Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Emilia Wright for Jude Wright. Casually alienating offspring since 18882.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

Fruitless
Open 
September 1st, 1888 — Irvingly Market
Taking a breather from his own shops setup, Philip had decided to see what else there was to see from the other vendors that had come to show off their wares. He had seen a cart full of delicious vegetables and he was definitely wanting to get his hands on some. Humming a little under his breath, he went in search of the vegetable cart but couldn't seem to find it among the different vendors.

After a bit of a - literally - fruitless search, Philip tapped the first person that he saw on the shoulder. Maybe they had seen it but he wouldn't know that until he was able to ask.

It was market day! Abi and her mother had gotten dressed in their semi-finest clothes and accompanied the servants to the market in town to investigate the new wares and see what delightful foods could be brought back for dinner for the next week. As it was, Abigail lived solely for the market days when there wasn't a ball to attend or a luncheon to go to because it showed her the outside world beyond that of her home and that immediately surrounding it.

So when her mother wandered over to look at a stall with lace baubles, Abi took the opportunity to peruse the small market area. There was a fruit stand that had apples that looked delightful enough to bite into, a small cart with fish on it-- she'd have to remind Mama that they didn't have any at the house later.

She'd just turned around to look at a sweets area when she felt her shoulder being tapped on. Turning with a smile, Abigail's polite one turned to something real. Well then. She didn't remember seeing him around town. "Yes?" she said happily. If this panned out, she could get Mama's pointed words about getting married out of her head for a while and then she could explore the market even more thoroughly. There were all of these little nooks and crannies that she wanted to investigate but with her mother right there, she knew she'd only get to see a few.

Glancing around at the people around her, Abi noted where her mother was and then directed her full grey gaze on the man standing nearby. "Can I help you?"
Philip smiled apologetically at the young woman whose attention he had gotten. "I'm sorry for the intrusion but I am in need of a bit of assistance. Have you seen any fruits or vegetables for sale? I saw it when I was setting up my own area but now cannot seem to find it." He chuckled a little at his own misfortune. It was rather important that he get some so that he could use them for his culinary creations but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

At the smile he gave her, Abigail had to return it. It was slightly infectious and smiling came so naturally to her anyways, that she just beamed right back at him. "Oh believe me, sir," she said with a nod of her head, for once it was perfectly coiffed thanks to her mother's assistance that morning and she was proud of how it provided a nice chignon at the nape of her neck. She was dressed in her third best outfit-- because, as Mama said, you must always look your best when going to town even though it was just for the market day-- and she felt rather pretty. "You simply cannot be an intrusion." A winsome smile was sent his way.

And the man she was looking at wasn't all that unattractive either. Where had men like him been the last three years at the parties she was forced encouraged to attend by her mother? All the ones she'd seen had weak chins and stooped shoulders. And if there was a man who looked like him at the party, they were most likely betrothed. Just her luck, right?

But now with Mama nearby, she could flirt with him all she wanted and still say she was being chaperoned. "Fruit and vegetables?" she repeated, looking around her, making sure that her profile hit the sunlight, "You know, I think I saw it that way." A long delicate finger was waved out in the general direction she remembered and another smile cast his way. "If you like, I could show you?"
"Oh? Well, that's nice of you to say," Philip said, a little oblivious to the fact that her words were meant as a flirtation. She seemed quite nice. He had been a little worried since some women could be a little snooty. He nodded in confirmation when she repeated his words. "Oh, that would be wonderful, thank you," the dark haired man said with a happy smile when she offered to show him where she had seen the cart. "I'm Philip Aymslowe, by the way. I own Sweet Delights."