Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Forgin Wizarding Schools: Site Canon
    We know about Hogwarts / Wizarding Britian and that's about all our knowledge is limited too. I mean, the most we know for a fact at this time. We know the names of the other schools and (some) of the culture, but we still don't know all we could know. Dante suggested we have a site cannon for all the forgin schools so that we're consistent about it when we have characters that come from all over specifically I think this is aimed more towards the World Fair and all the schools they could have come from.

The most I could find
    Ilvermorny:
    • Horned Serpent / Slytherin?
    • Wampus / Ravenclaw?
    • Thunderbird / Gryffindor?
    • Pukwudgie / Hufflepuff?
    • thats all I'd assume they take from anywhere in the states and Canada

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic:
    Traditions: Stand when the Headmistress comes in
    Students: France, Netherlands, Belium, Luzemourg, Portugal, Spain
    How Long its been around: over 700 years in the 21st century
    Appearance: It's a palace with gardens and mountains and fountains. Around Christmas there's ice sculptures.
    Other: Students take there OWLs in their sixth year

Durmstrang Institute:
    Traditions: Couldn't find any :( this is why we need a site cannon
    Students: Norways, Sweden, maybe Russia, maybe Germany
    How Long its been around: since like 1294
    Appearance: It's a castle with about four stories; fires are magically lightened for special events. They might be located by a sea.
    Other: it's a "dark" school
    LET ME MAKE SOMETHING FOR YOU

thanks kelly for the set :)
    OWLs: COMC, Earth Magic, and Ancient Runes
    Russia has Koldovstoretz, and also smaller private schools of magical instruction -- I had a character go to a school that was basically an all-girls Hogwarts meets finishing school.

We also have schools established in South Africa, Brazil, and India from the pan-magical games.

if I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
    ^^And Italy!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Annette Fontaine's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: LVt7zaV.jpg]
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Jenny has sold her soul to gods of architecture and is most likely absent to some degree unless otherwise said. If you need me, various people have non-charming ways of throwing stones at me
    Also I think Durmstrang has students from Germany. I've always assumed they had a lot of students from Eastern Europe in general? Which would make sense since Beauxbatons has Western Europe pretty well-covered.

I cannot imagine dealing with language barriers, though holy crap.
    [Image: 219qvph.png]
    Beautiful set by Bee!
    Yeah, especially in the Victorian era where rural people especially would speak dialects rather than a standard language, plus there were more smaller countries... I suppose they'd just be sent to the one whose language(s) they knew best- people in the Aostan Valley in Italy during the VE would speak Aostan french and barely any knew Italian, so for them Beauxbatons would probably make more sense than Incantima, for example XD
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Annette Fontaine's post:
       Odira Potter
    [Image: LVt7zaV.jpg]
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Jenny has sold her soul to gods of architecture and is most likely absent to some degree unless otherwise said. If you need me, various people have non-charming ways of throwing stones at me
    From what JKR has said about wizarding schools in general, the ones in the contemporary era haven't always been the only ones but schools have come and gone over the years so this actually gives us lots of wiggle room and space for creativity without trampling on canon. Also, I think it's been implied that in some areas/cultures, homeschooling was/is the done thing.

Also I'm skeptical about the Ilvermorny houses since it's not been announced as official, someone just poked through the source code of the site which doesn't mean it's legit, it might very well have been placeholder words for the real thing in case someone actually did that.

Also Uagadou, Mahoutokoro, and Castelobruxo are things~

All that aside, I don't think we need to define too much about other wizarding schools since no active character outside of events (i.e. Pan-Magical) should be attending a foreign school and it's not hugely relevant to the present for alumni. Vagueness ftw.
    [-] The following 3 users Like Ursula Black's post:
       Barnabas Skeeter, Odira Potter, Tristan Michaud
    Rune keeps spoiling me unexpectedly with graphical wonders

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Mahoutokoro - It is an ancient school, one of the 11 great schools of the wizarding world

Is on the Island Minami Iwo Jima, the entire school is in th style of Pagoda palace and made of mutton fat jade

Students can attend from age 7, but do not board until 11, wands made of cherry were favoured and considered honorable

The school has an outstanding reputation for producing Quidditch talent, the training is considered gruelling and performed under conditions which Hogwarts students would not be forced to train.

Students are given one set of robes when they enter the school. These are enchanted to grow with the student, beginning a faint pink colour and becoming (if top grades are achieved in every magical subject) gold. A robe which turns white indicates that the student has broken Japanese wizarding law (such as underage magic statute) or performed dark magic. This can result in explusion and a tribunal before the Japanese wizengemot
    [Image: I8yL65.png]
    Amazing set by Nolan
    I imagined that if Durmstrang ever had an exchange program, the visitors would be surprised to learn that male and female students were only allowed to engage socially at mealtimes during scheduled school hours and was taught separately in order to avoid "any unnecessary distractions". :P

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Wizarding involvement in the pharmaceutical industry Adalbert Waffling! 3 287 09-27-2017, 07:15 PM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      Underage Wizarding License Darling Whitledge (Hymn) 16 1,074 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM
    Last Post: Adalbert Waffling!
      Canon Locations Rasmus Mohr 1 404 02-16-2016, 02:57 PM
      Informal wizarding education DarcyQuinn 5 541 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM
      Question about wizarding hospitals Annette Fontaine 6 1,040 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM
    Last Post: Yorick Ballcocke