Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

A Little Good News
August 6th, 1888 - Ollivander's Hogsmeade
Gideon Ollivander

The anticipation of getting her wand back had dimmed significantly since her... realization the other day. Febs felt like she was constantly walking on eggshells, wondering, constantly thinking about what the hell she was going to do with her life. Still, it would be  necessary and so as Mr. Ollivander had requested, she waited until Monday to stop into the shop to pick up her thankfully not completely broken wand.

Stepping into the store, with Mrs. Harding in tow yet again, who was giving her that I'm worried about you look, Febby put on the best smile she could muster. Mrs. H. had been her only hope. Febby knew she had family that lived in France, her daughter, if Febs remembered right, and once she was completely sure she was with child, she was going to ask for her housekeeper's help. That was the backup plan anyway. After last night's dramatic go-around with Edric, she wasn't so sure she'd be able to really follow through.

"Mr. Ollivander, how good to see you again. Your letter was most cheering for me." Thank Merlin for a little good news.

[Image: cTe3ze.png]
The start of a week with no fog had brought with it a flurry of business. Gideon had hardly had a chance to even sit down let alone leave the front of the shop. It didn't help that he was also thoroughly distracted with the recent revelations of Billie. He sincerely wasn't sure what he should do or how he should do it but they'd been making due at the very least. Clearly, however, he head a lot to figure out. But as it was, he was grateful for the distractions of customers.

He'd just managed to actually settle in his stool behind the counter when the bell chimed. As he realized who this customer was, he offered a smile. "I'm glad I can be of service in more way than one then, Miss Lynch," he replied with a mischievous twinkle to his eyes, "Let me fetch your wand."

Nodding to the woman with her, the same one that had come with her the last time, he slipped into the back of the office just momentarily to grab the wand in its box before heading back to the front. He set the box on the counter and opened it up to reveal her wand nestled in its own little velvet nest. "You were quite lucky," he said with a nod, "The core proved to be rather resilient. It should be just like new now." Motioning to it with his hand, he nodded again as if to tell her to go ahead and give it a try.

February managed a better smile when he presented her as-good-as-new wand back to her. Lucky, how ironic. She almost let out a hollow laugh at that, but managed to keep it to a light chuckle. "I appreciate all of your time, Mr. Ollivander. I thought a few extra days would not be much difference after a month without, but I was so very wrong." It was a wonderful excuse in her favor however, for as long as it had lasted.

Plucking it carefully from the case, Febs felt that warm rush of familiarity and with a swish and flick of her wrist, cast a levitation spell on a nearby quill. Much to her delight, it floated nicely off the desk. Not that she'd doubted him, but to have the proof was such an immense relief. "Now, if I can avoid falling on it in the future, we'll be all set." That would be the icing on the cake in her life.

"Thank you for all you've done." She passed Mr. Ollivander a sincere smile.  

Gideon chuckled himself at the mention of being wrong about not getting the wand back right away. He knew all too well how that could have felt. He'd been beyond relieved when the fog had lifted and couldn't have imagined not being able to use magic right away when he was able to. "Well I appreciate your patience," he answered with a smile. He'd gotten far busier than he'd thought he would so quickly. Especially with trying to create a room for Billie in the back.

He watched quietly, a pleasant smile on his features as she cast the levitation charm and proved her wand looked like a breeze. He chuckled again about her falling. "That would be ideal, but not just for your wand," he said, eyes resting on her own face, "Wouldn't want to do any harm to your person as well after all."

There was something off about her compared to the last time they'd chatted but Gideon wasn't the type to push, especially since he didn't truly know her. "You're very welcome, Miss Lynch," he said with a gracious smile, "I'm glad to have been of service and can be in the future anytime you should need it."

Chuckling goodnaturedly, Febs shook her head a little. "Well, I've never been the most patient of creatures, it tends to land me in trouble, so I'm working on it." Oh had it ever, on several occasions lately. Mrs. H cast her a dubious look that Febby had to promptly turn away from, lest she give away too much in her expression.

Tucking her wand into her pocket, Febs felt a little more at ease just having it back on her person. Funny how it essentially felt like missing a limb when without. "Unfortunately I doubt my clumsiness will be leaving me any time soon, despite my  best efforts." She tended to be rather graceful, when she took her time. It was in haste that she ended up getting tangled up or caught not paying attention. Febs had always been impulsive in her movements, much like other aspects of her life. That too landed her in trouble. Big trouble.

