Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Hogwarts Language Professor(s)
    I noticed that Hogwarts doesn't have any language professors. I thought that was a little deterring for students who wish to work as a liaison for the Ministry's Magical Co-operation department. Maybe there could be a language professor or two at Hogwarts (i.e., German, French, Latin)?

Just a thought. :]

Ezra speaks with a Dubliner accent.

THIS GORGEOUS SET IS BY NOLAN!

I'd agree (Given that Cecily has just requested a language tutor) that we could do with either a professor in 'Modern and Magical Languages'

I'd say one prof would be sufficient msotly because I'm not sure the plotting/class creation etc would support more than that.

OR
    A language tutor, that isn't part of the 'core ciriculum' per say but could be availed of if parents and gaurdians wanted the child to be exposed to them. Lower class students for example wouldn't NEED another langugage, as international liasons, embassy workers, ambassadors etc would almost exclusivly be upper class.

The Victorian period saw lower class educated restricted to 'the core'/necessery subjects which for magic would be a bit different but having knowledge of other languages would be a middle/upper class traits and the lower classes would have seen it as a waste of time.

So it could be either simply a tutor in residence at Hogwarts, or a class but really only upper and middle class children would have signed up for.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Charlotte Lucas's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: charlotteban_zps6bddkany.png]
    For non-magical languages I'm really kinda iffy since as said it was a middle/upper class thing - it was fashionable to know French for example - and if anyone could learn at Hogwarts then it kinda diminishes the prestige? It was always in my head that that would be taught to kids prior to Hogwarts by the governess/tutor and potentially continued through summer and winter breaks since they can't really learn more magic during that time. Or if a kid really wanted to learn a new language they could find books and maybe a native speaker to help.

Quote:I thought that was a little deterring for students who wish to work as a liaison for the Ministry's Magical Co-operation department.
    This is true unless the character is from a wealthy enough family to have learned (or special circumstances) which means LC folk are excluded but that's the Victorian class system.

HOWEVER, I think languages like Mermish and Gobbledegook are another matter. I mean it is magic school so if they were to teach languages it should probably be wizarding world languages imo, just like the history is magical history only. Except maybe Latin because so many spells are Latin-based and it could actually be useful for a magical education.

I think a student run language club for non-magical languages could be a good idea though?
    [-] The following 3 users Like Adelia Lovegood's post:
       Elsie Beauregard, Henry Berkwood, Odira Potter
    I'm also pro-magical languages. I feel like those would also come in handy, career-wise for people going into COMC-related fields? I wrote a character once who taught himself Gobbledegook when he joined the Goblin Liaison Office
    [Image: 219qvph.png]
    Beautiful set by Bee!
    A Part time tutor, who isn't a Hogwarts professor, and who charges for private lessions could be on site on weekends to facilitate langauge lessons for wealthier students.

He's just a private citizen that has been given permission to give lessons in an empty classroom 2 days a week with parents permission.

I know my school offered that sort of thing for certain instruments and the like, and we a were boarding school.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Charlotte Lucas's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: charlotteban_zps6bddkany.png]
    I'd be pro magical languages as well! I feel like for the most part most middle/upper children were taught French at home and if they wanted to pursue it further would do so outside of school.

I think having a private tutor who charges for lessons kind of defeats the purpose though, because upper class kids could just do that themselves outside of school. What if it was a 6/7 year elective like Alchemy where students who are gearing up toward fields that would need them can at least get some basics?
    words cannot describe this set by Stef ♥
    [Image: oTMsdz.gif]
    [Image: 2emz8zq.png]
    I knew that foreign languages we more of a upper/middle class thing, I was thinking of those lower class kids. But life's not fair and we wouldn't want to go hurting those UC/MC folks' prestige. ;P

I hadn't even thought about Magical Languages, but it definitely [more] seems fitting for Hogwarts. Trolls apparently have their own language too, which could be taught as well. :) I still think Latin should be available too because of spells and such, but if not, I'm certainly down for Mermish and Gobbledegook! :D

What about a Gobbledegook course introduced this year available to NEWT students and taught by an actual goblin? I feel that of the two, it would be far more practical than mermish because bank/curse breaking jobs etc.
    [-] The following 6 users Like Odira Potter's post:
       Aurelia Vernon, Cassius Lestrange, Eli Swan, Elsie Beauregard, Ezra Fairclough, Henry Berkwood

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    so sort of like an extra elective class like apparition, or an actual curriculum one like alchemy?
    (07-29-2016, 02:09 PM)Nell Potticary Wrote: so sort of like an extra elective class like apparition, or an actual curriculum one like alchemy?

The latter!

So if the class is being introduced this year, then would it only be available to incoming NEWT students? Or, for example, can Persephone, an upcoming seventh year, be able to rearrange her current schedule to fit it in?
    Scarce, but still around! <3
    Please send all alerts to @Imogen MacFusty, thank you!
    [Image: 6ipiXdu.jpg]
    signature and avatar created by the talented ladybug

(07-29-2016, 02:41 PM)Imogen MacFusty Wrote: So if the class is being introduced this year, then would it only be available to incoming NEWT students? Or, for example, can Persephone, an upcoming seventh year, be able to rearrange her current schedule to fit it in?

I would think Persephone could take it if she has space!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Imogen MacFusty

@Odira Potter MAY I CLAIM MR. GOBLIN PROFESSOR, SIR? *___*

(07-29-2016, 03:00 PM)Ezra Fairclough Wrote: @Odira Potter MAY I CLAIM MR. GOBLIN PROFESSOR, SIR? *___*

The post if added will be available early next month as first come, first served as per our usual occupation policies ;)
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Odira Potter's post:
       Cassius Lestrange

(07-29-2016, 03:24 PM)Odira Potter Wrote:
    (07-29-2016, 03:00 PM)Ezra Fairclough Wrote: @Odira Potter MAY I CLAIM MR. GOBLIN PROFESSOR, SIR? *___*

The post if added will be available early next month as first come, first served as per our usual occupation policies ;)

OK <3

A Professor of Magical Linguistics is definitively a good idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Immigration & Hogwarts Questions Dhaval Dandekar 1 164 09-28-2017, 09:01 AM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      Pets @ Hogwarts Jason Zakarian 2 529 09-20-2016, 01:25 AM
    Last Post: Bessie Hagrid
      Hogwarts exams Ellory Pendergast 3 768 05-08-2015, 10:59 AM
    Last Post: Annette Fontaine
      Hogwarts School Paper?? Harvey Beauregard 11 1,557 01-11-2015, 09:54 PM
    Last Post: Harper Beckett
      Summer Professor Reserve William Rutledge 5 1,375 05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
    Last Post: Ellory Pendergast