Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

September '16

At last, September is here—and it brings a lot of developments with it, both in- and out-of-character!

ACTIVITY CHECK—The activity check is underway! If you would like an account reactivated, you can do so by posting in maintenance starting on September 4th at 11:00am EST. The exception to this is players with no active accounts. If all of your accounts are inactive, you may immediately post to reactivate one. Please keep in mind that it may take us a day or two to get to any new applications, depending on how long the AC takes to complete.

As always, this only applies to accounts deactivated in the Activity Check. If yours was deactivated earlier for another reason, you are welcome to reactivate your character whenever you like!

LET’S GET THIS SORTED!—This year’s sorting ceremony is underway, but there’s been a bit of a hiccup

NEW SKINS AHOY!—Our illustrious leader has furnished us with four skins this season, featuring “guest banners” by MJ (@Elias Grimstone), Tiffany (@Valeria Greengrass), and Lady (@Aurelia Wallingford)! Summer skins are all still available for use, too, and the default skin is available in a Large Font option! You can check out the new skins and set them (per account!) here.

[Image: square_herbology_zpsqkymnivb.png] [Image: square_fall_zpsxfevmxaa.png]
    [Image: square_glitter_zpswpixm6sh.png] [Image: square_potions_zpsnphj2rsb.png]

There are also a few surprises kicking around the board—see if you can spot them ;)

START OF TERM—All students should have returned to Hogwarts today! If, for whatever reason, your pupil needs to return late, you’ll need to contact the Board of Governors (any member of staff) for permission. The welcome feast is tonight, and classes will kick off on Monday! Quidditch tryouts are already underway OOC, and wrap up on September 11th!

This also means that students can officially start earning (and losing) house points again! Perhaps classes and assignments would be a good place to start?

Lastly, in case you missed it, Hogwarts has done away with chastity cuffs for the coming year!

A CHARMING BOOK CLUB—This month, we’re reading Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce, a YA novel set in the author’s rich, medieval-esque Tortall universe about a girl who learns she has the power to communicate with animals at a time where creatures of legend are beginning to appear once again. We’ll also be reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, one of the first sensation novels of the Victorian era with that includes crime lords, disguise, and insanity! It’s also a little lengthy so I’ll forgive you if you can’t join in on the discussion on that one right away ;)

You can check out this month’s offerings, future offerings, and future book leaders here! I’m still looking for (up to) two more leaders for each of October and November, so let me know if you’re interested! Each leader handles a different book, but everyone is welcome to read all the books. There are stamps!

[Image: rookie_zpspktgxf0e.png] [Image: page_zpshecnatei.png] [Image: baron_zpsauiwyjbj.png]

EVENTS—In terms of social events, we actually have a rather lean month :( Anyone looking to change that should post in the September Events Calendar!

GOALS—We didn’t do too badly with our goals for August, but unfortunately, didn’t meet them. Participation in OOC events was great, and it was wonderful to see so many people completing the monthly challenge! Sadly, we only had one member-written DP articls out of the target of three, and we fell about 2,000 pots shy of our 5,000 post goal xD Check out our goals for September here—and maybe contribute some of your own!

SUMMER INTERNS—By now, all hospital/ministry summer interns should have all traces of that internship (ribbon, member title) removed xD If yours still lingers, head over to maintenance to have it removed!

TEMP CHARACTERS—SWP6 has wrapped! If you have any international temporaries, try to either get them resolved by the end of the month, or come up with a reason for them to move permanently to Britain! Anyone who participated in SWP6 can also head over to stamp station now to collect this beauty:

[Image: swp6_zpsmdj7c16p.png]

NETWORKING—The Networking forum has been thinned out; anything that was started on a now inactive account and without attention in 6+ months was deleted. For those who had duplicate networking pages, the older one(s) were deleted. We ask that in the future you reuse your old networking threads if you want to revamp! You can have them cleaned out by posting in Maintenance!

SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE—This month, we have a two-for-one deal on the writing challenge!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.

Congrats to the winner of August's PW Contest: Olive (@Ursula Black) with 93 posts!
    [Image: 219qvph.png]
    Beautiful set by Bee!

No news is not good news as the hunt for the Sorting Hat continues—though now with a bit of an OOC element, too! ;)

Also, @Isaiah Triggs is the new fifth year male prefect for Gryffindor! He would have been appointed over the summer. Please don’t set him on fire.

