Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    10.17 Election 1887 campaign ledgers are up!
    10.16 Kayte's changed her (Charming) face!
    10.10 Congrats to September's PW winners Olive and Miri!
    10.03 An update on the Hogwarts ban...
    10.01 It's now October~
    09.30 The AC Approaches
    09.24 We have new Wenches!
    09.24 A wild election deadline appears!
    09.14 Witch Weekly needs more Wenches!
    09.10 Hags have hired!
    09.05 Hags are Hiring & Update your CML Entries
    09.04 Congratulations to Lynn and Bree for winning August's PW!

Gabriel Vablatsky
    In Character
    Full Name: Gabriel Uriah Vablatsky
    Nicknames: Goes exclusively by Gabriel. If he is called anything else, like Gabe, he will feel somewhat insulted and cringe.
    Birthdate: March 18, 1870
    Current Age: 15
    Residence: Knockturn Alley, London
    Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
    Wand: Pine, 10 ¼”, Surprisingly Swishy, Kelpie Mane
    Blood Status: Half-Blood
    Social Class: Lower
    Family:
    Father: Gideon Vablatsky (1835 - 1844, passed from the laughing plague)
    Mother: ---- Vablatsky (18--) Hag
    Sister: Cassandra “Fern” Vablatsky (1865 - Present)
    Uncle: Ephraim Vablatsky (1828 - Present)
    Aunt: Eunice Vablatsky (1840 - 1880)
    Cousins:
    Micajah Vablatsky (1858 - Present)
    Ezra Vablatsky (1858 - Present, Micajah’s twin)
    Cassandra Vablatsky (1861 - Present)
    Apollodora Vablatsky (1865 - Present)
    Great-Grand Mother: Cassandra Vablatsky (1765 - 1872)

Appearance:
    Hair: Gabriel has semi-long dark brown hair that is often swept to the side. If he lets it grow out, it may reach below his ears or halfway to his shoulders.
    Eyes: His eyes are also a deep brown and slope ever so slightly at the outer edges.
    Brows: His brows are somewhat thick and stretch the length of his eyes. They have no real arch, but sort of curve down at the ends.
    Nose: His nose is plump, possibly a little wider at the end than most “normal” noses.
    Mouth: Although thin and lighter red, his lips provide a decent canvas for a pleasant smile.
    Face: He wears glasses on occasion, mostly for reading things a distance away, however refrains from doing so if not necessary. This will happen in school or when he needs to see signs far away.
    Clothing: He will wear his robes most often.
    Height: Gabriel stands at 5 ft. 1 in.
    Body: He is particularly slim, though is often perceived to have a "normal" weight.
    Wand Hand: He is right handed.

History:
    1870 | Gabriel is born to a hag mother and Gideon Vablatsky. He has an elder sister, Cassandra, who he spends some time with occasionally. 

I wondered why she had odd deformities upon her face… I figured they were birthmarks or something but was horribly wrong. This did not cause me to love her any less, nor my mother.”

1872 | Great-grandmother Cassandra Vablatsky is found dead at the foot of the stairs. It appeared that she had tripped. 

"I never had the chance to meet her, though I heard decent things from the family. Dora often ignores me now, at least in public, along with the rest of my immediate family, so it puts a sour taste in my mouth when we meet behind closed doors. She scares me sometimes, along with my uncle, mostly because of their fascination with knowing stuff that happens in the future. Who in their right mind would want to know about that? About when you die or… or if you are to be attacked by a werewolf or have a chandelier fall on your head during a dance. It’s creepy.”

1875 | Gabriel experiences his first signs of magic by causing several glasses to levitate from the counter and shatter on the floor. He thinks this is funny and keeps doing it until he is forced to stop by his parents. 

”It’s one of the only memories that I am fond of. I look back on it at times - my mother called me crazy, or a lunatic, something along those lines - as it’s a reminder of when things were at least normal. Or, to my definition of normal. I also remember playing outside quite a lot, using sticks and twigs to build little huts for the ants and bugs then stomping on them, pretending I was a giant. I’d still love to be a giant, honestly.”

1876 | His twin cousins finish their schooling. Ezra ended up going into medicine. 

”I like them, truly. They aren’t insane people, but Ezra sees things too like Dora. Micajah is more unique to me which is why I think we can get along a little better. I don’t dislike any of them really, it’s just that their priorities differ.”

1878 | The eldest Cassandra, not Gabriel’s sister, receives a bad grade on her Divination OWLs and obliviates herself. She becomes a full-time patient in the hospital. 

”I felt bad for her. She had a lot of pressure put on her and she just couldn’t deal with failure. I want to blame someone… but I can’t. We are all family and we do what is expected of us. The whole experience just gives me more anxiety in class anyways. I swore one day I saw a troll playing hide and seek with me one day. It turned out that it was just my reflection in the mirror… But it still gave me chills and to this day I can’t force myself to look in the mirror for a prolonged period of time."

