Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

"Did You Know?" Blurbs
    Did you know? The phrase ‘straight-laced’ comes from a method of tying corsets? It was favoured by the upper classes because it was tighter and required a skilled maid to get you in and out, whereas ‘cross-lacing’ was frowned upon as it was looser and was easy to get in and out of by yourself, and was even associated with promiscuity.

Did you know? Most Victorian hairstyles required additional hairpieces which would be made by a wigmaker from hair collected by a maid from their mistress’ hairbrush. Used 05/04

Did you know? Victorian ‘mascara’ was made by melting black wax over eyelashes and using a special comb to form it? Only prostitutes and actresses would wear any, along with most other make up aside from lip balm and face powder.
    [Image: LVt7zaV.jpg]
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Jenny has sold her soul to gods of architecture and is most likely absent to some degree unless otherwise said. If you need me, various people have non-charming ways of throwing stones at me
    Did you know? The quintessential Victorian art is that of the Pre-Raphaelites, but by the 1880s it had to some extent given way to the Aesthetic Movement, which was much less morally fixated.
    I just moved to a new country! [Image: mThvFq.png]
    set by MJ!

[Image: 11shy53.gif][Image: 16204dv.gif]
    Did you know? Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) was used by the Victorians as a recreational drug?
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Jenny has sold her soul to gods of architecture and is most likely absent to some degree unless otherwise said. If you need me, various people have non-charming ways of throwing stones at me
    I wish I could say this was the weirdest thing I've googled.

Did you know? Perforated toilet paper wasn't invented until 1891! Toilet paper itself wasn't commercially available in any form until 1857.
    [Image: fKgWBtu.png]
    Set by Nolan! <3
    [Image: AwkwardBt.png][Image: q4dbTiu.jpg]
    Did you know? William Gladstone is currently prime minister, yet this is his second stint! He will resign this year, only to be reinstated and resign again next year, then becoming prime minister again from 1892-1894!
    Gertrude speaks with a Mancunian accent
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME DRAWING BY JENNY
    [Image: 7D8ZuIl.png]
    the glory is of course MJ's
    [Image: jhucnm.jpg][Image: 29wak5e.gif][Image: Baintaine2_zps2cbaf4a1.gif]
    Did you know? Corsets were very rarely, if ever, actually unlaced. They had buttons or hooks down the front to get in and out, and the lacing was purely to adjust the fit once the lady was wearing it.
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    This didn't at all start out as yet another argument for people to make northerners.

Nope.

Not at all.

>.>

<.<

ANYHOO:

Did you know? In the 1881, there were only roughly 35 million people in the United Kingdom! Compared to almost 70 million people living in the United Kingdom and Ireland today!

Did you know? In 1900 (only fifteen years away!), the world's most populous city was London! And in ninth place was Manchester!

Did you know? In 1875 there were roughly only 1,325,000,000 people on the entire planet! That's roughly a seventh of what it is today!

Did you know? In 1881 75% of the population was English or Welsh. Compared with just 15% Irish and 10% Scottish! Used 04/22

Although lbr, 75% English and Welsh means 74% English, 1% Welsh. Obviously it's not so crazy xD but you get my drift.

Also I'm such a fucking hypocrite, I write this from my Scottish lady's account. Whooops.
    Cecily speaks with a light Scottish accent
    [Image: CecilySig_zpswz0fqlpi.png]
    Beesets are the best sets
    [Image: 2ex82v6.png]
    Beanie's one about the Irish question made me think of this:

Did you know? The Labour Party, which in 2015 is the main left wing party in the UK, wasn't even founded yet in 1885! It won't be founded until 1900.
    [Image: ahId4rS.png]
    ermergerd this MJ set is so beautiful
    (03-02-2015, 12:30 AM)Emma Macmillan Wrote: so what you're telling me is that people can get high as balls and read anna karenina in a year

"Did you know? France is currently on their seventh government of the 19th century."
    /it's ten if you count the 3 governments of the First Republic as being separate, but they're all technically First Republic until napoleon goes all empire

I've mentioned this in the cbox before, and I shan't phrase it as a proper did you know, but I'll share. I have literally no idea why it's taken me this long to work out.

Before elections in the UK, parliament is dissolved, only to be formed again after the election by the winning party. So technically we have a shit ton of govermentments, in the 21st century, we're about to have our fifth government (and I don't think we technically have a government at the moment right now). The government created in 1885 was the twenty third of the century! Yes, twenty third. But because the UK has a politics system based heavily on parties, each government had 1-5 prime ministers, and a lot of these men served as PM several times - meaning there could be about 100+ prime ministers over the 23 governments!

Also fixed term lengths didn't happen until this term. Governments used to be able to call elections whenever they wanted, but they abused this power by calling elections when they were at their most popular and it kept the opposition on the back foot. Now it's fixed at five years (which means I can't vote in a general election unless parliament is dissolved early for some reason until 2020).
    The things I learn by reading the back of Andreas' baby cream food box:

The first infant formula, known as Farine Lactée, was created by Henri Nastlé in 1867.
    less cheery facts that reminded me of

Did you know? Only 2 in 10 Victorian children born in cities would live to see their second birthday?

Did you know? The first baby bottles were only cleaned once or twice a month, and were nicknamed 'Murder Bottles' because of the deadly bacteria they harboured? Used 04/22
    Even Mrs Beeton recommended only cleaning them once every two to three weeks XD

Did you know? In the late 1800s it was fashionable to have dark green wallpaper, coloured with arsenic. It wasn't until the 1890s that it was proven that the vapours from it could be deadly, by which point it had killed hundreds.

Arsenic was also found in most other wallpaper colours, but green was particularly bad.
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Did you know? In 1885 the counties of England were different. The counties of Tyne and Wear, Merseyside, and Greater Manchester did not exist, but a county called Huntingdonshire did!

Also because reasons that are mostly me being a dick about the France thing and the fact that no one read my wall of text it seems (which is all my fault, I will admit):

Did you know? The British government created in 1885 will be the twenty third of the century!
    Did you know? Secret ballots were only mass introduced in Britain in 1872! Before that, all votes had to be named and conducted in public.
    and candidates would stand over people whilst they filled them in
    I owe MJ all my love <3
    Did you know? The most widely known English translation of the Kama Sutra was privately printed in 1883.
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Tristan Michaud's post:
       Rasmus Mohr
    1/8 vampire, has a light dash of a French accent
    PLAY TRISTAN'S ROMANTIC INTEREST/BAD INFLUENCE
    [Image: mBgvze.png]
    [Image: fbG6udO.png][Image: IVbwHN.png][Image: AnQ1s0Z.png]
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    I downloaded this 'Today In History' app on my phone...

The law that abolished slavery in Brazil, the Lei Áurea, was adopted on May 13th 1888.

Georgios Papanikolaou, the inventor of the Pap test, was born on May 13th 1883.
    I might have been researching for a future character.

Did you know? Braille was invented in 1809, though the first Braille writing machine won't be invented until 1892.
    Ian speaks with a Scottish accent. If Steph tried to write it, she would offend every Scottish person to ever live.