Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Emilia Wright for Jude Wright. Casually alienating offspring since 18882.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

Tea for Three
September 29th, 1888 — the Farley home, Bartonburg

When Abigail had received an invitation to tea from a Miss Zipporah Farley, she'd been completely confused about why. She didn't remember the girl, she didn't even know what she looked like. But her mother had seen the invitation and convinced her-- and by convinced it was really coercing her with the death glare-- that she needed to go. It was on a Saturday afternoon, and Abigail was a little apprehensive about going to Hogsmeade on a weekend, but it was worth the trip, right? Fletcher had told her she needed more friends, someone to keep her mind off him and his special lady friend, Miss Eavan MacKay, after he'd learned about her visit to the zoo a few weeks ago. So here goes nothing, right?

She'd gotten dressed in her third finest silk dress (must save the first two for real parties[/i]!) and curled her hair so that it wasn't a massive poofy cloud around her face. Her nicest day shoes were put on her stocking clad feet and together, Abi and her mother made their way to Bartonburg in Hogsmeade.

Hogsmeade was definitely larger than Irvingly and Abigail didn't have a lot of experience going through the cobblestone streets and looking around her. More than once she'd tripped over a taller stone. Mother had given her the same look she always gave Abi when she did something she disapproved of, even minutely. Abigail genuinely believed her mother loved her, but propriety often took precedence over making sure that her daughter hadn't fallen flat on her face.

They'd finally arrived at the Farley home-- apparating there would have been difficult having never been where they were going. No one wanted a splinching incident. Besides, it gave Mother time to give her instructions on how to behave during the tea. When they knocked on the door, a lightly dark skinned young woman with a massive hat on her head answered the door. Abigail and her mother were ushered in where a few other girls sat on various forms of couches and settees. There was an open space near a young woman with blonde hair so while Abigail's mother left the room to go to the area where the other mothers and chaperons were, Abi went over and sat down by Madeleine. "Hi," she said brightly. "Are you here by choice or because the choice was made for you?" Jumping right to the point, Abi. Way to go.

Madeleine Backus
Maddie had been pleasantly surprised to hear from Zipporah so soon after arriving back from St. Petersburg. While the girls had been friendly in school, things felt different now outside of the confines of the Hufflepuff common room. After all, she had shared classrooms, and social spaces, with girls of much higher station than her but she didnt expect to get an invitation into the upper class drawing rooms of Wizarding England, even if that was rather the aim of her Grandfathers plan, and Anna's presence in England.

Adorned in one of her new dresses, a modest tea dress that somehow made her look like a very different person than she had been in school, Maddie attended the Farley home at the appointed time. The chaperone, a thickset russian woman older than Maddie's mother who spoke no English and had no interest in life in England other than the penny dreadfuls that were charmed so she could read them in Russian, took a seat with the others and quickly buried herself in the latest edition. Greedily devouring whatever lurid tale graced its pages.

Madeleine had guessed, or rather assumed, that the tea would be confined to the two Hufflepuff alumni, after all Zipporah would have all of the excitement of her new position to share and Maddie was keen to hear about it. She masked her modicum of surprise when another young lady entered the drawing room. A girl she only vaguely recognized as being a few years older than herself and in a different house, although Maddie couldn't remember which one.

At the girls comments Maddie smiled sheepishly, 'invites are very new to me, so I'm not really in a position to refuse too many' she let out a light laugh. 'eh...Maddie' she faltered, 'I mean Madeleine Backus' she offered by way of introduction. Anna had strong opinions about Maddie's inclination to use her nickname rather than the longer more formal version of her name. She supposed with someone knew she should probably try and make a good impression.

[Image: ItXbzb.png]
<3 Nolan sets are crack!
Maddie has moved out of her family home and is now living in Bartonberg, and living with a middle class Russian family.  Her inheritance is common knowledge.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Abi saw the girl's nervousness and placed her hand on the couch between the two of them. Leaning in conspiratorially, Abi winked at her surreptitiously and indicated the few others around them. "To be fair," she said quietly, "I don't even know these girls like, on a personal level. I just know them from these godawful tea parties. I vaguely remember watching the hostess debut a year or so back, but I don't know anyone else here. I saw you sitting here by yourself and I thought, hey, there's a girl who looks as lost as I feel, so let's go talk to her."

Indicating one of the girls wearing a rather hideous pastel dress, Abi continued to speak quietly, "See her? She was betrothed for most of her life to a guy, and then, about a month before they were intended to actually get engaged in front of people at a ball, he announced that he was engaged-- to a man. His parents automatically disowned him and she was mortified. Since then she's been throwing herself at any man she thinks might marry her. I'm surprised she's here at all. She's usually hanging on some man's arm with her mother's encouragement no less. It's a really big mess."

Realizing she hadn't introduced herself yet, Abi giggled and turned slightly to face Maddie. "I'm Abi, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you, Maddie."