"I do hope you won't be too overwhelmed with business in the coming weeks, though I'm sure it's preferable to the idleness off the fog," Febs said offhand as she searched her other pocket for her coin purse. "Oh the darling first years must all becoming in soon." She remembered her first time to the shop like it was yesterday, though she'd purchased hers in Diagon Alley.

"I suppose those that are clumsy are what keep me in business," Gideon said with a faint shrug, "After all, there's only one time a year where I sell a multitude of new wands and the fog certainly put a damper on that this year." The fog had been an awful hindrance. He had a feeling he'd have many ornately carved wands sitting about for years to come as a result. He may have gotten a little over zealous with his hand carving when he was unable to actually make new wands.

He smiled at he mention of the first years. They certainly made things interesting and were truly a bright spot in his career. "Oh they've already begun trickling in," he added with a chuckle, "I imagine they'll be coming in en mass soon enough though."

Febby finally got her hands on her coin purse though paused as Mr. Ollivander continued. "It must be so satisfying though, to match a wand with its destined owner." She smiled fondly at the thought, watching her younger siblings get their wands, just seeing it happen for other people. Febby had no idea just how much work went into making a wand, but she assumed a great deal of care and concentration, so watching it find its home must have been incredibly rewarding.  Merlin she hoped she could do something worthwhile with her own life at some point. Being a mother would likely do it, as unplanned as this was.

"I doubt you'd trade it for the tediousness of the fog, I know I wouldn't." Febs would rather be busy all the time. The idleness of the last month had nearly driven her mad. "How much do I owe you, Mr. Ollivander?" She would hate to take up too much of his time. He would likely get busy soon enough.

Gideon nodded with a smile. "Yes, seeing the first years is always a joy," he said with a brightness to his eyes at the thought, "It's quite the experience to watch the wand choose it's match and to see the excitement on the child's face." There was actually nothing quite like it, of that he was sure.

"And you're quite right," he said with a chuckle, "I'll take mobs of incoming first years over the fog any day. I've got more ornately carved wands than I'll likely ever know what to do with as a result" Truthfully, he'd probably never need to carve another wand the entire time he ran the shop. There were surely more than enough to see him through unless someone were to come in with a specific request though such a thing was really quite rare.

"Three knuts should do it, Miss Lynch," he added with a nod.

Febs realized belatedly that if her suspicions were right, the next wand in her family she'd be buying would be for her own child. That hit her harder than she would have cared to admit. Her smile faltered only briefly and she quickly looked down to count out the money she owed him. By the time she looked back up she was the image of a perfectly content customer.

"At least you were able to occupy yourself, I wish I could say I was as successful myself. Though, I'm sure they're all beautiful and will find their homes someday." She smiled as she passed over the coins. "Almost a pity I didn't need a new one." It was a joke- she'd have been devastated if she'd needed a new one. How did one ever get used to a new wand anyway?

Gideon, perhaps, was not the most observant of men so didn't notice the faltering of her smile or that she'd managed to overcome it. Instead he simply nodded along in response in regards to keeping himself busy.

"Ahh but is it really a shame?" he asked with a simple shrug, "I've had to craft a new wand for myself before. While it is a rather suiting wand, it still isn't quite the same. I don't think anything can quite replace a witch or wizard's first wand." A connection truly did form with a wand and its wielder. Losing an initial wand could certainly be a disaster for some.

Well, he had here there. "I quite agree, it's rather akin to losing a limb, or so I've been told." She wasn't sure she'd every really heard from somebody it had happened to, but it had been likened to it somewhere along the line. "Crafting one for yourself must have been terribly tricky." Febs always wondered if wandmakers were able to craft a wand specifically with a person in mind, but hadn't the inclination to ask.

"I fear I've already taken up enough of your day, best of luck with the first years and thank you again, Mr. Ollivander." Febs would have normally been more than happy to stay and chit chat, but she wasnt'e exactly feeling herself, and he was likely busy now that he could actually get back to work. With one more warm smile, she and Mrs. H took their leave to head home. Febs was in desperate need of a nap.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Henrietta Davis
January 7, 2019 – 8:01 PM
View a Printable Version