Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

Fern-hunting parties became popular, allowing young women to get outside in a seemingly innocuous pursuit with less rigid oversight and chaperoning than they saw in parlors and drawing rooms. They may have even had the occasional romantic meetup with a similarly fern-impassioned beau. — Bree

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

"The Prodigal Sister" for Ophelia Devine. Faked deaths, scandal, and schemes!
Now that he had walked up to them, he couldn't exactly whirl around and get going. That would be rude. And was not, presumably, how straight men seduced their future wives.

Cassius Lestrange in Eyes on the Screen

— Nominate a quote —
The Dozen

Complete a twelve-post thread in which each post has exactly twelve words. At least three posts must be your own.

<
>

I Just Wanna Run
Private 
I just wanna run
Throw it away
Run before they're findin' me out

I just wanna run
I'm out here all alone
I tried to call your house
Can't reach you on the phone

February 26, 1888 - Hogwarts Greenhouses

For the most part Sisse enjoyed school. She had to be honest that she enjoyed the social aspects of school more than her courses, but overall she didn’t mind. However, as she was quickly learning, this part of the semester was bleak. There was little to look forward to with the holiday break over and the summer so far off other than endless amounts of homework piling ever upwards. Typically Sisse didn’t mind, she always had people to talk to, but the past week they’d not only had tons of homework but but everyone had been buried in studying for tests, writing papers, and club duties, leaving Sisse much to her own devices. Even Matthew had been studying away.

This particular afternoon Sisse was sitting in a spare classroom near the library attempting to change a matchbox into a pincushion and failing again and again. After yet another failed attempt Sisse slouched in her chair dejectedly. She couldn’t figure out what she was doing wrong in transfiguration. Everyone else made it seem so easy! She just wanted to run away from it all, especially with all her friends preoccupied with their own school work. For a brief moment she just wanted to leave it all behind.

Her attention wandered from the task at hand to the bleak gray skies outside and the snow covered hills. It felt like spring would never be here and she would be forever cooped up in the drafty castle suffering through magical theory lectures and trying to turn matches into needles and matchboxes into pincushions! If only she could something of green. One flower or at least happy plant to make her feel as if spring weren’t so far away. Her mother always kept plants in the house in winter, a reminder that the cold wouldn’t last forever. Here at Hogwarts the only plants around were in the green houses. The green houses! Of course.

Sisse didn’t particularly like herbology, she didn’t mind it per say, but it did tend to be the least adventurous of her courses. She wouldn’t admit it, but there was a sort of calming and lady like element to caring for the plants. As she entered the greenhouses having run back to the Gryffindor tower grab her cloak and having made her way to the green houses to calm her nerves, she took a deep steadying breathe in. It was warm compared to the bitter cold outside and the plants were flourishing, Sisse began to walk through the rows, careful to keep near the plants she actually knew. She didn’t want a creepy vine plant trying to grab her or anything like that. She was so frustrated and dejected that she didn’t notice the person around the corner from her and went crashing into Miss Potts landing them both solidly on the floor.

I’m so sorry!” The words were out of Sisse’s mouth as they hit the floor, her cheeks bright red. Even if she had collided with a friend it was still mortifying to be so drastically impolite!

Calla Potts

[Image: pJDOHc.jpg]
Towards the beginning of the year, she had taken over the care of a patch of flowers in the greenhouse that had been abandoned by a seventh year who had graduated the past year or maybe just someone who hadn't come back. She had not really asked if she could, but no one had said anything about it so she figured it was fine and kept caring for it. It was better than letting it die. Calla actually enjoyed it. Coming after school or after practice was relaxing in her own little world. It reminded her of home. The smell and feel of dirt on her fingers and the fragrant clash of scents that marked a greenhouse.

Sometimes she would even bring her homework to work on it down in the familiar scent - though today she was simply here to check her patch and go. She had a game at the end of the week and needed all the practice she could get. They had won the game against Ravenclaw, but she wouldn't take any chances. She was glad the Slytherin game was last. Playing against them scared her. She had heard they were the team most prone to playing nasty tricks and she really didn't want to be subjected to them. Hopefully, their beaters would be good enough to hold them off.

She picked up a pot, giving one of the buds a happy pat as she went to place to pot on the table behind, wanting to move the plant to one of the multiple tables that had been charmed to be warmer than the rest of the greenhouse. She'd barely let go when Calla felt herself being rammed into, her feet slipping and a harsh jolt as she landed on her tailbone. Looking over, she frowned till she registered the voice of one of her friends in which the frown morphed into a grin. "Miss Thompsett/Sisse! Hello!" she perked, moving to push herself up off the ground. "Oh, no worries, accidents happen. Would you like a hand up?"

