Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Count Backwards From Ten
03 July, 1888
Arabella,

I woke up this morning with a tight chest at the thought of what's happening in Hogsmeade this morning, so I can't begin to imagine what it's like for you. Even without being able to use magic ourselves, the thought of no magic working causes me a great deal of anxiety! There haven't been any terrible new developments, have there? No hags in the streets? Werewolves out despite the sun shining bright?

Yours,
Flora

04 July 1888
Flora,

Oh my dearest friend! The news you've heard is just as terrifying as it is here. No magic? What are we to do! Mum is nervous, Father is anxious and Mabell, well, she has just about lost her mind. She just wanders the halls moaning like a ghost about how she can't use magic to curl her hair right, and how her wand doesn't work. Alphonse doesn't really care though. I haven't seen any hags yet, but it would not surprise me if there were! I'm just afraid of werewolves to begin with, so I have hardly ventured outside the front door.

Sincerely,
Arabella

[Image: xsVQr8.png]
made by the LOVELY MJ!
05 July, 1888
Arabella,

I might have already died by now, I'm sure. The thought of being constrained to my home is awful, and I'm positive my mother would not have allowed me to step into that dusty air if not for the purpose of leaving!

I'm glad to have heard from you so swiftly, though; it soothes my nerves to know everyone is not dying, as some have suggested. I have yet to hear from some family still in Hogsmeade, but I keep telling myself that mother would have said something if we were entering mourning.

Yours,
Flora

07 July, 1888
Flora,

I must say, the confinement is rather awful. I cannot even go get more books to read. There are only so many books that a proper young lady is allowed to read in the library my parents have and I am running low. I find it takes my mind off the unsavory things that might be going bump in the night.
If it would soothe your mind, I will ask my mother if she knows about your family here in Hogsmeade. As connected as she is to the community, she will surely know if something has happened. Do not fret, we will let you know as soon as possible.

Truly yours,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
08 July, 1888
Arabella,

You need not go out of your way to ensure my family is fine! I'm sure my mother knows more than I do; otherwise I hardly doubt she'd be sleeping as soundly as she has.

What sort of books are you looking to read? I'm sure I could find something from around here to send you! I don't really like to read much, anyways; I have been practicing my sketching nearly every hour, though!

Yours,
Flora

09 July, 1888
Flora,

I know you said I didn't have to, but I asked Mother about your family. She did not know anything concrete, but she had not heard anything bad that had happened so far. I hope they are fine, for your sake, as well as everyone else's. This fog is getting rather tedious and I hope it dissipates soon.
I love any type of book, really, as long as Mother approves. She knows what is best, after all. I would greatly appreciate anything you would send though, if your mother approves, I imagine mine would too.

Your friend,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
10 July, 1888
Arabella,

Have you, at the very least, been able to purchase the school supplies that don't require magic? I know supply lists haven't been sent out yet, but there are some supplies — robes, cauldrons, quills — that never change. I would be completely willing to open a book right now if I had something related to next year's studies!

I wouldn't even know what to pick! I hardcover book with a pretty pink covering, though the title was in some foreign language despite the contents being completely in English. What do you like to read?

Yours,
Flora

11 July, 1888
Flora,

My mother has had the supplies for next year purchased ages ago. I think she bought things when I showed my first sign of magic several years ago. She gets things in pieces, so that she is not spending a lot at a time. Last thing we need is my robes but she doesn't want to get that until right before the school year starts so that if I have a growth spurt she doesn't have to get more robes.

Honestly? I like silly books, things about unicorns and dragons being friends. I know it would not actually happen, but it is nice to read about. But my mother thinks they are too young for me, so I don't get to read them frequently. I am happy, I suppose, reading what she gives me, so like I stated in my last letter, I'd take anything you would send, even a pink book with a foreign name!

Happily your friend,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
12 July, 1888
Arabella,

I would not stand for anything except getting my school supplies all at once! It's all a part of the experience, and one I would not give up for the world. I've been waiting for the day I get to visit Diagon Alley to purchase my school supplies since my brother went off to Hogwarts! Do you plan to bring a pet to school?

I've sent the pink book with a foreign title; hopefully it comes with mentions of unicorns and dragons, but I confess I'm not too hopeful of that. I would take a book full of pictures over others any day; they're much more soothing.