1880 | Aunt Eunice dies in a splinching incident. 

“This was a sad moment, mostly for her children but also in our family to a degree. Father mourned more than us, but in my defense death is a subject I don’t like so I try to separate myself from it.”

1881 | In the summer, Gabriel receives his Hogwarts letter and attends at the start of the semester. He is sorted into Gryffindor, though the sorting hat was on the fence between Hufflepuff. 

”It was an exciting summer to say the least! Father enjoyed the fact, but mother didn’t seem as keen. Fern never received a hogwarts letter and, if she did, she would have been in Dora’s year. I feel like she was saddened by this but she rarely confides in me. I encourage her to, because she is my sister after all, however I try not to push it. We got to shop for all of my stuff and father even got me a pet toad that I named Croakenspots. I love him to this day; he accompanies me while I study or finish my homework. Some of the students in the common room are repulsed but he’s cute to me. One time he began jumping on some shelves and storage chests that belonged to the other students and when I tried to grab him I ended up breaking a classmate’s family heirloom and a few knick knacks. I also accidentally tore someone’s robe trying to grab Croakenspots. No one ever forgave me.”

1883 | Gabriel takes up Divination like the rest of his family but isn’t fond of it. He refuses to read tea leaves let alone drink tea because he fears they will tell of his death. He often gets severe panic attacks as well in Divination class. 

”My mother offered me tea to calm my nerves during Christmas and I smacked the cup from her hands, yelling ‘NO!’ before relocating to the couch. She was confused, shrugged, and assumed I just didn’t want it. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I was scared of what I would find because she would probably just laugh. Father questioned my behavior and yelled at me.”

1884 | Gabriel’s father passes away due to the laughing plague. The family, as a result, drops to lower class and is forced to move to Knockturn Alley from Diagon. 

”This was the saddest day of my life. Father was very important to me and to lose him to such a horrible plague is just unforgettable. If I could do anything in life I would find a way to stop this from ever happening to anyone again. I have since tried to reach out to Ezra, seeing as he is a healer, and asked if anything could have been done to help father. He told me no, but I wasn’t so sure he was telling the truth.”

1885 | OWLs were coming which cause Gabriel to study very diligently. He knew he wouldn’t do so well in Divination considering his inability to practice the subject well, but decided to give it a try for the sake of his family. 

"I’m not so thrilled about this year, but I’ll do what I can. Having Croakenspots here to keep my company is more than enough motivation to get things done. I have to say though, someone has been throwing dirty socks at me during the night and when I wake I reek of feet. Everyone starts laughing but it’s not like I can help it. I tried to find out who it was by asking everyone in my dormitory, though no one fessed up to it. It’s really disturbed my studying habits and I fear I will fail because of it.”

Personality:
    Unpredictable. He is fairly weird and overly cautious about many things. Since his family has a long history of being seers and due to the pressure of taking divination classes, Gabriel has developed fears of seeing messages in objects, such as tea leaves, that warn of his death. As a result, he will steer away from encountering these messages and may experience severe panic attacks during the class. Many will refrain from leaving him alone in an area with valuables as they may be prone to breaking.

Despite this, he remains a rather responsible, kind, and caring individual who values his friends and peers highly lest they do something to cause him to view them otherwise. He tries to do best by his superiors and makes sure everyone feels included.
    Sample Roleplay Post: Kayte’s seduction made me do it
    Out of Character
    Name: Nolan
    Other Characters: Theseus Greengrass, Morris Wraith, Cynthia Quirrell, Snoozy, Sonya Libidine
    APPLICATION ACCEPTED!

— You should be titled in a few moments. Please post with your new character in the Character Master List thread.

— If you have a playby you would like to claim, you can go here.

— Don't forget to record your character's past position(s) in our history records.

— Not sure where to start? You can introduce yourself in a new topic here and fill out the plottage preferences form so people know what you're interested in.

We also have a buddy system. If you are new to Charming, you will be contacted by your assigned buddy within 48 hours. Once initial contact is made, you can decide whether you'd like to continue to participate in the buddy system or if you'd prefer to figure things out on your own.

Buddy System Leaders:
    Beanie @Cassius Lestrange
    Rosa @Gertrude Baker

— Our Networking Forum is here. You can also hop in on a thread in our Lonely thread list or start an open thread of your own.

— Don't forget to check out our Stamp Station for some extra fun!

— We also have a member submitted and staff run Daily Prophet that reports on in character happenings. Check it out so you can see how it might effect your future plots.

Thanks for deciding to join us, we hope you have a blast! :D
    — Kayte isn't awesome at networking. Get in touch if you'd like a thread! —
    #kaytesactivethreads

set by the unparalleled lady

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Ephraim Vablatsky Ephraim Vablatsky 1 990 04-06-2016, 09:10 PM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      Micajah Vablatsky Micajah Vablatsky 1 1,002 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
      Apollodora Vablatsky Apollodora Vablatsky 1 826 01-10-2016, 01:28 PM