some irresistible article fodder they can be used like option 2.

My reason for preferring option 1 is I think it's more sensational and more likely to drum up stuff to use IC. I like 2 but I feel like because it doesn't name any names, the anonymity kinda makes it more difficult to apply IC unless a character is savvy to details not mentioned in the article.
    Rune keeps spoiling me unexpectedly with graphical wonders

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I really like Olive's suggestion, but maybe there can be two lists -- one for "made up" names and one for "real"?

For example, if Immie were to be mentioned in an article, I'd file her under the "made up" category because the woman has enough against her rep-wise as it is. Though for someone like, say Katherine, who has a stellar rep, I'd say go ahead and use her "real" name because that could possibly create some drama in her life. xD
    [-] The following 3 users Like Imogen MacFusty's post:
       Aurelia Vernon, Barnabas Skeeter, Septimus Quirrell
    Scarce, but still around! <3
    Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thank you!
    [Image: 6ipiXdu.jpg]
    signature and avatar created by the talented ladybug

I offer you free rein on Threnody because she's basically made of scandal and can't read anyway.

In terms of vague referencing, I think that's a really good idea--for example, Olivia would be a "Notable socialite for many years who prides herself on her ability to mold youg ladies". they don't explicitly name her so she can;t continue to threaten legal action, but its still pretty transparent!
    [-] The following 2 users Like Odira Potter's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Elsie Beauregard

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    I think Olive's got a good idea going. :)

People with lower reputations could easily have rumors of all kinds floating around about them. It seems reasonable that that would happen to them.

Those who are more reputable, there could be rumors, but no one's going to say names. Though I imagine if some sort of rumor got out about a reputable lady or gent doing something that seems sketchy, WW could feed that with other false rumors of the same sort of nature.
    [-] The following 3 users Like Darling Whitledge (Hymn)'s post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Elias Grimstone, Virginia Carmichael

OWLs: CoMC & Ghoul Studies. Clubs: Potions & Dueling.

This precious set is by MJ!

PitaPata Cat tickers

In terms of gossip, I personally don't mind any of my characters being mentioned by name nor do I really care what's said about them. But! I do agree with everything that's been said thus far about differentiating between people who get mentioned by name and those who get some kind of descriptor.

Because I was in the doctor's office for like three hours the other day and got to spend a lot of time with magazines like People, US Weekly, Vogue, etc. I have a lot of ideas so sorry for the wall of text in advance >.>.

In terms of things I'd like to see - I was thinking about something to do with women's health? Medicine in the Victorian Era, especially as it pertained to women, could be somewhat sketchy so I think it might be fun to have a column that gives women 19th century advice about their medical issues.

Some magazines have a page in the beginning with short comments sent in by readers about the last issue's stories. This might be good for people with characters that have something to say, but don't want to write a full article for whatever reason or characters that just want to have their name in WW xD.

For more argumentative or debate-minded women, I was also thinking about how some publications have readers send in letters about some kind of controversy or divisive issue and will post the two best letters that represent the pro and anti side.

Another idea for guest writers is guest advice columnists. Maybe once a month, some notable woman could answer questions for the readers of WW? For example, Jane Smith, business owner, could be advertised as this month's guest (or ~celebrity~) advice columnist and could field questions about being a working woman and other things. It would be another opportunity for more member submitted things!

More stuff to do with food this is vague but Souri muse insisted?

Some kind of matchmaking/lonely hearts thing? Idek.

Moar 10 facts about men because I love that xD.

In the same way that there's occasionally showcases of eligible men, maybe some for eligible women?

I also support the 'by women for women' issue that Emily brought up! I think WW would be a rag regardless, but a rag owned by a woman would be more fitting.

I'm going to cap it there because that's a lot already and idk how much of that is actually useful lol. I'm sure I'll have more ideas later
    [-] The following 2 users Like Souri Avninder's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Imogen MacFusty
    [Image: mLK8um.png]
    tag souri avninder in your replies.