Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

A Court of Thorns and Roses
The first in the Court of Thorns and Roses Series it is a Fantasy series that blends fairy tales and fantasy in twists of adventure. From Goodreads:

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

A Court of Thorns and Roses blends fantasy, adventure, the old fairy tales of England and Ireland, and a retelling of Beauty and the Beast into a mixture of adventure, love, and horror. I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on it!

This is a discussion thread for people who have read or are reading the book in question. With that in mind, there are likely to be spoilers throughout. However, in the event of major twists or “how it ends”, please wrap content in spoiler tags.

Code:
[spoiler]Surprise!content here[/spoiler]

The following 1 user Likes Sisse Thompsett's post:
   Declan Wood

[Image: Xz1bS1e.png]
*sniff* Bee made her look all grown up <3
I admit that my view of this book is jaded by having read the rest of the series this winter (except the newest one that I just found out was published in the last few months). That being said, I am going to try and not let that change my opinion in what I say here.

I thought the first book was excellent both as a stand alone and the start of a series. Sarah J. Maas provided a well crafted world and discussed some prejudices that are explored on both sides of the Wall. I did find her a bit raunchy from time to time but it did not take away from the story. In fact I thought that book, while it could almost be divided into two parts, did a wonderful job blending fantasy and fairy tales together. I am a HUGE sucker for fairy tale retellings and I admit that I was pleasantly surprised that it was not just one story but several that were tied in. The faires that Maas provides for the story remind me much of the old fairy tales of changelings and Tam Lin that I loved when I was younger, with wicked distrustful streaks of personality that are developed both through the book and the series. That is not to say that Maas did not also explore human distrust or prejuides as well throughout the story.

Overall I thought the story was rather good and really enjoyed reading it.

I couldn't get into the book as well as I would have liked , but that's almost true with all of the first books. Especially when they're trying to build a whole new world.  That has history and creatures and lore and everything. It's like an onslaughter of information because these characters know everything about the world they were born and raised in. I  also read the second and third one. But Mass must've done something right because there is two more -- and counting -- books after that are in the same world.

Show

MJ made Avril's set!
Ocean I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

Show

I'm of a similar mind as Fallin, honestly. I've read the entire series and read them all pretty rapidly one after another so I have a hard time differentiating my feelings on them as a whole. I did, however, like how Maas builds the whole world for you. She's an amazing descriptive writer so there's times where you can really see the world she'd built.

Show

Another Glorious MJ Set!
[Image: xy6Q4W.png]
While I agree with you Hawke, especially after book 2, I have always loved the story of Beauty and the Beast. Which the first book was billed and read as. So I admit:

Show

I mean, it isn't like we're diving headfirst into a character that knows everything about the world already.

No, we're introduced as Feyre is introduced. Sure there's some bits that we have to guess at, like her history which isn't completely covered, but they're so... Small ... That it really doesn't matter. Most of what we get from her past is rather straightforward: she's had to hunt for her family the last few year's, she has two older sisters, her mother is dead, and he father has a limp. Straightforward enough.

The more Feyre finds out about life Above The Wall is when we learn about it too. Sure, there's mentions of scary creatures but they're never given a name until she learns them.
Show

MJ made Avril's set!
I’m two years late but better late than never, right?

I have some thoughts:
Show

set by MJ <3
This was suggested to me by a friend who loves it and the tl;dr is: how do I politely say I couldn’t finish it because I found it silly?

It started out alright and I truly thought I would like it, but it kinda went downhill when...

Show

set by mj <3

View a Printable Version