[Image: oadORX.png]
thank you, bee, for the amazing set!!
Calla as ever was polite and kind about the incident and Sisse could hardly keep the sheepish smile from sliding across her features especially as she noticed the broad grin on her friend’s face. “Yes, thank you.” She took Calla’s offered hand and tried to get up in what she hoped was a dignified manner. Likely that idea was gone by how hot her face felt.

Sisse dusted off her skirts, hoping she hadn’t gotten too much dirt on her dress, it was one of her better ones and mother would be furious if she did. She then looked over at her friend, “Are you sure you are alright? I wasn’t watching where I was going and - oh! You’ve got a tear in hem!” Sisse’s words had a tendency of slipping quickly over her lips when she was nervous or embarrassed, jumping hastily from one thought to another as if she felt she could get it all out on the table than the other person might truly understand how Sisse felt. But her words were brought up short by the small tear in the hem of her friend’s skirts. She was quite sure that had been her fault.

She couldn't help but wave in a dismissive manner as the Gryffindor thanked her, a blush creeping up her cheeks. "It is not a problem at all, Sissie. After all, I am the reason you are on the floor. It would be rude of me to not offer." When Sissie took her hand, she shifted her feet apart to a position that would grant her more even weight distribution and leaned backward to assist in her friends rise from the floor, letting her hand fall back down to her side as it was released.

"Oh, I am perfectly fine, not a bruise or scrap on me. And my plant is perfectly fine thankfully," she replied with a chirp. As her hem was mentioned, she frowned. She gripped the cloth in her hand, raising the outer layer of her skirt to inspect the fabric. Sissie was right. There was a rip. Calla released the layer with a shrug. "Do not worry about it. It could have happened before. Even last time I wore the dress. I am not so careful with my clothes. I do not believe I've ever owned a dress that hasn't been ripped at least once yet. I'll see if Daffy or Dehlia can fix it. They are far better at sewing and charms than I am.

"Are you alright, Sissie? No scrapes or tears on you?"

Sisse wasn’t quite sure that it was Calla’s fault, in fact she had rather thought that it was her own fault, but it would be impolite to continue to object so she simply smiled and let the subject drop. At least Calla wasn’t too upset, Sisse could find some degree of comfort in that.

I’m glad.” Sisse truly was happy that her friend was unharmed, although she had entirely neglected the fact that Calla’s plant might have been harmed. Another pang of guilt leaped in her stomach, but Calla gestured to the plant which clearly was okay, and Sisse thought better of tormenting herself further over it.

She could hardly imagine tearing her dresses overly much, her mother would hardly have stood for that. In fact she often got tsked for the merest speck of dirt she might have gotten when playing with her brothers. Her mother insisted that Sisse must always look the part of a lady. Perhaps it would be different if she had elder sisters.

No, no, I’m quite alright. Just a bit surprised, that’s all.” And a little bit shaken up if she were honest. She gave her friend a reassuring smile.

She hadn’t really expected to see anyone down here, and perhaps part of her surprise came from that fact as well. “Do you come down here often?

As long as no harm had come to anyone but herself, the girl would have fought to the death that it was her fault. She never wanted to make anyone feel bad by her own doing. Really, if she didn't want others to make her feel bad why would she do so to someone else. She wasn't a pushover though. She knew her limits.

As for the dress, she wasn't too sure it had anything to deal with having older sisters. She had always attributed her freedom towards things more like the family profession or her parents' oddness. Or maybe just that with six other kids to care for, Calla had far more free reign and by the time the number had decreased enough for far more individualized attention, Calla had already become dead set in her ways.

"That's good, I'm glad you are okay too," she stated with a beaming smile, turning towards her patch. "The greenhouse? Yes. My family owns a flower shop in Hogsmeade actually - the Florist Potts - and we've always had greenhouses at home along with a fair bit of land. I grew up helping my mother and sisters in the work. The smell of dirt and green things just seem like home to me. At the beginning of the year I actually took on a patch of flowers left by someone from last year so I come down to care for them a lot. Do you? I don't think I have seen you down here other than for classes yet?"

"Oh! My mother purchases flowers from there." Sisse had never really considered that her friend might be related to one of her mother's shops.