Lastly, signups for student quidditch tryouts close tonight. All those who have yet to post theirs are reminded to do so by Sunday!

First and foremost—the quidditch roster has been posted! I’ll leave it to you to figure out where your character has landed, but the following have been added to their house teams: @Madeleine Backus, @Saundra Darrow, @Owain Edwards, @John Ellory, @Dorothea Grant, @Simon Quirke, @Hippocrates Smethwyck, @Elijah Urquart, @Citrine Weasley, @Darling Whitledge, @Handsome Whitledge, @Glisten Whitledge, @Waffle Whitledge, and @Cleo Wood

In the interests of making sure everyone knows what’s going on, the highest person to score in a particular category got the slot unless they already had another slot on the team. Where there was a tie, it was determined based on a combination of IC desire and OOC which players already had quidditch players!

We’ve had two first years make their house teams—if Hippocrates is sorted out of Ravenclaw, @Hugh De Vries gets his slot. If they both are, it goes to @Peter Troublefield xD Elijah is going no where >.>

Speaking of sorting—the hunt for the Sorting Hat continues and three clues have been given! I’ve had a few of you send in the location already, but will continue to accept PMs until noon EST tomorrow! The official re-sorting ceremony will take place on Wednesday, so ready your minds and pack your trunks! Click here if you have a first year!

[-] The following 4 users Like Odira Potter's post:
       Claire Bennet2, Elsie Beauregard, Glisten Whitledge, Waffle Whitledge

The Sorting Hat has been found! The young Miss @Bessie Hagrid (@Rasmus Mohr) was the one to find it, earning 50 points for her current house and a Té set for her player, Emily—who beat the runner up by two minutes. Also successful were Anya (@Cornelia Pendergast), Hymn (@Ezra Fairclough), and Hawke (@Emmeline Woodcroft), though it was Alex (@Souri Avninder) who won the draw for the second set! You can all pick up a participation stamp if you don’t have it already :)

[-] The following 4 users Like Odira Potter's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Cornelia Pendergast, Elsie Beauregard, Souri Avninder

Hags are Hiring! The Gossipmongering Hags will be accepting applications for three positions from now until 9/29. If interested, please PM @Cassius Lestrange with:
    Name:
    Main Account:
    Links to Any Articles Previously Written, or Scandal Found, or other Hag-Relevant Doings*:

*have you been on WW or the buddies?

Responsibilities, as explained by Kayte, (these will rotate on a 4-week basis):
    • Two people responsible for news-hunting in (full) week one. All results must be posted on/before the Saturday. They can divvy the board as they see fit.
    • Two people responsible for news-hunting in (full) week three. All results must be posted on/before the Saturday. They can divvy the board as they see fit.
    • One person designated the writer. They are responsible for writing an article a week/four in the month, as well as keeping up-to-date with the rumor mill.
    • One person designated the poster. They are responsible for posting issues, coding articles submitted by members, and organizing 1-2 News Roundups each month.
    • One person if any left over to be off for the month!

Hag perks include a shiny stamp, getting to know things early sometimes, GOSSIP, and general shenaniganery! Also, Beanie's eternal love.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Cassius Lestrange's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Elsie Beauregard
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]

Our books for October have been selected! Those interested in reading along with us should pick up copies of Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey and/or Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar. Discussion for Wild Magic is underway and I swear on my life I will get to The Woman in White in October >.> #FailKayte

Secondly, a reminder that the Activity Check will take place on Saturday. Please make sure that your mini-profiles are filled in, your CML is up-to-date, and all characters accepted on/before August 31st have been posted.

Lastly, a reminder that Beanie wants YOU to apply for Hag duty!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Cassius Lestrange

Just a few end of the month reminders:
    • Posting Wizard signups for October are open! Because we forgot about them until today, they’ll be open a bit longer than usual xD
    • You’re almost out of time to complete the September Writing Challenge.
    • Activity Check will take place tomorrow!
    • If you set goals for this month, go see how you did! Cross out any you completed so I can, uh, check those for the board’s goals :P

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      September '17 Ursula Black 9 4,675 09-30-2017, 09:13 AM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      September '15 Odira Potter 10 6,738 10-01-2015, 12:00 AM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      September '14 Odira Potter 11 14,073 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
    Last Post: Violet MacFusty