Yours,
Flora

13 July, 1888
Flora,

I suppose since Mother has taken Mabell and Alphonse to Diagon Alley, she's tired of the whole ordeal. I shouldn't complain though, I at least get to go for the magical parts later on. Since my brother has a giant toad, my sister has an owl, Mother has promised me whatever I want. I think I want a cat.

I received your book, thank you for it! I have started reading it already. There are no mentions of dragons or unicorns so far, but it is interesting enough. It appears to be about a vampire's mistress. Mother would definitely not approve, which is why I am sneaking it into my bedroom tonight and hiding it where she cannot find it. Have you seen the Muggle books where the pictures don't move? Outlandish!

Yours,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
14 July, 1888
Arabella,

I suppose I'm fortunate enough to be the second-born in my family, then. I would not survive if I did not get to pick out my own supplies! I have not decided if I will ask my parents for an owl or cat, yet; cats are far more affectionate, but owls serve a practical purpose!

You should put that book away! If your mother catches you for reading it, I will not be held responsible for providing you with any sort of filth. (Or at the very least, you must pin the blame on someone else!)

Yours,
Flora

15 July, 1888
Flora,

Cats are not only more affectionate than owls, but they're just as practical. They can catch rats, even if they're pets of the other students. My father's cat once caught a giant toad and dropped it in the living room. That's how Alphonse got his toad. Father was going to let Horatio eat the awful thing, but Alphonse stepped in. Now the toad is everywhere. I once found him sitting in my dresser drawer with my underthings.

And no worries, my dear Flora, if Mother were to find the book you sent me, I would blame it on Mabell. She's good for things like that. She almost always takes the blame for me. Not that I do things wrong, mind you, but occasionally I get a little wild. Nothing like some other girls our age though. Have you heard about what Agnes did before the fog? She got caught kissing a girl. Her mother was so flustered!

Yours,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
16 July, 1888
Arabella,

Cats can't deliver letters, though, and I just know I'm going to be homesick! I know Hogwarts is supposed to have delivery owls, but what if they don't find my mother? Though I do suppose my mother would make her best efforts to contact me if that were the case — I'll see.

Trouble-making girls are selfish ones; they put their family through so much turmoil. Hopefully Agnes' mother can straighten her out with the help of extensive etiquette tutoring. I don't see why she'd want to kiss a girl, anyways; that's so gross!

Yours,
Flora

17 July, 1888
Flora,

I do understand the need to write home, and if I need to borrow a school owl, I will. Besides, if you get an owl, I will simply ask you.

I absolutely agree, girls like Agnes need extensive etiquette tutoring. Could you imagine the shame her mother must feel, having found out her daughter was kissing a girl? It made my mother gossip with her friends for an entire hour. I must ask you though, dear Flora, since we are starting school in September, which House do you think you will be Sorted into? I am hoping for Ravenclaw, as I have a great love of books. I imagine you'd be in Gryffindor, as brave as you are!

Sincerely yours,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!
18 July, 1888
Arabella,

I can't imagine kissing a girl is any worse than kissing a boy; it's probably less awful, really. That doesn't make it any less appalling, but it's not as if her mother can undo the kiss.

I have no issue seeing you in Ravenclaw, although I can equally see you donning yellow in Hufflepuff! You have a very good heart and I'm sure the hat will see that. I don't believe Gryffindor is the right place for me; my mother was a Slytherin and my father a Ravenclaw.

Merriweather was a Slytherin, so I always imagined I'd be there or in Ravenclaw. I don't really enjoy books, though, but Ravenclaw isn't all about books, right? It's cleverness, too, and wit! I'd have thought this is something I would have figured out by now, with school so close, but I'm stuck!

Yours,
Flora

19 July, 1888
Flora,

Pardon my lack of pleasantries, but I feel I must jump straight to the heart of things. I do not see you as a Slytherin, even if your mother was one. Perhaps my views of you are skewed, as we are dear friends, but I see you more in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. You are right though, I will likely don the yellow when I get to Hogwarts. And that pleases me, I have no issues with any of the Houses except for maybe Slytherin, I am not gritty enough for the House. And now that I have said that, watch the Hat Sort me into Slytherin.

Oh well, we shall see where we end up. If the fog doesn't go away, we might not ever make it to Hogwarts in the fall. That would be horrible.

Yours,
Arabella

made by the LOVELY MJ!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version