Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Emilia Wright for Jude Wright. Casually alienating offspring since 18882.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

The Tower
See Inside 
August 10th, 1888 — Diggory Residence, Swallowbury (@ this event)

Inès winced when she saw what card she had laid down: the Tower.

"It's not the most favorable card for a current romance, I'm afraid," she explained with a sympathetic, apologetic smile. The garden party, so far as she could tell, was going very well indeed—this was her fifth reading, and she had spent a fair amount of time swanning about ~hostessing, too. Dolly, to her credit, had mustered something of a crowd, though the Moroccan could not help but feel as if she was being watched—and not in the normal, "I'm interesting come look at me" kind of way.

"But," she offered brightly, "it could mean good things if you're not presently entwined. Why don't you tell me more about your circumstances?"

Open to anyone who would be attending the garden party, likely MC or lower/"new money" UC!

Gideon truly hadn't planned on attending the garden party. It had all seemed to be a bit of a stretch. And the whole premise of this Inès was a bit iffy in his opinion. But, as his circumstances had quite decidedly changed, he was feeling a bit cautious and perhaps even a bit desperate.

Only a week had passed since the realization Billie was actually his child, his daughter, and his entire life and thought process had been flipped upside down. He'd never really given any of his escapades in his younger days a second thought. He'd been lucky and never had a woman come to him saying she was with his child. But, then again, he made a habit of not returning to the scene of the crime if it could be helped. Apparently, the one time with Anna had been enough to see Billie as a result. And now the little lass, parading about as a lad for who knew how long, had taken up refuge in his shop. He'd insisted it, really, and had been okay with her continuing to act the part of a boy until he could figure things out. For now, she was his apprentice. He'd see to her schooling when she came of age but she would have to as a she. There'd be no ifs ands or buts about it. But that meant he needed a woman in his life. Someone to help him because, quite frankly, he didn't have a clue.

So he'd gone to the garden party. He'd simply lingered about initially but then his ever curious mind had gotten the better of him. He'd decided to see what the Inès woman could really do and had taken up a position in front of her so she could do one of her readings. The wince wasn't lost on him when she turned the card, resulting in him regarding her with a raised brow. But her mentions of a current romance didn't have anything to do with him.

"Not entwined in the slightest," he answered, hazel eyes returning to her own face after having looked at the tower. He hadn't ever really had a true romance, come to think of it. Just flings, things for fun. "I've yet to meet a woman that proves more interesting than my craft," he added honestly.
Ugh, he was one of those. Their detached states should have worked in her favour, but Inès had always found that, at the end of the day, those married to their work were reluctant to put in the effort (read: money) necessary to find love the prophetic way. Still, he was here, he had taken some bait. Now it was her job to get a hook in him.

“Well that’s fortunate,” she laughed, “at least as far as this card is concerned! You see, where Death would have simply marked new beginnings, The Tower instead marks new beginnings following calamity. ‘Calamity’, though, is used loosely here,” Inès hastened to reassure the gentleman. She didn’t want to frighten him away!

“For all we know—at least for now—you might catch the dragon pox and wake up in hospital, the healer of your dreams beaming down upon you!”

Gideon raised a brow as she further continued to explain and mentioned "calamity." He had a feeling suddenly finding out one was the father of a nine year old girl who paraded about as a boy easily qualified as some form of calamity. Unfortunately, he wasn't about to admit such a thing to her. That was a tidbit he didn't plan on telling anyone really. Well, besides Quincey, but he'd needed someone to discuss it with.

"Oh I do think calamity may have already struck," he answered a bit easily but didn't bother to expand further on that, "So perhaps love is closer than I thought." Or could hope. Not that he really worried for it to be strictly about love. He just needed a wife that was willing to help with with raising Billie. She'd need a woman in her life, after all.