"No. I don't normally, but..." It wasn't polite to complain but Sisse didn't want to seem as if she were not telling her friend something either. "I was just so tired of everything. It feels like winter is never going to end and well, my mother always keeps flowers, and so I thought it might remind me of home." She admitted sheepishly.

"Exactly!" the brown haired girl exclaimed with a smile. "That is exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong. I like the snow, I do. But its cold and lifeless in the winter and I cannot stand much of it. I can't wait for spring when everything comes back to life and the flowers bud and the little baby animals come out," she sighed sympathetically, leaning an elbow on the table to support her weight, not wanting it all on her feet. "Its quite the reason I like being in Hufflepuff. The dorm rooms are like a giant green house. Plants everywhere and its nice and toasty."

"Did it work? To remind you of home that is? My sisters tell me the homesickness lessen as we get old. First year is always the worse."

A smile spread over Sisse's lips at the agreement from her friend. "Are they?" She'd never really considered that the common rooms of the different houses might look different. In fact she rather imagined they were all the same just with different colors, a silly thought now that she knew better. "I wish the Gryffindor common room was like that. It's cozy, but it's so...." Sisse trailed off trying to think of the word. "Warm?" She suggested, shaking her head as soon as she said it knowing that wasn't what she meant. "It's like a room you'd want to hibernate in during the winter." She explained, although that didn't quite do it justice either.

Had it worked? Sisse really wasn't sure, she'd been rather distracted since she'd run into Calla. But looking back at her feelings when she entered the building, she supposed it had. Giving Calla a grateful smile for her understanding Sisse nodded, "Yes. I don't think it'd be so bad if only spring were here. Or even if we didn't have all our tests at the same time!"

She nodded to Sissie's question, "Its all yellows, greens, and browns. Very earthy. It kinda feels like I was a badger in its hole." At the mention of the Gryffindor Tower, she couldn't help but ask, "How is it warm? I don't know how a tower that high up in the wind and sky would stay warm. I'd think you would struggle being cold." She was surprised to find herself truthfully interested in the tower. "Honestly I'd think even our common room would get cold in the winter if it wasn't for being so close to the kitchen and all the windows."

"Spring will come soon I hope. And then it will warm up. Do you think when it does any of the teachers would have class outside once or twice? My governess used to do that if I was well-behaved. Oh but yes! Couldn't the teachers just talk to each other and not plan all our test for the same weeks? What is the point in that!? Last week was horrible."

From the way Calla explained the Hufflepuff room Sisse could almost see it. She smiled at the comparison, quite fitting to a badger hole if you were a badger. The Gryffindor room didn’t really remind Sisse of an avery that a Griffin might be in, for half a moment she wondered what that might be like. But to Calla’s question, she did suppose it would be cold. Which the common room really wasn’t at the moment. “Oh no, it’s quite comfortable. We have a large fireplace and I’m pretty sure there are charms to make sure it doesn’t get too drafty.” At least Sisse didn’t really recall being any more chilly than in any of their classrooms.

Oh I hope they do! Class outside would be so fun. But at least we’d be able to do our homework outside!” Sisse was quick to agree. Miss Hughes had also taken them outside when spring began, probably because Sisse and Henry had paid much more attention to the windows than to their schoolwork when the weather started to warm up.

It was! At least it’s over though. I just hope they don’t make us do that again.” They probably would though. After all this was just their first year.

"I wonder if we'll ever learn weather charms? It seems quite convenient. Imagine the greenhouse you could build with those. Or you could enchant your bedroom so you always be comfortable!" Now that she though about that, she really wanted to learn them - even if she couldn't actually perform them outside of school for another five years. Maybe Daffy would know them and be willing to do them. Or her mother. She shook her head then, forcing herself back to the conversation at hand.

"Yes, yes, yes. I miss everyone hanging out underneath the tree. I wonder if the Niffler still is there? Anyways, I'm always more productive outside so I cannot wait for all the snow to finally go away. But no, it probably will happen. If the teachers are harsh enough to do it now in our first year, they will do again in a later year," the brunette stated, echoing her friends thoughts. Calla frowned when she finished speaking, not pleased with the idea even if she had said it. She quite rather be wrong.

Oh! I wonder. I’d love to learn weather charms!” Honestly Sisse had never really considered it. But charms was her best subject and she’d love to always have a warm home. “We probably won’t learn those until after O.W.L.s.” Sisse frowned. “That feels like it is such a long time away from now.

Sisse chuckled at the memory of the niffler. “Hopefully it’ll warm up soon so we can find out if he’s still there.” It had been so nice this fall with all of them outside. Much better than the stuffy library.